Author's Chapter Notes:

Life goes on, and before too long,
You figure out you're right where you belong.
Its sad and Its sweet,
But if youre lucky it keeps goin'
On and on and on.

My momma always said:
That there'll be lessons that you learn,
but you dont need to know more right now.
But im learning as i go,
And the more i learn i know,
The less i wanna know any how.

SONG: Life Goes On
Artist: Terri Clark

Sleeping on the couch had done a number on Justin’s back. He was sure he’d over done the alcohol the night before too. He woke up early with a pounding headache.

 

He stumbled in the kitchen to his grandmother, mother and girlfriend all sitting at the table, drinking coffee.

 

“Hit the ‘shine too hard last night?” his grandma asked, laughing.

 

“The ‘shine?” Jessica asked, looking toward the older lady.

 

“Moonshine darlin’. Ever tried it?”

 

“I most certainly have not!”

 

“Eh don’t go gettin’ all high and mighty, it’s a country folk thing.”

 

“Don’t start it Jessica,” Justin mumbled, sitting across from her.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“I said don’t start. You’re going to be here alone with them some today, don’t get on their bad side.”

”What? Where are you going?”

 

“I got some shit to do and take care of?”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Do you want to get all muddy and dirty again?”

 

“No.”

“Then don’t worry about it.”

”Fine,” she grumbled and stormed off to the living room.

 

“Where ya going today boy?” his grandmother asked.

 

“To see Payton. Last thing I need is drama with Jessica and I know Payton would snap on her in a heartbeat. I’m playin’ it safe.”

 

His grandmother laughed. “Good thinkin’.”

   

He finally made it out of the house and started the drive to the Anderson’s farm. Memories of the group riding their bikes down the old roads flooded his mind and brought a smile to his face. The field they used to play ball in, where he saw Payton his a boy for the first time, was now over grown with weeds and grass.

 

He finally parked his car next to the same truck Payton’s dad had had for the past fifteen years.

 

“Can I help you son?”

 

He turned around and saw a man coming toward him on an all white horse. “I-“

 

“Well I’ll be. Justin Timberlake, how ya doin’ kid?”

 

“Mornin’ Mr. Anderson.”

”I heard you was back in town. Didn’t figure I’d see you around here though.”

 

The way Steve Anderson talked always reminded him of Jed Clampett from the Beverly Hillbillies. “Why not?”

 

Steve froze, getting off the horse. “No one told you?”

 

Justin shook his head. “Told me what?”

 

“Payton doesn’t live here anymore. I mean she’s here all the time, but got her a little house in town now.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Steve knew then no one had told him anything about Payton and what all had happened since he’d left those three years ago.

 

“Is Deanna around? Say hi while I’m here.”

 

“Sure is. Believe she’s inside baking a pie and making cookies,” Steve said and winked.

 

“Blueberry?”

 

“Had her three baskets of them earlier.”

”Yes! I’ll see ya around Steve.”

 

Justin walked into the house without knocking and headed straight for the kitchen. “Smells good in here!”

 

The woman at the sink jumped and turned around. “Oh Justin!” She ran over to hug him. “Trying to give this old lady a heart attack?”

 

“Sorry De. Does smell good though.”

 

“Well, have a slice then dear! Me and Kody just made it.”

 

“Kody?” he asked, confused. Just then a little girl came running in, her blond curls bouncing. “Ah, babysitting these days?”

 

“Something like that,” she said and sat a slice of pie in front of him.

 

“Steve said Payton’s not living here?”

 

“No,” the older lady sighed.

 

“When did she move?”

”Oh, almost two years ago now?”

 

“Wow. I’ve been gone way too long. Is she working at Waylon’s today?”

 

“Yep, till 4:00.”

 

Justin looked at his watch and nodded. “Better get going then.”

”It was nice seeing you again,” Deanna said and hugged him.

 

“I’ll be back around, promise.” He looked at the little girl sitting on the floor playing with a doll. “Cute kid. Love her blond curls.”

 

“She’s a sweetheart.”

 

“Looks like it. I’ll see ya around,” and he walked out the door.

   

Justin walked into the waiting area of the old garage. It was the only one in the small town that was strictly a garage and not a gas station also. The old man at the counter looked up from the newspaper he was reading, he grey beard now reaching down to his chest.


”Hey Waylon,” Justin greeted.

 

“Hey boy. What’s going on?”

 

“Not much. Just back in town for awhile.”

 

“I heard. Why you comin’ ‘round here?”

 

Justin smiled. “Heard you got a hot blond girl working here now.”

 

Waylon laughed. “Sure do. Mean as hell too.”

 

“Always has been. She in the shop?”

 

“Yeah, under the Buick.”

 

“Thanks Waylon.”

 

Justin walked in the shop, not seeing anyone else around. He stopped by the Buick and kicked the boots that were on the feet showing from under the car.

 

“I’m almost done. Go wait in the waiting area, I’ll let you know when it’s done.”

 

Justin smiled. “I’m not here for the car.”

 

She froze, then slowly slid out from under the car. Her dark grey coveralls were covered in sweat, oil and grease, and her pretty blond hair was pulled into a ponytail, dirt and grease in it. “Hey superstar,” she smiled, her white teeth almost sparkling. She slid back under the car, continuing her work on the car. “You need your car worked on?”

 

“No, it’s fine.”

 

“Why are you here then?”

 

“Well, I went by your house to see you, only to hear you didn’t live there anymore. My mom said you were working here, so I came to see you.”

 

“Yeah, I’m renting the Jenkins' old house over off Mayberry.”

 

“Why Payton?”

 

“Needed more space.” She slid out from under the car. “Why’d you come to see me?”

 

“I wanted to see one of my best friends.”

 

“Best friend? The one you couldn’t ever call, then had your number changed and didn’t give anyone?”

 

Justin looked at her, the hurt written all over her face. “I’m sorry Payton,” he whispered.

 

“Whatever, it’s fine. I’m over it.”

 

He took a deep breath. “So, what have you been up to?” Why was this so hard for him? It was just Payton, the same girl he’s known for forever.

 

“Just working to make a life.”

 

“Bobby said you guys date for awhile. What happened with that?”


Payton sighed. “I didn’t love him like he loved me. I didn’t have the time to try to, so I ended it.”

 

Justin looked at her, trying to figure out what was lying behind her pretty blue eyes. “What happened to you the three years I was gone?”

 

“Life happened!” she screamed at him.

 

“You had a great life when I left!”

 

“Living off my mom and dad? That’s a great life?”

 

“That’s what kids are supposed to do Pay.”

 

“Look Justin, you went out and made your money and a name for yourself. We don’t all get that lucky and have to make do with what we’re dealt.”

 

“I’m sorry Payton,” he whispered, not knowing what was wrong with her.


”So am I,” she snapped.

 

They were both quiet a few moments, regaining their composure. Then he spoke up. “If I would have known leaving would cause all this tension I wouldn’t have done it.”

 

She glared at him. “Yes you would have. We’d have all made you if you would’ve tried to stay.”

He laughed. “I don’t doubt that at all.”

 

“Look, I gotta finish the transmission up on the piece of shit. Are you going out on the river with the guys tomorrow?”

 

“I didn’t know they were going but I’m sure I’ll probably be dragged alone, why?”

 

“We’ll talk more then, ok?”

 

“Yeah.” He leaned over and quickly hugged her, her not returning it. “See ya tomorrow kiddo,” he said and left.

 

Neither know what to do. Justin wasn’t sure how to fix the tension between him and Payton, and he didn’t know why flashbacks of that night kept hitting him. He’d slept with quite a few girls before and after, why was it that one night? Payton wasn’t sure he was ready for the truth and everything that’d happened to her in the three years he’d been gone. They both know, however, that the truth would show its ugly face sooner or later.

Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think! Please and thank you haha


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: boyfriendj southernj