Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey Everyone!!! So I just finished another chapter!! I hope you guys like it, please review and let me know! I'm hoping to update again real soon...thank you to everyone for all of the great reviews!! It's awesome! :)
Chapter 21: I Never


Hayden’s eyes fluttered open and immediately she felt a heavy throbbing in her head. Carefully, she lifted the covers back and swung her legs around. Instantly, she regretted the movement and laid back down when the pain rushed through her body.

“I am never drinking again…” Hayden groaned as she rolled onto her side.

Before she closed her eyes, she caught sight of something on her nightstand. Carefully she reached her hand out and grabbed the basket, pulling it onto the bed with her. Inside, were a couple of bottles of water, some Tylenol, and a letter with her name on it. Hayden warily pushed herself up and sat with her back against the headboard. Opening a bottle of water, she took a drink and washed down a couple of Tylenol to help ease her headache before opening the letter.

Hayden,

Good Morning Beautiful! I hope this basket helps cure any pain you’re feeling after last night. You were in rough shape when we left and I thought this might help.

All my love,
Justin


Hayden felt a small smile overtake her face at his thoughtfulness. She had a great time last night and drank probably way more than she should have. But Justin was there to take care of her and it felt good to know that he cared. Everything was a little hazy in her memory when she tried to recall the exact events of last night. Knowing she needed to thank Justin, Hayden found the strength to get out of bed and make her way down to his room.

Cautiously, she knocked on the door. Shifting her weight from one foot to the other, she waited until he opened the door. His bright smile overtook his face when he saw who it was at the door.

“Come in…how are you feeling?” Justin said while opening the door wider for Hayden.

“I feel like a bus ran over my head…” Hayden groaned while walking in and sitting down on his bed. She noticed the bed was already made, which was a little strange this early in the morning.

“I bet…you were wasted by the time we all left the club. Did you have fun at least?” Justin asked sitting on the couch.

“Yeah I did…Justin, how come your bed is still made?” Hayden interrupted herself, she couldn’t get past the fact that his bed was still made.

Justin felt the nervousness in his stomach with her question. She obviously didn’t remember asking him to sleep with her and she probably didn’t remember the kiss they shared. “You don’t remember, do you?” Justin asked.

“Remember what?” Hayden inquired.

Justin started to squirm under her gaze and he knew he’d have to be careful with his words. “By the time we got back to the hotel, you were in no shape to even walk inside. I carried you to your room, got you ready for bed, and then when I was leaving you asked if I would stay with you. I tried to object…but you were pouting and I wanted to make sure you were ok, so I stayed in your room last night.”

Hayden was a little embarrassed by her actions and even more so that she couldn’t remember last night. “Why weren’t you there when I woke up then?”

“I told you…I stayed with you last night to make sure you were ok. When I woke up, I knew you were ok and that’s when I went and made that little basket for you. After that, I came in here to get ready.”

“Oh…I see…did umm…did anything happen? Hayden blushed and covered her face with her hands. “I’m sorry Justin…I’m trying to remember.”

Justin laughed at her bashfulness. “Nothing happened Hayden. We just slept.” He knew he was leaving out the kiss but right now, it was for the best.

“Alright…” Hayden said relieved that they only slept in the same bed. Her friendship with Justin was just developing again and she didn’t need to throw sex into the mix. That could only complicate things even more and Hayden was sure she didn’t need any more complications. “I’ll let you finish getting ready…I just wanted to say thanks for taking care of me last night and for the basket. It was really sweet.”

“You’re welcome Hayden.” Justin said getting up and pulling her into a hug.

The two of them stood their just enjoying being in each other’s arms again. Each day that passed, Hayden found it harder and harder to be angry with him anymore. It was true that he had hurt her, he had crushed her heart but she also knew no one had ever brought out the best in her, like he did. It was like being in his arms made everything better…it was easy to get caught up in everything and forget what happened.

Hayden gently released her grip and turned to leave his room. Last night just proved to her even more that he was willing to do whatever it took to win her back. He took care of her, he made sure she was safe and he stayed by her side when she was vulnerable. It meant a lot to her and she was going to show him that she could be there for him in return. Hey, that’s what friends do…right?
________________________________________________________________________

Hayden had spent the majority of the day nursing her hangover. After leaving Justin’s room, she decided to go back to sleep in hopes of sleeping off her headache. Luckily, when she woke up again she was already feeling a hundred times better. Hayden took a quick shower before she sat down and pulled out her laptop to type up some more notes for the tour. Tonight she was planning on staying at the hotel and getting caught up on her work, rather than go over to the arena. She was definitely behind and she needed to get some updates out to her boss. Suddenly, her cell phone started ringing. Hayden reached for it and tucked it under her chin and shoulder.

“Hey Tyler!” Hayden greeted her brother on the phone.

“Hey sis…how’s the tour going?” Tyler said excitedly.

“It’s good. We’re in Chicago tonight and I’m just typing up some notes at the hotel before we go over to the arena. What’s going on in California?” Hayden asked as she finished her work and closed her laptop.

“Not a whole lot. I’ve been pretty busy with work. I’m working on a big case here in Los Angeles with some other detectives, so that’s why I haven’t been around lately.”

“I see…well be careful. I don’t need anything happening to you.” Hayden said in her best protective voice.

“I know…don’t worry about me Hayden. I can take care of myself. I’ve been worried about you…how’s everything going with Justin?” Tyler questioned.

“Things have been interesting…when I first got on the tour I avoided him like the plague. But he just kept showing up everywhere I was. I don’t know Tyler…everything’s been kind of fun…if that makes sense.”

“What do you mean fun Hayden?” Tyler persisted.

“I came on the tour, knowing I was going to stay away from him and just do my job. But he’s doing little things here and there to let me know that he still cares. He’s always around and it’s like we’re finally figuring out how to be friends again after all this time. It feels good to have him back in my life. I’m still nervous and cautious because he hurt me but each day that passes it gets a little easier to let the pain go.”

“Just be careful Hayden. The media is always going to be a part of Justin’s life…there’s no escaping that. I just don’t want to see that happen to you again.” Tyler cautioned.

“I know Tyler…we’re just…I don’t really know how to explain it.”

“Do you love him?” Tyler blurted out.

Hayden was taken off guard by that question because she honestly hadn’t thought about it. “I don’t know Ty…”

“I see. Well make sure you tell Justin that if he fucks with my sister again…I will be paying him a visit.”

Hayden erupted into laughter with that. “I’ll make sure and pass that along Ty.”

“Good! Well Hayden…I’ll let you get back to work stuff. I’ve got to head back to the station.”

“Sounds good Ty. Thanks for calling and I’ll talk to you later! Love ya!” Hayden said.

“Bye Sis.”

Hayden closed her phone and put it into her pocket. It was good to talk to Tyler again but their conversation was plaguing her mind. Did she love Justin? She wasn’t really sure if she ever even fell out of love with him. She was certain about one thing, she enjoyed having him around again and she was going to hold onto that. Right now, it was easy to examine everything and look at all the positives because the media wasn’t a problem. Yet, she knew that wouldn’t last for much longer and once that started…she had no idea what would happen between them.

Abruptly there was a knock on her door and she made her way over to answer it. Swinging it open she was glad to see the man she was just thinking about.

“Hey J. What’s up?”

“You ready to head over to the arena?”

“Umm…actually I talked to Johnny the other day. I’m going to stay here and get caught up on some work. I need to submit a bunch of reports today and since everyone will be at the arena, I should get caught up pretty quick.”

Justin’s face fell. He never thought about Hayden not being at his shows, knowing she was watching helped get him through it each night. “Oh…I didn’t know. Alright then, I guess I’ll catch ya later.” Justin turned on his heel and started to head down the hallway.

“Hey…come back.” Hayden yelled. “Don’t be mad. I’ve got to get this stuff done…I’ll be at the next show.”

“I know…it’s ok Hayden. Don’t worry.” Justin said trying to hide the disappointment in his voice.

“I’m sorry Justin, but hey…when you guys get back to the hotel, come to my room and we can hang out. I should’ve gotten all of my work done, so we can just chill. How does that sound?” Hayden offered.

Justin couldn’t stop the smile that spread over his face. “I’d like that. I’ll come over as soon as I’m back.” Justin gave Hayden a quick hug before turning on his heels and ran to catch up with everyone. Hayden smiled knowingly and walked back inside her room. She was determined to finish her work because tonight she was actually looking forward to hanging out with him alone.
________________________________________________________________________

Hayden managed to finish her work around ten and now was just lounging around waiting for Justin to get back. Some of her reports took her longer than anticipated and she was definitely glad she took the night off to get caught up. Earlier she had changed into a pair of pajama pants and a sweatshirt…she figured they’d just be watching a movie. Hayden was flipping through the channels until finally there was a knock at her door. Excitedly, she got up and answered the door.

“Hey Hayden…” Justin said exhaustedly. The crew had arrived back at the hotel a littler earlier and he decided to take a shower first. After changing into a pair of rip-aways and a sweatshirt Justin headed over to her room for the rest of the night.

“Hey J…how was the show?” Hayden asked as she opened the door for him.

“It went well…I missed you though.” Justin said as he plopped down on her bed.

“Trust me…I would’ve rather been there then be stuck here doing work. It’s been a pretty boring night.” Hayden said grabbing him a water bottle and tossing it to him.

“Did you get caught up?” Justin asked while twisting the cap off and taking a drink. The cool water was exactly what he needed after exhausting himself on stage for the last two hours.

“Yeah I did…so what do you want to do? Watch a movie?” Hayden asked as she sat down next to him.

“Yeah that’s cool…but I’m not watching any Pirates of the Caribbean, so don’t even try it Hayden!”

Hayden innocently batted her eyelashes at him. “Justin…they’re good movies. They just happen to have the sexy Johnny Depp. Don’t be jealous!” Hayden said gently hitting him in the stomach.

“I’m not jealous!” Justin countered as he puffed out his chest a little more. “It’s just we always watch those movies when we hang out. My copy at home skips because you’ve played it so much Hayden.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Hayden said innocently. “Fine…you put something in.” Hayden said throwing him the remote.

A few minutes later, The Departed came on the screen and the two of them settled in for a nice relaxing evening together. There was a certain aura in the room and it was comforting to just sit with each other, enjoying one another’s company.

Although, about an hour into the movie, Justin was getting antsy. “Hayden…I’m bored.” Justin pouted.

“What do you mean you’re bored? Watch the movie Justin.” Hayden said while turning her attention back to the screen.

“I can’t…let’s play a game.” Justin suggested.

“Why is that whenever we sit down to watch a movie, we end up playing a game?” Hayden questioned while looking at his outstretched lip and puppy dog eyes.

“Because you love me.”

“I wouldn’t go that far Timberlake. Alright, what do you want to play?” Hayden said while turning the TV down.

“Let’s play I Never .” Justin suggested sitting up and facing Hayden with hands up.

“I don’t know how to play.” Hayden answered truthfully.

“Ok, put your hands up and keep all your fingers up. I’ll go first…I’ll say something that I’ve never done and if you have done it, then you have to put a finger down. The person who puts all their fingers down first looses.” Justin explained and Hayden nodded that she understood. “Ok…I’ve never skydived.”

Hayden confidently left all her fingers up. “Me either. All right…I’ve never had a one night stand.” Hayden said evilly.

Justin reluctantly put a finger down and blushed immediately. “I was young and stupid when it happened, Hayden.” Justin tried to explain it and Hayden just laughed. She wasn’t mad at all; she was just looking to get certain things out in the open.

“Don’t worry Justin…it’s your turn.” Hayden said nudging him to continue.

“I’ve never been on a blind date.”

Hayden sadly put a finger down. “Riley set me up with this guy after Josh’s death, that I could’ve killed her for. She was just trying to help…but it was a disaster. All right…umm…I’ve never said I love you and didn’t mean it.” Hayden said confidently.

Justin left all of his fingers up. He felt a warm sensation run through his heart, remembering the first time she said “I love You” in the limo before the VMA’s. “Me either…umm…I’ve never walked in on my parents having sex.”

Hayden nearly spit the water out that she was drinking. “Where in the hell did that come from?” Hayden said wiping at her mouth.

“What?! It’s something I’ve never seen…thank God!” Justin laughed.

Hayden unwillingly put another finger down.

“You’ve walked in on your parents?!” Justin yelled when she revealed that news.

“Please, don’t remind me. Tyler and I both did. It was awful. Sex is a beautiful thing…but there is nothing beautiful about seeing your parents doing it.” Hayden cringed.

“Oh man…that is hilarious!!! I would die if anyone walked in on me having sex.” Justin said reaching for his water.

“You’re telling me! Ok, let’s change the subject please!” Hayden contemplated her next question, but something inside of her needed to know the answer. “I’ve never kissed and or been with anyone since you.”

Justin confidently left all of his fingers up. He knew that was difficult for her to ask and he was proud to be able to answer her truthfully. “I haven’t either...” Justin said dropping his hands and reaching for hers. “There’s no one I’d rather be with than you and I know it’s not that simple but I told you…I’m willing to do whatever it takes to make you see that I really do love you.”

Hayden felt her cheeks burning and her heart felt like it was going to explode out of her chest. This game definitely took a serious turn and she was looking for any kind of escape. “Justin…maybe we…” Hayden tried but she was interrupted when his lips crashed upon hers. Hayden was stunned and shell shocked but something inside her clicked and she started to move her lips along with his. Justin brought his hands up to her face and pulled her closer to him. Hayden’s hands automatically went around his neck and entangled in the small curls at the nape of his neck.

Gently, Justin shifted his weight on top of her and laid them down gently. Not willing to break the contact of their lips, he maneuvered his hands down her body and wrapped them around her waist, pulling her flush against his body. It felt so good to feel her close to him again. Softly, he began to run his fingers down her back, not missing an inch of skin.

Suddenly, there was a piercing ringing that interrupted their thoughts. Justin groaned when Hayden broke their contact and reached for her cell phone. She was surprised that someone was calling her, considering it was really late but she was also thankful for the interruption. Justin had ignited something deep inside of her and she knew things could’ve definitely gotten out of hand.

“Hello?” Hayden said opening her phone.

“Hayden…” A tearful voice called through the phone.

“Mom...what’s going on?” Hayden said panicked. Justin immediately adjusted his position when he heard the panic in her voice. Concern flooded his body and he reached out to put his hand on her back.

“It’s Tyler…”

“Mom…what happened to Tyler? Is he ok? What’s going on?” Hayden said frightened as the tears clouded her eyes.

“He’s been shot…he’s in the hospital. Can you come out to California?” Hayden’s mom managed to squeak out through her tears.

“Yeah…I’m heading to the airport right now. Tell Tyler to hang in there and I love him. I’ll call you as soon as I get a flight.” Hayden said jumping out of bed and throwing her phone down. The tears were falling freely from her eyes now as she grabbed her bag and started throwing her belongings into it.

Justin was scared when he saw the look on her face. “Hayden…what’s going on?” Justin asked concern filling his voice.

“It’s Tyler…Justin, he’s been shot.” Hayden said while turning around and looking at him. Speaking those words made it all so clear and Hayden collapsed to the floor in a sea of tears. Her body was shaking and she couldn’t find the strength to stand anymore. Immediately, Justin rushed to her side and wrapped her in his arms. He rocked her back and forth while rubbing her back.

“Shh...it’ll be ok.” Justin cooed into her ear. “We need to get going…come on let’s get packed and I’ll call Johnny.” Justin said lifting Hayden to her feet and throwing her bag over his shoulder.

“What do you mean “we”, Justin?” Hayden said through her tears.

“I’m going with…” Justin said lifting her chin to look into her eyes. There was no way he was going to let her go through this alone. He loved this woman and right now she needed him and like hell he would let her down.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin college