Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey Everyone!! Thank you for all of the great reviews! They're awesome! But I finished another chapter, so let me know what you think! Hope you like it! :) Please continue to review, I love them!! :)
Chapter 22: Comfort & Strength

Hayden couldn’t stop the tears from falling the entire plane ride out to California. Luckily, Hayden and Justin were able to catch the red eye flight out of Chicago with no problems. Justin had called Johnny earlier to let him know what was going on and they agreed it would be best for Justin to go along. Thankfully, he had a few days off before he needed to be back for the tour and he was going to spend every minute by her side. Justin had arranged a car for the two of them once they reached Los Angeles, that way they would be able to head straight to the hospital.

Hayden was in complete shock and her body was working on auto-pilot. She felt numb and totally lost. Her brother was everything to her and she didn’t know what she would do if anything ever happened to him. Once, they had booked their flight Hayden called her mom to let her know when she would get in to California. She was thankful to have Justin coming with her because she felt like any minute she was going to breakdown.

“Hayden…we’re here. You ok babe?” Justin said once he put the car in park outside of the hospital.

“No I’m not…I need to see him.” Hayden said whipping the car door open and slamming it shut.

Justin had to run to catch up to her and he found her leaning over the nurse’s station as she talked to the lady behind the desk. “I need to know what room Tyler Charles is in.”

“What relation are you?” The lady asked as she typed his name into the computer.

“I’m his sister…please.” Hayden said desperately. She just wanted to see her brother, she needed to know if he was going to be ok and she was wasting time with this lady.

“He’s in room 615, miss.” But before the lady could say anything else, Hayden was already halfway down the hallway in search of Tyler’s room. Justin started running after her as soon as she took off. He could feel his heart pounding against his chest. Hayden was extremely upset and it killed him to just watch her go through these emotions and know there’s nothing he could do.

Hayden spun around the corner and finally came upon his room. Immediately, she froze when she read her brother’s name across the charts and a new batch of tears sprung to her eyes. Justin cautiously pulled Hayden to his chest and he stroked his hand down her back. “I’ll be right here…” He cooed into her ear.

“Hold my hand Justin.” Hayden said while reaching for his hand and clasping onto it with a death grip. Hayden walked in first with Justin following closely behind. The beeps of the machines filled the room and Hayden immediately caught sight of her mom and dad huddled in the corner.

“Mom…Dad…” Hayden said softly.

“Hayden…sweetie.” Kathy Charles whispered and enveloped Hayden into her arms. Justin took a step back and let Hayden grieve with her parents; however, he did glance over at Tyler lying in the bed. The steady beeping of the machines, the tubes, the bandages and the bruises, Tyler was almost unrecognizable.

Hayden slowly approached Tyler’s sleeping form and reached for his hand. Softly, she raised it to her lips and gave it a kiss. Hayden couldn’t stop the sobs that were now wracking her body. She collapsed over his bed and let the tears flow from here eyes. All the fear, the sadness and the worry escaped through her body. Justin felt a burning sensation on his eyes when he saw the pain Hayden was going through. He felt like a bit of an outsider, watching a very private moment.

Suddenly, he felt a tap on his shoulder. “Hey Son…thank you for coming with her. We’re going to give her some time and head downstairs to get something to drink.” Paul, Hayden’s father said softly to Justin.

“Ok…You know Mr. Charles; I’d do anything she asked me.” Justin said honestly.

“I know…” Paul said before walking out of the room with Kathy tucked under his arm.

Justin continued to stand away from the bed. He knew this was Hayden’s moment to let her brother know she was there. He felt terrible watching her breakdown but all he could think of doing is holding her in his arms.

“Justin…come here…” Hayden said looking up from the bed and motioning to the chair beside her. Carefully, Justin approached the chair and sat down wrapping his arm around her back. “My mom said that he’s in a coma right now. The doctors won’t know if there’s any brain damage.”

Justin knew it was best not to say anything and let her get it all out. Instinctively, he started to rub her back as the words flowed out of her mouth. “He was working undercover when a bunch of guys jumped him. They beat him and shot him…oh my god…they shot my brother.” Hayden cried. “How could anyone do that?” Hayden asked looking Justin in the eyes.

Her eyes were swollen and glossed over, it broke his heart. “I don’t know sweetie…I don’t know.” Justin soothed.

“Justin…I don’t know what I would do if anything happens to him. He’s always been there for me.” Hayden whimpered.

“He’s strong Hayden…he knows you’re here. Tyler’s going to make it through this. He’ll fight.” Justin said trying his best to comfort her.

“I’m just so scared Justin…”

“I know babe…I’m right here for you.” Justin said rubbing his hand on her back.

Hayden and Justin stayed at Tyler’s bedside for a couple of hours. Hayden’s parents returned about an hour after they left and the four of them were glued to Tyler’s side. Hayden told stories about the tour and her job, trying to register any kind of reaction from Tyler. Periodically through the night, the doctor would come in and check Tyler’s condition but hardly anything changed.

Justin and Hayden were emotionally, mentally and physically exhausted after everything that had happened. Hayden was having a hard time keeping her eyes open at the hospital and her parent’s told her to go and get some rest. Justin decided to take her back to his house and watch her while her parents stayed at the hospital.

The drive back to Justin’s house was completely silent. Hayden didn’t know what to say and all she could think about was sleeping. Justin carried all of their bags into his house and Hayden followed behind with her shoulders slumped. Automatically, Hayden started her trek up the stairs towards Justin’s bedroom. Once inside, she shed herself from her clothes and put on shorts and a tank top. Immediately, she hopped into his bed and snuggled deep into the covers. A few minutes later, Justin made his way into the bedroom and crawled into bed with her. Hayden was already fast asleep and Justin molded his body to hers, wrapping her protectively in his arms. Within seconds, Justin was drifting off to sleep too.
_______________________________________________________________________

The events of the previous night had exhausted both Hayden and Justin that neither woke up until the following day. Hayden’s parents knew she was drained and wanted her to get some rest, since there was no change in Tyler, there was no need for Hayden to continue to wear herself down. Finally, Hayden stirred in the bed and her eyes fluttered open. She felt the weight of Justin pinning her to the bed and she shifted slightly so that she was facing him. Her sudden shift in the bed woke Justin from his slumber.

“Good morning Beautiful.” Justin said sleep laced in his voice.

“Hi…” Hayden said softly while snuggling closer to his chest.

“How are you doing?” Justin said pulling her closer to him.

“I’m ok…”

“Yeah…everything’s going to be ok sweetie. Do you want to take a shower and then we can head over to the hospital?” Justin said lifting her chin up to meet her eyes.

“Yeah…” Hayden said looking into his soft blue ones. His eyes reflected his concern and even more so the love he felt for her. “Thank you Justin…for everything. I know you don’t need to be here, especially in the middle of a tour, but it really means a lot to me. You don’t even know how much it means.”

“I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else but right here with you.”

Hayden felt those words deep inside her soul and she slowly kissed him. It wasn’t a passionate kiss or one of lust but it was out of gratitude and friendship. He was there for her every step of the way and she would never forget what he did for her.

“What was that for?” Justin said when she pulled away.

“It was my way of saying thanks.” Hayden answered before getting out of bed and heading into the bathroom. Once she closed the door, Justin headed downstairs into the kitchen to see if there was anything he could get her for breakfast. Since he was on tour right now, there wasn’t really anything in the fridge to make. Frustrated, he shut the door and figured he’d grab something on the way to hospital.

After some much needed rest, showers and food, Hayden and Justin were making their way down the hall towards Tyler’s room. Hayden quietly pushed the door open and walked towards her brother. Softly, she kissed him on the cheek and squeezed his hand. Justin greeted her parents while Hayden continued to talk to her brother.

“How’s he doing?” Justin asked Paul.

“Still no change. The doctors say it could be a matter of days or weeks before he comes out of the coma. They can’t really do anything until then though. So we’re stuck hoping and praying that everything will be all right.

“I see…well I’m definitely praying for a safe recovery.”

“Me too Son…” Paul said in the fatherly tone and as much as Justin hated being called Son. Something about Hayden’s dad using it felt right. It was like he was part of the family and they accepted him with open arms. “So how long do you have off from your tour? I would assume you have to go back soon?” Paul asked.

“I have a week left before I need to meet back up with everyone in New York. I plan on staying till the very last second though.” Justin said turning to look at Hayden.

“I can see you care deeply for my daughter. She’s lucky to have someone like you around.” Paul said genuinely.

“I’m lucky to have her around, Sir. She’s everything to me and I’d do anything she asked.” Justin said as a small smile crossed his face when he saw Hayden laughing with her mom about something they were telling Tyler.

“Well let’s hope Tyler gets through this because those two are so close…I can’t watch my daughter lose someone she loves again.” Paul said putting his hand on Justin’s shoulder. No more words were exchanged; it was as if everything was spoken in the silence. Paul respected everything Justin was doing and he was thankful someone was there to watch over Hayden, especially right now.

The morning rolled on into the afternoon and soon nighttime was setting in. Hayden was now sitting next to Tyler with his hand firmly in her grasp as she told him about all of the things she’s been doing on Justin’s tour. Justin had decided to take a trip down to the cafeteria and get something to drink quickly, while Hayden talked to Tyler.

“I love going out and taking pictures with his fans. They’re all so sweet Ty. I usually set up the merchandise tables before the show and then once Justin gets on stage, I head down to watch. It’s fun to see him perform every night. He’s here with me too Ty. He’s worried about you and wants to see you pull through this. He’s been wonderful…I think he would pass your liking again. Oh, I forgot…I never passed along that threat of yours. I’ll make sure and do that.”

Softly, there was a knock at the door and Justin peaked his head in. “I brought you some water.” He said handing her the bottle of water.

“Thanks. I was just telling him about the tour.” Hayden took a drink of the cool liquid.

“Oh yeah…Tyler, when you get better I hope to see you at one of the shows.” Justin said sitting down next to Hayden. “How are you doing sweetie?”

“I’m all right. I’m actually starting to get tired.” Hayden yawned as if on cue.

“Me too…”

“Why don’t you two head home for the night?” Kathy said from a chair across the room. “Your father and I got plenty of rest while you two were here. Go home and try and relax. Hayden we’ll call you if there’s any change.”

“Are you sure Mom?” Hayden asked as she stood up.

“Yes absolutely. Now go…” Kathy said ushering them out the door but not before getting in a few hugs and well wishes.

Hayden and Justin decided to go directly back to his place. They weren’t really in the mood to go out and do anything. They just wanted to get back home and be with each other right now. Once they arrived back at his place, Hayden asked if he wanted to go sit outside in the hot tub and talk. Justin obliged and handed Hayden some clothes to change into since she didn’t have a bathing suit with.

After changing into his clothes, Hayden was outside and relaxing in the hot tub. It felt good to have the hot water massaging her body. She needed something to take her mind off of everything and this was exactly what she needed. Soon, Justin joined her outside and the two of them were just enjoying one another.

“Justin, why did you come with? I mean this was your week to relax during the tour and I feel bad you’re all the way back in California running back and forth between your house and the hospital.”

“Hayden…there’s no way I could’ve stayed on that tour knowing what you were going through. I wanted to be here. Not just for you but also for Tyler. I know he probably wants to kill me after what happened between us. But he’s still a friend.”

“I never told you…actually, earlier in the day before everything happened, Tyler called me. He asked about you and how things were going. I told him that everything was going great and you and I were having fun together.” Hayden said smiling. “But he wanted me to tell you that if you fuck with me, he’s going to pay you a visit.”

Justin started to chuckle when she finished. “I can guarantee I’m not going to fuck with you…so there’s no need for a visit.”

“Good…” Hayden said sliding over next to Justin and snuggling closer to his side. Being near him brought a sense of warmth and security for Hayden. He always knew what to say to calm her fears or when to grab her hand when she needed that extra bit of strength. “Thank you Justin…”

“Anytime Beautiful…anytime.”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin college