Author's Chapter Notes:
:) I hope you guys like the story so far...please please review!! Let me know what you think!
Chapter 17:Graudation Day


Finally the day Hayden had been waiting for was upon her, it was Graduation day. Her entire family was there to witness her crowning achievement and she couldn’t be happier. This was what she had been working towards for the last four years. She woke up early to work out and now Hayden was in the process of getting ready. Riley would be over soon to take pictures and Hayden knew she’d be looking her best. After curling every piece of hair into a small tendril, Hayden secured her cap on her head.

“Hey GRADUATE!!!” Riley said busting through Hayden’s bedroom door.

“Holy shit you scared the crap out of me!!” Hayden yelled.

“Sorry, I’m just so excited to graduate finally!”

“Me too!!” Hayden said putting her gown on over her black pants and sweater.

“How’d the presentation go yesterday?” Riley asked sitting down on Hayden’s bed.

“Really good…I got an A! Plus, Dr. Brokaw is taking it to a publisher in New York. I’ve never had any of my work published before!!” Hayden said fixing her gown one last time.

“That’s awesome…congrats! Since we’re on the topic, have you heard anything from Justin?” Riley asked slyly.

“Nice change of subject Riles! Nope, he hasn’t called me. When we broke up, I wanted time to just be me. When Justin and I started dating…I wasn’t fully over Josh. My feelings for Justin were masking the pain I still felt for Josh. But for the first time Riles…I’m ok with my life. I’ve accepted what happened and I’m moving on from it. But when it comes to Justin…yeah I still love him.”

“Good…cause I liked Justin! Now let’s go graduate and start celebrating!!!” Riley said wrapping her arm around Hayden and walking outside to take pictures.

________________________________________________________________________

“Justin…are you up?!” Lynn yelled from the stairs.

Justin’s head throbbed at the piercing sound of his mother’s voice breaking him from his slumber. As soon as he sat up, he felt the blood rush from his head only to be replaced with a headache. He had one…no make that five drinks too much last night. Trace had flown back to try and cheer Justin up and took him out to the bars. Honestly he couldn’t remember much of the night, it was good for him to just go out and get his mind off missing Hayden. He hadn’t tried calling her simply because he didn’t know what to say. Therefore, he just avoided the situation all together. Yeah…he knew that wasn’t the manliest thing to do…but hey, at least his pride wouldn’t be crushed if she shot him down again. After regaining some sort of grip on his whereabouts he made his way into the bathroom to shower. Twenty minutes later, Justin was heading down the stairs in search of some aspirin.

“Hey Ma…” Justin said opening the cabinet and grabbing two pills.

“How are you feeling?” Lynn asked handing Justin a bowl and some cereal.

“I’m all right…just got a bit of a headache.”

“That’s what you get for staying out so late…anyways though, Trace called, he wants you to call him back. I’ve got some errands to run, you want to come with?” Lynn asked while grabbing her car keys.

“Nah, I’m going to call Trace quickly. I’ll see you later though.” Justin said giving her a quick kiss on the cheek and heading back upstairs to call Trace.

After grabbing his cell phone, he preceded to dial the familiar numbers. A couple of rings later, Trace answered.

“Hey man, how are you feeling?” Justin asked.

“I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck…you?”

“I felt that way this morning…but I’m feeling better now that I ate something. What happened last night?! I don’t remember a lot of it.” Justin asked while turning the TV on.

“Tell me you’re joking…come on…you don’t remember running into Nichole and Brooke?”

“We did?!” Justin asked hastily trying to remember the previous night’s events.

“Yeah…you and Nichole definitely got a reacquainted.” Trace said laughing.

“What?!?!” Justin felt his heart rate quicken at that news. “What happened?”

“You were bumming pretty bad last night about Hayden, and then Nichole and Brooke showed up at the bar, you invited them over and we all started drinking. Things must’ve gotten out of control with the drinks because by the end of the night Nichole was practically down your throat. So we left the bar to come back to my place, I don’t know what all happened because you two disappeared into a bedroom for a while, but it doesn’t take a genius to guess what was going on.”

Justin felt his heart sink when the memories of last night flooded back to him. He didn’t even like Nichole, it was a total mistake. “Trace…why didn’t you stop me?”

“I tried…I kept saying, what about Hayden…but you weren’t having it.” Trace said.

“Fuck man…what am I going to do?” Justin said exasperatedly

“Technically you didn’t do anything wrong Justin…you guys aren’t together.” Trace offered.

“I know…but that doesn’t matter, I love her and I don’t want her to think otherwise.”

“All right man…well I suggest you tell her or something before she reads it in the papers. The paparazzi were out last night. I’m sure there will be headlines that you left with Nichole.” Trace said.

“Thanks man…I’ll call you later though.”

“All right, later.” Trace said before hanging up the phone.

Justin threw his phone to the side and contemplated what to tell Hayden. He knew technically he didn’t do anything wrong but that was beside the point. He was still very much in love with her. He didn’t need her to see him making out with another girl in magazines, the very thing that broke them apart, when all he could think about was how to get her back. He certainly didn’t need her to read that he slept with someone last night either. He had royally fucked up.

________________________________________________________________________

The graduation ceremony was coming to a close and all Hayden could think about was the party tonight. She couldn’t wait to go out with Riley again and see all of her friends she’d missed over the semester. Tonight was definitely all about the two of them and she was definitely going to let loose. Once the ceremony concluded, Hayden and Riley preceded to take hundreds of more pictures with their diplomas in hand.

“We’re so proud of you honey!!” Hayden’s mom said hugging her daughter again.

“Thanks mom!”

“So what are you and Riley going to do now?”

“Head back to the apartment to change and then head down to Brothers. Are you guys coming?” Hayden asked.

“Tyler’s going to go…but your father and I are going to let you guys have fun tonight. You deserve it!”

“Sounds good…well mom, Riley’s waiting for me. I’ll call you guys later. Thank you! Love you!” Hayden said before walking out the doors towards Riley’s car.

Hayden and Riley made the short drive back to their apartment where they preceded to blast music while getting ready for the night. Everything from Ludacris, to Christina Aguilera, to Rascal Flatts adorned the speakers. However the mood definitely took a solemn turn when Justin’s “My Love” started playing. Riley quickly made her way to the computer and changed the song.

“Don’t let that get you down…” Riley said walking back into the bathroom.

“It’s not…I guess, I just thought he’d call at least for my Graduation. He knew how important this day was.”

“Well, you told him you wanted space. He’s doing what you asked for…keep that in mind. Besides I’m sure he’s thinking about you.” Riley said putting the finishing touches to her make-up.

“I guess you’re right…you ready to get going?” Hayden asked grabbing her purse.

“Yep…let’s get our sexy on…” Riley said laughing.

“Go head, be gone with it…” Hayden finished, while the two of them left the apartment arm in arm. Today was definitely shaping out to be a great night for Hayden.

________________________________________________________________________

Tyler was just about to leave the house to head to Brothers when something caught his eye on the TV. His parents were avid news watchers and the entertainment section was currently playing on the TV.

“Justin Timberlake was spotted last night at a bar in Memphis with a mystery girl. Sources say she was definitely not Timberlake’s girlfriend, Hayden Charles, and that the pair were seen kissing all night before leaving together around bar time. Hmm…seems Mr. Timberlake’s going to have some explaining to do to Hayden, who is apparently home in Minneapolis for Graduation.” The news anchor said.

Tyler felt his anger rising…all of the secret phone calls Justin’s been making to him, all of his checking up on Hayden, Justin saying how much he missed her. It was all a lie. Tyler was definitely pissed and he needed an answer now. Grabbing his cell phone he made his way out to the car and started the drive downtown, not before making a much needed phone call to a certain pop star that was about to feel the wrath of an older brother.

“Hello?” Justin answered.

“Tell me what I’m hearing on the television is not true…” Tyler said into the phone.

Justin felt his stomach drop. If Tyler knew, he was certain it wouldn’t be long before Hayden knew.

“Tyler…I can explain.” Justin stammered.

“Fuck man…start explaining…” Tyler said making the turn to head downtown.

“It was a mistake…a drunken stupid mistake. I went out with Trace and I was missing Hayden…well some friends from a long time ago showed up…I’ve known that girl since I was little and she was hanging out with us...”

“Did you sleep with her?” Tyler asked.

“Does it matter?” Justin said trying to avoid the question.

“It does…yes or no…” Tyler persisted.

“Yeah…but it didn’t mean anything…I was stupid.”

“You’re damn right you’re stupid. Listen man, I really liked you…I liked what you brought out in Hayden. I was willing to help you out the best I could, that’s why I answered the calls from you. But I’ve seen something in Hayden this past week, she’s getting over everything, she’s learning to just be happy with herself and I’m not going to stand by and let you bring her down from that.”

“I still love her Tyler…you got to believe me, it was a mistake.” Justin said desperately, his last connection to Hayden was closing and he felt helpless. He made a stupid mistake and he was about to pay for that.

“If you loved her man, if you truly loved her…you would’ve called her on the most important day of her life, you would’ve made some kind of effort to fight for her and you certainly wouldn’t have gotten drunk only to end up sleeping with another girl. Hayden’s a very loyal person and she’s going to be hurt that so quickly after a break up, you’re out healing yourself through someone else. Hayden’s going to know about this and be damn sure I’ll be there to help her pick up the pieces because I know deep down she still loves you. Congrats man…you just crushed any chance of getting her back. Leave me alone and leave Hayden the hell alone.” Tyler said before hanging the phone up.

He was furious with Justin. He hated that he was so stupid and careless with his actions. Tyler really liked Justin and he was going to do whatever he could to get them back together. But not after that, Hayden was definitely going to be hurt when she found out. In Tyler’s eyes, Justin didn’t even deserve Hayden’s love anymore.
________________________________________________________________________

Upon arriving at Brother’s, Tyler took a second to get his emotions in check before heading inside. This was Hayden’s night and he was definitely not going to let Justin ruin it. He would talk to Hayden in the morning, right now he was ready to buy her a drink and let her have fun tonight.

“Tyler!!!!” Riley said running up to him and wrapping her arms around his neck.

“Hey Riles, how are you doing?” Tyler said returning the hug.

“I’m great…Hayden’s been looking for you. Come on, she’s over here.” Riley said grabbing his hand and dragging to where Hayden was sitting.

“Look who I found…” Riley said walking up towards Hayden.

“Hey Ty!” Hayden said, grabbing him a beer.

“Hey Hayden…” Tyler said taking a drink.

“Are you ok? You look upset?” Hayden asked.

“Nah…just got behind some slow driver down here.” Tyler lied. He couldn’t tell her right now…it just wasn’t the time.

The party continued on for hours all the way until bar time. Hayden and Riley got free drinks all night and they danced until they could barely walk. Her graduation night was definitely everything she’d hoped for…the only piece missing was Justin. She couldn’t help but miss him and she was bummed he didn’t even call to say congratulations.

Since the party was coming to an end Tyler helped Riley to a friend’s car before heading back inside to get Hayden. After searching the bar for a bit, he found Hayden sitting on a bar stool with her cell phone out, that could only mean she was definitely drunk dialing.

“Hayden who are you calling?” Tyler said walking up to her.

“Justin…I miss him Ty.” Hayden pouted.

“We need to talk about that…but we can do it tomorrow. You’ve been drinking and it’s late.” Tyler said closing her phone and helping her up from the stool.

Hayden pushed him away slightly and stood on her own. “I’m fine, I’m not drunk…what do you mean we need to talk about Justin?” Hayden’s interest was definitely peaked.

“Nothing…we’ll deal with it tomorrow.” Tyler said firmly.

“No…tell me, what’s going on?” Hayden asked.

Just then the TV in the bar decided to replay the story Tyler had previously caught earlier in the night. Justin’s face flashed across the screen and Hayden asked the bartender to turn it up. After listening to the report, Hayden felt her body go numb. Her heart ached and tears clouded her eyes. How could he do this to her? How could he make her look like a fool?

“Let’s go!!!” Hayden yelled before stomping out of the bar. Grabbing her cell phone she dialed his number, not carrying that it was nearing four in the morning there, she was ready to give him a tongue lashing, she was ready to let the pain in her heart out.

“Hello?” Justin said groggily into the phone.

“Good morning…are you alone? Or did you decide to take someone home with you tonight too?” Hayden said sarcastically into the phone. Everyone knew Hayden could be a real bitch when people hurt her and tonight was definitely not any different, not even Justin Timberlake was going to avoid her wrath.

“Hayden…let me explain…” Justin said, trying to wake up more.

“No…let me explain something. Breaking up with you was one of the hardest thing’s I’ve ever done. I gave you my heart a long time ago and just because we aren’t together doesn’t mean you still don’t have it. All day I spent waiting for at least a phone call from you to say congratulations, just something to let me know you were still thinking about me.” Hayden felt the tears start to fall from her eyes and she pushed them angrily out of the way.

“Hayden…I think about you all day, every day. I still love you and I’d give anything to change what happened.”

“You don’t still love me because if you did…you wouldn’t have slept with someone else. I haven’t even thought about anyone besides you. I couldn’t imagine going there with anyone, because I really do still love you. I don’t give my heart away that easily and it’s good to know that it didn’t matter to you.”

Justin felt his world crashing around him. “Hayden…I screwed up…I screwed up really bad.” Justin said defeated.

“You did…you screwed up any relationship with me and now I don’t even want a friendship with you. Bye Justin.” Hayden said before hanging up the phone and collapsing into Tyler’s arms.

Tyler was listening to the whole conversation. He was proud of his sister for sticking up for herself but at the same time he knew this was definitely going to shake the walls she’d built up around her.

“Come on Hayden…let’s go home.”

“How could he do that to me? How could he sleep with someone else? It hurts so bad Tyler…”

“I know Hayden…come on sis…” Tyler said scooping Hayden into his arms and carrying her to his car. Hayden’s sobs wracked her body and he could feel her heart breaking all over again. The ride home was filled with Hayden’s cries and he tried his best to rub her back and drive.

Once inside the house, he helped Hayden to her bedroom where she collapsed onto her bed. Her cries still shaking her entire body.

“Tyler…” Hayden said softly.

“Yeah?”

“My heart hurts…it’s like it’s been ripped out and stomped on. When we slept together it was special to me, it was the first time I’d given my heart away again and to know he just jumped into bed with someone else…it kills me.” Hayden whimpered.

“It’ll get better Hayden…I promise and if it doesn’t, I’ll hunt him down…” Tyler tried to lighten the mood a little and Hayden cracked a small smile.

“Thanks Tyler…” Hayden said before closing her eyes and drifting off to a restless sleep.

Tyler pulled the covers up over Hayden before giving her a kiss on the forehead and closing her door on his way out. His heart hurt for Hayden, this was definitely going to test her strength…silently he made a vow to be there for her whenever she needed from here on out.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin college