Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews!  I hope you enjoy!  It's getting juicy!  :]

It was almost as if we couldn't catch a break. From the moment the radio interview ended and we stepped outside to get back into the Hummer to take us to the airport to pick up his family, Rob's cell phone had been ringing non-stop and there were cameras everywhere. They all took it in stride, but though I had been around the cameras for so long, I was definitely not used to them being thrust in my face and various other parts of my body, hoping for slip-ups or over-exposed parts of my nether regions.

I'm not gonna pull a Britney, sorry.

Tyler, JC's brother, was the first to take note about how close they had actually gotten. And since I had known him for a fair amount of time, he was quick to step between the paparazzi and I when JC wasn't paying attention. It was almost as if I, not JC, was the one who needed a bodyguard. The three of us probably looked like a newer version of Charlie's Angels (it is 2007, there can be male Angels), with our dark sunglasses and stern faces as we tried to keep our eyes away from the cameras, lessening the want power of every photograph. JC's hand was cupped over my left once more, hiding my ring, while his free hand was shoved into his pocket, his sister Heather's arm linked through his extended elbow. With some weary looks from his parents, we were off, heading towards the hotel to let his family settle in before we went to the beach, kicking back for the rest of the day.

"Before we go anywhere," JC said softly, looking at his entire family as we all stood in the hallway near their rooms, he swallowed roughly as he continued, "there's something I need to talk to you guys about - will you meet me in my room?"

"Of course, Josh," his mother said, giving him a smile, she looking a little bothered but not acting it. "Give us a few minutes and we'll be down."

He nodded, waiting as they all went into their respective rooms as he turned to me, sighing deeply. "Let's go relax before it all explodes."

"You're going to tell them now?"

He nodded. "I have to, Lil; it's either that or they find out from some tabloid. I'd rather not give my parents a heart attack."

"Okay," I said softly, waiting as he opened the door and stepped in, following him in. "I guess that's a good thing to decide. Though, I'm pretty sure you're gonna be annihilated."

"Not just me," he said, looking at me as I raised an eyebrow, "Lily, you've gotta tell your parents."

"Well, they're going to have to wait until we come back from overseas -"

"We're going up in six days."

"What?! We're supposed to be in New York -"

He shook his head. "I think it's best that you and I go up to your home and break the news. They aren't used to seeing their daughter in magazines and when it happens, they're not gonna know what hit them. And I'd like to meet my in-laws sooner or later," he teased as I shook my head, sinking onto our bed as he looked at me, confused. "This isn't going to blow over well at all."

"Why is that?"

"Because my mother will probably want to have your children for finally taking me away from them."

" ... Why?"

"Because, she always thought I'd be the old lady never giving her grandbabies. She's gonna pretty much demand that you and I start on the trip."

"Well, we could practice," he grinned as I looked up at him, blindly reaching for the pillow near my hip and throwing it at him, he laughing. "I was kidding, Lily. We'll just have to take it as it comes, just like we're going to have to with my own parents." He sat down next to me, holding the pillow in his lap and picking at the imaginary thread. "EIther way, we're both gonna have families pretty ticked off at us, right? One for keeping it secret and the other for not giving them grandchildren."

I smirked, leaning backward as I stared up at the ceiling. "Basically. They're gonna be even more pissed off when we tell them that it was all for show."

"Well, we won't have to tell them," he said, looking back at me. "I won't tell if you won't."

"Jace, I can't keep something like that from my parents -"

"Well, if they ever question the authenticity of our marriage, then you can say it wasn't. If they don't, then we won't ever have to back it up."

I closed my eyes, sighing deeply. "You seem to be in better spirits now ..."

"My family is here. I'm always in a better mood when they're around."

"What am I, chopped liver?" I asked, opening my eyes as I felt the bed shift, he lying down next to me as we both lie there, legs dangling off of the side of the bed and staring at the ceiling. "I see how your so-called wife fares."

"Oh, you know where you stand in my life, Lily Anne. You know everything about me, you've obviously gotta be at the top of my list."

"I don't know everything I want to know."

He looked over at me, we both silent as his eyes went back and forth from my eyes and further down my face. Without warning, I felt him lean in, pressing his lips against mine, it a short and tender moment as he pulled away, locking eyes with me once more. "I told you we'd talk about it, okay? I'm just ... I'm still trying to sort it out in my brain, okay? I, myself am even sure what is going on in my own head."

"But you'll tell me," I said, folding my lips together as I waited for a response, getting none. "Jace. You'll tell me?"

He nodded, licking his lips and jumping slightly when we both heard a knock on the door. "I will. Just not right now."

"Just as long as it's not like you're in love with someone else and want to end the marriage, we'll be okay," I joked, seeing the uneasy smile he gave me before getting up to open the door, greeting his mom and dad who had appeared first, followed closely by Heather and then Tyler. I sat up, smiling at them as they all sat down in chairs, Tyler leaning up against the register by the bay window. I looked uneasily at JC, who was slowly entering the room once more with his arms crossed, hand up instead of tucked against his chest, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"So there really isn't any easy way to say this without just coming out and saying it," he said softly, he looking from family member to family member, eyes finally settling on mine. "You know that whole, 'What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas'?" He looked around, getting no response. "Well, something happened in Vegas, but it ... it kind of follows me everywhere now."

"Oh God, you got someone pregnant!"

His eyes widened, "No, no! Definitely not! It's something ... close, though. I, uh -"

"You eloped some strange drunk girl?"

JC scoffed, looking at his brother in disbelief. "Do you not know me at all?"


"Well, it was a guess -"

"And sadly closer than the last one."

"Joshua ..."

I looked over, seeing Karen wringing her hands as Roy sat there, stone faced. He looked unphased, while Karen looked as if she were going to faint. This, this couldn't be good.

"Mom, dad," he said softly, licking his lips and reaching for me as I stood up, knees jell-o. "Lily and I kind of eloped when we were in Vegas."

"Come again?"

I turned my head, Roy finally speaking as the audible gasps coming from everyone but surfaced. He was leaning his head forward, ear thrust out, almost as if he hadn't heard correctly. Heather had her hand to her chest from her spot on the chair by the television, Karen pale. Oh, this wasn't good.

"Lily and I are married now," he said softly, voice shaky. "We had it planned for a while, and we wanted to have a normal wedding ... but with all the stuff going on, we felt as if we could elope and then throw a larger wedding later when time permits ..."

"You're married."

He looked over to Heather as he gripped my hand tightly, my eyes still watching him interact with his family. "Yes, married."

"You're the last person I thought I'd hear that from."

"Why? Because I'm your older brother?"

"No," Heather started, voice trailing off, "because you aren't the marrying type. You can't settle down. Now, you can?"

"Things change when you find the right person," he argued, "when you fall in ... love."

"You can't even keep that sentence straight!"

"Dad!" He looked over at his father, shaking his head. "It's just hard to admit something to your family that you've been keeping from them, all right? I love her, understand? I wanted to be with her, so I got with her! I wanted to marry her, so we eloped! She loves me, that's all that matters to me with this relationship. As long as we both love each other, I don't seen such a problem."

"Maybe because you just up and married someone without your family even knowing!"

"Heather, stop!" JC turned to her, pointing his finger at her. "This is coming from you. I thought you, of all people would understand!"

"Jace, that happened long ago ..."

"So what?! You almost married him, didn't you?! You got engaged after two weeks and you would have married if it hadn't of been for his lying ass!"

"This has nothing to do with me ..."

"This has everything to do with you and everyone else in this room! You all think I am this, commitment-phobe with connection issues! That I'll never marry and actually have my own family! Well, you know, I thought that to until I met her!"

I looked at him, his face reddening as he continued to argue. I took my free hand, reaching toward him and gripping the fabric of his shirt, trying to keep him calm. He stepped into me, his own hand flailing about as he tried to make his point. A fly on the wall would actually think he meant it all. A fly on the wall would also probably be taking cover with all the icy daggers he was shooting at his family in disdain.

"She's been so good to me after all these years and I saw her in a different way after I realized just how much she knew about me that I didn't even know! She seems to be the only person who doesn't judge me and accepts me for who I am and what I do! I say one thing and you guys are all over it like flies on shit. You never let me explain my decisions and I feel like I'm back in high school again! Well, guess what?! I'm going to be THIRTY ONE tomorrow. I'm a big boy. What you say has no affect on my choices. I married her because I wanted to and I didn't even think about what you'd think because I don't care. I love her. I'm going to be with her. The only reason we told you is so that you wouldn't fall over dead seeing it in the paper."

He turned around calmly, releasing my hand as he went into the bathroom, coming back out shortly after with his sunglasses and mine, he taking my hand and leading me towards the door. "We're going to the beach. If you actually want to treat me like your son, you know where I'll be."

Once we were out in the hallway, I looked at him, he exhaling a deep breath. "Jace," I said softly, he turning his head slightly to look at me as we continued walking. "You all right?"

"A little better," he said, rolling his head back and forth to ease tension, "I just need to walk it off. Let my toes hit some sand and water ... I'll be fine after."

I nodded, licking my lips as he sighed deeply. The entire ride to the beach was silent, and somehow, as soon as we stepped out onto the dunes, there were paparazzi everywhere.

"Jesus Christ," he mumbled, shoving his phone into his pocket. "Can't I catch a fucking break?"

"Calm down," I said softly, he giving me a sympathetic look as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders, leaing me to wrap my own around his waist. "It'll all blow over. They're your family, they're entitled to freaking out -"

"But to tell me what kind of person I am?!" He asked, voice raising with emotion. "They don't even see me enough to make that damn assumption. I couldn't even tell you what kind of person Heather is anymore because she makes herself invisible when I visit - it's almost as if she's trying to fade herself away from my family. Lord knows what she does when I'm not around. She's the crazy one: twenty nine and has no sense of herself. She has some job that isn't anything she was majoring in at college, and she keeps dating these deadbeats who treat her like shit. Right. Because I'm the child they should be worrying about ..."

"They'll come around," I said softly, squeezing his side as we heard a faint voice call his name, we both slowly turning around and seeing Tyler approaching us, hands shoved in his pockets. "Hey, Ty," I said softly, trying to lighten the mood as JC ignored him. "Where is everybody else?"

"Still at the hotel," he said softly. "They're just trying to make sense of things, I guess. I gave up trying to hear all sides because though I'm still a little confused as to why you did it suddenly, I'm happy for you - though a little shocked that you did it." He shrugged, JC studying him as I stood there, quiet. "You're my brother, I'm not gonna attack you just because you chose to do something you felt you had to do. Or wanted to do, for that matter. I saw your face, I know you meant it. I know you love her, it's not hard to miss. I just ... I don't want to see either of you get hurt. You, especially, Josh." He looked at me, smiling weakly, "you understand that, right?"

"Of course I do," I nodded. "He's family. I'm not -"

"Oh, you're family now," Tyler grinned, "but I had to share a room with this fucker for 13 years. I've grown to like him a bit."

I grinned. "I've shared a room with him for months and I don't know how you've done it."

"Hey!"

I grinned, JC nudging me as we all laughed, Tyler walking ahead of us towards the beach chairs little ways down, throwing his stuff onto a chair and lounging quickly, hands behind his head. "Well, that wasn't too bad."

"No," JC said, we both looking over and seeing paparazzi still snapping photos. "Now, all we have to do is convince the rest of the world."

"I don't think it'll be that hard, being that they've been all over us the past few days." I looked over as he sighed deeply, leaning into him slightly and inhaling the scent of him. Instantly, I was calm.

"Yeah, really." He sat down on the chair beside Tyler as I went to the other side, sitting down and peeling off my tanktop, chilled by the sudden loss of temperature with the slight breeze in the air. It was hot, but the air had been teasing all day. Within moments, JC's phone was alerting him of a text, he sighing deeply as I looked at him, confused. "What?"

"It's Rob. Says that I may have to do more interviews tomorrow than planned."

"Besides the one?"

"Yeah. Some birthday," he mumbled as I leaned into him sympathetically, putting my head on his shoulder as I listened to him mumble under his breath, finally shoving the phone back into his pocket. He got up, unbuttoning his shirt and tossing it onto the chair, pushing his shorts off and walking towards the steps that lead closer to the ocean. "Come play," he said softly as I looked up at him, a smile playing on his face. "What?" He asked, Tyler laughing as I arched my eyebrows. "Come play with me."

"I think that's a demand," Tyler laughed, as I looked over, shaking my head. I felt JC tug at my hand as I got up slowly, still slightly bent over as I tried to keep myself seated, his eyes washing over me, smile to tugging on the corners of his lips. "He isn't going to give up unless you go."

"Definitely not."

I sighed. "Fine, I'll come play."

"Good," he grinned, tugging me harder as I stood, he leading me down the stairs and slowing so I'd walk in step with him. He pulled me closer, giving me a look. As I gave him a questioning one back, he just grinned, still pulling me into the water, screeching slightly as it hit my toes and ankles, cold. "Oh, don't be a baby," he grinned, pulling faster so that I was in the water mid-calf high quicker than planned. "See, it isn't so bad."

I shook my head, giving him a smile. "Whatever."

He leaned down, cupping water into his hand and splashing me as I screeched even louder, he laughing hysterically as I backed away, bending sideways and attempting to splash him. Again, with the look. I ignored it this time, he taunting me as he began splashing more furiously as I protested, shielding my face. He finally stopped, watching as I spit out saltwater from my mouth, rubbing my eyes to clear them. He was looking at me yet again like he had before.

"What, JC?" I asked, hands on my hips as he continued to look at me, eyes dropping and slowly coming back up. "JC!"

"You don't give yourself enough credit."

"... What?"

"You're sexy as hell, Lily. I'm wondering why I didn't marry you earlier."

I rolled my eyes, he still giving me a smile that pretty much said how sexy he was, it looking almost devious and bashful at the same time. "Probably because I am not sexy?"

"Oh, you are," he said, taking a step towards me while I in turn took a step back, "A sexy mama, really."

"You're so gay."

He looked at me, a mock hurt look on his face, it quickly being replaced by the 'I'm going to get you' look as I backed further away slowly. He had bent slightly, and I knew he had something in mind. "JC," I said, he still grinning, "seriously. Don't play around -"

"You better run, little girl," he warned, voice still light. "Better run before revenge comes and tackles your ass."

I didn't need any more warning. Taking off like a bat out of hell, I heard him close behind as the water slowed us both slightly, laughing hysterically as he told me to give up, the game was over and I'd get it. Instead of surrendering, I kept going, his laughter echoing in my ears like some sort of memory that I wanted to lock away forever so I'd never forget it. Lock it away with all his smiles and hugs, and of course, his kisses. "Don't, JC! Don't, I give up!"

"Then stop running!"

"No!"

"It's only a matter of time before I get you!"

"You would have gotten me already if you didn't run like a girl! My own nephew would have caught me already!"

"You just called me a girl!"

"Yeah, basically," I laughed, turning to see him jogging behind me, suddenly picking up the speed so that he was in an all-out running stride, screaming as I turned my head, laughing hysterically and heading towards the sand, feeling his arms wrap around my waist and pull me backward, screaming as he lifted me up out of the water completely. With one quick move, I was back in the water on my ass, he grinning triumphantly as I scowled, unable to keep that face for long as I saw his eyes hidden behind the sunglasses, they sparkling. "I hate you."

"Oh, you love me," he grinned, kicking water at me gently as I grunted. Against his 'that's attractive' remark, I grunted again, he laughing and extending a hand to help me up, me using all my weight to pull him nearly face first into the water. He came up, spitting it out and giving a war cry as I got up, running yet again.

That day, I had realized that there was more to my relationship with JC Chasez. It would also go down as one of the most amazing days in my life ... regardless of his issues with his sister and parents at that time. He had instantly made me forget who I was and let loose, feeling as if I could have been loved by him or any other man. That life wasn't all about worrying about the small things, and taking that time you had with people that mattered most and making it what you wanted was the best part.

I turned as I ran, now barely ankle-deep. "Come on, you pansy! Catch me!"

Of course, I had to say that, because at that moment, I fell on my ass yet again, facing him as he stumbled to stop, only inches away from me. Of course, like the cover of some erotic book, he landed just so on me, knocking my forehead with a sickening thunk. "Ouch," he hissed as I cried out slightly, we both nursing our heads as Tyler's echoes of laughter were heard. "God, revenge is mine when I finally remember what just happened to me," he mumbled, opening his eyes painfully and looking at me. "You all right?"

I nodded, laughing slightly. His eyes had softened then, and before I knew it, I was barely holding myself up on my elbows as he kissed me. He kissed me so hard that I tasted the saltwater from his own mouth, tasted the mouthwash he had used, the coffee he had drank. I got goosebumps then, holding back the urge to shudder at the chill that had gone down my back and caused a ruckus within my body, his body pressure against mine just so. When he pulled away breathless, I saw his grin, saw that his eyes were slowly dragging down my face and to my mouth again. "One more for the road," he said softly, this kiss much lighter, his tongue entering my mouth and massaged against mine. I didn't care that I was being splashing in my face by small waves. I actually didn't care that my bikini bottoms were filling up with sand.

And I didn't care that I realized how much I was falling love with this man.

He pulled away abruptly as a wave crashed against both of our faces, he sneezing as some went up his nose. We both laughed, he getting up and helping me shortly after. "Now, revenge," he grinned, winking at me as I stood there, watching he take off after Tyler, who was now scrambling off of his seat before his fast approaching brother could do anything.

I grinned, hearing the desperate cries of help from Tyler as JC went after him, only guessing what people would be thinking, seeing a man chasing another man who was laughing hysterically as a woman just stood in the water, watching with a smile like the Cheshire cats. But hell, they'd have the cheesy-ass grin if they kissed who I had just kissed!

This whole thing was definitely looking up. Maybe I wouldn't have to worry. All I knew, is that this day had been one of the best days in my life and I wasn't afraid to repeat it over and over again.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers jc tabloids paparazzi