Author's Chapter Notes:
You know...I love reviews!! hehe :) :)
Chapter 14: The Media

It’s been almost two weeks since the VMA’s and those weeks have been hell for Hayden. Once the news broke about her relationship with Justin, she couldn’t escape the paparazzi. No longer is she able to just go out in public without someone taking a picture of her or asking her questions. It broke Justin’s heart to see the media attacking her; this wasn’t supposed to happen to them. She never once complained to him about all of the attention, instead she bottled all of her feelings inside. Hayden was starting to close off what they had worked so hard to open up and it was starting to strain their relationship.

The paparazzi had managed to infiltrate into her past, printing stories about her family, school and even her relationship with Josh. Hayden understood that being with Justin meant she’d sacrifice some privacy but it was as if nothing was off limits. That was what upset Hayden the most. The stories regarding her relationship with Josh were becoming too much for her to handle. Her relationship with Josh was one hundred percent private; it was a part of her life that never even involved Justin, so why do the media feel they can write about it. She knew getting involved with Justin had its downsides, but never did she imagine it would be this bad.

Today, Hayden was at home trying to relax. It was a cool day in California and Hayden was outside enjoying the time alone. The negative press had her so wound up that she just needed to be alone. She didn’t want to talk about it with Riley, Tyler, her parents and especially Justin. She just wanted to be alone, with her own thoughts. Grabbing the notebook she decided to write. She needed to get her feelings out and try and make sense of how much her life changed.

Sometimes I wish I could hide away
Looking for a place to getaway
Getaway from all the heartache and pain that life can bring
I really don't want to sound
Like I can't hold my ground
But everybody needs some time
That they can getaway

Sometimes I wish I was invisible
'Cause then no one will know
Where I am to ask me for anything
'Cause I've given so much of me
When is it a time for me to receive
'Cause I have my needs
Who's going to look out for me?

You know I'm not superwoman
And I'm not made of steel
I try my best to handle
All I have to deal with
It's not as easy as it seems
And to think this was my dream
Now for everything I have I'm grateful
But sometimes I want to get away…


Gradually, a tear escaped Hayden’s eyes, then another and another, and suddenly Hayden was sobbing, confusion engulfing her entire being. For the first time since being with Justin, Hayden was wishing to talk to Josh again. He understood her, he would be able to help her get over this, and he would make everything better. But that was impossible now. After crying tears of pity, anger, confusion and finally sadness, Hayden wiped the tears away and went back inside the house, grabbed her keys as she passed the island and continued out to her car.
________________________________________________________________________

Justin was tapping his pen on the desk trying to concentrate on what Johnny was saying something about his new tour starting in January, but the truth is his mind was with Hayden. He hated seeing her so upset and to know it was his career that was hurting her. The VMA’s had been a turning point in their relationship; he only wished it would’ve lasted longer. That night was beautiful, magical, and wonderful, it was perfect. Neither Hayden nor Justin anticipated the intense backlash the following day. It was always in the cards but the media was especially viscous with Hayden, probably because she was an easy target, she never once fought back. It broke his heart to know that being together was putting Hayden and everyone she held close into the public eye.

His cell phone vibrated in his pocket, pulling Justin from his daze. Needing some air, he excused himself from the room and went outside to take the call.

“Hey mom.” Justin said once he exited the building.

“Hey, how are you doing?”

“I’ve been better.” Justin said walking around the building.

“I know…but you guys will get through this. How’s Hayden handling everything?”

“Not well, they’re printing so much about her mom...it’s like they won’t ever let up. She’s trying to be strong but I know it’s really hurting her.”

“Well, this is definitely something she’s not used to…but it will get better.” Lynn said.

“I don’t know, I can tell she’s pulling away from me and it hurts. It’s like she’s trying to distance us because that’s the only way she can alleviate the pressure from the press.”

“Well don’t let her pull away. Justin, you’ve got to show her that you’re willing to be there even when times are tough. It’s easy to be with someone when everything’s great but being able to get through a rough time shows a lot about your relationship.”

“Thanks mom…how’s everything back home?”

“Same as usual, everyone’s well…we all miss you.”

“I miss you guys too…I’m planning on coming home before the tour starts for a couple weeks.”

“That’d be great…are you going to bring Hayden with?” Lynn asked.

“I don’t know yet…she has graduation in Minnesota on the seventeenth and then I’m sure she wants to be home for Christmas. I’ll ask her about it though.”

“Sounds good. But I’ve got to get going. I’ll talk to you soon. Hang in there. Love you.” Lynn said before hanging up the phone.

“Love you too.” Justin said as he closed his phone.

Before heading back in the building Justin decided to call Hayden quick. He knew she wanted to be alone today but he just couldn’t stop himself. However, the call immediately went to her voicemail. Sighing, Justin decided to head back inside and focus his attention on the upcoming tour maybe that would help clear his head.
_______________________________________________________________________

Hayden had just arrived at Tyler’s police station; luckily she managed to lose the camera man following her as soon as she left their house. She heard her phone ringing and silenced it right away when she saw that it was Justin calling. She just wasn’t in the mood to talk to him right now.

“Hey there…is Tyler Charles in?” Hayden asked one of the policemen walking by.

“Yeah…let me go get him. Just have a seat here.” Hayden did as she was told and sat down patiently waiting for Tyler.

“Hey Hayden…what are you doing here? Is everything ok?” Tyler said when he walked into the room.

“Yeah I’m fine…just needed to get out. Want to go get some lunch?”

“Sure…let me go tell the guys.” Tyler said before disappearing behind the doors. It wasn’t even a minute before he was back and they were walking out to his car.

“Well what do you have in mind for lunch?” Tyler asked once they got inside the car.

“Let’s head over to that café, Rosie’s, which I took you to before.”

“Sounds good.” Tyler said before pulling out into traffic and making the short trek to the café.
Once they were inside the café Hayden felt herself relax for the first time that day. Being with Tyler was comforting; it was her sense of home that she was longing for.

“So I can tell you’re pretty upset…talk to me Hayden…what’s going on?” Tyler asked.

“I don’t know Ty…I really don’t know.” Hayden said sounding so defeated.

“Well…you knew this was a part of Justin’s life and you’d have to deal with it. How’s Justin handling it all?” Tyler said as the waitress handed them their drinks.

“He’s trying to comfort me but it’s almost like it’s not enough. Don’t get me wrong…I love him with everything I have, but is the relationship really worth giving up all my privacy and even sacrificing those I love for it too.”

“Only you can answer that question Hayden…I talked to mom today.”

“Oh yeah, what’d she say?”

“She’s worried about you; you’re not taking her calls.”

“I know…I just don’t know what to say to mom and dad about it.”

“Be honest with them…this is a really hard thing you’re going through Hayden…talk to them. It will make you feel better I promise.”

“Yeah…” Hayden sighed.

“Let’s not talk about all of that crap…how’s your project? Are you excited for graduation next week?”

“My project’s great…I’m done with it and I can’t wait to go back to Minnesota for graduation. Riley and I are having a graduation party at Brother’s. We rented the place out and invited all of our friends. Did you ask your boss if you can come back with me?”

“Yeah I did…he’s letting me have the weekend off…so I’ll be there.”

“That’s great…I’m looking forward to getting out of here and just be normal, college student Hayden. Not the Hayden Charles that is banging Justin Timberlake.”

“So you’ve banged him huh?” Tyler asked amused by Hayden’s slip.

“I…uhh…hmm...yeah…we did.” Hayden blushed.

“About damn time!” Tyler laughed.

Her lunch with Tyler was exactly what Hayden needed to help get her mind off the madness that was enveloping her life. She only had a week left out in California and it was bittersweet for her. She didn’t want to be separated from Justin but for her own sanity maybe it’d be best for them to be apart for awhile. After dropping Tyler back off at work, Hayden decided to head over to Justin’s place. She figured he’d be done with all of his meetings with Johnny and they could be alone for awhile.

Hayden pulled into his driveway and parked behind his Mercedes. She was about to head up to the door but she heard the faint sound of a basketball dribbling out back. That could only mean one thing…he was upset or thinking about something. Making her way through the gates she saw him dripping with sweat and in deep concentration.

Before Justin could turn to shoot another three-pointer, he saw Hayden appear from the gates. Dropping the ball immediately, he ran up to her and scooped her into his arms. Having her close to him, he felt his mind and body relax.

“It’s good to see you too.” Hayden said into his chest.

“I missed you…I haven’t stopped thinking about you all day.”

“Me either…I just needed some time to be alone and get my head in the right spot.” Hayden said pulling away from him.

“Let’s go inside…do you want anything to eat or drink?” Justin asked opening the screen door for her.

“No, I just got back from eating with Tyler.”

“Oh yeah, how’s Tyler?”

“He’s good.” Hayden said sitting down on Justin’s oversized chair in the living room.

Justin slid in next to her and pulled her onto his lap. “Hayden…I never meant for any of this to happen to us. I feel terrible that my career is causing all of these problems.”

“Justin…it’s not your fault that the media is going overboard with me. I wanted to be with you, I chose to make it public. I just didn’t expect everything to be so negative about me. People I don’t even know think they can ask me personal questions and that’s just hard to handle.” Hayden said snuggling into his neck.

“I know baby…I know…I wish I could make it stop…I don’t want to lose you.” Justin said wrapping his arms around her protectively.

Finally, Hayden felt content again being in his arms until…“Justin??” Hayden said lifting her head up from his shoulder.

“Yeah?”

“You stink…you need a shower badly.” Hayden said trying to get up off of him. Justin held Hayden firmly in place and started to wipe his forehead on her arm. “That’s disgusting…Justin Randall…seriously get your ass in the shower.”

“Oh baby…I love it when you talk dirty.” Justin said playfully.

“Get away from me.” Hayden said shoving him off of her.

“All right…I’ll stop but only if you join me.” Justin said grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the bathroom.

Hayden didn’t need much convincing to join him in the shower. Being alone with him whether romantically or just goofing around just felt right to her. The world stopped when they were together and she could forget about everything else.

Hayden was awoken from her thoughts by Justin’s lips on her neck. He was nibbling on her and slowly making his way up to her lips. Once his lips crashed upon hers, it was all the coercing she needed before helping him shed his sweaty clothing. She wanted him, she wanted every part of him right then, and she needed to feel like he was a part of her.

“I love you Justin…” Hayden said in between kisses.

“I love you too Hayden…god, I love you.” Justin said pulling her into the shower and closing the door. He loved Hayden with everything inside of him and he just hoped the media would back off for the sake of their relationship. He didn’t want to lose Hayden but if it didn’t stop, he was afraid it might be a strong possibility.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin college