Story Notes:

Author's Chapter Notes:

 


Down home, where they know you by name
And treat you like family
Down home, a man's good word and hand shake
Are all you need
Folks know if they're falling on hard times
They can fall back on
Those of us raised up down home


When I was a boy, I couldn't wait to leave this place
But now I want to see my children raised down home, down home

Folks know if they're falling on hard times
They can fall back on
Those of us raised up...

SONG: DOWN HOME
ARTIST: ALABAMA

”I can’t believe I let you drag me here,” Jessica whined from the passenger seat of her boyfriend’s BMW.

 

“Relax, honey. You’re only going to be here for two weeks, then you’re going back to L.A. before heading to Italy. It won’t be that bad,” Justin Timberlake silently promised her.

 

She rolled her eyes, and watched out the window as they continued down the dusty dirt road.

 

The sun was quickly sinking in the sky, painting it beautiful shades of pinks and oranges. When the two story brick house came into view, the sun setting behind it, it was almost picture perfect. It took Justin’s breath away as he continued down the drive.

 

As soon as the car was parked, two large chocolate lab dogs and three puppies came running out to him. “Hey guys!” he greeted happily, giving each of the dogs equal amounts of attention.

 

“Friends of yours?” Jess mumbled, almost appalled by the dogs.

 

“Daisy and Muddy are. Those are their puppies my mom said were born like three months ago.”

Justin grabbed his two bags as well as a couple of Jess’s seven and walked to the door.

 

“Hey mom,” he said, walking into the house, seeing the woman coming down the stairs.

 

“Oh honey!” she gushed, running up and hugging her son. “It’s so good to have you back!”

 

“It’s only for six weeks mom,” he told her and kissed her.


That’s when Jessica cleared her throat.

 

“Mom, this is my girlfriend Jessica. Baby this is my amazing mama, Lynn Harless.”

 

“Mrs. Harless,” Jessica greeted, holding her hand out.

 

“Call me Lynn dear.” The woman ignored the outstretched hand in front of her and pulled the young woman into a tight embrace.

 

“Where’s granny at mom?”

 

“Oh, she’s at bingo with her friends. She’ll be back around midnight.”

 

As Justin and his mom talked, Jessica took in the house. The pine hardwood flooring, the dark cream colored walls, brown furniture and the accents. The fire place in the living room looked as if it hadn’t been used in years, even though it was the middle of July. It had a down home country feel to it, and she didn’t like it. Even the fresh country air she didn’t like.

 

“You guys go get your belongings settled in. Dinner will be ready in a few minutes,” Lynn said, a huge smile on her face.

 

“The guest room?” Justin stated more than asked as he began gathering up their bags and suitcases.

 

“Oh, I thought you’d use your old room. I didn’t get the guest room ready.”

 

The smile slowly faded from his face. “Oh, ok. That’s fine mom.”

 

They made their way up the stairs and into his old room. The blue walls greeted him, the white furniture embarrassingly juvenile to him now. His old posters and frames were all still in their original place. He hadn’t slept in that room in three years, much less been in it. Since his last night there, with her. The first and only girl that’d been in his bed.

 

“Justin? Are you ok?” Jessica asked, clearing his head.

 

“Huh? Yeah I’m fine. Why don’t you go get the rest of your bags before dinner babe?”

 

“Ok,” she huffed, walking out of the room.

 

Justin sat on his bed, grabbing a pillow and taking a trip down memory lane.

 

 The hot July moon had sank in the sky, everything dark but for the light of the full moon. Justin and one of his best friends were sitting on the bank of the river, fishing in the moonlight on his last night there. “I can’t believe you’re leaving tomorrow and moving to California,” she whined. “I know, it’s insane.” “When are you coming back?” “No clue. Maybe never,” he joked. “Not funny Timberlake! You’ll forget all about us out here, get you a big shot girlfriend and we’ll never see you again.” “I came back after *NSYNC. And the first album.” “So?” “Aww, I’ll come back and visit. I promise girl.” “And I’ll still be the same innocent girl as now because all the boys are intimidated by me.”

”Whoa, whoa, wait! Innocent? As in you’re a virgin?” He was surprised.
 “Yeah,” she told him laughing. “I had no idea. Poor girl.” They were quiet for a few minutes watching the water. Suddenly she grabbed his hand, putting it on her thigh. “By my first Timberlake,” she whispered. “What?!” “Be my first. You’re my best friend, and I trust you more than I ever will some other guy.” “You sure?” She leaned over and kissed him. “Yes.” They slowly made love on the riverbank that night. She stayed the night with him at his house, where they made love twice more before he had to leave.  

 

“Justin?” He jumped, then turned toward the door, seeing his mom standing there.

 

“What?”

”You ok? I’ve been calling you for almost five minutes.”

”I’m fine mom. Just tired from the drive is all.”

 

“Oh, ok. Jessica needs help with her bags, and dinner is done.”

 

He went and helped his girlfriend bring in the rest of her belongings, then they sat down to eat as Paul walked in.

 

“Hey old man,” Justin greeted him as they hugged.

 

“I got your old man,” he laughed, the turned to Jessica. “Who’s this doll?”

 

“This is my girlfriend, Jessica. This is my step-dad Paul.”

 

“Nice to meet you,” she smiled.

 

“Same to you.”


They sat down and began eating, Lynn and Paul filling Justin in on the last three years. “The boys are still wild as ever. Billy and Bobby are working at the mill, Kyle, Chance, James and Kevin still do work around the farms. They come here every year to hunt with Paul, even if it’s just for one day.”

 

“I should come back in November. Try to get that ten-pointer I used to always see.”

 

“He’s gone,” Paul said and took a bite.

 

“What? Who got ‘em?”

 

It was the deer Justin had been after since he was eight. The deer would always appear wherever Justin was, and he always somehow managed to miss the buck.

 

“Payton did. Last year.”

 

“Huh. I figured Bobby would have. He always said he would first.”

”Nope, it was Payton. Shared the meat with us though.”

 

Justin’s curiosity got the better of him. “How’s she doing?”

 

Lynn and Paul both shared a look before Lynn spoke up. “She’s good. Working at Waylon’s shop, showing up the boys. Same as usual.”

 

“Her family still live off Old 322?”

 

“Yep. Got a thorough bred last year they’re making quite a bit off of.”

”Might have to swing by and say hi.”

 

Lynn smiled. “You should. She’s missed her fishing buddy.”

 


After dinner, Justin took Jess outside and made a little fire in the pit on the patio. “So, whatcha think so far?” he asked, opening a beer.

 

“It’s…not California,” she told him, trying to hide her disgust.

 

“It’s so much better than Cali. I love it here, when I have kids, this is where I want them to grow up.”

”Here? Seriously Justin. Kids need to be in a city. Shopping, good schools, decent-“

 

“You hate it here, don’t you?” he interrupted her.

 

“Yeah, I do. I can’t believe you drug me here with you Justin!”

 

“I wanted you to meet my family. See my background.”

”I wouldn’t publicly announce this is your background.”

 

“Damn it Jess! Would you stop?”

 

“Stop what? I’m stuck here in hillbilly hell for two god damn weeks and I’m not happy about it!”

 

“Then leave,” he whispered.

 

“What?”

 

“Leave. I’ll take you to the airport, you can catch a flight back to California.”

 

“And leave you here?”

 

“Yeah. I’m here for six weeks, I’m not leaving. Three years were far too many to be gone.”

 

They sat there quiet for a few minutes. Jessica was trying to figure out what to do, Justin content being home and not caring if she stayed or left.

 

“I’ll stay a few more days,” she whispered, grabbing his hand.

 

“You don’t have to-“

”It’s important to you. I’ll deal a few more days. I won’t see you for four months after I leave, I want to spend time with you.”

 

“Ok” he smile and quickly kissed her.

 

“Can we go to bed? I’m exhausted.”

 

:”Yeah, go on up honey. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

Jessica quickly went inside to get ready for bed. Justin finished his beer, put out the fire and quietly went inside to get ready for bed. He crawled in bed next to Jessica, and rolled over, facing away from her.

 

“Who’s this Payton girl?” Jessica quietly asked, scooting closer to him.


”She was one of my best friends before I left.”

”What did your mom mean by intimidating guys still?”

 

“She’s just one of the boys. Has been since as long as I can remember. Can out shoot half the guys around here. Knows everything about fishing. A sports freak. Knows her way around a garage.”

 

“Did you guys ever-“

 

“I’m going to bed. Goodnight,” he snapped and quickly closed his eyes. He pretended to be asleep until he knew his girlfriend was asleep.

 

His mind quickly flashed back to the blond girl that had slept in that bed with him. The way she moved under him, the moans of pleasure he’d caused. He still clearly remembered her face the second he’d taken her virginity. The tears streaming down her face, her eyes shut tightly, trying to block out the pain. He even remembered the way her tears had felt and tasted on his lips as he’d kissed them away.

 

He hadn’t really thought of that night much in the past three years, until he walked into his old bedroom. He wiped away a tear, then fell asleep with the girls face in his mind, as his girlfriend slept beside him.

Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: boyfriendj southernj