Author's Chapter Notes:
The beginning of this one took me awhile to get past, but I got over the hump and think the chapter ended on a better note.

 

The next night I found myself partaking in Wednesday night pilates again. Lila met up with me, of course, seeing as she’s the one that’s more gung ho about working out. We conversed while we twisted and bended our bodies in all different ways. The instructor even called us out and told us to take our mouths elsewhere, if we didn’t stop talking. So when class was finally over, Lila and I were both glad to be able to talk as we pleased, even if our muscles were starting to ache.

I listened to Lila talk about Marco’s return and the amazing dinner they had with his mother, while we walked through the gym to the exit. She never was afraid to express how happy she was in the relationship and how well Marco treated her. Plus, she was relieved that she had gotten the seal of approval from his mother. I could see just how much she cared for her boyfriend and how devoted to her relationship she was. I was almost jealous I didn’t have a man to ramble on about.

Once we stepped outside, we walked over to our cars that were parked next to each other in the parking lot. Lila was still talking, but had moved on to a story of another celebrity sighting she’d had. I knew how much she enjoyed seeing “famous” people and bumping into them at Subway. Sometimes she even tweeted about. It was a good thing I didn’t have a twitter account or I’d look like a creeper for JC. That was the last thing I wanted.

I unlocked my car and slid my exercise mat into the backseat, before turning to look back at Lila. She had put her mat away in her car as well and sipped the remainder of the water in her sports bottle.

“So then I guess I’ll talk to you later? See you later?” I said, smiling at her.

She nodded her head and then looked at her watch. “Actually, what time do you work tomorrow?”

“I don’t have to be in until 10 AM.” I watched the wheels in her head turn.

“Why don’t we continue some girl talk elsewhere, unless you have stuff to do before going to bed?”

“Actually, I was…” I stopped myself. “Well, okay. I don’t really have to prepare anything for work and I still got some time until I should hit the hay.”

Lila smiled. “Awesome, because I wasn’t finished with you yet, missy.”

I chuckled, not sure what she meant by that and became a little worried about what she might still have to talk about.

“Why don’t we just go to one of our places’?” I suggested, knowing that going to Starbucks or a restaurant would not be the best idea after doing pilates. Plus I didn’t want to be up all night with a caffeine buzz.

“Yours or mine?” Lila asked, as she leaned against her car.

“Mmm…mine’s fine.” I knew my place was clean and it had been a little while since Lila had stepped foot inside my apartment.

She nodded her head and gave me a thumbs up. “Sounds good, Everly. I’ll meet you at your place then.”



When we both arrived at my apartment building, I led Lila up to my humble apartment and unlocked it. I swung the door open and found it just as I had left it. I closed the behind Lila, after she followed me inside. I motioned for her to take a seat on my couch.

“Go, sit down.” I stepped into my kitchen, opening the fridge. “You need more water or any kind of snack?”

She shook her head and settled onto the couch. “I’m good, but thanks anyways.”

I grabbed a bottle of water for myself and then made my way around the couch, taking a seat beside Lila.

“Your apartment is so cute compared to mine. I love all the picture frames with personal photos.” Lila piped up. “I know I’ve been here multiple times, but it’s just homey and decorated so well.”

I smiled. “Thanks.”

“Mine’s so modern and not as homey. Part of that’s Marco’s doing with his abstract art though.”

I nodded my head. “At least you have a man making you art.”

She chuckled. “I guess that’s one way to look at it. Speaking of men…”

“What?” I asked, uncapping my water, before taking a swig of it.

“What I really, really wanted to tell you is that I might have someone to set you up with.”

“Huh?” I looked at her confused.

Lila had a wide grin upon her face. “You heard me. I think I’ve got someone to set you up with. At dinner with Marco’s mom, we started talking about his extended family and I found out that Marco has a cousin who’s single and ready to mingle. I saw a picture of him and he’s not bad looking. Maybe a second-rate Marco.”

I shook my head, listening to her and it just didn’t sound good to me. I didn’t want to get involved with anyone from Marco’s family, nor did I want a second-rate version of her boyfriend.

“Thanks, but no thanks.” I drank more of my water and sighed.

“But come on, Everly! It’s time to find you someone.” I then debated whether I should tell her or not, but decided I should, so she’d let me off the hook a little.

“Well….actually…JC is trying to play matchmaker. He kind of already got me a date with someone.” Lila’s eyes went wide.

“Tell me more!”

I bit on my lip, before continuing. “I have a date with Matthew Morrison on Friday. We were suppose to go out already, but had to reschedule.”

“Oh damn…that’s right.” She shook her head. “JC has been working with him on music. I just can’t believe he’s setting you two up.”

I tossed my hands in the air. “Well I guess Matt is single too and asked if JC had someone to hook him up with. So I was the suggested date.”

Lila grinned. “Well that’s awesome, girl. I mean…Matthew Morrison isn’t all that bad looking. Plus, he seems like he could be a real nice guy.”

I nodded. “Yeah. So we’ll see how it goes.”

Lila gave me a hopeful look. “Just relax and have fun. You never know. Anything’s possible when it comes to love.”

“Thanks, Lila. I’ll keep that in mind.”

I heard a beeping sound then and watched as Lila reached for her phone. She looked at me and held it up, before opening it. “Text message.”

“Anything good?” She chuckled then.

“It’s JC. He’s just letting me know he found a book that I might like to read.” I laughed then.

“He’s so random.” Lila nodded her head.

“Yeah, he certainly can be.” I set my bottle of water down on my coffee table then and against my better judgment, posed a question at Lila.

“Have you noticed anything different or odd in JC’s behavior lately?”

“You mean like him going to the gym a lot more often now and backing out of plans or rescheduling?” I nodded.

“The going to the gym a lot part.”

“Well he’s backed out of some plans in the past month or so too. I don’t think his reasoning was work-related either.” I gave her a curious look then.

“Oh really? So what do you make of it?” Lila smirked.

“I think he’s seeing someone. He just seems a lot more upbeat and in a better mood. I bet he’s been working out to impress her. Maybe they even met at the gym.”

“And been ditching plans for her?”

Lila nodded. “Yeah, I think that could be the case.”

I didn’t like to think of JC dating anyone, even if I was having my own suspicions. To hear Lila validate my fears, stung a little. Well it stung a lot.

“Well I’ve heard him talking to a girl a few times on the phone and calling her honey or sweetheart.” I added, not knowing why.

“Yeah, then it’s a real good possibility he’s been seeing someone.” I sighed then and felt my heart drop a little.

I don’t know why it hurt even without 100% validation from JC. I knew he wasn’t going to sweep me up and take me to his bed anytime soon, but a girl still liked to dream. I didn’t want to lie in bed, knowing he could very well be laying in bed with some other girl.

“Everly?” I didn’t say anything at first.

“Everly?” Lila repeated my name and then I looked back at her.

“Huh?”

“You okay?” She asked, as my eyes then darted across the room to a collage of photos in a frame. One of the photos was of me and JC, after the first time I’d styled him an outfit. He was breathtaking in it. I tried to look away from the photo then and slowly nodded my head.

“You sure?” She asked. “You got quiet as soon as I told you it was a real good possibility JC is seeing someone.” Then I watched the light bulb go off in her head. Slowly, but surely, the light came onto full wattage.

I looked away from her then and stood up from the couch, picking up my water bottle. I made my way over to the trash can in my kitchen to dispose of it.

“Hold on…” She pointed her finger at me then. “Not so fast. You can’t just walk away and avoid the subject.”

“What is the subject?” I asked, just waiting for the inevitable.

“JC. You like JC. I mean you really like JC!” I tried to not give it away, but I failed.

“So…” She then started laughing.

“My fucking god, Everly! How did I not see this sooner?” I shrugged my shoulders.

“And now he’s setting you up with Matt, while he might also be seeing some chick. Damn…this is one big hot mess. You’re really in for it, girl.” Lila continued on and I sighed.

“I’m not in for anything, at least I don’t think I am. I mean, things might not even spark between me and Matt and JC may never want me like that anyways. If anything, my heart is just going to continue to feel shattered; incomplete.” Lila gave me a sympathetic smile.

“Don’t think like that, girl. As I told you before…anything’s possible when it comes to love.” I chuckled bitterly then.

“Yeah, and that includes not being loved in return by someone you love.” Lila stood up then and stepped over to me. She engulfed me in a hug.

“I know you’ve had some hardships in your love life and I’m sorry about that, Everly. I really am, but most people don’t get a fairytale in one shot. You just need to keep trying. As for you liking JC, well that’s just something you need to figure out. I mean…I’m pleasantly surprised and think you’d be a cute couple, but seeing as you’re both my friends, I can’t really say how you should approach things.” I nodded, understanding.

“I don’t even know how to approach things. This is why I’ve just never said anything and kept my feelings inside.” She gave me a smile, releasing me from her arms.

“Well…maybe you should come up with a plan or something? The worst thing that could happen is that JC turns you down.” I shook my head.

“No, the worst thing that could happen is I lose him as a friend and then he’s no longer in my life.”

“I don’t think he’d sink that low. You’re such a great friend to him and you two have a bond. He’d never just let you go completely.” I hoped Lila was right, since I feared that things would change if my feelings ever came to be known by JC.

“I’d like to think that.” I mustered up smile and then a sigh escaped my lips.

Lila gave me a pat on the back. “It’ll all work out, girl. Don’t worry about it. You’ll end up with who you’re meant to end up with.”

I didn’t bother to say anything else, not wanting to talk in circles and hearing more lovey dovey crap from Lila.



A little while later, after Lila left and I’d changed into my pajamas, I slid into bed, deciding to turn on a movie and fall asleep to it. I channel surfed for a little bit, before finding Dirty Dancing playing once again on TBS. I decided to settle on it, even if it was one of those hopeless romantic movies with the perfect ending. I was hoping it would at least bring me sweet dreams.

About half way through the movie and my eyes feeling heavier, my cell phone, which was placed upon my nightstand, rang. I wasn’t expecting anyone to call me and not with it being as late it was. I knew most of my friends would be getting up in the morning for busy work days. I slowly reached out and grabbed my phone, looking down at it first to see if I recognized the number. Sure enough, I did.

“Hey, Nathaniel.” I answered. “What’s up?”

His voice came through the line. “Hey, Everly. Sorry if you were sleeping. I was just calling to let you know I’m not coming into the office tomorrow. I’m using up a vacation day to spend it with the cute guy I met at Voyeur.”

I chuckled, amused that was the reason he was calling and amused by how he was using up one of his vacation days. Though I knew just how boy crazy my friend was and if he wanted to have his cake and eat it two, I wouldn’t stop him.

“Oh, okay. Well I hope you have fun with this guy. What’s his name?”

“His name is Pierre. He’s originally from Paris and has this sexy accent. Plus his fashion sense is like amazing. He’s actually launching his own line and said he’d show me his stuff.” Nathaniel explained, sounding thrilled about his new suitor. “I think I might have to sleep with him just to get access to his closet and raid it.”

I laughed, heartily. “Sleeping with someone just to steal fashionable clothes? Really?”

Nathaniel laughed as well. “Well it would be a perk, beside having his hot bod on top of mine and bringing me to sweet ecstasy.

“You’re something else.”

“You love me, Ev.” It was true and even if he sounded ridiculous sometimes, he was one of my best friends.

“Yeah…yeah. I do. Anyways, is that all?”

“Oh, I forgot to check in with you and find out how your date with Mr. Matthew Morrison went.”

“It didn’t happen yet. Matt had to reschedule for this Friday. So I’m meeting him and JC in the studio and then we’ll be going on our date.”

“I see…I see. I’m still jealous you have the opportunity to be in the same room with both of them at the same time. I think I’d have a hot boy-gasm, if I had that chance.” I laughed.

I knew it was true. Both of the men were sights for sore eyes and made girls and gay guys adore them. I just had a little more self-restraint than Nathaniel. I could and would be as cool as a cucumber, or at least I hoped so, when I was around both of them.

“Well, maybe you will get the chance.”

“You know I’d love that. You’ll just have to let me know which one you’re calling dibs on before it happens.” I laughed.

I knew I’d always want JC and it would take an extremely amazing date with Matthew for me to pick him instead.

“Yeah, we’ll just um…worry about that later.” I looked at the clock then and realized I really should get to sleep. “I’m going to get to bed, but have a nice day tomorrow with Pierre.”

“Oh I will.” Nathaniel laughed. “Goodnight, Everly.”

“Night.”

I set my phone back upon my nightstand and then decided to not even catch the remainder of Dirty Dancing. The ending would only make me wish I was Jennifer Grey and JC was Patrick Swayze. I pressed the power button on my TV remote and watched my television flicker off. Then I slid further into the sheets of my bed and settled my head upon my pillow, as I got comfortable. I reached my hand out to my lamp and twisted the little knob that would turn off the light. As soon as my lamp turned off, I closed my eyes and turned onto my side.

I lay still, letting out a yawn, as I waited for sleep to overtake my body. Just as I could feel myself falling asleep, I was surprised by another ring of my phone. I almost didn’t want to answer it and let voicemail pick up, but I decided in the end to answer. My eyes saw JC’s number on the caller ID, after I picked up the phone. I quickly flipped it open.

“JC?” I wasn’t sure what he would be calling for, even if I was more than happy to take his call. “I was just about to fall asleep, but you rang. What’s up?

“Shit..sorry. I’m sorry.” He said on the other line. “I was debating whether or not to call, but I just got done with a late session with Kensey and hoped you were still awake.”

“It’s okay. It’s not like I had actually fallen in to a deep sleep yet.”

“Good.” He sighed softly, as if he was relieved.

“And the reason you’re calling….” I pushed him to get his words out.

“Oh yeah. I must be tired too.” He chuckled softly. “The reason I was calling was because I’m so very happy to say that ABDC is coming back real soon and I had a meeting earlier in the day with Randy and some people at MTV….”

“And?” I couldn’t help, but to smile hearing that the show would be back for another season. I liked it when he was busy and still getting exposure. I knew he was dedicated to the show and enjoyed staying busy as well.

“It seems that the stylist we had for the show is no longer going to be with us.”

“That’s good though. Maybe the new one will keep the crews looking stylish and actually make sure you look good too.”

“Hey!” I chuckled.

“Not that you ever looked bad, but some outfits in the past seasons have been questionable. I mean…I don’t want to see grandpa sweaters or a million layers this season. Also, stay away from the bowties, unless you’re in tuxedo.”

He laughed then and I knew he really wasn’t offended. He knew how to take criticism and laugh at himself. He also knew that I knew what I was talking about when it came to fashion.

“Thank you, Miss Monroe. You really know how to keep clients coming back for more expertise.” I chuckled again.

“You’re very welcome.” I heard the sound of a keyboard then and knew JC had to still be in the studio. He plunked away at a few keys and then I heard him speak up again.

“As I was saying before you started to talk about my clothes…” I heard him take a breath and continue. “The show will be getting a new wardrobe stylist, yet they haven’t made an official decision on the position. Yet, it has to be made soon and Randy wants to use someone fresh and not already styling for other shows.”

“Mmhmm….” I continued to listen, wondering where this was going.

“So, he asked people to toss out names of stylists they had used in the past and I may or may not have thrown your name out there.” I heard his words and I was more than pleasantly surprised. I was shocked. To even have him suggest me was one of the kindest things ever.

“You did not!” I cried out.

“I did.” I knew he was wearing a smug smile, even if I couldn’t see it.

“Wow…well, thank you.”

“Welcome. So Randy wants to meet all the stylists we came up with and see if he thinks anyone will fit the bill. I gave him your information and told him it would be best to meet you at Divine Threads.”

“Sounds great, JC. You know the opportunity to even be considered is awesome. Thanks again.”

“No problem, Ev. I do what I can to help out.” I heard him play a few chords and then hum a little.

“You can’t seem to stop, can you?” I asked then, knowing he had the tendency to keep working when he should get some sleep.

“Guilty.” He said, hitting more keys on the keyboard. “I just want to get a good, solid song for Kensey. We have one roughly cut, but I don’t think it’s my best. I want something better and that will make people take her music seriously.”

“Your worst is still better than some people’s best. Keep that in mind.”

“Really? How nice of you to say, Evers.”

“It’s the truth.” I insisted and looked at my clock, seeing that many minutes had passed by and left me with less time to sleep. I didn’t want to hang up on him, so I decided I’d let him end the call, even if it took away from my beauty sleep.

“Thanks.” I knew he was always non-chalant about his talent and wasn’t boastful by any means about it. Which only made me respect him even more, as a fan and a friend.

“You’re still coming to the studio on Friday? Not backing out, are you?” He asked then and I knew he thought there was a possibility I’d ditch.

“I will be at the studio. I will go on a date with Matt. Don’t worry.”

“Good, just checking.”

“Mmhmm.”

“I already told him he has to treat you good and pay for dinner.” I chuckled then.

“Thanks, Mr. Matchmaker. Nice to know you’re looking out for your peeps.”

“It’s what I do.”

“You’re oh so very kind.” I then yawned and knew JC could hear my yawn.

“You’ve really got to get to sleep, huh? I guess I should let you go. My bad.” He said, realizing he’d been keeping me up even longer.

“It’s alright.” His smooth voice had been quite a pleasure to listen to.

“Well goodnight, Everly. Let me know if you hear from Randy and I’ll see you on Friday again.”

“Will do and I’ll see you. Goodnight.”

The line went dead then and I flipped my phone shut, putting it back on my nightstand. The late night call from JC had been interesting. I didn’t get many calls like that from him and for it to be in regards about a potential position for me, was even more unusual. Yet, it proved to me that he was loyal and would help his friends out. It also proved that he cared and believed in me and that I meant something to him, even if it was just in a good friends kind of way. Though just hearing his voice before falling sleep, was something that I could only dream of becoming a regular occurrence. If only I could feel his warmth and not be in bed all alone. That was another thing I could dream of.

There were so many amazing things I could look forward to, if JC actually loved me. So many dreams that could be fulfilled and so many promises that could be kept. There was so much love and passion that could be shared and many memories that could be made. The stars could align and a perfect galaxy of love could be created. Yet, I knew there were meteors in the way and shooting stars that were probably more attractive. So, the odds of not falling into a black hole were against me. I didn’t want to be in a black hole and disappear. I wanted to be his shining star. The one that lit up his universe.

I was going to have to stop laying in bed and coming up with cheesy analogies in my head. I was going to have to find courage somehow…whether I told him how I felt or found love somewhere else. I was going to have to put myself out there again and even though it scared me, it scared me even more to think that I’d end up alone forever.

I shook my head and rid it of all my thoughts, finally attempting to fall asleep for real. I would have to just have to take each day as it came.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc producerjc