Author's Chapter Notes:
So I figured out that if I don't write an author note, the alignment get's all goofy. So here's my little ramblings, hahaha!!
Chapter 2: Old Times


“I still can’t believe you’re going out to California for the rest of the semester.” Riley pouted as Hayden was busy running around collecting everything she would need for her trip.

“I have to, Tyler set up a meeting with Johnny Wright, one of the biggest music managers out there, to help me with my senior project. This is one of the best opportunities I will ever have.” Hayden said while folding her clothes and putting them into her suitcase.

Riley quickly picked up a shirt that fell off of the bed and put it in the suitcase. “I know, but it’s our senior year and I wanted to spend the last semester hanging out with you.”

Hayden stopped packing for a second and sat down on her bed. “Riles, you know I would love to be able to do that for the rest of the semester, but this project is everything to me. I have never been able to pursue anything with the music industry. I mean, Minneapolis is not really the music capital of the world.” Hayden smiled. “Besides, I am only a phone call away and you can come out and visit. Tyler definitely wouldn’t mind to see you.” Hayden always knew Tyler had a crush on Riley but he never pursued anything being that Riley was in fact Hayden’s best friend.

Riley giggled at that and gave Hayden a quick hug. “All right, All right. Let’s get you packed.” The girls quickly resumed putting all of Hayden’s belongings in various suitcases. This was Hayden’s one shot to get her foot in the door when it came to the music industry. The music business is all about who you know and being from a small town, she knew nobody. Therefore, this was a huge opportunity for her. Not only was it important career wise, but this was the final piece to her college career. This was her chance to prove to everybody that she could produce an impressive project on her own terms. Everything was riding on this project and she was damn sure going to give it everything she had.

______________________________________________________________________

(LAX Airport)

Hayden looked throughout the terminal for the infamous black hair and big blue eyes that belonged to her brother, Tyler. She never understood how he had such dark hair and she was the only blonde in the family, yet they both shared those big blue eyes. Hayden and Tyler were always inseparable when they were younger. Nobody understood the bond that Tyler and Hayden shared; even their parents were surprised at how well their children got along. Tyler had been there for Hayden during rough times and for that, they had always been the best of friends. Tyler was her strength. Nobody could ever come between these two.

“Hayden!!” Tyler yelled.

Hayden quickly spun around on her heels at his voice. She quickly scanned the crowd in search of him and finally there were those big blue eyes. “Tyler!!”

Hayden grabbed her bags and quickened her pace towards her brother. Tyler seemed to be running because she didn’t get very far before she was being enveloped in a huge hug.

“It’s about time you come out to California!” Tyler said while hugging his sister.

Hayden pulled away from the hug in order to see him better. “Well you know me, always a little slow to get going! Tyler laughed and gave her another quick hug.

“Are you going to stand there and just hug me or are you going to help me with all of these bags? I think I packed everything I own. Plus, I would like to see more of California than just the Airport.” They both laughed while Tyler grabbed a couple of Hayden’s bags. They quickly fell into step out of the airport and towards his car.

“You’re going to love California. I bet by the end of this whole thing, you’re going to want to move out here too.” Tyler said while lifting all of Hayden’s bags into the car.

“The only reason I would ever want to move out here is to be closer to you.” Hayden said while getting into Tyler’s car. They talked and laughed while reminiscing about old time back in Minnesota the entire time back to Tyler’s house.
__________________________________________________________________


“Wow, this is your house?! I mean I’ve seen the pictures you’ve sent but this is incredible Ty.” Hayden said while looking around Tyler’s gigantic house in Los Angeles. It had a huge open living room with big bay windows overlooking his pool. To her left were the stairs leading both to the basement and to the second level. “Which one is my room?! I want to explore!” Hayden said while walking up the stairs.

“Second door on your right.” Tyler yelled from the kitchen.

Hayden opened the doors to her new bedroom. It was incredible; it was twice as big as her bedroom in Minnesota. Hayden and Tyler were certainly not poor but neither ever flaunted their money. The room had a big bed with lavender sheets and down comforter all ready for her. There were huge windows just like downstairs that overlooked the pool. But the best thing about her new bedroom was the adjoining bathroom. She could definitely get used to living here.

Hayden ran back downstairs in search of Tyler. She found him sitting at the island reading a magazine. “Tyler, are you kidding me?! This house is beautiful!” Hayden said while wrapping her arms around her brother’s neck before she started scrounging around for something to eat.

“Thank you, I like it too!” Tyler said while looking up from his magazine. “So are you excited to talk to Johnny tomorrow? Do you have any questions laid out for him already?”

“I am really excited to talk to him. He’s one of the biggest and most successful music managers out there. He could definitely be able to open my eyes to just exactly what this business entails.” Hayden said while reaching for a can of pop in the refrigerator. “I know I want to ask him about how he got his start, what his day to day duties include, and about some of the artists he manages.”

“Those are all really good places to start. When I called Johnny about meeting with you, he said he would be busy working with a couple of his artists and that hopefully if all goes well, you would be able to join him. He said he would take you with to the studios so you can see how recording is done. I thought that would be excellent for your project.” Tyler said while getting up from his spot on the island and walking into the kitchen.

“Oh wow, that would be awesome!” Hayden said while taking a sip from her pop.

“Yeah that’s what I thought. A little off topic here, but what do you want for dinner? I’m hungry and it’s getting late. I was thinking about just ordering a pizza, how does that sound?” Tyler said while reaching for his phonebook.

“Yeah that’d be fine.” Hayden said while walking into the living room and plopping down on the couch.

“It should be here in 30-40 minutes.” Tyler said while joining Hayden on the couch. “So tell me about what’s been going on back in Minnesota?”

“Not a whole lot. Everything’s been good. Mom and Dad are doing fine and Riley says hello.” Tyler blushed and Hayden was quick to notice but just let it go for the time being. “School’s been going well, I’ve been pretty stressed out over this project but now that I have an idea, I’m trying to relax a little.” Hayden said while putting her pop on the table next to her.

“Well you covered the basics, but what about you; I want to know how you are doing?” Tyler said while looking Hayden right in her eyes. He always could tell when she was lying by her eyes.

“I’m fine.” Hayden said while looking down sharply.

“I don’t believe you, Hayden.” Tyler said while scooting closer to her on the couch. “I know the last two years have been really hard and I haven’t been there as much as I should have.” Tyler said while putting his arm around his sister.

“Tyler, you’re the only person that really has been there for me. I’m trying hard to move on and get past everything because that’s basically all I can do. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think about him at night or I don’t miss him uncontrollably.” Hayden said while trying to hold back the tears that threatened to emerge.

“Hayden, I’m not going to tell you that I understand because truthfully, I don’t. Nobody knows the pain that you’ve had to go through. But now that you’re out here, I want to talk more with you about everything. I’m sick of talking over the phone and getting the “I’m fine” when I know you’re not. I really want to know how YOU are doing.” Tyler said before the doorbell rang.

“I know. Tyler, I’d like to be able to sit down and actually talk about it with you.” Hayden said while keeping her head down.

Tyler got up from the couch and answered the door. He paid the deliveryman and sat back down on the couch with the pizza. “Well I hope you’re hungry, I ordered your favorite. Just Cheese.” Tyler said while opening the box and grabbing a piece.

“Yum!” Hayden managed to say before taking a big bite into the pizza. They continued to talk about Hayden’s school and Tyler’s job, but neither brought up the previous conversation again that night. They had months to talk about it and neither Hayden nor Tyler wanted to get into it just yet. They would rather enjoy the pizza and laugh; just like old times. It was about time they got back into being the big brother and little sister. This was their night to just be best friends again.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin college