Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's some more ramblings while I listen to Dane Cook's tourgasm and try and upload all of these chapters again!! hahaha!
Chapter 4: Cell phones


(Lunch at Rosie’s Café)

“So, what’s good here?” Hayden asked while briefly looking over the menu.

“Pretty much everything!” Justin said with a smile before putting his menu back down on the table. The car ride over to the café was quick and consisted of non-stop laughter. Justin was enjoying being around Hayden; despite the two just meeting she was quick to let him in and treat him like a friend, rather than a superstar.

“Are you both ready to order or would you like a couple minutes to decide?” The waitress asked.

“I think we’re ready, I’ll have the grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad and ranch dressing, please.” Hayden said.

The waitress quickly scribbled down the order before turning to Justin. “I’m going to have the cheeseburger with french fries. Thank you.” Justin said before the waitress disappeared in the back to get their order started.

Justin and Hayden both looked at each other with blank expressions; neither knew what to say at that moment. The car ride had been so care free and now lunch was starting to feel a bit awkward. Finally, Hayden broke the tension by laughing so hard, that Justin couldn’t help but smile with her.

“I’m sorry; I just had to break the tension somehow.”

“Don’t worry about it…so, let’s talk about the whole reason you’re here, your senior project. All you’ve told me is that it’s on the music business, that’s a little vague and if you’re going to be hanging around; I’d like to know what I’m getting myself into.” Justin said before displaying a huge grin. His smile and playfulness helped put Hayden at ease; she never wanted him to feel like he was being forced into helping her.

“Well, my project is basically anything I want it to be. I chose to do it on the music industry because it’s a business that fascinates me. Its workings are complicated and yet simple, it all boils down to who you know. After talking to Johnny more about it, I want to chronicle the steps that go into signing an artist, recording the album, promoting it, and finally reaping the benefits of all the hard work. Preferably, I want to focus on either one genre of music or specifically one artist, in order to have a more detailed and focused project.”

“Wow, you’ve really thought this through.” Justin said before taking a sip of his water.

“Yeah, I have to submit a proposal to my professor next week, so I need to have a clear vision for the project or he won’t approve it.” Hayden said.

“Well, I think you’ve definitely got it figured it.” Justin said smiling at Hayden. “Earlier today, Johnny asked if I would be willing to help you out with the artist’s viewpoint and let you hang around with me, basically let you see what I go through on a daily basis. Since I’m in the process of recording my new album; it would be a good opportunity for you to see what goes into that stage and all the promotions that I will be doing to get the album’s name out there.”

“I don’t want you to feel like you have to. You must be crazy busy with all of that, I don’t want to be a hassle…”

“I already told Johnny that it’s no problem for you to hang around and watch the process. Besides, it will be fun having a new person to hang out with.” Justin said as the waitress brought their food back.

“I really appreciate everything you and Johnny are doing for me. This has to be the coolest thing to ever happen to me. Living in Minnesota, you don’t get many chances like this.” Hayden said as she took a bite of her sandwich.

“Will you do me one favor though?!” Justin asked.

“Yeah absolutely.”

“You better produce one hell of a project; I mean you’re going to be representing me!” Justin laughed and the rest of their lunch continued with small talk regarding Justin’s schedule and what Hayden should expect for the next couple of months.

“Well we should probably head back to the studio. Mike’s probably wondering where I’m at.” Justin said after paying for the bill.

“Yeah, sounds like a good idea.” Hayden said following Justin back to his car.

The car ride back to the studio was pretty quiet; the only sound that could be heard was the soft melody from the radio. Neither Justin nor Hayden said much, it was like there was a calm aura surrounding them. Hayden was busy reflecting on how much her life has changed in the matter of a couple days. She was being given the opportunity to shadow Justin Timberlake, one of the most successful artist’s out there. Plus, she would be able to talk with Johnny Wright and get his input when it came to all of the management decisions surrounding Justin’s career. Her senior project was quickly falling into place, thanks to Johnny and Justin. Hayden briefly grabbed her necklace with the ring on it and gave it a slight tug, silently thanking Josh for everything he was sending her way.

Justin noticed Hayden reach for her necklace and hold it protectively in her hand. He was quick to notice how her expression took on a distraught and sad look. He was well aware that the necklace was something very important to Hayden.

Once they arrived back at the recording studio, Justin was quick to jump back into the swing of things, running back and forth between the control board and the recording booth. Hayden sat comfortably on the couch with her legs crossed, taking notes about how the process worked. Justin would talk to Mike about adding certain riffs and beats, and then he would proceed to record it, come back out and listen to it back. Justin must’ve gone back and forth a hundred times, tweaking the littlest things. Justin was passionate about his work and he was a perfectionist, just like herself.

“What are ya writing?” Justin asked before sitting down next to Hayden on the couch.

“I’m taking notes on how you go about recording a song. I’m surprised you guys haven’t had to replace the carpet, considering you’re running back and forth every two seconds.” Hayden joked.

“You know, you spend one day with me and now you think you can give me shit.” Justin said looking her straight in the eyes.

“I…uhh…I’m sorry, I was…” Hayden stuttered.

It was now Justin’s turn to burst out laughing at how flustered Hayden became. “Chill out, I’m just giving you a hard time.”

“Not funny Justin.” Hayden pouted before turning it into a smile and laughing along with him. “So what’s next?” Hayden said while closing her notebook and packing everything back into her bag.

“Well Mike’s got to head out early today, so I’m done for the day.” Justin said.

“Oh all right, I should be getting home too. I should start going through all of my notes, so that I can start writing up the proposal for my professor.” Hayden said while getting up from the couch and collecting her things.

“Sounds good. Just so you know we’re not going to be recording tomorrow, it’s my day off. So, do you want to hang out? I could show you around California and we could maybe go over some other stuff for the project?” Justin asked while grabbing his hoodie once again and walking towards the door.

“Definitely, that’d be cool.” Hayden said while reaching for her cell phone. “What’s your number?”

“Wow Hayden, I would’ve never guessed you to be so forward.” Justin joked as he reached for a pen and paper to scribble his number down.

“Ha ha!” Hayden said dryly. She quickly entered his number into her phone and hit send.

“What are you doing?” Justin asked as his phone started ringing.

“Now you have my number. Give me a call sometime tomorrow and we’ll meet up.” Hayden said as she was walking to her car.

“Sounds good. It was nice hanging out with you today. By the way, you owe me lunch!” Justin laughed as he got into his car and drove off.

Hayden got into her car and started the drive back to Tyler’s house. She was in awe of how the day had turned out. Not only did Johnny allow her full access to his office, but she was going to be hanging out with Justin Timberlake and learning about the music business through him. This project was seriously shaping out to be the best experience of her life. Hayden’s thoughts were quickly interrupted when her phone started ringing.

“Hey Ty!” Hayden said into the phone. “I’m on my way home right now, what do you want to do tonight?”

“Sorry Hayden, I’ve got to work a double, I won’t be home till late.” Tyler sighed into the phone.

“Oh that’s all right, duty calls.”

“Yeah, but how did everything go today?” Tyler asked.

“It was wonderful Tyler! Johnny is awesome! He wants me to come in whenever I need anything or just want to talk. I’m actually going to be working with one of his artists through the recording and promotion of his new album.” Hayden said happily.

“Oh yeah, who?” Tyler asked.

“Justin Timberlake.”

“Really?! That’s pretty cool! You’ll definitely get first hand experience with how the business works by hanging around him.” Tyler said.

“Yeah, he’s a pretty cool guy. We’re getting together tomorrow to just hang out and get to know each other better. I should probably get a sense of who he is as a person, in order to better understand how he does all of his music.” Hayden said while getting off of the freeway.

“Yeah, if you’re going to be spending time together, you’ll want to be comfortable with each other. Well, I’m glad you had a good day! I’m sorry to bail on you tonight, but just make yourself comfortable. I have a bunch of movies in the living room that you can watch.” Tyler said.

“Don’t worry Ty, I’ll find something to do.” Hayden said while turning into Tyler’s driveway.

“Ok, if you need anything my cell phone is always with me. Have a good night Hayden. I’ll see ya later.”

“You too, Bye Tyler.” Hayden said before closing her cell phone and walking into the house.

Hayden was actually looking forward to having the house to herself. She would be able to really get a jump on her proposal and hopefully finish it that night. After changing into a t-shirt and lounge pants, she plopped down on the couch with her laptop on her lap and her notes sprawled out around her. After deciding on where to start her proposal Hayden began to furiously type everything out.

Introduction

The music industry has always interested me and coming from a small town this business has been difficult to learn about. Unless you live in Los Angeles or New York, this business is guarded and secretive about its true nature. The music business is mysterious because they do not release information about how to make it in the business, but rather they expect a potential client to figure it out on their own. The goal of my research project is to uncover just how this industry works both from a management and artists standpoint.

I wanted to do my senior project on the music…


Before Hayden could get any further into the proposal she was interrupted by her phone ringing again.

“Hello?” Hayden said while balancing her phone between her ear and shoulder in order to continue typing her proposal.

“Long time no talk…”

“Who is this?” Hayden asked.

“I guess I didn’t make that great of an impression if you’ve already forgotten me.”

Hayden was slightly irritated playing this guessing game and took her phone in her hand to check her caller id. Justin.

“Sorry Justin, I was just getting started on my proposal.” Hayden said. “What’s up?”

“I’m bored.” Justin sighed into the phone.

“You can’t be serious! You spend all day working your ass off in the studio and when you get home, you’re bored?” Hayden asked as she put her laptop on the couch.

“Yeah, I need constant stimulation.” Justin laughed at what he just said.

“Wow…I’m going to umm…ignore what you just said.” Hayden blushed at that thought. “Don’t you have friends to hang out with?”

“Ouch, that hurt…why? Aren’t you a friend?” Justin asked.

“Well I guess so, but we just met today…”

“True, but I thought I would bother you some more.”

“Gee thanks, you’re going to be able to bother me all day tomorrow.” Hayden laughed. “Besides, I should really get back to this proposal. If I finish it I’ll bring it with tomorrow and you can read it, let me know what you think.” Hayden said.

“That sounds good. Well I suppose I’ll let you get back to that. Have fun!”

“Will do, thanks Justin. I’ll talk to you later. Bye!” Hayden said.

“Later Hayden.” Justin said before hanging up.

He is seriously crazy. Hayden thought to herself before busting out laughing again. That guy was definitely going to be fun to hang out with for the next couple of months. She was in for an interesting ride that’s for sure.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin college