Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews, guys. Keep 'em coming.

 

March 14th, 1998
Orlando, FL

I jerked myself awake when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Sorry to scare you,” the stewardess said with a kind smile. “We’re beginning our descent now. Please put your seat in an upright position.”

I nodded as the stewardess walked away. I stretched my arms up and let out a long yawn. Watching movies before my flight was not a good idea. I didn’t get any sleep, but it wasn’t because of turbulence or anything. My mind was so restless I couldn’t focus on anything, I don’t even remember what the in-flight movie was. Well, my mind wasn’t the reason I don’t remember the movie. It was from texting JC so much. Yeah, JC, not Justin.

I had gotten on the plane and right as I sat down I got a message from him: Have a safe flight. :).

Which I responded with, I will just as long as there aren’t any screaming kids next to me.

He replied with, I think I feel sorrier for the kids having to sit next to you then you having to deal with them. Don’t go off on them, they are kids after all. ;)

I couldn’t bring myself to respond to that text so I changed the subject all the while going back and looking at it. It took me about a minute to realize that I had been dissecting his text to figure out why he put a winky-face at the end. I was starting to drive myself crazy so I told him I’d try and get some sleep. I tried, and failed, so I ended up writing to pass the time. Somehow one page ended up with scribbles of his name. Like a normal rational person I freaked out and ripped it to shreds, making sure I left no evidence. If Bobbie ever found out….I don’t even want to know what she’d do. Eventually my mind worked I overdrive so much I managed to finish three songs before I finally conked out the last forty-five minutes of the flight.

I shoved my notebook back into my carryon and adjusted my seat. I turned and looked out the window, smiling at the familiarity of Orlando International. Oh how I missed the Florida sun and the palm trees and the oranges.

Finally the plane touched down and stopped at the terminal I grabbed my things and decided to wait for a little bit to get off so I wouldn’t have to deal with the shoving match to get off the plane. I sat back and watched everyone slowly shuffle towards the front, wondering where they could be going in such a hurry.

Finally the airplane cleared out a bit more so I decided to get off. My luggage should’ve been taken off the plane by now. I paused to tell the pilot that it was a great flight and offered a smile before leaving the plane. Some people gave me odd looks but my mom always told me to be those who provide us a service, such as pilots, because it’ll make their day that much better.

I walked down the small hall with a new bounce in my step. I just loved being back home. Finally I stepped out into the busy airport and walked in the direction of the baggage claim when I heard someone call my name.

“Were you just going to walk right by us?” Mike asked with a laugh while I launched myself into his arms.

“Sorry, I had a lot on my mind,” I replied and hugged Mom. “Hey Mom! I missed you!”

“How was the flight?” She asked while pushing my hair out of my face.

“It felt longer than it actually was. I didn’t get any sleep,” I replied, rubbing my eye. “What time is it?”

“About ten. Come on, you can get some sleep in the car.”

“Nah. Once I’m up I’m up. Where’s Dad? Back at home?”

“Yeah, he’s getting the house ready for your going away party.”

I groaned. “Mom, I don’t want a party.”

“But your aunt and your cousins are coming all the way down from Canada.”

I sighed. Once Mom’s mind was made up it was hard to change. I got that from her I guess. “Fine.”

I walked behind Mike and Mom, studying them. They had their hands clasped together, fingers laced. They were swinging their arms and grinned at each other every now and then as if they were in their own little world. The spark that they had was amazing, it brought a smile to my face and at the same time it made my heart heavy not seeing Dad as happy as Mom was.

“I need to get Little J and Oreo too. They’re probably freaking out in that cage,” I said as I watched the luggage carousel go around while waiting for my suitcase to come in.

“I’ll get them,” Mike offered. He placed a kiss on Mom’s cheek before walking off.

“When’s the wedding?” I asked, not taking my eyes off of the ugly polka dot suitcase that went around again.

“We didn’t set one yet,” Mom replied. “But I was thinking maybe next summer. Maybe at our church back home.”

I wrinkled my nose. “I have nothing but love for Pastor Samuels but I think it’d be better if it were outside. You know, flowers, nature, horses, stuff like that. It’d be cool, kind of like…a fairytale horse themed wedding.” My eyes lit up. “Oh! Mom, you could come down the aisle on Trinket and Commanche!”

Mom laughed. “You’ve been thinking about this wedding more than I have. Maybe you want to be my wedding planner.”

“The stress would cause me to freak out,” I mumbled, glaring at the polka dot suitcase that went by once again.

“You can be my Maid of Honor, then.”

“I figured you’d give the position to Aunt Abbey.”

“I thought it would be a little weird, considering she was the Maid of Honor at my first wedding, so…”

“I get it.” I pushed my hair out of my face. Mom did that thing where she purses her lips and then pushed them to the side, which basically signals he’s about to make a comment. “I’m not cutting my bangs,” I warned her.

“I just don’t understand why you like them so long. I can’t see your pretty eyes,” she replied.

“I can hide behind them,” I replied. And hide from someone who won’t get off my back about her boyfriend.

“Why would you want to do that?” I shrugged. “Habit,” I replied. “Finally!” I grabbed my bright blue suitcase and lifted the handle as Mike came back carrying the two dog crates. I laughed at Oreo trying to stick his little paw through the holes in the front. “Let’s go. the sooner we leave the sooner they can run around the backyard.”

“We also have a surprise waiting for you when you get home,” Mile said with a sly grin. “I think you’ll really like it.”

“Why can’t you just tell me what it is?” I asked, following him and Mom out of the airport.

“Because it’d ruin the surprise.”

“I hate surprises.”

“You’ll like this one.”

The last “surprise” I got was Mom and Dad breaking up. I don’t think I want another one.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

“Daddy!” I dropped my bags and gave him a big hug. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too, sweetheart,” he said and kissed my forehead. “How was the tour and everything?”

“Great, and I have news for you that is dying to come out,” I replied as Mike and Mom walked into the kitchen. “Ok, ready?” They nodded. “Guess whose singles are number one right now?” I said with a big grin. All at once they let out cheers while looks of astonishment crossed their features.

“Number one after a week?” Dad asked in disbelief.

“I know, it’s crazy but I’m so stoked,” I replied, noticing the bowl of apple slices sitting on the counter. I reached for one but Dad slapped my hand away. “Vous êtes méchant,” I said with a pout.

Ne laissez pas votre choses traîner. Placez-les dans votre chamber,” Dad replied with a smirk, taking the bowl out of my reach. I reached for it again and he gave me his warning sign: lifting his eyebrows and staring at me pointedly.

“Ooh, you mean business.” I left the kitchen and went back to my abandoned bags by the door. I chuckled at Little J and Oreo ramming themselves against the carriers to get out. “OK, OK, no need to go postal.” I unlatched the doors and they came shooting out, running around the house, happily barking. I wheeled my suitcase after me to the stairs. I struggled a little bit to get the suitcase up the stairs but I managed to get to the landing. I paused and looked around at the boxes of Mom’s stuff and furniture that filled the hallway. Sighing, I twisted the knob and opened the door to my bedroom. “Holy…” That was the only thing I could get out as I looked at my room. Or, to be specific, my new room.

The walls used to be a gray-blue color but now it was bright blue, about the color of the sky in those island brochures. On the right side of my room, above the bed, painted on the wall in white was a tree with gold silver butterfly shapes on random branches. My bed was covered in navy blue and white sheets and pillows. In the corner, next to my bedroom closet, was a small white chair. The cushions on top of my window seat, which was right across from where I was standing, were now striped navy blue and white. The curtains were gold to match the butterflies on the wall. On the left wall, across the room from my bed, sat my new mahogany desk and a new medusa lamp. Next to it a new TV sat on a new sturdy bookshelf filled with my books. Next to that, in the corner, was a mountain of pillows and beanbags. On the other side of my desk my guitars sat on stands. Behind the open door was where my new dresser sat, a deep mahogany color that stood out against the otherwise bright room, but seemed to fit all together. I then noticed that the carpet had been replaced with a plush cream colored carpet. The best part was the brand new camera and video camera that sat on my desk in a red ribbon along with a new big photo album.

I couldn’t function. My mind wouldn’t work and no sounds would come out of my mouth. I let my eyes move around the room a few more times before I turned back around and went back down the stairs and straight into the kitchen. All speech stopped as they turned to look at me.

“You…you changed my room,” was the only thing that managed to come out of my house.

“Yeah,” Mike replied, putting down his cup of coffee.

“You changed my room,” I repeated, still trying to wrap my head around it.

“You all ready said that.” He wiped his palms on his jeans. “Do you like it?” He asked, a hesitant smile forming on his face.

“It’s…it’s…it’s…” Why can’t I talk? Form some words! “It’s so…cool. Cool doesn’t even cover it, but that’s the only word that’s forming right now. I like the colors. And you put up butterflies! How’d you know I like butterflies? It’s not my birthday nor is it my half.”

Mike let out a sigh and smiled broadly. “I’m glad you like it. Think of it as a late Valentine’s Day present.”

“It’s so awesome!” I gushed. “Whose idea was the color scheme?” I lightly hit my forehead. “I mean, I’m not that complex with colors I like but it all balances well.”

“Well, your father was the one who came up with the idea, I just got all of the furniture and things he needed,” Mike replied, slapping Dad’s shoulder.

“Thanks Dad,” I said, hugging his side. “Thanks Mike. I love it, really.”

“I’m glad,” Dad said and kissed the top of m head and then he got up. “If you’ll excuse me I have some work to get to.”

Dad patted my shoulder and I watched him walk out of the room. Something was off in his walk and I automatically knew something was wrong. Mom and Mike started talking quietly about something and soon left. I think she said that they’re staying in a hotel until I leave or something, I wasn’t paying that close attention.

I went into the pantry and filled Little J’s and Oreo’s bowls with their favorite dog food. They came scampering around the corner and dug into their food. I leaned against the sink and looked around at anything in the house that my eye could reach. In the next couple of days everything I knew would officially change.

I walked through the rooms on the first floor before finally seeing Dad sitting in the living room. I watched him working on his camera for a little while and then walked into the room, letting him know that I was there. He was acting so strange…

“Hey Daddy, can we talk?” I asked, leaning against the back of the couch.

He looked up from the camera that was in his hands and glanced at me. I smiled a little at the small pair of glasses that were perched on his nose and made his blue eyes look big. “Can it wait?” He asked, motioning to the cameras in front of him on the coffee table and turned back around.

C’est importante,” I said.

He sighed and put the camera down. “Bon alors,” he replied and patted the empty cushion next to him. He took off his glasses and carefully put them down on the coffee table as I sat and pulled couch pillow onto my lap. “Ce qui est sur toi esprit?”

“It’s about the divorce,” I replied.

He tensed. “I thought we were finished with this.”

“You and Mom might be but I’m not.”

“Sweetie, we can talk about this another—?“

I grabbed his wrist when he moved to pick up the camera again. He sighed and looked at me. “I’m not fourteen, Dad. I’m not just going to stand by and let you go through with this without having my questions answered.”

He closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. At first I thought he was in pain but he leaned back in his seat and tilted his head so he was looking at me. “What is it exactly you want to know?”

“I want to know why.”

“Sweetie—“

“Dad, you and Mom always told me some half-ass truth about why you two split up. It may have taken me a while to realize it, but I realize it now and I want to know why.” I crossed my arms over my chest as best as I could with the pillow in the way. “You and Mom were high school sweethearts, remember?” I nudged him with my foot when he didn’t respond. “Mamaw didn’t want her to go to school in Canada but she went and she met you and she stayed for you. She learned French for you. You could’ve easily left her when she was pregnant with me but you stayed until you both finished school and then you left everything you knew to move here for her. Why did you guys split up, Dad, why?”

“Because it wasn’t fair for her,” he finally replied.

My eyebrows crinkled together. “What? I don’t get it.”

“She wasn’t happy with me. I loved her so much. I know she loved me too…but she wasn’t happy. I could see it the more you grew up how unhappy she was but she kept going for you. It wasn’t fair to you and it wasn’t fair to her so…I asked her to leave.” Dad let out a long sigh. “Your mother is a very proud woman, it’s where you get it from, and she wouldn’t admit that she was unhappy so she dealt with it in a passive way.”

I nodded slowly. “By cheating,” I supplied.

“You knew?” He asked, shocked.

I nodded. “Justin told me something about seeing her kiss Paul once—her coworker Paul, not his step-father,” I replied. “Besides, Mom isn’t that great at being secretive. I’ve always had my suspicions.” I shrugged. “I just didn’t want to be right. I guess I tricked myself into believing that everything was fine.” Wait a second… “But didn’t it bother you? That she was cheating?”

“Oh, it broke my heart,” he replied, wrapping his hands around a knee and bringing it to his chest. “I couldn’t understand why she would rather cheat on me than deal with this in a civil way but it was her way of lashing out. She didn’t really get to experience anything because she was pregnant with you at a young age.”

“So I’m to blame?” I asked, dumbfounded.

“No, of course not, and don’t ever think you are!” He replied, staring hard at me. “Understand? We love you and we don’t ever blame you for our problems.”

“Ok,” I whispered.

“Anyway, when she wouldn’t…come to terms with her misplaced anger I…got a little too close to alcohol and it pushed her away further. It was my way of coping with losing the one woman I’ve ever loved in my life. Finally, when she was yelling at me about being a drunk and not taking care of you properly, I lost it, I guess. Called her every name under the sun, told her to get out of my life and that I hated her.”

“You don’t hate her,” I told him.

“I know. My love for her grows every day and, because I love her so much, I knew I had to let her go. She wasn’t happy. I could see it and she jumped around the subject until I gave her divorce papers to sign.”

“Huh,” I muttered. “I thought Mom was the one who gave you divorce papers.”

“What kind of story has she been telling you?” He asked. He didn’t sound offended, just curious.

“It was just my assumption,” I replied. “Let me see if I understand this. You and Mom met in high school in Canada.”

“Right.”

“You fell in love and got married as soon as she was of age?”

“Right.”

“And she got pregnant before the end of senior year?”

“Yes.”

“And then you had me and moved to Tennessee?”

“Yes.”

“And Mom was upset that she never got to do what she wanted to do in her life,” I mumbled. “So, wait, where has she been this whole time? Every time she left for her job?”

He cracked a grin. “You’re too smart. I’m sure you could tell she hasn’t been at her job. Hell, she’s never kept a steady one. True, the last one she had was a travel agent or something—that’s what she told me—but she was actually going to school and getting her degree.”

I felt a huge weight on my chest. It was making it hard for me to breathe. Everything swam around in my head and I tried to come to terms with it. I could feel something boiling inside of me and then it forced its way out. “Why couldn’t you all just tell me that?’ I exploded. “Why didn’t you guys ever tell me anything? You…you made me tiptoe around the dam house wondering what I did to ruin your marriage and do everything I could to fix it! I…I danced, I rode horses, I entered competition after competition to keep you guys happy and for nothing!”

“Whoa, whoa whoa,” Dad cried out, waving his hands. “You did those things because you love to do them—“

“Because it made you two happy, Dad! When…whenever I won a horse show or a dance competition you guys were different and I wanted to keep things that way,” I groaned, angrily brushing away the tears that were falling down my face. Damn, when’d I get so soft? “I wasn’t stupid, I knew something was wrong and I ended up figuring it all out on my own, like usual, and look how that helped. I’m screwed up and it’s your fault.”

“You’re not screwed up.”

“Yes I am, Dad!” I cried out. “Did you know that I blame myself for Aaron’s death? Huh? Did you?” He bit his lip and turned his eyes away from me. I continued anyway, knowing that I still had his attention. “I still do and I don’t think I’ll ever get over it ‘cause I can’t talk to you two about it because you’ve moved on, like he didn’t matter! Just like you two went on as if your marriage didn’t matter! You didn’t care how much it affected me as well; all you two cared about were yourselves! Why do you think I went along with the…the movie thing and the singing thing? Because it’s something I could do to make me happy and so I’m busy enough that I don’t think about anything else anymore. It’s so I can’t dwell on Aaron’s death, or my other brother’s death, or you having cancer, or you and Mom getting divorced. Singing and the movie and dancing are the only things I can control and they’re the only things that keep me sane. But I’m scared, Dad. I’m scared of what’ll happen when I leave. I’m scared of what you and Mom will do. I’m scared of what’s going to happen to you and that I’ll wake up one day and you’re gone, just like that. I can’t lose you too. I couldn’t bear it!”

“Hey, you are not going to lose me, alright?” Dad said, brushing away my tears and pulling me into a tight hug. “Alright? I am not leaving this Earth until I see you walk down the aisle and I have a grandkid I can hold. I don’t care if that’s up until I’m on my deathbed, I will hold on until I know it’s time to go.”

“Aren’t you scared, Dad?”

“You’re damn right I am but I didn’t want you to see that I was scared. I didn’t want ma petite fleur to see that her daddy wasn’t as strong as she thought he was. I didn’t want you to see me as weak and I didn’t want you to think that you needed to lose your childhood to help me get better.”

“Dad, I told you I want to help you pay your hospital bills, especially now since Momma doesn’t have a job.” I held up my hand when he moved to protest. “I don’t care that you don’t want me to, but I’m doing it. I’m paying you back for dealing with your brat of a daughter.”

“You’re not a brat.”

“Dad, I was horrible to Momma! My best friend! I called her names and was downright rude but you guys never said anything about it. I was a brat and I’m making up for it. I’m going to make you guys proud of me. OK?”

“We all ready are.” He kissed my forehead and gave me another tight hug, this time not letting go until he was ready to. I still had a bunch more questions I wanted answers to but I kept my mouth shut. I suddenly felt drained and exhausted. He pushed my hair out of my eyes and added, “And yes, for the last time, I’m happy that your mother and Mike are getting married. Hell, I introduced them.”

“No you didn’t. Mom said—“

“Inadvertently. He stopped by the shop one day and I gave him directions to Starbucks.”

“He stopped by the…you’re opening the shop again?”

He shrugged. “Cancer does a funny thing to people. Made me realize how much I miss photography, figured I’d open the shop again.”

“Dad, that’s great!” Ugh, these up and down emotions were seriously starting to get to me. “You need a new place to put these pictures anyway,” I added, motioning to the large pictures of me that hung around the house. “I know you two love me and all but it’s creepy.”

He chuckled. “Yeah, it kind of is.”

I gripped the pillow that was on my lap and sighed. “So what’s going to happen now?”

“Now that I have a nurse coming around”—he rolled his eyes “your mother and Mike are going to move back to Memphis. Whenever you return you can take turns in each place but Thanksgiving will still be in Memphis and Christmas will still be in Canada, situation permitting.”

“Deal.” I grabbed his hand and shook it. “But, by the time I’m eighteen, I will be out of this house and in my own.”

“What, you don’t want to live with your old man?”

“You’re a horror story of a roommate,” I joked.

He smiled and changed the subject. “How’re you holding up?”

I shrugged. “Fine so far. Everything’s happening so fast. As soon as my head wraps around everything I think I’ll finally be able to accept what’s happening and accept how busy I’ll be and that I won’t be able to see you as much anymore.”

“How will you survive?” He asked with a teasing grin.

I smacked his knee and he chuckled. “How’re you holding up?”

“I have my good days and my bad days.”

“What about today?”

“It’s good so far. I haven’t felt the urge to puke nor fall over every five seconds. I’m a little more tired than usual but otherwise I think I’ll be fine going back to work.” He rolled his eyes and added, “My babysitter regularly checks up on me.”

“Nurse, Dad, nurse,” I corrected him. “And do I ever get to meet the person who’s stealing my father from me?”

“No,” he replied. “It’s bad enough that you see me sick. I don’t want you to see me getting chemo either.” He waved his hand as if waving away the topic. “How’re the boys doing?”

“Great,” I replied and laughed a little. “They’re still amazed that people bother listening to them. Once when we were in New York there were these fans that figured out what room they were in by counting windows and stood on the streets and yelled at them all night. It was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. They practically had heart attacks whenever one of them would look out the window.”

“Have your laugh now,” Dad said with a grin.

“You all think I’m destined for greatness or something.”

“Because you are. You don’t deserve anything less.”

My heart warmed. “Thanks.”

I reached back and grabbed the ringing phone. I glanced at the caller ID and decided to pick up the phone despite not recognizing the number. “Hello, Desrosiers residence.”

“Frenchie! Howzit goin’?”

I blinked. “AJ?”

“The one and only, Sweetcheeks. Get your ass over to the party! It’s gonna be funky!”

“Oh, I almost forgot. It’s in Ruskin, right? Could you give me the address?”

“No need. I’ll give you a lift.”

I pulled the phone away from my ear and looked at it right as a honk pealed from outside. I got up off the couch and pulled the curtain back to look out the window. Dad hovered above me and looked out the window as well. AJ was sitting in a shiny red sports car. Once he saw us looking out the window he pressed the heel of his palm against the horn again.

I hung up the phone and looked at Dad. “I think I’m being kidnapped,” I told him.

“Just tell him to bring you back by eleven at the latest,” Dad replied.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

“So what’re you doing today?” I asked over the roaring wind as AJ sped down the interstate.

“We have radio stuff all day,” Justin replied. I could hear the tiredness in her voice. “We flew into California about an hour ago. Chris and I are going to try and find some time to go to the beach.”

“Too bad I’m not there to put in a good word for you guys,” I commented as AJ took the exit ramp.

“I don’t think we’ll have a big problem with the ladies. We’re getting pretty popular out here.” Justin didn’t say it in a bragging way, more in a factual way. I saw it all first hand, I didn’t need to picture what he was talking about. Their fans were nuts.

“When’s your show tonight?”

“About seven-thirty.”

“Call me later; I want to hear about it.”

“It’d be about one o’clock your time though.”

“I’ll be so bored it’d keep me awake. I wouldn’t care of the time.”

“Yeah.” Justin paused. I could hear the others talking about some blonde chick that the car had just passed. Joey started that conversation, no doubt. Always the flirt. “What’re your plans for today? Are you in a car?”

“Yeah, I’m on my way to Ruskin,” I replied.

“Why there?”

I hesitated. Justin and the others were still kind of bitter towards the Backstreet Boys not just because of our little tiff but because they were technically rivals. It wasn’t as bad as the media made it out to be but they were basically continuing to try to one up the other. AJ and Justin knew each other before either group exploded, actually, they played basketball together a few times but he was ‘Alex’ back then. (Now that I look back on it it was odd that I’ve never met him prior to Germany). That’s why Justin was a little put-off by him when that little fight arose and I knew he still had bitter feelings.

“Um…we’re going to the Gulf just to hang out at the beach,” I replied, biting my thumbnail. “Me, Mom, Dad, Mike, and the dogs. Oh yeah, they’re throwing a going away party/Orlando tornado benefit party tomorrow if you guys want to come.”

“For sure, we wouldn’t miss spending our last day with you.”

“Just be careful how you act. My grandparents are coming.”

“Which ones?”

“The Canadian ones.”

“Oh, they love me! Everyone does.”

“Psh, whatever. Look, I gotta go. Talk to you later, OK?”

“You know it. I’ll tell the guys you said ‘hi’. See you later.”

“Not if I see you first.” I hung up my phone and let out the breath that I had been holding.

AJ grinned. “Are we invited to this party too or are you ashamed to be with us?”

I shrugged. “Might as well come. Dad’s going to want to meet who I’m going on tour with so he can make sure you guys are OK in his book. But don’t freak out if he or my grandfather starts talking about their shotguns. They’re not serious about it.”

AJ laughed as he eased the car down a long street in the neighborhood we just turned into. I looked out at the elegant looking homes. A few had kids playing around in their sprinkler systems, their laughter being muffled by the wind as it blew in my ears. AJ turned the car into a long driveway which was filled with other cars and cut the engine.

I looked up at the large, two-story house. It was surrounded by a big white fence but it didn’t take away from the large stone covered structure. The sound of shrieks which were quickly followed by the sound of splashing poured from the backyard. I got out of the car, lifting my drawstring bag over my shoulder. AJ looked oddly comfortable unlatching the gate and walking towards the front door.

“Hey AJ, whose place is this anyway?” I asked while following him up the porch steps.

“You’ll see,” he replied while pressing the doorbell button next to the wooden French doors.

“Why can’t you just tell me?”

“You’ll find out in about five seconds anyway.” Just then the door opened. “Hey Nicky, it’s about time you open the damn door,” he commented, giving Nick a ‘bro-hug’.

“We couldn’t hear it over the dogs barking, man,” Nick replied.

I took the time to look him over. He wore a red Michael Jordan basketball jersey and black swim trunks. His hair was gelled perfectly to give it a wet look and a pair of glasses was perched on his nose. My brain fried from just looking at him. I almost jumped out of my skin when he turned to look at me.

“Hey Dimples, glad you could make it,” he addressed me with a smile.

I blinked and regained control of my brain, thankfully before I said something stupid. “Thanks for having me, Blondie,” I replied. “You mind letting us in?”

He gave a little laugh and moved out of the way to let us in. “Sorry about that.” AJ stepped inside and walked through the house as if he knew where he was going. I didn’t put it past him.

“Since when do you wear glasses?” I asked, looking around while he closed the front door.

“Since when do you have a southern accent?” He replied, a teasing grin forming on his face.

My heart seemed to miss a beat. “Touché.”

“Well, c’mon don’t stand there like a wallflower. The party’s out back. Everyone else is all ready here,” Nick said while leading me through the house. “My sisters can’t wait to meet you. Aaron would’ve been here but he’s in Europe right now but you’ll get to meet him on tour,” Nick rambled.

“He can take time off?” I asked, following him.

He looked at me over his shoulder. “He’s our other opening act. It’s you and Aaron. Cool huh? It’ll be like one big party. He’s kinda crazy but you’ll like him. Everyone does. Hey, how’s your Dad?”

I shook my head a little. I still wasn’t used to how fast he could jump topics. “He’s doing fine. Getting chemo and stuff as always. He’s opening the shop again.”

“That’s great! I’m glad he’s getting better and stuff.”

I managed a smile. He paused in the back of the kitchen to pull at the sliding glass door. The loud music that had been muffled now blasted by my ears as he ushered me outside. Every which way I turned someone was talking, laughing, dancing, eating, or taking a leap into the large pool.

“Hey you finally made it,” Leighanne said from my right.

“Leigh! It’s so good to see you,” I gushed, giving her a hug. “Wait, you’re blonder than before,” I pointed out.

“It’s the advantage of the Orlando sun,” she said with a smile.

“Where’s Kristin?”

Her smile faded and she lowered her voice. “She and Kevin are in an off stage right now.” She saw the shocked look on my face and added, “Don’t worry, they’ve been on and off for years, it’s like a cycle for them. They’ll come together in the end.”

I was about to respond when I heard Brian yell, “MACARONI SANDWICH!”

“Oh no,” I groaned and shoved my drawstring bag into a confused Leighanne’s arms. A glance over my shoulder confirmed what I knew: that Brian was running at me full tilt. “Hold that for me,” I told her before I started running as fast as I could across the large backyard. “Oh come on guys, give it a rest,” I begged as I turned around and searched for a way back to the house.

“You’re not getting out of this one,” Brian replied happily, taking a step forward every time I took a step back. “I have you cornered.”

“Kevin, a little help over here,” I begged.

From where he was sitting, Kevin lifted his sunglasses and looked in our direction. With a dismissive wave of his hand he said, “You’re fine.”

“Kevin, come on!” I bounced my weight from foot to foot, getting ready to make my move. He merely smiled and went back to talking to a blond woman. Sighing, I made a move as if I were going left. When Brian moved to block me I quickly did a pirouette out of the way and ran past him, laughing all the way. “Ha ha! You gotta work on your agility, Bri!” I taunted him. My taunt was cut short when I ran right into Nick who grabbed me and lifted me off the ground. “How did I not see this coming?” I groaned and wiggled to try and get out of his grasp. “Guys—come on! I thought you were over this.”

“You thought wrong,” Brian replied before wrapping his arms around me and the two started to squeeze the life out of me. “Macaroni Sandwich,” he said happily and then finally let me go.

“I think you bruised a rib,” I groaned, rubbing at my chest.

“You’ll be fine,” Nick said with a dismissive wave of his hand. “Now come on, I want you to meet my family.” He grabbed my wrist and practically yanked me over to the table that was by the pool which was covered by a big umbrella. His family sat around the table and I noticed they all differed from having blond or brown hair. “Mom, Dad, guys, this is my friend Mack. Ok, this is my mom, Jane,” he said and pointed at the blond woman.

“Nice to meet you,” I said with a smile as I shook her hand.

“It’s nice to meet you as well,” she said pleasantly.

“That’s my dad, Bob,” Nick said and pointed to the man who stood. He walked over to me and gave me a hug.

“Oh, um, it’s nice to meet you too,” I said as I patted his back.

“What’s the matter? Your other arm doesn’t work?” He chuckled and then I gave him a proper hug. “So you’re the girl that Nick—“

“Dad, you can let go of her,” Nick interrupted him with a grumble. Bob chuckled and sat back down in his chair. “This is Bobbie Jean, but we call her BJ. She’s sixteen.”

“Oh, finally someone else my age,” I said as I gave her a wave.

“It’s about time,” BJ commented with a small smile.”Nick used to bring around girls so much older than me.”

I lifted my eyebrows. “Oh yeah? How many?”

“BJ, knock it off,” Nick hissed. I smirked as he mumbled something about her not knowing what she was talking about. “That’s Leslie, she’s eleven.”

“I turn twelve in June,” she grumbled, sticking out her tongue. Nick returned the gesture and she cracked a smile.

“And the little one is Angel, Aaron’s twin.”

“I didn’t know Aaron had a twin,” I said as I gave her a little wave.

“Most people don’t,” she replied with a little shrug.

“Yeah, that’s ‘cause Aaron’s from another planet,” Leslie commented. BJ and Angel laughed as Leslie grinned.

“Leslie!” Jane hissed.

“What?” She asked innocently.

“So how’d you meet these guys?” BJ asked, nodding in the direction of the pool where Kevin, AJ, Howie, and Brian were now playing chicken.

“I met them back in Germany last year,” I replied. “Johnny introduced us.”

“Ah, yes. You’re a dancer, right?” Bob asked. I nodded. “How long have you been dancing.”

“Fourteen years, give or take a year,” I said while shuffling my feet.

“And now you’re choreographing for Nicky,” Leslie noted and took a sip of her lemonade.

“Well, whenever they need my help, yes. I helped Fatima with a few of their songs and stuff, I didn’t do as much as she does but I was her assistant.”

“She’s being too modest,” Nick said as he nudged me. “She helped out a lot. She helped choreograph our tour, too. And now she’s going to be a singer. Have you heard her song yet?”

“That “Pressure” one?” BJ asked. “Yeah, we just heard it on the radio!”

“Why has everyone else heard it but me?” I cried out, throwing my arms into the air. “It’s my dang song.”

“The buildup will be worth it,” Nick said as he stole a strawberry off of BJ’s plate. She slapped his arm and he chewed happily. I smiled at the exchange.

“What else do you do?” Jane asked.

“Umm, dance mainly. It’s all I’ve been doing for a while,” I replied, fighting the urge to bite my nail. “Well, I ride horses too.”

Angel’s eyes lit up. “You ride hroses? Way cool! I’ve always wanted to ride a horse,” she gushed. “Do you own one?”

“Yeah, her name’s Bluebelle. I’ve had her since I was four but she’s back in Memphis,” I replied.

“Have you been in any competitions?”

“A few here and there.”

“What’re they like?” Leslie asked, breaking her silence as she studied me.

“They’re hard work but a lot of fun. I like to jump so Bluebelle and I enter those portions of the competition the most but we do dressage as well as the basics,” I explained.

“Can you teach me to ride one day?” Angel asked.

I shrugged. “Sure, maybe on one of my breaks.”

“Yes!” She cheered and punched her fists into the air.

“Well, go relax and have some fun, don’t let us old folks slow you down,” Bob chuckled and put his arm around the back of Jane’s chair.

“Hey Mack, want to see me do a flip into the pool?” Angel asked. “Aaron can’t do one yet,” she added, proudly.

“Sure, just give me a few minutes, ok?”

“OK.”

I walked around the pool to where Leighanne was laying down on a pool chair, dark sunglasses shielded her eyes and she held a magazine up to her face. “Hey thanks,” I said as I moved my knapsack onto the ground and sat down next to her.

“What was that sandwich thing about?” She asked with a laugh, lifting her sunglasses.

“Oh, Nick and Brian always did that last summer. Basically it was their way of scaring the crap out of me while saying ‘hi’,” I replied with an eye roll, pulling my hair back into a ponytail.

“They act like little puppies around you,” she noted. She laughed and then added, “Well, Brian’s always like that so there’s not much of a difference.” I chuckled. “Oh yeah, your phone kept ringing.”

“Really?” I dug through my bag and pulled out my phone. Shielding it from the sun I noticed that I had seven missed calls and a voice message. “Geeze, guys, I’m not a baby,” I muttered when I noticed the calls were from JC and Justin. I brought my phone up to my ear and waited for the message to start playing. I froze when Bobbie’s cold voice drifted into my ear.

What did I tell you about talking with Joshua? I guess him being my boyfriend doesn’t mean anything to you. I guess I’ll just have to teach you a lesson.” Then she added sweetly, “Enjoy your little vacation, I can’t wait to see you tomorrow.”

I removed my phone from my ear and stared at it a bit. “Hey Leigh,” I started slowly. “I need some advice.”

“Boy problems?” She guessed.

“I guess so,” I mumbled. I hesitated when trying to get the words I wanted to say out of my mouth but it was hard. I hadn’t even admitted what I was going to say to her to myself just yet. “Say…you like this guy and he’s your friend. You’ve known him for a while but your feelings about him changed. And then say you like another guy, whom you just met and—“

“Say no more,” she interrupted me. “Go with the second guy.”

“Why’s that?” I asked.

She grinned. “If you liked the first guy as much as you think you wouldn’t have fallen for the second, now would you?”

“You’re too smart for your own good,” I muttered. “Must be one of the reasons why Brian adores you so much?”

“Oh stop,” she chuckled while blushing.

“Hey Mack, do you want some lemonade or something?” Nick called to me.

“Sure,” I said as I stood.

“I can get it.”

“Thanks, but I can get it.”

“Ok, it’s in the fridge.”

I went into the house and finally found the kitchen after a few wrong turns. I grabbed a glass off the little island in the middle of the kitchen and went to the fridge. I pulled out the pitcher and poured the lemonade into my cup. I replaced it, closed the door, turned around, and jumped in fright when I saw who was standing behind me. I heard the glass shatter once it fell from my grip and hit the floor.

“Lou!” I gasped.

Chapter End Notes:
Please review. Any questions about this story or me as a writer can go to my formspring (which is now on my profile).


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers sequel bestfriendj tourj brotherlylove debutsync originalcharacter boybands