"Sometimes, being on the road is rough ..."

I chuckled, looking down at the handheld in my lap as it indicated my sister calling, the ringer a line from a song that was normally not-so cheesy, but made into a conversation mix that she and I always got a kick out of when we were younger. I pulled it to my ear, greeting her as I looked down at the schedule for the day, JC sleeping across the room on the couch. I didn't worry about talking too loud, he slept through basically anything that could equal up to a world war. "Hey, Charlotte."

"What's up, Lil?"

"I don't know," I smiled, setting down my pen and cradling the phone to my ear as I folded up the papers and set them aside. "You tell me; you're the one that called."

"Ah, that I did," she laughed, sounding so much like our mother on the phone. "I just called to tell you that my band is actually playing in the same area as your beloved tomorrow night ... I thought that maybe you'd want to come check out our show afterward? We'll be playing until at least two in the morning."

"My be-" I stopped, shaking my head. "Whatever. Sure, you playing close to the arena?"

"Club down the street actually. Hyde, I think it's called? I don't know, Jeremy and Reese had it all planned." I heard tuning in the background, knowing she had called during a break in their rehearsal. "So you'll come?"

"Of course I'll come," I smiled, reaching to the side and grabbing the itinerary, making a note of her show the next night. "We're actually almost in Los Angeles again. Promotion dies off and he's got a press tour next. But I've got a few weeks between the tours to spend some time with my only sister who ever visits me."

She laughed, calling back towards the band something I couldn't hear, glancing over and seeing JC stirring from his spot on the couch. "Well, that's because you're my favorite sister. The only sister that doesn't make me feel like a cheap whore or a dumbass. Tell JC to come, it'd be fun."

"I don't know if he'd want to go -"

"He's your friend, too, Lil. I'm sure he'd like to tag along. Besides, I want to meet this guy before you and him marry."

"God, Charlotte, sometimes, I don't know what I'm going to do with you." I rolled my eyes, leaning my head against the back of the chair as I closed my eyes. Okay, so I did have a small crush on the man who was only a few feet away from me. But who doesn't develop some sort of feelings for someone they're with almost 24/7? It's either liking them, or liking the idea of killing them. Luckily, I was on the more positive side, though it drove me crazy every time he flashed his smile my way when I knew he only saw me as someone he could tell anything to.

Not that that was a horrible thing.

"Bring him. Ask him to come - no, demand him to come. It'd be good for you to get out without having all these people tagging along because of him and -"

"He'll be tagging along if he does -"

"Well, it'll be different."

"He'll need a bodyguard, Charlotte."

"I think he's a big boy, he can manage a few rowdy drunks at a club that will house punk rockers. Not pop rockers."

I grinned at this, knowing it was all too true. JC was the complete opposite of my sister musically-wise. Though he listened to everything, he didn't perform the in-your-face punk music my sister leaned towards. He was a rocker at heart, and she was completely punk. "I'll talk to him and see," I said, trailing off and watching him stretch, watching the shirt slowly rise away from the top of his jeans and slowly towards his bellybutton. "I'm not making promises," I said quickly, turning my head away as I stared out the window, trying to keep my thoughts clean. "He may be tired and want to go to sleep -"

"Yeah, yeah," Charlotte responded. "I've gotta go though. I can't wait to see you tomorrow. Love you, bye!"

I opened my mouth to say my good-bye, left with nothing but dead air on the other end. Oh well.

"Was that one of the infamous Hennessy sisters?"

"You say it as if we're the Charmed ones or something," I laughed, looking at him as he groggily wiped at his eyes, running a hand through his bed-ridden hair and yawning dramatically.

"Well, the sisters I did meet were quite infamous -"

"Well, that's because they charm the pants off of men. Literally," I laughed, he grinning with me as he leaned back onto the couch, this time facing me. "Gotta love them."

"And to think, you're nothing like them."

"I'm nothing like any of my sisters," I said, he nodding in agreement. "They're all beautiful, smart and get anything they want. I'm just me."

"Ah, come on, Lils," he said, lifting his head up to look at the television above my head, "you know you're cute."

And there it was. Cute. "Something I have settled for in all the years I've been a Hennessy," I mumbled, he looking at me in confusion. Though he confided in me, I tended to stray away from my personal demons or beliefs. He was kind, and sometimes skirted away from the truth, lightening the load with a lie to make the situation better. Though any woman would love that, I wasn't one to believe him. Or any other man for that matter.

"I'm not gonna argue," he said, voice quiet as he looked down away from the television and back at me, "we've had this discussion before. You know how I feel about it."

"I know."

In fact, I knew a little too well. I had stated something similar when the Sex Kittens themselves had come to visit while we were near my hometown, he telling me that I was different from them and always would be. It wasn't a bad different, it was actually refreshing. Though he had not met Isabelle, he knew about her and had already made an opinion on her: she was smart and sort of snobbish (he was right), while Delaney and Lucy were high strung and very floaty (again, right), while Charlotte was the lone one he had never met, though seemed to like over the other three - though he didn't have a dislike for any of them. He stated that I was very much a person that anyone could be comfortable with and never liked to cause problems, which he liked, because he was never into arguing with anybody. He also stated that this is why I stayed so long: I was much like him in that way and he knew he wouldn't have to worry about losing his cool around me.

That, and I reminded him of a sister.

Score another point for the opposing team.

"So was it the teacher, the model, the saleswoman or the punk princess?"

I laughed, looking at him and shaking my head at the labels he had given my sisters. Though he was good with memorizing songs, he was never good at remembering the 'infamous' names of my sisters. "Well, teacher Isabelle, I haven't talked to in a few weeks. Model Delaney is probably overseas or something whoring her body for good print work. Lucy is still working forty jobs to keep her obsession with expensive purses and extravagant clothes fueled. So, it was Charlotte."

"The punk princess."

"Yes," I laughed. "She's got a gig at Hyde tomorrow. Wanted me to go see her after."

"Sounds like a good idea," he nodded. "Can I go?"

I smirked. "She asked for me to invite you. She wanted to meet you."

"And I want to meet her."

"Well, then I guess we're going to see my sister tomorrow," I laughed, standing up and stretching. "Tomorrow you've got a radio interview at 6 in the AM so you may want to not nap the rest of the day like I know you were planning on doing. Then you've got rehearsal and soundcheck at 4. Show at 7:30."

"Not too busy of a day," he stated, yawning once more as he leaned backward, letting his eyes fall closed again. He really wasn't lying when he said he liked sleep. "Wanna go shopping with me tomorrow?"

"What for?"

"Well, just to hang out," he said, shrugging as he crossed his arms over his chest. Yeah, he was definitely getting ready to go back to sleep. "And I wanna get some clothes. Want to dress more appropriate for Hyde tomorrow."

I shook my head, keeping the remark I had at bay. The man had more clothes in his suitcases than I probably owned completely; why did he need more? "That's fine. You've got an open area from 9-12 and then lunch and then 1:30-4 before you have to be in the arena."

"Let's go before lunch. I'll save my nap for after."

"Okay." I nodded, watching him run his hands up and down his arms, noting that the driver must have messed with the air conditioning again, the goosebumps evident on the tops of my arms. "I suppose I have to wake you when we reach the hotel?"

"It'd be wonderful if you did," he said softly, already close to dreamland. "Take the rest of the day off, Lily. You work too much."

"That's my job."

"Well, you work for me and I say you work too much," he mumbled, eyes fluttering open as I reached above him, grabbing my blanket and covering him with it as he accepted it gratefully. "Thanks," he smiled, it tired but sweet all the same. "You're too good to me."

"Yeah, yeah."

"I mean it," he said softly, causing me to turn around and look at him as he still looked at me. "You're gonna make some man happy someday. You're too good to not be snatched up."

I gave him a slight nod, not really having a response for his comment. He meant well, but it was something I heard almost daily by my parents or a sister. Lily, you're an amazing girl, you'll get someone who realizes that soon! You're too sweet to be single - you'll get somebody, promise! Oh, Lilybeans, I know you'll marry; stop putting yourself down so much. Lily, everyone gets what they deserve at their own time. You're time will be soon, I just know it.

Just like a broken record, the thoughts were mourned slightly and discarded just as quickly. I didn't need those words riddling my brain - ever, really. I had more important things, things like my job, my life, JC's job and his life I had to worry about. There wasn't time to worry about things like that. Things like that weren't in the cards for me.

I just had to keep telling myself that.




"What about this?"

I turned my back from looking at a top on display, JC holding up a white t-shirt with red, black and gray decorative-type things splayed on it, it loud and totally him. "I like it," I said, nodding as I turned around and touched the fabric of the shirt once more. Too bad it was worth more than my life.

"Oh come on, Lils," he whined. I could almost hear him stomping his feet in annoyance at my ignorance towards him. "Shopping is supposed to be fun."

"It isn't when you can't afford half this stuff," I laughed, turning to look at him as he jutted his lip out, still holding the shirt up. "I like it, Jace. Get it. You've got pants you can wear with them and then you won't have to worry about getting anything else -"

"You like that top, don't you?"

I looked backward, shrugging as my eyes took in the pattern of the soft floral design of the v-neck tank top. "I do, but I can't afford it."

"Is it your size?"

"Well, yeah," I said, knitting my eyebrows as he eyed me and then leaned forward, taking it from the rack. "But I can't -"

"Consider it your bonus," he grinned, winking at me as he disappeared out of sight and towards the jeans. Did I ever mention he is impossible?

"Lily, come on!"

I rolled my eyes, walking towards his voice. He stood in the middle of the men's jeans, a black pair with a chain belt in one hand and a pair of dark charcoal ones in the other. "Which one?"

"Neither," I said, shaking my head. "Jace, just wear jeans -"

"Fine," he said, setting them back on the rack and walking towards the regular jeans. "Let me stand out like a sore thumb -"

"JC, if you don't have tattoos all up and down your arms and holes in your ears the size of golf balls, you're gonna stand out," I laughed, he shrugging in response. "Look, those jeans are good." I pointed towards the jeans he usually wore, he nodding in agreement and picking up three pair. I could only imagine the bill. "You done yet?"

"Nope," he grinned, reaching towards me and grabbing my hand, leading me back towards the women's area. "What size pants are you?"

"I don't need pants."

"Lily," he laughed, lookign slightly irritated at the same time. "You need jeans. You've worn the same two worn out pairs for the last few weeks. I think it's time -"

"To stop trying to buy me clothes."

"Oh, don't make me check myself."

"I don't need jeans," I mumbled, watching as he shrugging, brushing past me. I cried out, feeling his hand at the back of my pants and flipping over the back to try and read the tag. "Chasez!"

"Yes, Hennessy?" He remained the same sweet JC as he literally had his hand down the back of my pants, a triumphant sound coming out of his mouth as I spun around and hit him in the chest. "Ow, Jesus!"

"Keep your hand out of my pants!"

We both froze, seeing the patrons and employees alike stop to look at the two of us, we both reddening slightly and laughing. "Ah, that came out wrong."

"Well, not really," he grinned. "I'm still buying you jeans. I know know your shirt and pants size." He ignored my complaints, walking down the aisle and randomly picking things up as a woman approached him, he handing her the pile with the same grin. "Can you begin to ring things up? We'll be up in a few moments."

"Of course, Mr. Chasez," she said, backing away and smiling courteously at him. The woman was getting a good commission check on this one.

"You need shoes. And earrings. Oh, and how about a cute little purse?"

"JC, you have way too much estrogen in your system?"

"I get it from you, lady."

"Hey, hey," I laughed, hating the fact that he was doing what he was doing, but knowing that it was a losing battle. He grabbed a few more shirts for himself, we approaching the accessories as he turned to look at me, reaching for my face and tucking my hair behind my ear with a grin on his face. "What?"

"You've got cute ears," he said, a look of seriousness on his face. Ears? I had cute ears?! "Chandelier earrings. Definitely." He pointed out a few sets of earrings, the woman taking them to the front, also. "God, I feel like I'm buying for a girlfriend."

"I don't know why you're buying things for me -"

"Because you've been with me three years and I've never once seen someone treat you to a good day," he said, reaching around my neck and wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "You've been great to me, Lil. I think it's time you got some sort of reward for it."

"Well, a car would be nice," I joked, he turning to look at me. "I'm kidding."

"I wouldn't kid about that," he smiled. "I'm in a good mood, it may have happened."

"I don't need one. I still have my car."

"That old piece of crap car that was made for the Adam Sandler song?"

"Don't knock Gertrude. She gets me places. That's all I care about."

"Your safety should be cared about, too," he grinned, we both seeing paparazzi standing outside the doors, cameras to the windows. "God, you can't even shop in peace," he mumbled under his breath, looking at me in slight annoyance. He had been tired, and usually the little things grew to annoy him when they usually didn't. He smiled once more as the woman greeted him, she ringing up the things as he handed her his card without as much of a second glance, signing the receipt and handing me a bag as he carried the other two. "Did you talk to Rob this morning?"

"A little," I said, he opening up the door as I went out first, being blinded by the cameras as they fought to get a good shot of JC, he pulling his sunglasses down to his eyes once more as I followed shortly after, "he wanted to talk to me, but said it could wait until tomorrow. Said there was a lot of other things that he didn't want to speak about on the phone and would talk to me when he got back to L.A."

"Yeah, he said the same thing to me," JC said softly. "Hi," he said, greeting the paparazzi as they spoke to him. "How you all doing?"

"You excited about the show tonight?"

"Of course I am," he said, faking a smile as I stepped aside, not wanting in the photos. "I love performing for the fans."

"You dating anybody, JC?"

"I am," he said, raising his eyebrows. "Why?"

"Who's the girl?"

I felt my stomach lurch, hating being brought into things of the sort. JC looked over at me, a smile on his face. "This is Lily, my assistant."

"Not your girlfriend?"

"No, she's too good of a person to be my girlfriend," he joked, nudging me with his arm as I looked ahead, not wanting my face photographed. "She's just a good friend. Nothing more."

Ah, but of course. There is was again.

"So no dating?"

"Not currently," he said, opening up the passenger door for me as they followed him to the driver's side. "I've got more important relations in my life than to have a girlfriend right now," he smiled, saying his good-bye as they thanked him, he shutting the door and looking over at me. "God, I hate them," he said lowly, still smiling as I laughed at his fakeness, he starting the car and driving us back towards the hotel so he could eat lunch and then nap. "It's not like I'm going to date anyone anytime soon," he said, looking back at me. "I don't want to date. I'm not a good dater. If I find someone worthy of dating, then I will. But I haven't. So it's not worth it."

Score yet another point for the other team.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers jc tabloids paparazzi