Author's Chapter Notes:
I wanted to get this one out a bit sooner, but it just took a little more time. The beginning is sorta eh...but it gets better half way. ;)
Last night, I had checked my e-mail just before going to bed and was glad to see that JC had managed to get back to me. He assured me that the afternoon would work for him as well, and that he’d be in around 3 o’clock today to find his outfit for the Oscar party. I was so glad it was Friday and that the weekend would be here, but not until I got through all of my morning clients and took care of JC.

I was just glad that when I walked into the office that my appointment that was suppose to be the last of the day, had been rescheduled for next week, meaning that I’d get to end my week on a high note. Maybe even a literal one if JC wanted to bust out in song for me, but I knew that was surely not going to happen. It just made me happy though because I could take my time with him and not feel rushed.

I took my seat at my desk and made a couple calls, before I went into the lounge and found some orange juice and a chocolate-frosted donut. Apparently, there was no coffee today and I realized I’d have to go get a cup from down the street sometime later in the day. I knew it wouldn’t be anytime soon, seeing as I was just about to start my first appointment. I ate the donut as fast as I could and swallowed it down with the orange juice, before wiping my face and making myself presentable again.

Then I made my way over to the showroom and found the rack of clothing I had picked out to show my first client. I double checked that all the pieces were accounted for and that the sizes were exactly what I needed as well. I then heard one of the interns walk in and announce that my client had arrived. I watched as another teen pop wannabe walked into the showroom and she had a smile plastered upon her face. It was like a beauty pageant smile, so big and almost fake in appearance. Then as she began to speak, her voice was high-pitched and I realized she could get very annoying, very fast. I just hoped that something I had picked out for her would be something she’d be willing to wear in her first music video.

While Kensey, that was her name, began looking over the rack of clothing I’d picked for her to try on, I watched her with my mind not really focused on the task at hand. I was off in my own world, wanting the clock to move faster. I didn’t want to be so focused on the fact that JC was coming in today, but I found myself doing just that. It’s hard though because I’ve tried to push away some of the feelings I have for him and tell myself that things will never happen between us. I know I don’t look exactly like his usual type, nor have I ever really felt like he would want to be with me. Yet, there’s always that one drop of hope that tells my heart maybe, just maybe, he could be mine. I sighed and watched as Kensey stepped out from behind a curtain, wearing some jeans that had cut-outs and a t-shirt, paired with a leather jacket and some silver chains. She looked punk-pop, as if she was trying to be early Avril Lavigne. I sensed the girl was more princess though and that maybe she was trying too hard to portray an edgier image.

I picked some jeans off the rack without any cut-outs or designs and also a floral, silk top that was more girly. I also grabbed a few pieces of jewelry off of the accessory table and told her to try them on with the outfit. I sensed right away that she wasn’t keen on the idea and she gave me a little attitude, but I told her that my job was to make her look good and give her a good image to uphold. I wanted to keep my reputation of being a wonderful stylist and not watch it go down in flames all because I let Kensey make the wrong outfit selection.

In the end, she decided on going with my cleaner cut, more feminine outfit. I could sense that she loved the floral print of the top and that she was ultimately more comfortable in it. I think she just came in like every other young client, who thinks they have to be a certain way or try too hard, but then realizes they just have to dress like themselves in the end.

Kensey thanked me and assured me that she’d be using my outfit in her video. I was actually glad to finish with her as fast as I did, for the fact that her smile and her voice really did start to be too bubblegum for me. I still had many hours ahead of me and I didn’t need a headache this early.

I crossed Kensey off my list and then checked to see if my next client was in yet. Surely enough, I had a set of twin models waiting and both girls needed fabulous dresses for a magazine launch party they were attending.

After many dresses and a lot of “ooohs” and “ahhhhs”, both sisters found their perfect dresses for the party and once again I was able to end another appointment successfully.

Lunchtime rolled around sooner than I expected, but due to my schedule for the day I couldn’t enjoy my usual leisure break. I had to sneak some crackers and a bottle of water in between two more appointments. Luckily, there seemed to be a lull in the day just before 2 o’ clock and my next client hadn’t shown up yet. So I decided to make my coffee run, since orange juice and water hadn’t given me enough energy. I wanted a caramel macchiato today and I wanted it badly. So I made my way to Starbuck’s and told one of the interns I’d be back as soon as possible.

I made it across the street and stepped into Starbuck’s. I ordered my heavenly beverage and even got extra caramel on top. I looked at my watch as the barista finished my order and realized that JC would be arriving in an hour. It got me excited and I knew soon my day would end and the weekend would officially start. I was more focused now, ready to tackle one more client before Mr. Chasez.

When I arrived back at Divine Threads, I was caught off guard. Not in a bad way, but just unexpected. I could overhear, Lucy, an intern, speaking to someone and it definitely wasn’t a woman. I knew my next client was suppose to be a woman. I got closer to the main desk and then realized I knew that voice. Lucy had to be speaking to JC. I walked past the desk then and was able to catch sight of Lucy and JC. He was leaning against the counter of the main desk and smiling at Lucy as he was in the middle of storytelling.

“Hey, what are you doing here? I have another client who should be here any moment and you’re early.” I asked, stepping next to JC and bringing my caramel macchiato back to my lips. I sipped some down as I listened for his answer.

He turned and looked at me, wearing a smile. “Well, I got out of the studio earlier than I expected and thought I should just come early. I understand if I still have to wait.”

I looked at Lucy then and she grinned at me. “Actually, Everly, just after you left and right before Mr. Chasez got here, your 2 o’ clock canceled. She was in bad traffic and wasn’t going to be making it here anytime soon. So you can take Mr. Chasez right now and then you’re good to head home.” I then looked at JC and smiled at him.

“Well, Mr. Chasez.” I chuckled slightly at being formal with him. “Come back to the showroom with me. I’ve got a whole rack of stuff for you to choose from. I swear you will find an outfit.”

He shook his head, amused. Then he thanked Lucy for talking to him, or more like letting him talk, while he waited for me to return from my coffee run. I watched Lucy blush slightly and wave at him and he returned the gesture, just before following me down the hall. I led JC into the showroom and pulled the rack that contained my selections for him. I had a variety of different suits, dress shirts, and pants for him to choose from. He eyed the rack, seeing how full it was and then tossed me a look.

“Was it necessary to pick this many options?” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, because I never know how picky a client may be and I like having a decent selection. Wouldn’t want you to end up at Elton’s Oscar party in a trash bag because I couldn’t find you anything.” He chuckled and began pawing at the rack.

It was then that I really took notice of the man in front of me. I noted that he had on jeans, a dark denim that hugged his legs and hips just right. He also wore a hoodie, gray with some colorful graphics on it. He looked really comfortable and cuddly. Something about this man in simple jeans and a hoodie was to die for. In fact I could feel my heart start to skip just a bit faster. I stepped closer to him and caught sight of his eyes then. They were every bit of crystal blue that I had grown use to and they seemed to sparkle.

As he turned to look at me, it was like a wave crashed over me, his gaze so intense. Once again I felt the rhythm of my heart pick up and I quickly stepped back for a moment. I turned my head and then grabbed a pair of pants off the end of the rack.

“You okay, Everly?” He asked. “You just seem quiet today or a little jumpy….I don’t know.”

I held out the pair of pants to him and nodded. “I’m…I’m fine. Maybe just a little out it.”

He accepted my answer. “I know what you mean. I was starting to space out at the studio. Just one of those days. I can’t wait to go to Voyeur tomorrow night with you and the gang.”

I grabbed a dress shirt for him to try on as well and handed it to him. “I’m excited as well.”

“Is Nate coming?” I smirked at his usage of Nathaniel’s nickname.

“I don’t think he could turn down the invite. Plus he loves to have a good time.”

“He seems like he’d be the party type.” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, he’s a very happy-go-lucky kind of guy. He loves to have a good time.”

“Well good, then I’m glad he’s able to join us.” I pointed to the changing area, wanting JC to try on the pants and shirt he had in hand.

“Try them on and then we’ll go from there.” He simply obeyed and I waited for JC to come back with his reveal.

When he was changed into the dress shirt and pants a moment later, I was happy with the pants. They fit him just right and were classic black. As for the shirt, it seemed too tight in the arms and I tossed him a look.

“The pants are a keeper, but what’s with your arms? It’s like they’re ready to bust out of the fabric. I swear I picked the right size according to your measurements.” He seemed oblivious about the fact for a second and then shrugged.

I reached out and grabbed one of his biceps, doing my best to remain calm and not enjoy it too much. It was then I could tell that his arm seemed pretty muscular and that the fabric of the shirt really was too tight. “Have you been working out?”

He gave me a sheepish grin and bobbed his head slightly. “Yeah, maybe…you think I need a slightly bigger size now?” I was finding this predicament a little funny.

“It’s possible. I wouldn’t want you to wear this on the red carpet and bust out of the seams, Mr. Hulk. I better find you something else and we might have to redo your measurements if you’re going to keep working out hardcore.” He let out a hearty chuckle and it was like music t my ears.

“I’m not the Hulk. Do I look green?” I found another dress shirt, one that was almost gray or charcoal in nature. It appeared just slightly larger and it wasn’t as predictable as white. I handed it to him, as I sassed back.

“Nope…just white and pasty.” He rolled his eyes and then took the hint to try on the other dress shirt.

Once JC was dressed in the gray dress shirt, I knew right away it was the shirt. His arms looked better in it and the richness of the shade complemented his looks. I felt one of his biceps again and was happy to see the fabric was slightly roomier and not straining around his arm. I knew then that we had to build the rest of his look.

“Alright this shirt is a keeper. You’re not too shabby looking in dark colors.” He smiled and I could tell he was pleased that he had found the correct shirt in only two tries.

“You think I need a vest, a jacket, or what?” I eyed him carefully and then looked back at the rack of options we still had left.

“Mmm…maybe you could have both and even a tie. A tie is a must.”

“What about a bowtie?” I laughed.

“Nope, you’ve had your fair share of those already and you’ve gotten made fun of as well. I would much rather prefer that you listen to me and wear a regular tie.” He scowled for a moment and then sighed, giving into me.

“Fine…I’ll wear a tie.”

“Thank you.” I walked over to the table that was filled with assorted mens’ accessories and found a gray tie that was made of shimmering fabric. It almost bordered on being silver, but still appeared gray, especially with the gray dress shirt he was going to wear. It was just the right amount of flash, without ruining the uniform look of the rest of his outfit.

I handed him the tie and then I pulled a silk, black vest to layer over the dress shirt and then a black suit jacket that would match his black pants perfectly. He didn’t really say anything and took everything I found and went to try them on. I just knew he’d look perfect in the entire ensemble. All he would need was black dress shoes, but I knew that he would easily find a pair in his closet at home.

When JC revealed the whole outfit to me, I blinked my eyes, not sure if I was even seeing straight. He looked like he had just posed for a GQ photo shoot or something along that line. He looked well-dressed and sophisticated, not to mention perfectly put together and handsome. I was most proud of the tie I’d picked out. It seemed to bring out his eyes and work nicely against the black of the suit. I tried to not smile too big, nor drool. I cleared my throat and found my voice after a momentary lapse.

“Perfect. This is your outfit. If you attend Elton’s party in anything other than this, I’ll be very upset.” He smiled and seemed to give off this air of confidence now. I knew he had to feel great in the ensemble.

“I would never want you upset with me, Evers. I swear I’ll take your advice and wear this.” He gave me a smile that told me he was serious and that I had done another great styling for him.

“What a great client you are, Mr. Chasez.” I teased and watched as he went back over to the changing area to get back into the jeans and hoodie he’d had on.

I grabbed the proper bag to put all of his selections in and then took them from him after he returned by my side. I packed it all up perfectly, so nothing would get wrinkled and then eyed him again as I handed him the bag. He still looked really comfortable and cuddly in that hoodie, not to mention casually sexy. I wanted to just hug him and squeeze him, claiming him as my own. I wanted to slide my hands up the hem of the hoodie and find his skin, while planting a gentle kiss upon his perfectly sculpted lips. They looked delicious for the savoring. Not to mention that he had a thin layer of scruff that I wanted to rub my cheek against. It was all so much and he was all too yummy. I clutched my heart and took a deep breath, feeling concerned eyes on me now. Then I heard JC’s voice.

“You okay? Out of it again? Nothing’s wrong with your heart is it?” I held back the chuckle that wanted to escape my lips. If only he knew what was really going on with my heart. He was the one making it go out of whack.

“No, no…” I shook my head. “I’m good. I think I was just out of it again. Mmm..or maybe my coffee. My heart’s fine.”

He seemed assured after a moment and then I heard his cell phone go off. He reached for it and brought it up to his ear. He then walked away from me, giving himself some privacy, but not too far that I couldn’t hear a few words here and there.

I could tell that whomever was on the other line, was someone he was happy to hear from. He wore a smile upon his face as he talked and seemed very into his conversation. I began cleaning everything up and putting away the rack of reject clothing as he finished up his conversation. I also jotted down all the pieces JC had selected and slid the information into his file. I kept a file for all of my clients because it was Divine Thread’s policy, but also because it helped to keep track of clothing and helped to better serve clients.

I had finished up with everything when I saw that he was still on the phone. His mouth was moving and his voice was rambling on. It was an adorable trait and one of the reasons I enjoyed my time around him. He could carry on a conversation, which was foreign to some guys, and he could tell stories with such a colorful vocabulary and keep your attention. Plus, his voice always seemed to be laced with genuine kindness, passion, concern, etc when he spoke to anyone.

“Well, I just finished finding my outfit for an Oscar party. I was just going to head home now….” I heard his voice before it trailed off again and then picked back up. “I think I can call it quits with the studio for the day. No reason why I can’t. My buddy would understand, plus I’m sure he’s got other people he wants to hang out with while he’s in LA.”

I smiled, knowing the buddy he was referring to was Dallas and assumed that he had to be talking to a friend or someone else he’d met in the wonderful world of Hollywood. I felt my stomach growl then and I realized that I’d have to eat something soon. I would probably end up grabbing some carry-out on the way home. Well, unless JC was hungry too and he’d want to grab a bite to eat with me.

“Oh you’re just getting ready to leave now? Well perfect….yeah, that should be fine. Sounds good to me. I’m glad you called. Alright…I’ll catch you in a little bit. See you soon, honey.”

That was the end of JC’s side of the conversation that I managed to overhear. It had me slightly curious, but I knew it wasn’t my place to question and find out the details. It did irk me though that he had used the word “honey”. He has a tendency to use that endearment with a lot of females, myself included, but this time it just rubbed me the wrong way. I wondered who he’d actually been talking to, but tried to not let my mind go down a bad path.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to keep you waiting on me. Thanks again for helping me out, Everly. I’ll get out of your hair now and let you get on home.” JC said, as walked toward me and slid his phone back into his jean pocket. He still wore a content look on his face.

“Oh, it’s quite alright.” I then felt my stomach growl again and I shot JC a look. “Hey, would you maybe want to grab some food? I’m hungry and it appears we’re both free right now.”

He then gave me an apologetic smile. “You know I would, but…..some plans just came up. In fact, they entail dinner at this awesome Thai restaurant. Maybe some other time soon we can have lunch or dinner together.”

I nodded my head. I would’ve loved to grab dinner with him tonight, but it appeared that he and the mystery caller had created plans. I tried to not think the worst. Even if he was going on a “date”, there had been so many of these so called “dates” that I tried not to worry. I hadn’t seen JC in an actual committed relationship since I’d known him in real-life. That fact alone provided some small comfort.

“No worries. I’ll be seeing you tomorrow night still, anyways, right?” He nodded his head and grinned.

“Yup, and Lila told me she’s picking you up. So I expect to see you girls or you’ll both be square.”

“More like you better be there or be square, JC.” I smirked and then watched him, balance his outfit over his one arm, as he stepped even closer to me. He then gave me a one-armed hug and put the smallest peck to my cheek.

“Wouldn’t even dream of not showing up. We’re all going to have a blast. Thanks again for finding my outfit, Evers.”

I tried to forget about the feel of his lips against my cheek and told myself it was just a friendly gesture and that I’d seen him kiss girl’s cheeks before. I nodded my head and then let out a soft sigh.

“No problem. A friend doesn’t let a friend dress like shit.” He chucked then.

“And thank god my friend is a fashion stylist.” I shook my head at him with amusement and then began walking out of the showroom. JC followed out of the room behind me and we reached the main desk.

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow.” JC said, giving me a salute, and then sticking his hand into the front pocket of his hoodie.

“Later, my friend.” I simply said and smiled, watching him walk away from me. Then I turned around and went to my office to grab my things. I still had the image of his backside in my head and all I wanted to do was to see it again. Though I’d just have to wait until tomorrow.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc producerjc