Author's Chapter Notes:
Almost done uploading all of them again...please please review!! :)
Chapter 15: A Break

“Hey Hayden…get up, come look at this!!!” Tyler yelled from the stairs.

It was Hayden’s last day in California before she would fly back to Minnesota. Therefore, she was busy packing all of her things upstairs when Tyler’s incessant yelling interrupted her.

“What…what’s going on?” Hayden said bounding down the stairs and into the living room.

“You need to see this…I was at the gas station before coming home…this is all over.” Tyler said handing Hayden the magazine.

Hayden’s eyes became huge after reading the headline, Justin Timberlake’s new girlfriend! Get the facts here about her life in Minnesota, why she’s with Justin, and her ex-boyfriend.

“What the hell is this?” Hayden said looking away from the magazine tears brimming her eyes.

“I don’t know Hayden…” Tyler said completely unsure as to what he could say to his sister to comfort her.

Hayden flipped through the magazine, there were several pictures of her getting out of her car, leaving Tyler’s and Justin’s house, and even several of her eating lunch with Tyler. Under each of the pictures were captions accusing her of cheating on Justin to be with Tyler. The writers conveniently manipulated everything; including leaving out that Tyler was Hayden’s brother. Yet, the most shocking picture was an old one of her and Josh together at a football game in High school. Seeing Josh in the magazine peaked Hayden’s interest. There for everyone to read about were stories about her relationship with Josh and even a detailed summary of the car accident that took his life. Hayden felt her chest constrict and the air rush out of her lungs. The magazine had uncovered every personal story, feeling, and memory Hayden had with Josh. It was too much for her to handle and the tears that were brimming her eyes were now falling faster and faster down her cheeks. Desperately needing to get away from the concerned eyes of Tyler, Hayden grabbed her keys and bolted out the door.
________________________________________________________________________
Knowing this was Hayden’s last day in California, Justin was busy running around picking up things to knock her off her feet tonight. All of the media attention had really strained his relationship with Hayden and tonight he was determined to show her how much he loved her. Tonight was supposed to be all about the two of them, without any interruptions.

Justin knew Hayden was spending the day packing everything and hanging out with her brother but he couldn’t resist stopping over there to see her quick. After turning his Mercedes around he made his way over to Tyler’s. After parking the car, Justin knocked on the door and Tyler opened it, visibly upset about something.

“Hey Justin…come in. Hayden’s not here though.” Tyler said opening the door further to let Justin in.

“Where’s Hayden?” Justin asked as he walked into the house.

“She ran out of here a little bit ago after reading this…” Tyler said tossing the magazine at him.

Justin scanned the magazine quickly and he felt his anger rise up through his body. There in the magazine were numerous pictures of Hayden all around California. “What the fuck?! I’m getting really tired of all this. Can’t they just back off?” Justin yelled.

“I wish they would man…” Tyler said.

“Where did Hayden go?” Justin asked, knowing he needed to find her fast.

“I don’t know…she read it, started crying and grabbed her keys. She needs to be alone right now Justin.” Tyler said putting a hand on Justin’s shoulder.

“I need to talk to her…I’ve got to straighten this stuff out…” Justin said looking at Tyler.

“I know my sister…she needs to be alone right now. The best thing you can do is give her some time to work this stuff out in her head.”

“I don’t know Tyler…things are just getting so out of control with the media. I know Hayden’s been putting up with a lot…I’m worried she’s going to decide it’s not worth it.” Justin said dejectedly.

“I know this is putting some tension on your relationship…but if you really love her, then you got to fight for her. Hayden has a tendency to back down when she gets scared…don’t let her. You’re the best thing that’s happened to her since she lost Josh. I haven’t seen my sister so happy in a long time.”

“Thanks Ty…please tell her to call me, if you talk to her.” Justin said walking back to the door.

“I will…oh hey man, I was going to ask you, are you coming back for Hayden’s graduation?”

“I don’t know…Hayden hasn’t asked me.” Justin said.

“Hmm…all right. Well I’ll tell Hayden to call you. Don’t worry…she just needs some time to herself.” Tyler said before closing the door behind Justin.

Justin’s heart hurt, knowing that Hayden was upset and there was nothing he could do. He tried to call her phone but she had turned it off. There was nothing he could do but wait to hear from her. Justin made his way back to his car and decided to head back home, in case Hayden showed up there.
________________________________________________________________________
The entire day had passed with no word from Hayden. Justin was officially freaking out over Hayden’s safety. After reading that article that exposed every personal story about her, he knew she was really upset and that’s what bothered him. He hated knowing she was upset and there was absolutely nothing he could do but wait. His career had always caused issues with the people he loved. Hayden made him happy and he wished the rest of the world could understand that and leave them alone. Suddenly, his phone began ringing, breaking Justin from his thoughts. Reading the caller id, his heart raced seeing Tyler calling; maybe he heard something from Hayden.

“Hey Tyler…” Justin answered.

“Hey Justin…have you heard anything from Hayden yet?” Tyler asked nervously.

“No, nothing…I keep trying her phone but it’s off.”

“Me too…I’m starting to worry…she’s never disappeared for this long without a phone call at least.” Tyler said.

“I’m worried about…” Justin was cut off by the sound of his front door opening and in walked Hayden.

“Tyler…Hayden just walked in the door…I’ll call you back.” Justin said before hanging up the phone.

“Hey sweetie…how are you doing?” Justin said softly while walking up to Hayden.

“I’ve been better…”

Justin cautiously wrapped his arms around Hayden pulling her close. “I’m sorry babe…I’m really sorry…” Justin cooed into her ear.

“I just don’t know what to do anymore…I can’t deal with this…” Hayden said before breaking down into a new set of tears.

Justin scooped her into his arms protectively and carried her to the couch. He felt his heart break at her defeated state. Hayden had been so strong through all of it. She tried to brush it off, she never fired back with anything and she certainly didn’t ask for any of what she was getting. Justin sat down on the couch and tried to pull Hayden closer to him but she tensed and pulled away.

“We’ve got to talk about some of this…I can’t just brush it off anymore.” Hayden said pulling her legs underneath her.

“I don’t want you to hold everything in anymore…you can talk to me about all of this…” Justin said reaching for Hayden’s hand.

“I know…it’s just today after reading that article about me, you, Tyler and Josh…it was the last straw to all of this. People are going to read that and think I’m cheating on you, that I’ve never gotten over my relationship with Josh and that ever since I came out to California I was only after your fame. You know how hard that is to read lie after lie and not be affected by it anymore.” Hayden said trying to hold back anymore tears; she needed to get this out.

“I know babe…but people are always going to talk…we just have to ignore it. I wish this wasn’t happening and I’d do anything to change it.”

“But the stories aren’t personal attacks about you and your character. I’ve never been in any situation like this before…I’m an extremely private person…it’s like the whole world knows when you and I go somewhere or we have a fight. It’s becoming too much for me to handle.” Hayden said trying to remain strong.

“I’m sorry Hayden…”

“I am too Justin…maybe a different time or place we could make this work between the two of us. But right now, I just don’t have the strength anymore…” Hayden said softly.
Her words hit Justin like a ton of bricks. He hadn’t considered the two of them being apart…he felt his heart breaking after each passing moment. “But I love you Hayden…I know you love me…we can make this work together…”

“I do love you, I love you so much Justin. You opened a part of me that I had closed off a long time ago and you’ll always have a special place in my heart because of that. But sometimes love isn’t enough. I’m not happy in this type of situation…”

Justin felt his heart being ripped out; she no longer wanted to be with him. His career had successfully come between the two of them. “Hayden don’t do this…we’ve come so far together…I don’t want to let you go…I love you…” Justin sputtered.

Hayden reached for his hand and intertwined their fingers. “I love you too…but right now I think its best that I go back to Minnesota alone and just get a break from all of this. Don’t think this doesn’t hurt me, because it’s killing me...”

“Then don’t do this…we can make it through…”

“No we can’t…I don’t have the strength or energy to put into it. I just need a break.” Hayden said.

Finally, Justin didn’t know what to say...this was it. The media had driven them apart and tomorrow morning she’d be thousands of miles away. “I’ll miss you Hayden…”

Hayden felt the tears start to fall down her eyes. “I’ll miss you too Justin. You’ve taught me a lot about myself.”

He felt empty inside…this wasn’t suppose to happen to them. “I love you…I really do.” Justin choked out.

Hayden stood up from the couch and enveloped Justin in a hug. “I love you too…you can always call me you know?” Hayden said before pulling away from Justin.

“I know…” Justin said following Hayden towards the door. “Have a great graduation next week…I’m proud of you.”

“Thank you. Well…this is it…” Hayden said lingering at the door.

“I guess it is. I love you Hayden.” Justin said kissing her softly on the lips.

“I love you too Justin.” Hayden said before walking out the door to her car.

Justin watched her retreating form before the tears started to cloud his vision. Closing the door, he went up to his room, sat down on his bed and cried into his hands. Everything within their relationship was perfect except for the media. He loved her and there was nothing he could do to stop the attention. He couldn’t protect her from them anymore. He felt so helpless, so defeated and so lost. His Hayden would be flying out of his life tomorrow morning for good and he couldn’t stop her. He had lost her.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin college