Author's Chapter Notes:
"Girl I know you  think no one sees the weight on your shoulders, but you can't fool me. And aren't you tired of standing so tall? Let me be the one to catch you when you fall."

JC wiped the sweat off of his forehead with his arm as he waited to hear the reason they were being stopped this time. He had no doubt that they were being stopped because Mack was going to criticize him for something else he did wrong. So far she’s yelled at him for being a half-step behind, for changing the choreography slightly, and simply for making a suggestion.

She kept her finger pressed on the pause button of the boom box that was sitting to her left as she scanned the slightly panting group of boys. They shifted their weight from foot to foot as they waited for her to critique them or, worse, make them start over from the beginning. The only sound that filled the room was the sound of her fingers tapping against the hardwood floors. Wade sat quiet in a corner watching the rehearsal. The two choreographers had an agreement, when the boys were working on their specific song the other would sit back and watch, giving little critiques here and there.

“Guys, you have to get this down by Monday and that’s three days away if you didn’t know,” she said slowly. The guys could tell by the way she was breathing that she was trying to stay calm. “You need to get this down so it won’t be hard to figure out where to go once we start practicing on the stage. OK?” They nodded. “Ok. You’re done. Do whatever.”

“If it’s any consolation they’re going to look really good on stage once they take your critique and apply it,” Wade said in a low voice as he watched Mack slip CDs back into the sleeve of the large case she held in her hand.

“Stop sucking up, I’m all ready making an exception for you,” she commented with a small smile.

“Busted,” he said and laughed a bit. “I’ll get that.” He grabbed the handle of the boom box and easily lifted it off of the ground. “So, um, when do you get your sling off?” He asked, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Today, actually. That’s why practice is over early,” she explained, securing her shoulder bag and made sure the strep rested comfortably against her chest. “I’m going to the doctor now. There is a very slight chance I still have to wear it but I’m sure I don’t have to so I can finally dance again.”

“I still don’t get why your doctor wouldn’t let you. I mean, technically you don’t use your arms as much as you use your feet.”

“Unless I need better momentum for turns,” she pointed out. She noticed JC hesitating by the door of the studio. “I’ll see you later, ok?”

“Tonight I hope.”

Mack nodded. “Right. Just give me a call once you think of something to do.”

“I will. Bye.”

“Bye.”

“You’re a big hypocrite you know that?” JC spoke up as soon Wade left the room. Mack lifted an eyebrow. “’I don’t mix business with pleasure’,” he recited, trying to imitate her voice. “So you’re going out with Wade but you won’t even give me a chance? You’re a hypocrite.”

She slowly shook her head. “Sounds to me like you’re jealous.”

“Damn right I am,” he replied, which shocked her. She kinda thought he’d deny it, most boys don’t ever admit when they’re jealous. Of course, most guys don’t confess their love out of the blue either. “You’re not being fair.”

“Life’s not fair. Now, if you don’t mind, I have to go to the doctor to get this sling off, which you put me in,” she called over her shoulder as she made her way to the door.

“How are you going to get there? You don’t have a car,” JC pointed out, following her.

“I’ll walk,” she replied.

“It’s six miles from here.” JC sighed. “At least let me drive you.”

“Why? The only thing that’s going to happen is you’re going to go running out of the room at the sign of anything that resembles a shot,” she replied, trying to hide the grin that was coming onto her face.

“That was one time ok?” He sighed in exasperation. He should have known that things wouldn’t be the same between them after his little ‘confession’. He hoped it would, but then again God was never really nice to him. “Fine. If you want to walk, go ahead, I don’t care.”

“You’re lying through your teeth, Chasez.” He didn’t think he was being that obvious. “You wouldn’t let me walk these Orlando streets by myself, even though it’s one of the safest places on the planet. I mean, really, what could happen when the happiest place on earth is practically right next door?”

“Crazy people go to Disney World you know.”

“Mhm, but the only reason you’re offering me a ride is so you can stop feeling guilty about what you did.” She had a knack of hitting the nail on the head, even if that was a part of the reason. Was it against the law to want to spend time with her, even though she was stomping on his heart by going out with Wade later? There was something about Wade that bothered him but he couldn’t put his finger on it.

 

~*~*~

 

“No, not that one.” Justin shook his head, turned his thumb upside down, and stuck out his tongue.

“You’ve hated everything I’ve picked out. You pick something then,” Mack said as she crossed her arms and sat down in the chair that was in the corner of her room. Justin jumped off of her bed and dashed into her closet as she chuckled. Justin didn’t really like showing it, but he had an eye for clothing and what went well with what. “Are you sure you’re ok with me going out with Wade?”

“Are you ok with it?” He called back.

“Yeah. I mean, I know what he did with Bobbie was wrong but I believe him when he says what he did was a mistake,” she replied.

“Let me guess, he sucked up to you until you let your guard down,” Justin said as he poked his head out of the closet. She shrugged and smiled coyly. “And yet at first you were complaining about him being a ‘baby’.”

“Stop lecturing me all ready!” She cried out and threw a pillow at him. He laughed and moved out of the way of the pillow.

“Ok, I got something and you can’t say no!” He called after a few minutes.

“Oh, that means I’m going to hate it,” she commented, moving over to her bed. She flinched when a hooded tee and a black skort were thrown at her. “Yup, I was right.”

“You’ll look hot,” Justin said as he walked out of the closet with a pair of shoes in his hands. “You gotta show off your legs more, they’re your second best asset, behind your eyes. You know what they say: If you’ve got it, flaunt it.” He sat down next to her and gently knocked shoulders with her. “You could at least pretend to be excited,” he commented sarcastically.

“I am. I’m just thinking about something,” she replied.

“JC?” He questioned. He didn’t wait for her answer. “You know how I’m against you liking anyone, but I really think you should give a chance,” he hesitated, waiting for her reaction. She remained silent. “I mean, you said so yourself that JC’s the type of guy you usually go after. And he’s been here for you whenever you needed help with anything. He loves you, Mack. He really does. He doesn’t say that about just anyone, you know. And you’re hurting him by doing this.”

“So you want me to just cancel with Wade and talk this out with Jace?” She asked after a few seconds of silence.

“No, I want you to understand how he feels. I want you to make your own decision. I’ll stand by it 100%, you know that,” he replied. He then grinned. “I just think it would be cool if you two got married. Your kids will have kick-butt blue eyes and they’ll be as musical as hell. And I can be their godfather!”

“You’ve been thinking about this for a while, haven’t you?” Mack asked with a laughed. He nodded and beamed. “Tell you what, I’ll talk to Jace after I get back, ok?”

“Ok, but you won’t find him here,” Justin said as he stood. “He’s staying at his place tonight, something about wanting to get some work done without the noise. If you need a ride afterwards, I’m a phone call away.”

“Ok. Leave so I can get changed.”

“Who said anything about me leaving?” he asked with a grin and raised eyebrows.

“I’m sure Brit would love to hear about your peeping on your best friend.” Mack laughed when he dashed out of the room in fear.

 

~*~*~

 

“So, what do you want to do now? I still have a few hours before the guys start calling to demand where I am,” Mack said as she got into Wade’s car.

He had picked her up at the house and had taken her to Oliver Garden, which was her favorite restaurant. She was kind of surprised that he had known that about her but didn’t question it. He probably got some of the information from Justin. They had a light conversation about how long the other danced, where their career has taken them, and what they wanted to do for the rest of their lives. Mack said she wanted to act a bit, maybe purse singing, but she ultimately wanted to have kids. Wade said that he would open up a camp for underprivileged children and teach them how to express themselves through dancing.

He then took her to a club where they went dancing. Instead of it being a normal club that she and the guys went to it was a club where they explored different types of dances. Wade was patient with her as they learned how to salsa dance, ballroom dance, waltz, and swing. They hadn’t left the dance floor the entire time they were there. Now that they were in his car Mack finally felt the effects in her aching feet.

“We could go somewhere and talk,” he suggested as they pulled out of the parking lot.

“Ok. The park?” She asked, rubbing her feet.

“Actually, I was thinking of my hotel room, there are fewer distractions that way,” he relied, glancing at her out of the corner of her eye. She was biting her lip and looking down at her lap. “We don’t have to go if you don’t want to,” he continued. “I can just drop you off at your place and we’ll call it a night.”

“Umm…no, we can talk a bit longer,” she said with a small smile. Wade smiled in return; turning left at the light and drove them to the hotel. The only sound in the car was the smooth jazz that was coming out of the radio.

Finally they pulled into the parking lot of the hotel. Mack smiled when Wade opened the door for her and gently took her elbow, leading her inside. “Relax.” Wade laughed a little when she hesitated in the door way. “So where do you want to live in the future?”

Mack instantly relaxed and found herself feeling comfortable talking to him despite where she was. Soon she found that she had lost track of time and needed to get home as soon as possible. Wade suggested she just stay there but she declined saying that the boys––Justin especially––would get worried and she wouldn’t want to keep them waiting up.

“I’ll drive you,” Wade offered.

“I don’t want you driving this late at night,” she replied, glancing out the window where the pitter-patter of rain against the windowsill filled the room. “I’ll just call a cab, it’s no big deal.”

“You’re not going to take a cab,” he replied a little firmly. “I don’t trust them at this time of night. I’d rather drive you.”

“I told you I’ll be fine. If it’ll ease your mind I’ll call you once I get home,” she said as she turned towards the door.

“Either I drive you or you’re not leaving!”

She turned around at his tone and raised her eyebrows. “I’m not leaving?” She repeated. He shook his head no.

“Not unless you let me drive you.”

She merely laughed a bit and turned back around. She reached her hand out for the door. Her knuckles barely grazed the knob when a blow to her back made her slam against the door. Her forehead throbbed with pain and tears immediately sprung to her eyes. She tried to turn around to see what had hit her but she felt a weight pressed against her back.

“You should’ve listened to me.”

 

~*~*~

 

JC grumbled under his breath as he forced himself off of his couch. The sound of fists pounding on his door along with the constant ringing of the doorbell was too much to ignore, even when he was in what the others called Josh Land. He was watching a video of one of their old shows to study and mentally perfect some moves of their songs that they were going to perform on this tour when the banging and ringing started.

“It’s 11:30 at night. Who the hell would bother me now?” he mumbled to himself as he made his way to the front door. “Better yet, who would deal with this rain to want to talk to me?” He grasped the doorknob and opened the door. His mouth fell open and his eye nearly popped out of his head when they rested on the sobbing, soaked figure in front of him. “Mack?” he whispered.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers affair unrequited missionary oral girlontop love bestfriendj firsttime nsasync challenge jealous triangles daddyjc brotherlylove breakupjc boyfriendjc originalcharacter