Author's Chapter Notes:

FYI: In the last chapter I mentioned the song JC wrote/produced for Matt. It was titled "Dancing in the Rain", but I found out it is now titled "Don't Stop Dancing".

Also, I had an idea of what this chapter was suppose to be like, but it spun a little out of control. Please don't hurt me too much. Haha.

The drive up the hill to JC’s house felt like forever as scenarios ran through my mind. I didn’t know what he meant by his text and I didn’t know what shape I’d find him in either. I hoped he wasn’t in trouble, hurt, or being overly dramatic. I hoped he was being serious and really needed me. I didn’t want his text to be a joke. If anything…I wanted him to need me as much as I needed him. Though I knew that was a longshot. Yet, a girl could dream.

As I finally pulled up to JC’s house, I noticed that it was lit up and there were lights turned on inside the house. It was apparent he was home and hadn’t gone anywhere. His black Mercedes was parked outside as well and I didn’t see any other cars. So I knew he was home alone and probably just waiting on me to show up. I parked my car alongside his Mercedes and then slowly got out. I took a deep breath as I walked along the pathway that led to his front door. I was a little nervous, to say the least.

I pressed the door bell, once I stood in front of the door and waited for JC to appear. A moment later, the door big wooden door swung open and then the screen door followed. JC held the screen door open and I watched his face go from a huge smile to slightly confused.

“Everly?” His voice came out soft and unsure.

“Hey, JC.” I greeted him, hoping everything was okay.

“What are you doing here?” His question threw me off.

“Well…you sent me a text saying that you needed me.” He processed my words and then began to curse.

“Shit…shit. Fuck, I’m sorry.” I looked at him totally confused.

“Sorry for what?”

“I didn’t mean to text you that.” I felt my heart drop at that moment.

“Ohhh…”

“Yeah, sorry about that. I texted you by mistake.”

“So…it was meant for someone else?” JC slowly nodded his head and I could tell he was embarrassed. Embarrassment wasn’t as bad as the stupidity I felt then.

“I must’ve chosen the wrong name in my contacts and not realized it before I hit ‘send‘.”

“Oh okay.” I managed to softly get out. “Mistakes happen. It’s no big deal. I guess, I’ll just leave you be then.”

I started to turn around, but felt JC grab my arm. He made me face him again and then he motioned for me to come inside the house.

“Don’t go…just yet.” He insisted and held the screen door open, waiting for me to step inside. “I’m sorry about what I did, but you might as well come in and hang a little while.”

After the date I had with Matthew and this miscommunication with JC, I felt like going home and digesting everything, but I saw the look in JC’s eyes that he would feel better if I didn’t leave. So I decided to stay.

I stepped into his house and then he closed both doors behind me. I noticed that the TV was on in his living room and that there were Chinese takeout containers sitting on the coffee table. There were also two wine glasses and one was completely empty, as if it hadn’t been used. The other was half full. I assumed then that JC had been drinking the wine and it was possibly the reason for his mistaken text.

“You hungry?” He asked as he took a seat upon his couch.

“No. I just ate dinner with Matthew. Remember?” I heard him chuckle then, as I took a seat beside him.

“Oh yeahhh….that’s right. So how did the date go?” I watched JC open a container of food and then he happily started shoveling fried rice into his mouth. I debated telling him how the date went, but I didn’t want to just sit in silence.

“It went well. It wasn’t bad at all for a first date.” JC nodded.

“Good conversation?”

“Yeah, there wasn’t really any awkward silence.” I looked at JC, as he continued swallowing food down and somehow he still looked sexy. He still looked just as good as when I’d seen him earlier, wearing the same green t-shirt and skinny black jeans. It was almost conflicting to feel such an attraction for him, as new feelings began to develop for Matt.

“That’s good. Steady conversation is always a plus.” I nodded my head and watched JC grab the half full glass of wine and sip more of the red liquid down.

“Yeah, it was a good time. In fact, Matt and I are planning to go on a second date.” JC licked residue from the wine off of his lips and then grinned.

“That’s awesome, Ev. So did he kiss you?” I wasn’t expecting him to ask me such a question, seeing as JC didn’t like to kiss and tell himself, but I chalked it up to the red wine he was consuming.

“Yeah, he did. It was short and sweet.” I admitted and watched as JC still continued to smile.

“Looks like the matchmaker knows what he’s doing then.” I couldn’t help, but to chuckle slightly at that remark.

“Something like that.”

JC finished off the glass of wine and then he opened another container of food. This time it was orange chicken and he dove right in.

“You can get the bottle of wine off the kitchen counter and bring it here.” He managed to instruct after swallowing a piece of the chicken.

I stood up from the couch then and walked into the kitchen. I found the bottle of wine upon the kitchen counter and saw that it was half empty. I also noticed there was a broken wine glass in the sink, as well as a single rose laying upon the counter. I also spotted a box of chocolates in a heart-shaped box. It seemed like the remnants of a romantic evening, but I knew that he hadn’t had anyone over. It really became apparent that whomever he had tried to text was someone of romantic interest to him. The thought made me sick then and I was surprised JC even bothered to tell me to stay.

I sighed grabbing the bottle of wine and mustering up a smile, as I rejoined JC in the living room. He had set aside the Chinese food and was wiping his mouth with a napkin. He smiled, seeing that I returned with the wine.

“Red wine is so good.” He said, as he lifted his empty glass.

“How much have you had?” I asked, fearing he’d consumed the half of the bottle by himself.

“I don’t know. I popped the cork like an hour ago or so and have been drinking since.” I shook my head.

“You’ve had half a bottle and apparently you’re working on the whole bottle.” He tossed me a look like ‘whatever, it’s cool, honey’.

He took the bottle of wine out of my hand and then poured himself another glass. “You might truly need me if you keep this up, Mister.”

“Join in the fun. Have a glass.” He bobbed his head and then sipped down more of the wine.

I decided I could have one glass. Just one glass was all. I didn’t want a one way ticket to Tipsyland. I knew JC was just a moment away from arriving there. I took the empty wine glass that was sitting on the coffee table and then I filled it up.
I brought the glass to my lips and then tasted the wine as it hit my taste buds. I slowly swallowed it down and savored it.

“I saw you broke a glass, when I went into the kitchen.” I said a moment later.

“Oh yeah. I dropped it on accident.” I nodded my head.

“Why have you been drinking a lot of wine tonight, anyways?” He bit down on his lip and started running his hand over his face.

“Uhh…well…you see….I was suppose to be entertaining a lady friend….” I brought my hand to his mouth and covered it. I wanted to put him out of his misery, knowing he didn’t want to exactly explain it all. Nor did I want to hear it all.

“I can kind of piece it together. No need to continue.” I removed my hand from his mouth and then heard a sigh escape from him.

“I’m sorry, but you’re a lady friend and I can entertain you instead.” I shook my head, seeing this progressively getting worse.

“I think I should probably just go and you should lay off the wine now. You can correctly text whoever your mystery lady friend is and tell her you still need her.”

I heard JC sigh. “Everly….”

“JC, you could’ve been honest from the get go. It’s obvious to me now that you were going to have a romantic date at home. I noticed the rose and chocolates in the kitchen as well. You could’ve told me to go home, so you could carry on your evening the way it was suppose to go.”

“I was honest…I told you I texted you by mistake.”

“Yeah, but you certainly didn’t have to cancel your plans and invite me in.” I gave him attitude then, though I rarely did. Even though I loved him, I didn’t want to be in the way of happiness he was finding with someone else.

He picked up the remote for the TV then and he turned it off. Then he put the food containers in the brown bag they came in and he stood up from the couch.

“I decided to invite you in. I changed my mind about the night. Okay?” He shot me a look and then he walked slowly toward the kitchen. I was just glad he could walk on his own after all the wine he’d consumed. “I’m putting leftovers in the fridge.”

I nodded and decided to wait on the couch for his return. The thought of just leaving before he came back crossed my mind, but I didn’t want to leave him confused or upset.

A moment later, I watched JC stroll back into the living room and he clapped his hands together.

“Well…I’m getting a little tired.” I watched him yawn then and I figured his body was relaxing from the wine.

“So you want me to go? I’ll let you get into bed early.” I said and realized I hadn’t finished my glass of wine. I eyed the glass, debating whether I should finish it off.

JC practically read my mind. “No, you can stay. Why don’t you come upstairs with me? You have to finish off your wine first though.”

I wasn’t sure what going upstairs with him would entail and why he wasn’t kicking me out yet. The evening continued to get more and more interesting. I decided to finish off my glass of wine, figuring it was the least I could do since I hadn’t nearly drank as much as JC. Plus, I was curious about upstairs.

“Good girl.” JC said, watching me set the empty glass down on the coffee table.

I just nodded and then JC stepped beside me and reached for my hand. His larger hand covered my smaller one and to me it felt just right. Though I knew he had a tendency to hold hands with a lot of girls and for it to mean nothing. So I pretended to not feel the jolt I felt with his hand in mine. He tugged me toward the stairs and led me up the staircase to his bedroom then.

I had been in his bedroom a few times, but never with him leading me in and being a little out of his mind. I took in the sight of his room as we stepped into it and my heartbeat picked up. His room was simple, but modern. His bed was made and had a masculine blue comforter upon it. His nightstand was filled with stuff, including a notebook, pens, his wallet, a novel, and a bottle of water. He had a few clothes on the floor, but nothing that couldn’t easily be picked up. He also had a TV across from his bed, as well as a stereo system hooked up. I noticed some shoes neatly lined up by his dresser as well and on top of the dresser was a collection of cologne. He also had a couple pictures of his family hanging in frames on one wall, as well as an abstract painting hung opposite. There was just something about seeing little pieces of his life and feeling the normalcy of his room, that drew me in even more. Plus, I loved that his bedroom, and his whole house for that matter, weren’t decorated over the top. I felt like a normal guy slept in his bedroom and that a normal guy lived in the house. Even if some things had cost him a lot to have, he wasn’t about flaunting it. I could only imagine what it would be like to wake up every day in this bedroom with him. I could only imagine what it would feel like for this to be ‘our’ bedroom.

“Everly.” JC called out and let go of my hand. “I’m going to quickly do my duty in the bathroom, but you can lay on the bed.”

I hesitated for a second and then nodded. “Alright.”

I watched JC step into the adjoining bathroom of his master bedroom and he shut the door. I could hear him fumble around with the toilet seat then, as he lifted it up to do his duty as he said.

I shook my head and didn’t even know why I was still at his house or how I got into this situation, but I flopped my body onto his bed and then lay upon my back. I hadn’t ever laid on his bed before and now I was happy too. It was so spacious and comfortable. It was definitely too big for just a skinny man to sleep in. Even with a another body in it, it would still be more than enough space. I let out a deep sigh and relaxed against the mattress and moved my head upon a pillow.

I heard water running a moment later as JC turned on the sink. When the water stopped running, I turned my head toward the doorway of the bathroom and watched JC emerge.

“You know you can get under the covers.” JC smirked and shook his head.

“I didn’t know….”

“Come on, stand up for a second.” I did as he asked and once I was off the bed, JC pulled the comforter down and peeled the sheets down as well.

“Alright, now you can get comfy.” I didn’t know what he was thinking in his head, but went along with it.

I slid back onto his bed and then got under the sheets. JC joined me under the sheets a second later and he let out a soft moan.

“Mmmm…it feels good to lay down.” He turned on his side and looked at me.

“Yeah, you have a very comfortable bed.” He grinned.

“It’s a secret weapon. Ladies don’t want to leave it, once they get in.” I shook my head at him and then laughed.

“Shut up!” He laughed too and it quickly turned into a giggle.

“I think you had too much wine tonight.” I felt the distance between us diminish then as he scooted toward the middle and came closer to me.

“Maybe…maybe not.” He smirked.

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t even kid yourself.”

He scooted even closer and closed any space that existed between us. His arm then went around my waist and he pulled me against him. I was caught off guard and looked at him in surprise then.

“What are you doing?” His lips pursed into a smile.

“Cuddling.”

“Why?” He giggled.

“I just need a good cuddle and you’re a warm body.”

“Are you alright?” I tossed him a confused look.

He let out another giggle. “Yeah, why wouldn’t I be? I’ve got my best Evers with me and I’m feeling so dandy from all the red wine.”

I knew then that the alcohol in is system was making him carefree and on the affectionate side then. That would explain why he wanted to cuddle.

“You’re just being odd.” He ignored my comment and then squeezed me tightly against him, putting his head against my shoulder.

“Whatever.” He mumbled and I reached my hand out then, running it gently through his hair. I had dreamed of a moment like this forever, where I could lay in his bed with him and cuddle. Where I could feel his body against mine and pet his hair. This moment right now was a lot to take in and the worse part of it all was that he didn’t really mean his actions. At least I didn’t think he meant to be this affectionate.

“So you said you kissed Matt….” JC spoke up, after a lull of silence.

“Yes…”

“And you said it was a good kiss..”

“Yes…”

“Did you feel spark?”

“It wasn’t a long enough kiss, but there’s potential for a spark.” I watched JC lift his head off my shoulder then and he looked at me.

“I hope there’s a spark. It would be great if you two could have a real relationship.” I gave him a small smile.

“I know…we’ll see.” He nodded his head.

“But I just want you happy, Everly. I don’t want someone else breaking your heart like Trevor.”

I reached out and touched his cheek, giving it a soft caress. My fingers felt a prickle from the scruff upon his face. “I know..I know. Don’t worry. I’ll find someone.”

He grabbed my hand then and he held it. “You’re such a good friend. One of the best friends I have.”

I shook my head at him. “And you’re nuts right now.”

“Everly!” He pouted and his bottom lip stuck out. “I am not nuts. I’m just feeling free and happy. I’m glad you’re here.”

Somehow the man in front of me had gone from an adult to a little boy. He was acting like a kid and being needy. I’d seen him tipsy before, but never acting so touchy feely and with his head in the clouds.

“You just need some sleep.”

He shook his head. “Not yet. Nope.”

I felt him slide his arm around me again and he nuzzled his face into my neck. I sighed softly and tried to enjoy it, even though this was just a cruel game.

“Mmm…you smell good. Did you wear perfume for Matt?”

“It’s not perfume. It’s the body wash I use. It’s mango-scented.” I heard him sniff hard and inhale more of the scent.

“Damn…I feel like I’m in tropical paradise. I would take a bite of your neck right now if it were a mango.” I chuckled.

“Case in point. You’re nuts.”

“What about my nuts?” I hit his shoulder then playfully.

“Not your nuts. You are nuts.” I explained and he understood it that time.

He laughed though. “My bad. I was wondering why you were talking about my nuts.”

“This is why you shouldn’t have had more than a glass or two of the wine.” I felt his eyes upon me then as he looked up. His blue crystalline orbs stared into my green gems. I could swim in his eyes and happily drown in them. I’d never seen a more beautiful pair.

“What about your lips? Are they mango?” I shook my head.

“Nope and why are you asking?” He reached his hand out and then traced his thumb along my bottom lip. I felt a shock then and my heart started to race. I wasn’t sure what was going on now.

“I’m just curious. Most girls smell good and taste good. You have to cater to all the senses.” I laughed then.

“You’re still nuts.” He traced his finger over my bottom lip once more.

“You wearing lip gloss?” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, why?” He grinned.

“What flavor?”

“Cherry.” He giggled.

“I love cherry. You must’ve taken advice from Katy Perry.”

“She sang about chap stick, not lip gloss.” He rolled his eyes.

“Same difference.” I was becoming more amused by him each minute.

“So, can I taste it?” My eyes went wide then and his question surprised me. I thought for sure he was joking.

“Huh?”

“Can I taste your lip gloss?” I shook my head, not even wanting to set myself up for a sticky situation.

“Aww, man. Why not, honey?” His features appeared disappointed and his voice had a hint of sadness inflected in it.

“Because you’re nuts. You’ve had too much wine and friends don’t just kiss friends.”

He whimpered. “I just wanted a taste of cherry.”

“Why don’t you tell the girl who you meant to invite here tonight to wear cherry lip gloss when you see her next.”

After I said the words, my heart began to ache a little and it hit me that Lila’s suspicions and my own, had validation to them now. JC was definitely trying to hook up with someone, if they hadn’t already become exclusive. I couldn’t believe I even stayed after finding out I wasn’t the one he meant to text, yet there was just something about him that was so magnetic. I loved him and it was hard to say no to him, even when he was acting weird. It was hard to just walk away, when he was the one I wanted to always be with.

“Well that’s a possibility….but..”

“But what?” I dared him to answer.

“I want cherry now.” He pouted again and I don’t know how it was possible for a man of his age to get away with it. He was darn adorable.

Before I could even turn him down again, I felt his hands move to my hips and then his breath upon my face. He closed the space between us and made sure there was no longer a gap between our faces. He dropped his head down and he pressed his luscious lips against mine. I jerked in surprise, but quickly relaxed, feeling his lips savor the flavor of my lip gloss. I had imagined the feeling of his lips against mine for so long and to feel them now was amazing. Yet, the kiss had been just for a taste of cherry, not because he loved me and wanted me. It was not how I imagined first kissing JC and I knew I was in trouble. I wouldn’t be able to admire his perfectly shaped lips ever again, without this moment engrained in my head.

“Mmm…cherry is delicious.” JC said, pulling back and licking his lips. I licked my own, not believing we’d just shared a kiss.

“I bet Matt enjoyed the cherry as well.” He added.

I just simply nodded my head. I didn’t know what to say and I didn’t want to get into it with JC right now. He was tipsy and lovey dovey, while I was a lot more alert and aware of what I was doing, saying, and feeling.

“I really should go now. You can cuddle with your collection of pillows. I bet you probably still have some stuffed animals from fans too. You can grab one of those. I just can’t stay any longer…”

He frowned and then he slowly sat up. “Well..alright. Let me walk you to the door.”

I shook my head. “It’s really not necessary.”

“Just let me walk you to the door.” He repeated.

I stood up from his bed then and I followed JC down the stairs, relieved he didn’t tumble down them. Once we reached the end of the staircase, he put his arm around me and led me toward the front door. Then he pulled me into a hug and pecked my cheek.

“I’m sorry about this whole evening and the misfired text. I might not even remember all of it. Maybe I was a little nuts. Just don’t hate me too much.” He gave me a sheepish smile.

I hugged him in return and then ruffled his hair gently. “It’s alright….you know I could never stop loving you.”

If only he knew how much I actually meant those words and that they weren’t just some platonic phrase.

I pulled away from him and he reached for the door knob. He opened the door and then he also opened the screen door. It was then that I noticed headlights beaming in our direction, reflecting in the night.

“Someone’s out there.” I told him, hearing an engine turn off and a car door open.

“Ohhhh…I’m not sure who it could be. A surprise visitor, I guess.” I just nodded my head and sighed.

“I’ll see you later. Bye, JC.” He waved at me, as I stepped out the door.

“Later, Everly.” I walked the pathway down to where my car was parked and as I did, I crossed paths with whomever was showing up for a late night visit. I caught a whiff of a woman’s perfume and I noticed long hair, otherwise I didn’t gather anymore description of the woman. It had to be a woman.

As I unlocked my car then, I heard JC’s voice and he was loud enough that I could hear his words. “Oh, that was Everly. Just a friend who came by for a little bit. I meant to text you earlier, but I didn’t get the chance. It’s really nice to see you, sweetheart. Come on in…”

I watched as the woman stepped into JC’s house and he closed the door behind them. She had to have been the one he’d meant to text all along. I didn’t know who she was or anything about her. I didn’t even really care either. All I knew was that now I was going home with the memory of JC’s lips upon mine and I didn’t know if I’d be able to erase it.

What hurt the most is that he probably would go on with his life as normal and not even have a second thought about our kiss. He was obviously too busy with ‘sweetheart’. Plus, he wanted me to be happy with Matt.

Could I be happy with Matt? Could I forget about this ridiculous kiss? Could I focus my feelings elsewhere and get over JC? Could I even look at him the same way?

Ultimately, I just wanted everything to work out how it was suppose to. Yet, how was everything suppose to turn out? That was the darn question that I needed answered.

I finally buckled up and turned my car on. I pulled away from his house and I turned on the radio. I needed music to calm me down and settled onto a contemporary station that featured a lot of indie artists. I heard the intro of a song come on and ironically enough the song fit what I was feeling. The lyrics pierced through my heart, as well as the sounds of guitar.

Hey
What did you think I'd say
You're everything that I ever wanted
And this kind of thing doesn't just come around
Every time you go looking for it


I don't wanna be just friends
No
I'll never fake it or pretend
And I don't want another girl 'cause you're the only one I love


I don't wanna be just friends
That's something I can't understand
I don't wanna be just friends
Not now
No
Not ever
Those two words are bullets in my chest
Just friends


Hey
What did you think I'd do
It felt so good waking up beside you
And the way you kiss
So delicate
Doesn't come around and I'm always gonna miss it
I don't wanna be just friends

No
I'll never fake it or pretend
And I don't want another girl 'cause you're the only one I love

I don't wanna be just friends
That's something I can't understand
I don't wanna be just friends
Not now
No
Not ever
Those two words are bullets in my chest
Just friends

Those two words are bullets in my chest
And it's never gonna be the same again my love
It's never gonna be the same again

Be just friends
Just friends
Just friends


Don't wanna be just friends
Just friends
Just friends

Don't wanna be just friends
(No)
(Don't wanna be the same again)
Just friends
Just friends


I don't wanna be just friends
Ooh
Ooh

I don't wanna be just friends
Nah
Nah


I don't wanna be just friends
Nah
Nah

Those two words are bullets in my chest
Just friends


Bullets in my chest
Bullets in my chest
Just friends


The song ended and I had tears rolling down my cheeks. I truly felt like a bullet had gone through my chest.


Chapter End Notes:
The song featured at the end is "Just Friends" by Jason Reeves. I highly recommend listening to it. :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc producerjc