Author's Chapter Notes:
Updated 12.5; Dun, dun, dun ...

Music thudded in my ears, my whole body vibrating with the heavy bass playing from the speakers all around us. Cameras flashed, voices screamed in every direction, and a hand held to the small of my back, kneading the tender spot gently as I stood there, smiling and posing for photos.

"Are you okay?"

I felt the heat of JC's face closer to my ear as I nodded, we both still keeping smiles as we posed for photos. My entire body had been tense and sore all day and it just seemed to be worsening as the hours wore on. I knew it was because of my heels, which JC tried to talk me out of, but I knew it'd be a long time after this baby came that I'd even remotely want to look this good. I opted to wear a red reversible v-neck with an empire waist made of chiffon and stretchy material underneath to keep my watermelon-sized belly comfortable, a white ribbon tying below the bust and resting from the peak of my belly and dropping to the hem of the dress. The dress itself was comfortable, but me, I was not.

But I'd get through this day.

April 28. The day JC's album dropped. According to Rob, he was blowing away all competition in the internet sales, since that was how the market worked nowadays - digital downloads were ruling the world and as I saw it, would take over the actual CD in the years to come - it ruined music for me that way. 'You Ruined Me' was playing fairly well on the adult-contemporary, holding at a steady number 3 in the singles charts - and it was definitely with all the publicity promos he had been doing since January nonstop.

"Are you sure?"

I turned to look at him then, giving him a smile. "Just sore, is all. She's moving a lot in there."

"I can tell, your back is really tense." He placed a hand on my belly we both turning and posing yet again for the cameras. "Let me know if you're getting any more uncomfortable, okay?"

I nodded, squeezing his side reassuringly as our heads both turned, hearing the familiar laugh of one of his former groupmates.

"Hey, C!" Joey came up, shaking his hand and turned to me, giving me one of his bright smiles, "hey, mami! Hey, Buddha!" He rubbed my belly as I laughed, he placing a kiss on my cheek. "I'm so proud of you, Jace. For the album, and for everything else," he grinned, stepping between us and throwing his arms over our shoulders, we all smiling for the photo-op yet again. Seriously, I was going to get a little annoyed.

"You ready to go inside, babe?"

I looked over, feeling JC tug on my hand as I nodded, hand at the peak of my belly, every step aching. I had been having minor Braxton-Hicks contractions for the better part of the week, my doctor telling me the baby looked to be coming in right on time and there was no need to worry about anything until at least May 3rd. So, that is what I was doing: not worrying. Not worrying and popping my knuckles from holding onto the fabric of my dress so tightly.

"Hey, beautiful!"

I turned my head, seeing Joey's wife, Kelly, fast approaching, she dressed in a black A-Line and looking as beautiful as ever. "Hey, woman!"

She laughed at my greeting, hugging me gently as she pulled away, taking a good look at my belly. "Damn girl, you dropped! Baby soon?"

"About a week or so," I said, shrugging. "Doctor Benson said at least May 3rd. But right now, I am wishing I'd of already had this baby. I'm so uncomfortable ..."

Kelly gave me a sympathetic smile, running a hand up and down my arm, "that's how it usually gets near the end. Just enjoy the sleep while you can."

"What sleep?" I shook my head, pouting. "Everytime I get comfortable, the baby moves and I'm uncomfortable all over again."

"Ansty like her father, huh?"

"Oh, yes." I grinned, looking back at JC as he shot us an offended look, a smile tugging on his lips. "Are you sitting at our table?"

"We are," she smiled, "but I've got to go greet some more people. Otherwise, Joey's going to get so caught up in conversation that he's gonna forget where he is."

I laughed, waving her off as she grinned, disappearing behind the masses as JC tugged my hand once more, leading us to the head table. Since it was so close to the end of my pregnancy, the party was a little over a week ago and this was more of a release dinner. I had been able to go out dancing with him, though I only lasted a few hours until my ankles began to throb. I caught glimpse of the rest of his groupmates, Lance sitting next to his new boyfriend, Ben; Justin with a girl I had not met yet, though had heard her name was Alana; Chris was with Adair, a woman that he had been seeing since Christmas and Joey obviously being Mr. Social and with Kelly.

"Lily, are you sure you're -"

I laughed, putting my hand to his mouth, shaking my head, "I'm fine, Josh. Really. The baby is moving, moving a lot, actually; it's normal at the end of a pregnancy."

"Okay." He pulled out the chair for me, waiting as I slowly sat down before gently pushing me in.

"So how's the marriage coming along, C?" Chris looked at the both of us, waiting for an answer. "Married what ... nine months now, right? What did you do, conceive a honeymoon baby?"

We both laughed, he squeezing my hand gently and nodding. "We must have. And it's going good, Chris. You should try it someday."

"This coming from the guy who swore he'd never marry."

"I probably never would if it hadn't of been for her," he said, looking at me as I saw the familiar flash of nervousness cast over his eyes. He hadn't told them. "Obviously."

I laughed, watching as a woman placed a plate of steaming appetizers in front of us. I could smell them as they passed, stomach roaring to life as the baby moved. Good God, child! I rubbed my belly, letting JC put a few of the pieces of food onto a plate for me and thanking him with a smile, putting the food to my mouth and chewing it slowly, listening to the four of them (Joey was still socializing) reminisce about the last time they had been together and all the mishaps that always tended to happen with Justin and JC ended up doing something on the bus that they weren't supposed to do.

My back began to ache terribly at my lower back again, JC turning and watching me as I kneaded the sore spot, he reaching down and pushing my hand away, rubbing it gently as I continued shifting, feeling the baby move yet again. But the baby moved drastically, kicking just above my ribs and making me cry out in shock. Everyone at the table jumped as I gave them a sheepish smile, waving it off as I placed another piece of food in my mouth, chewing. She moved again, my eyes shifting downward and watching as my upper belly literally became hard as a rock as a pain ripped through the side of my belly. Oh, my God.

I gripped the sides of my belly and breathed out slowly, trying not to cause a scene. This was my husbands release party, I couldn't just suddenly end up in labor. This was his day, not the baby's.

"Lily?"

"I'm okay," as I got up slowly, waving off his helping hand, "I just need to go to the bathroom."

"I'm going to go with her," Kelly said, suddenly appearing at the table and becoming my saving grace, "I've got to fix my make-up anyway."

She looped her arm through mine as she waved off the worried looks, leading me through the people and towards the bathroom, "are you okay?"

I nodded, waiting as she pushed open the bathroom door, we both walking in as she set her purse on the counter, me standing next to her. "Oh, God," I mumbled, hands gripping the edge of the counter as I let my head drop, stomach aching once more. "Kelly -"

"Honey, you're having contractions," she said softly, putting her things back into her purse as she ran a hand soothingly up and down my back, "you're in labor."

"I can't be," I said softly, shaking my head, "the baby is still a week early. The doctor said she wouldn't be here until at least May ..."

"You're having contractions, Lily," Kelly said softly, hand dropping off of my back as I stood, straightening my dress and shaking my head. "No?"

"Braxton-Hicks. That's what the doctor said -"

"They aren't that painful," she argued. "Lily, we should get you to the hospital -"

"I'll be fine," I said softly, shaking my head. "Just ... let's just get back out there and enjoy dinner."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Lily -"

"Yes, I'm sure. I don't want to ruin this for him. This is his day."

"All right." Kelly picked up her purse, looping her arm through mine once more as we walked slowly back to the table, stopping every so often when people would stop to say hi to either of us. It seemed like hours before we finally made it to the table, hours of me trying to mask the pain in my belly, hours until I saw that familiar side profile. I stopped as Kelly released her grip on my arm, she sitting down and eyeing me as I stood there. Suddenly, I felt funny. Suddenly, I felt -

"Lily?"

My eyes went to JC's, not holding the gaze as I looked down, a small puddle of water in between my feet. Oh, shit.

"Jace, her water just broke!"

Before I could even look up, I heard chairs screeching as JC literally lunged out of his chair and at me, hands gripping my arms, unable to tear my eyes away from the puddle below me.

Oh, shit.

"Lily, we have to get you to the hospital -"

"No, not yet," I breathed, a contraction suddenly ripping through my body, it more painful than the others. "Okay, okay ... maybe we do."

He gripped my hand, tugging me away from everyone's stares as his groupmates followed close behind with their significant others. "How long have you been having contractions?"

"All day, I guess -"

"All day?!"

"Jace, I didn't want to ruin your day -"

"How the hell could you be ruining my day? You're going to have my baby!"

"I guess, but I -"

He pushed open the door as Kelly appeared at my side, reaching down and grabbing my hand, a contraction making itself known once more as I gripped both hands, trying to ignore the calls from the photographers that were still snapping away, asking what was going on and if I was having the baby.

"Max, I need you to take us to the hospital and quick!" JC opened the door, Kelly getting in and reaching forward, helping me in, JC following soon after.

"Jace, we'll follow in the other car," Joey called as they pointed backward, he nodding and slamming the door shut. "Go, Max, go!"

I felt the limo lurch forward as Max gunned it, breathing deeply as another contraction came quite quickly after the last. "Oh, my God!"

"Breathe, Lily," Kelly said softly, she rubbing my back soothingly. "Just, breathe ..."

"Baby ..." I groaned, feeling sweat already begin to form at the hairline, JC smoothing my hair down and kissing me sweetly, talking softly into my ear as I fought back tears. "I'm sorry -"

"What for," he asked softly, mouth still pressed to my slightly sweaty skin, "sorry for having my baby?"

"Going into labor on your day ..."

"Lily, you're having my baby. There's nothing more better than that."

I'm having a baby ...



"Patient is seven centimeters dialated and 90% effaced," the nurse spoke as Dr. Benson breezed into the room, taking the clipboard that was handed to her. "Hey, Lily; how are you feeling?"

"Like I have a baby coming out of my uterus," I mumbled as she smiled, patting my foot. "Too late for an epidural?"

"Being that you ignored your contractions all day and breezed past the first seven, I'd say so," she laughed again as I mumbled under my breath, turning my head to JC's his forehead now against mine. His hand was at the top of my head, stroking my hair gently and speaking soothingly to me. If I hadn't of been in so much pain, it would have felt nice. Right now, it was downright annoying. "I see you've got quite a dressed up welcoming party in the waiting room -"

"We were at a album release party," JC said, lifting his head to speak. "Baby's got good timing," he laughed. "How much longer do you think it will be before she's born?"

"Not too much longer," Dr. Benson stated as she looked at the clipboard. "Good thing they paged me though. A few more hours and I would have missed delivering this baby!"

I mumbled, clencing my eyes shut and squeezing JC's hand, hissing as the contraction came through once more. "We haven't even decided on a name for the baby yet ... we were going to talk about it tomorrow ..."

"Well, we'll do it now," he assured as I exhaled, the contraction coming to a slow point. "We've already decided that it be a 'K' name, right? Since I'm 'J' and you're 'L' ... it's right between us -"

"And the only thing to ever," I chuckled as he grinned, nodding. "All right ... so 'K'."

"Kaci?"

"No."

He laughed. "Um ...Kaylyn?"

"No."

"Kathryn?"

"No."

"Kayla?"

"Eh ... no."

He laughed. "We will be here forever, you know that, right?"

"I do. If this baby doesn't come out!" I lifted up my shirt, yelling down the hospital gown to my stomach, grunting when I felt her kick me hard in the ribs. "Good God ..."

He laughed. "What about Kira? Kaley?"

I stopped glaring at my belly, looking up at him. "We may have a winner."

"Which one?"

"That, I don't know."

He laughed. "Well, we're gonna have to get that name -" he stopped as I clenched my eyes, squeezing his hand once more, "and soon."



"All right, one more final push, Lily and your baby will be out. Come on, you can do it - push! Push, push, push!"

"I am!" I glared at Dr. Benson as best as I could with my chin to my chest, JC's soft voice coaxing me by my ear, his head leaning against mine as he supported my neck and back, helping me hold myself up. "I am pushing!"

"Bear down, come on, thatta girl!"

I cried out as I pushed harder, hearing JC's soft voice counting off to ten. "Get her out of me already!"

"You're doing amazing, baby," JC smiled against my head, he craning his neck and watching as the baby crowned, soothing me once more as I moaned, they stopping me from pushing as they suctioned the baby. "Oh my God," he said, voice filled with amazement, "there she is ... oh my God, Lily ..." He was shaking by then, face pressed to the side of mine as they coached me to push again. "Just one more, baby; one more ..."

I felt a wave of relief wash over me as I finished my push, nearly collapsing against JC's hand that held my head as the baby was placed on my stomach, eyes widening. My baby. The emotional part of me began, sobbing as I touched her pink skin, her small nose, her dark, dark hair ... I stopped, lifting her leg and not giving her any sense of modesty to make sure - yep, a girl. "Baby," I sobbed, the doctor and nurses wiping her off as I kept touching her, unable to get enough of the one thing that I automatically loved and didn't even have to see. "My baby ..."

"You did it, Lils," he said softly, kissing my head numerous times, "you did it."

I nodded, turning my head as they handed him the scissors to cut the umbilical cord, waiting to see his eyes roll into the back of his head. Ironically, they didn't and he began crying as soon as our baby's cries became louder, they taking her away to weigh her and clean her off more. "We did it, baby."

"I didn't do anything," he said softly, hand caressing the side of my face, "you did it, Lily. You did it. God, I am so proud of you ..."

"I'm proud of you for not passing out," I grinned, he giving me a menacing smile as he leaned down, kissing me repeatedly. "I love you."

"I love you." His head lifted as the nurse began her walk back with our baby, she wrapped in a soft pink blanket and a white cap over her small head. "Here comes our little girl ..."

"Congratulations, mommy and daddy," she smiled, placing the baby back into my arms as I looked down, fighting back tears as she looked up at me.

"So you're the one that's been kicking me," I whispered, she blinking once, twice slowly, eyes focusing on my face. I knew she recognized my voice, saw the familiar twinkle that her father had when he saw me time and time again. "God, Jace, she looks like you -"

"Are you kidding, she's beautiful. She's all you, baby." He kissed my forehead, reaching forward with his hand and smoothing it against her skin. "She's got our hair, though."

I laughed, reaching upward and lifting the cap up, the now slightly cleaner hair a chocolate brown like his and wavy like my own. "She's beautiful ..."

"She is."

"And she's in need of a name." I looked up as the nurse set her stats down on the table next to us, she letting us be alone with the baby as the doctor's finished cleaning up. "God, it just makes it so much more real ... it took so long to realize I was pregnant ... and now, holding her, it was automatic. I'm a mom. And you're a dad."

"Daddy," he corrected. "She will never call me 'dad'. I will forever be her daddy."

I laughed, shaking my head and looking back down at the paper.

Baby girl Chasez
6 lbs. 8 oz.
19"
April 28th, 2008
11:23PM

"I'm sorry you missed the rest of your party," I said softly, he looking up at me incredulously, "what?"

"Are you kidding me? This tops everything that could ever chart in my life. She will be the one thing I am most proud of, most in love with ... well, besides you ..."

I laughed. "Okay, seriously. Baby girl Chasez needs a name."

"Right. Kira or Kaley."

"Kira Chasez or Kaley Chasez?" I looked down at her, biting my lip. "I don't know."

"Neither do I," he laughed, resting his head at the crook of my neck, we both looking in awe at the little miracle we had both made. "They're both fine to me."

Sighing deeply, feeling a smile widen on my face as I heard the commotion coming from down the hall, I caressed our new daughter's forehead, blinking away tears. It was hard to believe that just last year at this time, I was fighting my own demons about falling in love with the man that give me this beautiful baby girl, and now, I was with him, holding the one thing that proved to me more than words that he meant what he had always said and felt.

Now, if only I could get a feeling out of that for her name.

Chapter End Notes:
A little help with baby's name!  Kira or Kaley?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers jc tabloids paparazzi