That Summer by ladybugs26
Summary: One summer, two bodies entwined on the river bank.... Justin is finally coming home for awhile after being gone for three years. He's bringing his girlfriend to meet his family and friends and see where he was brought up before he asks her to marry him. Until that summer night starts haunting his memories and he finds out why. He'll be forced to make an ultimate choice of continuing his career or hanging it all up for good.
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 14695 Read: 13687 Published: Jun 13, 2009 Updated: Jul 05, 2009
Story Notes:

1. Chapter 1-Down Home by ladybugs26

2. Chapter 2-Where the Blacktop Ends by ladybugs26

3. Chapter 3-Life Goes On by ladybugs26

4. Chapter 4 by ladybugs26

5. Chapter 5-County Fair by ladybugs26

6. Chapter 6-All Summer Long by ladybugs26

7. Chapter 7 by ladybugs26

Chapter 1-Down Home by ladybugs26
Author's Notes:

 


Down home, where they know you by name
And treat you like family
Down home, a man's good word and hand shake
Are all you need
Folks know if they're falling on hard times
They can fall back on
Those of us raised up down home


When I was a boy, I couldn't wait to leave this place
But now I want to see my children raised down home, down home

Folks know if they're falling on hard times
They can fall back on
Those of us raised up...

SONG: DOWN HOME
ARTIST: ALABAMA

”I can’t believe I let you drag me here,” Jessica whined from the passenger seat of her boyfriend’s BMW.

 

“Relax, honey. You’re only going to be here for two weeks, then you’re going back to L.A. before heading to Italy. It won’t be that bad,” Justin Timberlake silently promised her.

 

She rolled her eyes, and watched out the window as they continued down the dusty dirt road.

 

The sun was quickly sinking in the sky, painting it beautiful shades of pinks and oranges. When the two story brick house came into view, the sun setting behind it, it was almost picture perfect. It took Justin’s breath away as he continued down the drive.

 

As soon as the car was parked, two large chocolate lab dogs and three puppies came running out to him. “Hey guys!” he greeted happily, giving each of the dogs equal amounts of attention.

 

“Friends of yours?” Jess mumbled, almost appalled by the dogs.

 

“Daisy and Muddy are. Those are their puppies my mom said were born like three months ago.”

Justin grabbed his two bags as well as a couple of Jess’s seven and walked to the door.

 

“Hey mom,” he said, walking into the house, seeing the woman coming down the stairs.

 

“Oh honey!” she gushed, running up and hugging her son. “It’s so good to have you back!”

 

“It’s only for six weeks mom,” he told her and kissed her.


That’s when Jessica cleared her throat.

 

“Mom, this is my girlfriend Jessica. Baby this is my amazing mama, Lynn Harless.”

 

“Mrs. Harless,” Jessica greeted, holding her hand out.

 

“Call me Lynn dear.” The woman ignored the outstretched hand in front of her and pulled the young woman into a tight embrace.

 

“Where’s granny at mom?”

 

“Oh, she’s at bingo with her friends. She’ll be back around midnight.”

 

As Justin and his mom talked, Jessica took in the house. The pine hardwood flooring, the dark cream colored walls, brown furniture and the accents. The fire place in the living room looked as if it hadn’t been used in years, even though it was the middle of July. It had a down home country feel to it, and she didn’t like it. Even the fresh country air she didn’t like.

 

“You guys go get your belongings settled in. Dinner will be ready in a few minutes,” Lynn said, a huge smile on her face.

 

“The guest room?” Justin stated more than asked as he began gathering up their bags and suitcases.

 

“Oh, I thought you’d use your old room. I didn’t get the guest room ready.”

 

The smile slowly faded from his face. “Oh, ok. That’s fine mom.”

 

They made their way up the stairs and into his old room. The blue walls greeted him, the white furniture embarrassingly juvenile to him now. His old posters and frames were all still in their original place. He hadn’t slept in that room in three years, much less been in it. Since his last night there, with her. The first and only girl that’d been in his bed.

 

“Justin? Are you ok?” Jessica asked, clearing his head.

 

“Huh? Yeah I’m fine. Why don’t you go get the rest of your bags before dinner babe?”

 

“Ok,” she huffed, walking out of the room.

 

Justin sat on his bed, grabbing a pillow and taking a trip down memory lane.

 

 The hot July moon had sank in the sky, everything dark but for the light of the full moon. Justin and one of his best friends were sitting on the bank of the river, fishing in the moonlight on his last night there. “I can’t believe you’re leaving tomorrow and moving to California,” she whined. “I know, it’s insane.” “When are you coming back?” “No clue. Maybe never,” he joked. “Not funny Timberlake! You’ll forget all about us out here, get you a big shot girlfriend and we’ll never see you again.” “I came back after *NSYNC. And the first album.” “So?” “Aww, I’ll come back and visit. I promise girl.” “And I’ll still be the same innocent girl as now because all the boys are intimidated by me.”

”Whoa, whoa, wait! Innocent? As in you’re a virgin?” He was surprised.
 “Yeah,” she told him laughing. “I had no idea. Poor girl.” They were quiet for a few minutes watching the water. Suddenly she grabbed his hand, putting it on her thigh. “By my first Timberlake,” she whispered. “What?!” “Be my first. You’re my best friend, and I trust you more than I ever will some other guy.” “You sure?” She leaned over and kissed him. “Yes.” They slowly made love on the riverbank that night. She stayed the night with him at his house, where they made love twice more before he had to leave.  

 

“Justin?” He jumped, then turned toward the door, seeing his mom standing there.

 

“What?”

”You ok? I’ve been calling you for almost five minutes.”

”I’m fine mom. Just tired from the drive is all.”

 

“Oh, ok. Jessica needs help with her bags, and dinner is done.”

 

He went and helped his girlfriend bring in the rest of her belongings, then they sat down to eat as Paul walked in.

 

“Hey old man,” Justin greeted him as they hugged.

 

“I got your old man,” he laughed, the turned to Jessica. “Who’s this doll?”

 

“This is my girlfriend, Jessica. This is my step-dad Paul.”

 

“Nice to meet you,” she smiled.

 

“Same to you.”


They sat down and began eating, Lynn and Paul filling Justin in on the last three years. “The boys are still wild as ever. Billy and Bobby are working at the mill, Kyle, Chance, James and Kevin still do work around the farms. They come here every year to hunt with Paul, even if it’s just for one day.”

 

“I should come back in November. Try to get that ten-pointer I used to always see.”

 

“He’s gone,” Paul said and took a bite.

 

“What? Who got ‘em?”

 

It was the deer Justin had been after since he was eight. The deer would always appear wherever Justin was, and he always somehow managed to miss the buck.

 

“Payton did. Last year.”

 

“Huh. I figured Bobby would have. He always said he would first.”

”Nope, it was Payton. Shared the meat with us though.”

 

Justin’s curiosity got the better of him. “How’s she doing?”

 

Lynn and Paul both shared a look before Lynn spoke up. “She’s good. Working at Waylon’s shop, showing up the boys. Same as usual.”

 

“Her family still live off Old 322?”

 

“Yep. Got a thorough bred last year they’re making quite a bit off of.”

”Might have to swing by and say hi.”

 

Lynn smiled. “You should. She’s missed her fishing buddy.”

 


After dinner, Justin took Jess outside and made a little fire in the pit on the patio. “So, whatcha think so far?” he asked, opening a beer.

 

“It’s…not California,” she told him, trying to hide her disgust.

 

“It’s so much better than Cali. I love it here, when I have kids, this is where I want them to grow up.”

”Here? Seriously Justin. Kids need to be in a city. Shopping, good schools, decent-“

 

“You hate it here, don’t you?” he interrupted her.

 

“Yeah, I do. I can’t believe you drug me here with you Justin!”

 

“I wanted you to meet my family. See my background.”

”I wouldn’t publicly announce this is your background.”

 

“Damn it Jess! Would you stop?”

 

“Stop what? I’m stuck here in hillbilly hell for two god damn weeks and I’m not happy about it!”

 

“Then leave,” he whispered.

 

“What?”

 

“Leave. I’ll take you to the airport, you can catch a flight back to California.”

 

“And leave you here?”

 

“Yeah. I’m here for six weeks, I’m not leaving. Three years were far too many to be gone.”

 

They sat there quiet for a few minutes. Jessica was trying to figure out what to do, Justin content being home and not caring if she stayed or left.

 

“I’ll stay a few more days,” she whispered, grabbing his hand.

 

“You don’t have to-“

”It’s important to you. I’ll deal a few more days. I won’t see you for four months after I leave, I want to spend time with you.”

 

“Ok” he smile and quickly kissed her.

 

“Can we go to bed? I’m exhausted.”

 

:”Yeah, go on up honey. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

Jessica quickly went inside to get ready for bed. Justin finished his beer, put out the fire and quietly went inside to get ready for bed. He crawled in bed next to Jessica, and rolled over, facing away from her.

 

“Who’s this Payton girl?” Jessica quietly asked, scooting closer to him.


”She was one of my best friends before I left.”

”What did your mom mean by intimidating guys still?”

 

“She’s just one of the boys. Has been since as long as I can remember. Can out shoot half the guys around here. Knows everything about fishing. A sports freak. Knows her way around a garage.”

 

“Did you guys ever-“

 

“I’m going to bed. Goodnight,” he snapped and quickly closed his eyes. He pretended to be asleep until he knew his girlfriend was asleep.

 

His mind quickly flashed back to the blond girl that had slept in that bed with him. The way she moved under him, the moans of pleasure he’d caused. He still clearly remembered her face the second he’d taken her virginity. The tears streaming down her face, her eyes shut tightly, trying to block out the pain. He even remembered the way her tears had felt and tasted on his lips as he’d kissed them away.

 

He hadn’t really thought of that night much in the past three years, until he walked into his old bedroom. He wiped away a tear, then fell asleep with the girls face in his mind, as his girlfriend slept beside him.

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!
Chapter 2-Where the Blacktop Ends by ladybugs26
Author's Notes:

So, come on and give me some fresh air give me that farm
Give me some time with you in my arms
Far away from the hustle and the pressure and the noise

Gonna kick off my shoes
And run in bare feet
Where the grass and the dirt and the gravel all meet
Goin' back to the well gonna visit old friends
And feed my soul, you betcha

 

SONG: Where the Blacktop Ends
ARTIST: Keith Urban

Justin rolled over, taking a moment to remember where he was. Jessica wasn’t in the bed; she always was a morning person. He glanced at the clock on the table next to the bed- 9:45.


”Good morning sleepy head.”

 

He looked at the door and saw his mom standing there, smiling.

 

“Morning mama,” he groaned, stretching his body.


”Breakfast is ready when you get up and moving.”

”Jess down there?”

”Oh yes. She came down at 7:30 already showered and dressed. Was telling me about filming her new movie over it Italy.” Justin rolled his eyes, aggravated at her bragging. “Billy called this morning. Said they’d be here around 11 to pick you up and take you out.”

 

“Great,” he mumbled sarcastically, his mom laughing.

”Get up and get moving so you can eat first,” and she turned to go back downstairs.

 

He got up and went to his old dresser to see what was still in there. He grabbed an old pair of jeans, a tight fitting plane white t-shirt and his old work boots. After he showered, he put it all on, surprised it all still fit.

 

He walked downstairs, causing his girlfriend to nearly spit her coffee out all over. “What in God’s name are you wearing?”

 

He just shrugged. “Clothes.”

 

“Well yeah, but why those?”

 

“I don’t want to ruin good ones going out with the boys.”

 

Her jaw dropped. “What?”

 

“They’re coming by to catch up. Who knows what we’ll do.”

”I didn’t know-“

 

“You can come too. No big deal.”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes as she continued to sip her coffee. Lynn had been standing at the sink cleaning up dishes, listening to the whole discussion. She had a smile on her face at her son’s declaration of going out with is friends, and not giving in to his girlfriend. Even his girlfriend’s obvious disgust was causing a smile on her face.

 

~~~

The breakfast dishes weren’t even completely cleaned up when a truck came tearing down the rock drive, windows slightly rattling from the exhaust.

 

“11:00, right on time,” Lynn observed from the sink.

 

Jessica went and stood at the window, watching as Lynn and Justin cleaned up the dishes.

 

The old red Chevy came to a stop behind Justin’s BMW. The light bar, and grille guard transformed what might have been a decent truck as a truck that was deeply used for purposes other than driving and hauling.


She saw six guys climb out of the truck, all in old faded blue jeans and work boots, all in hats. Most had on plain white t-shirts like Justin’s, two were bare-chested, their farmer’s tans showing.

 

“I’m in hillbilly hell,” she mumbled, walking away from the window.

 

The front door opened, and they all walked right in, no knocking or calling hello.

 

“Hey Mama Lynn,” the biggest greeted, then they all looked at Justin. “Well look who it is!”


”The pretty boy from Cali came back!”

 

“Bout God damn time!”

 

“Yeah, yeah, I missed you fuckheads too!” Justin laughed as they all hugged.

 

“Who are you?” one of the men asked, almost glaring at Jessica.

 

“Guys, this is Jessica, my girlfriend. Baby this is Bobby, Billy, Kyle, Chance, James and Kevin.”


”Girlfriend?” three of them asked.

 

“Yeah.”

”But I thought-“ Kyle started, but Chance hit him mid-sentence making him shut up.

 

“Thought what?” Justin asked curiously.

 

“Nothin’. Ready to go raise some hell?”

 

Justin looked at Jessica. “Ready babe?”

 

“Sure,” she sighed, not the least bit impressed. She walked across the kitchen floor, her designer heels clicking loudly.

 

“This should be fun,” Kyle whispered to Bobby, both smiling mischievously.

 

Jessica walked over to Justin and took his arm, everyone walking outside.

 

“Where’s your beast at Bobby?” Justin asked, just seeing James’ truck.

 

“Engine got flooded. It’s at Waylon’s with Payton.”

 

“Ahh.”

 

James climbed in the driver’s seat as everyone else climbed in the bed of the truck. Justin helped Jessica up and had her sit against the back of the cab.

 

“Where the hell are we goin’?” Justin asked Chance sitting next to him.

 

“The old fishin’ hole. Got a couple coolers full of beer, the poles and all afternoon.”

 

Justin turned to look at his girlfriend and knew he’d hear about it later, but for the moment didn’t care. He was back home, out with his oldest friends and was perfectly happy.


They had to do some creek running to get to their fishin’ hole. They splashed through some of the deeper parts, water going everywhere. All the boys were cheering, then Justin remembered Jessica. He snuck a glance at her; she was glaring at him, her hair dripping wet, her designer clothes had water spots all over them.

 

“Shit,” Justin groaned quietly, knowing as ass chewing was coming his way soon.

 

When they finally arrived at their destination, everyone grabbed a fishing pole and a cooler and hopped out of the truck. Everyone that is, except Jessica. She slowly climbed out of the truck, her feet slipping on the rocks from her heels.

 

“Fucking assholes,” she muttered, tripping time after time as she made her way over to Justin.

 

“Hey baby,” she said smiling at her, knowing he was in deep shit.

 

“Fuck you,” she mumbled, making her way past him to a large rock in the sun. She laid on it, letting her hair and clothes begin to dry.

 

“She’s pissed,” Billy whispered to Chance, laughing.

 

“Oh well! She’s the one that came, she can deal with it.”

  

The boys spent the afternoon fishing and getting drunk off of all the beer they’d brought.

 

Finally around 6 PM, Jessica heard what she’d been waiting for all afternoon. “Come on baby, we’re leaving.”

 

She slowly made her way over to the truck, and this time climbed in the cab with James. She put the window up and sat quietly sat there.

 

This time, the guys got to talk since she was up front and couldn’t hear them.

 

“J, tell me she’s leaving soon,” Billy said, making Justin laugh.

 

“She’s here with me for two weeks, then has to go back home to get ready for Italy.”

 

“Two weeks! She couldn’t even handle today, how the hell is she going to last two weeks?”

 

“Give her a break guys. She’s a girl, and not used to this.”

 

“Payton’s a girl and likes this shit more than we do.”

 

Justin rolled his eyes. “Payton is an exception. She’s one of us.”

 

The guys kind of looked around at his statement, knowing he had no idea about her.

 

“Next time, leave her with your mom. Please dude?”

 

Justin laughed. “I was planning on it. She’s not too crazy about my mom’s house either.”

 

“Go figure.”

”Is Payton working tomorrow? I was gonna stop by and say hey.”

 

Chance bit his lip, trying to hide his smile. “I have no idea. She works some Saturdays, some she don’t.”

 

Justin nodded, curious about his friend’s reactions about Payton now. What’d happened in three years to make them seem almost uncomfortable about her?

 

“Wait, are one of you guys dating her?”

 

“Na. Bobby did for like three months last summer, but it was too weird for her.”

 

“Why was it weird? They’ve known each other for forever.”

 

“No one knows. She’s…changed.”

 

Justin looked over at Bobby, his eyes narrowing. “What’d you do?”

 

“I didn’t do anything!” he shouted, getting defensive. “I told her I loved her after three months, and she freaked out on me.”

 

At that moment he knew. He was almost positive he knew, but chose not to share. And maybe, just maybe, he thought, that their night together had been haunting her all this time. Like it’d been doing to him for only the last twenty-four hours.

 

~~

 

As they approached Justin’s house, the guys all started wishing him luck with his girlfriend. They weren’t shy with their disapprovals of her, or of him for choosing her. He knew then there was no way she’d cut it if they got married and moved back here like he wanted to do.

 

Once the truck stopped, Justin jumped out and Jessica slowly started climbing out of the cab. He went to help her, and she slapped his hand away. “Don’t touch me,” she growled.

 

He instantly withdrew his hand, and desperately wished he could jump back in the truck and leave with his friends. He knew she was going to scream and loose her temper as soon as they pulled away.

 

He followed her in the house, and she instantly stormed off up the stairs to the bathroom to take a shower. Lynn walked around the corner from the kitchen, looking at Justin with a smile on her face.

 

“She’s pissed,” Justin stated flatly at his moms curious look.

 

“I knew she would be. She’s not from this kind of background.”

 

“I just wanted her to get a feel of it. I didn’t expect her to get so pissed, she’s usually all for something new and fun.”

Lynn’s jaw dropped. “That’s not fun for her! I bet she’s never been in the back of a pick-up truck much less rode in a truck period. Does she even know what a fishing pole is?”

 

“Mom, not you too. I heard it all from the guys, I don’t need you doing it to. It was a mistake bringing her here, I get that now.”

 

“It’s not a mistake, I’m glad I got to meet her. Just….make better choices of when to take her and when to let her stay here.”

 

“She’s going to stay here tomorrow. I’m gonna go see Payton, I don’t need drama. She’s already asked about her, because it’s another girl.”

 

“That’s a good idea,” Lynn said, thinking they didn’t need to ever meet but not saying it out loud.

 

That’s when Jessica came walking down the stairs in the sundress Justin had bought her earlier in the summer. It cost quite a bit, and he was surprised she’d brought it with her. She walked past him and Lynn into the kitchen and threw her clothes away she’d had on earlier.

 

“Mud and water come out dear,” Lynn said, trying to be considerate.

 

“Not out of dry clean only clothes that cost more than that whole stupid truck was worth,” she replied, her nose going in the air. Then she turned to look at Justin. “And why did you drag me here, when you were just going to drag me out with your friends, ruin my clothes and ignore me?”

 

Lynn quickly excused herself and went upstairs as their quarrel started.

 

“I thought you might would enjoy it. I hang around all your friends, and get ignored. What’s the big deal?”

 

“What’s the big deal? Are you kidding me Justin?” she screamed.

 

“I didn’t know it’d piss you off. I’m sorry.”

 

“From now on, you go do your thing with your hick friends and leave me here. I don’t want anything to do with them. I can’t believe you used to be like that.”

”Used to be? Honey, that’s me. Out in California though there’s not many creeks or fishing holes to go to.”

 

“I like the Cali you better, and I can’t wait until we are both there together again.”

 

Justin rolled his eyes, and sighed. “I don’t know if I want to live in California anymore Jess. I miss being here, I’m-“

”Don’t you dare! We live in California. If you ever want to marry me, that is where we are living, no exceptions. I will not live in some little hoosier hillbilly town.”

 

There it was. The woman he thought he was in love with just shot his dream of moving back down. He quickly knew then that she wasn’t the one and he wasn’t going to marry her.

 

“Ok. I’m going to take a shower and get something to eat. You do what you want.” He brushed past her up the stairs.

 

He grabbed his clean clothes and locked himself in the bathroom. The last two days had been mentally exhausting for him. His feelings for Jessica were slowly dying down to nothing, the way everyone was being so weird about Payton was driving him crazy. He was almost scared to go see her tomorrow, afraid of what he would find.

 

When he walked back in the bedroom, Jessica was asleep in the bed. Early to bed, early to rise was what she always would say. Unless it was a big party and a bunch of her high and mighty friends were there, then she would stay up all night. Even their sex life was like that, it was always hurry up, I need to get to sleep or no honey, it’s too late.

 

He went down stairs, grabbed a bottle of the clear liquid Paul always kept hidden in a closet and went outside. He started a small fire in the fire pit and sat there, watching it, taking swig after swig of the liquid. He felt the warm fuzzy feeling starting, that’s when he stumbled his way into the living room. He fell on the couch and passed out in a drunken slumber, numb and oblivious to the world and his feelings for the time being.

 
Chapter 3-Life Goes On by ladybugs26
Author's Notes:

Life goes on, and before too long,
You figure out you're right where you belong.
Its sad and Its sweet,
But if youre lucky it keeps goin'
On and on and on.

My momma always said:
That there'll be lessons that you learn,
but you dont need to know more right now.
But im learning as i go,
And the more i learn i know,
The less i wanna know any how.

SONG: Life Goes On
Artist: Terri Clark

Sleeping on the couch had done a number on Justin’s back. He was sure he’d over done the alcohol the night before too. He woke up early with a pounding headache.

 

He stumbled in the kitchen to his grandmother, mother and girlfriend all sitting at the table, drinking coffee.

 

“Hit the ‘shine too hard last night?” his grandma asked, laughing.

 

“The ‘shine?” Jessica asked, looking toward the older lady.

 

“Moonshine darlin’. Ever tried it?”

 

“I most certainly have not!”

 

“Eh don’t go gettin’ all high and mighty, it’s a country folk thing.”

 

“Don’t start it Jessica,” Justin mumbled, sitting across from her.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“I said don’t start. You’re going to be here alone with them some today, don’t get on their bad side.”

”What? Where are you going?”

 

“I got some shit to do and take care of?”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Do you want to get all muddy and dirty again?”

 

“No.”

“Then don’t worry about it.”

”Fine,” she grumbled and stormed off to the living room.

 

“Where ya going today boy?” his grandmother asked.

 

“To see Payton. Last thing I need is drama with Jessica and I know Payton would snap on her in a heartbeat. I’m playin’ it safe.”

 

His grandmother laughed. “Good thinkin’.”

   

He finally made it out of the house and started the drive to the Anderson’s farm. Memories of the group riding their bikes down the old roads flooded his mind and brought a smile to his face. The field they used to play ball in, where he saw Payton his a boy for the first time, was now over grown with weeds and grass.

 

He finally parked his car next to the same truck Payton’s dad had had for the past fifteen years.

 

“Can I help you son?”

 

He turned around and saw a man coming toward him on an all white horse. “I-“

 

“Well I’ll be. Justin Timberlake, how ya doin’ kid?”

 

“Mornin’ Mr. Anderson.”

”I heard you was back in town. Didn’t figure I’d see you around here though.”

 

The way Steve Anderson talked always reminded him of Jed Clampett from the Beverly Hillbillies. “Why not?”

 

Steve froze, getting off the horse. “No one told you?”

 

Justin shook his head. “Told me what?”

 

“Payton doesn’t live here anymore. I mean she’s here all the time, but got her a little house in town now.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Steve knew then no one had told him anything about Payton and what all had happened since he’d left those three years ago.

 

“Is Deanna around? Say hi while I’m here.”

 

“Sure is. Believe she’s inside baking a pie and making cookies,” Steve said and winked.

 

“Blueberry?”

 

“Had her three baskets of them earlier.”

”Yes! I’ll see ya around Steve.”

 

Justin walked into the house without knocking and headed straight for the kitchen. “Smells good in here!”

 

The woman at the sink jumped and turned around. “Oh Justin!” She ran over to hug him. “Trying to give this old lady a heart attack?”

 

“Sorry De. Does smell good though.”

 

“Well, have a slice then dear! Me and Kody just made it.”

 

“Kody?” he asked, confused. Just then a little girl came running in, her blond curls bouncing. “Ah, babysitting these days?”

 

“Something like that,” she said and sat a slice of pie in front of him.

 

“Steve said Payton’s not living here?”

 

“No,” the older lady sighed.

 

“When did she move?”

”Oh, almost two years ago now?”

 

“Wow. I’ve been gone way too long. Is she working at Waylon’s today?”

 

“Yep, till 4:00.”

 

Justin looked at his watch and nodded. “Better get going then.”

”It was nice seeing you again,” Deanna said and hugged him.

 

“I’ll be back around, promise.” He looked at the little girl sitting on the floor playing with a doll. “Cute kid. Love her blond curls.”

 

“She’s a sweetheart.”

 

“Looks like it. I’ll see ya around,” and he walked out the door.

   

Justin walked into the waiting area of the old garage. It was the only one in the small town that was strictly a garage and not a gas station also. The old man at the counter looked up from the newspaper he was reading, he grey beard now reaching down to his chest.


”Hey Waylon,” Justin greeted.

 

“Hey boy. What’s going on?”

 

“Not much. Just back in town for awhile.”

 

“I heard. Why you comin’ ‘round here?”

 

Justin smiled. “Heard you got a hot blond girl working here now.”

 

Waylon laughed. “Sure do. Mean as hell too.”

 

“Always has been. She in the shop?”

 

“Yeah, under the Buick.”

 

“Thanks Waylon.”

 

Justin walked in the shop, not seeing anyone else around. He stopped by the Buick and kicked the boots that were on the feet showing from under the car.

 

“I’m almost done. Go wait in the waiting area, I’ll let you know when it’s done.”

 

Justin smiled. “I’m not here for the car.”

 

She froze, then slowly slid out from under the car. Her dark grey coveralls were covered in sweat, oil and grease, and her pretty blond hair was pulled into a ponytail, dirt and grease in it. “Hey superstar,” she smiled, her white teeth almost sparkling. She slid back under the car, continuing her work on the car. “You need your car worked on?”

 

“No, it’s fine.”

 

“Why are you here then?”

 

“Well, I went by your house to see you, only to hear you didn’t live there anymore. My mom said you were working here, so I came to see you.”

 

“Yeah, I’m renting the Jenkins' old house over off Mayberry.”

 

“Why Payton?”

 

“Needed more space.” She slid out from under the car. “Why’d you come to see me?”

 

“I wanted to see one of my best friends.”

 

“Best friend? The one you couldn’t ever call, then had your number changed and didn’t give anyone?”

 

Justin looked at her, the hurt written all over her face. “I’m sorry Payton,” he whispered.

 

“Whatever, it’s fine. I’m over it.”

 

He took a deep breath. “So, what have you been up to?” Why was this so hard for him? It was just Payton, the same girl he’s known for forever.

 

“Just working to make a life.”

 

“Bobby said you guys date for awhile. What happened with that?”


Payton sighed. “I didn’t love him like he loved me. I didn’t have the time to try to, so I ended it.”

 

Justin looked at her, trying to figure out what was lying behind her pretty blue eyes. “What happened to you the three years I was gone?”

 

“Life happened!” she screamed at him.

 

“You had a great life when I left!”

 

“Living off my mom and dad? That’s a great life?”

 

“That’s what kids are supposed to do Pay.”

 

“Look Justin, you went out and made your money and a name for yourself. We don’t all get that lucky and have to make do with what we’re dealt.”

 

“I’m sorry Payton,” he whispered, not knowing what was wrong with her.


”So am I,” she snapped.

 

They were both quiet a few moments, regaining their composure. Then he spoke up. “If I would have known leaving would cause all this tension I wouldn’t have done it.”

 

She glared at him. “Yes you would have. We’d have all made you if you would’ve tried to stay.”

He laughed. “I don’t doubt that at all.”

 

“Look, I gotta finish the transmission up on the piece of shit. Are you going out on the river with the guys tomorrow?”

 

“I didn’t know they were going but I’m sure I’ll probably be dragged alone, why?”

 

“We’ll talk more then, ok?”

 

“Yeah.” He leaned over and quickly hugged her, her not returning it. “See ya tomorrow kiddo,” he said and left.

 

Neither know what to do. Justin wasn’t sure how to fix the tension between him and Payton, and he didn’t know why flashbacks of that night kept hitting him. He’d slept with quite a few girls before and after, why was it that one night? Payton wasn’t sure he was ready for the truth and everything that’d happened to her in the three years he’d been gone. They both know, however, that the truth would show its ugly face sooner or later.

End Notes:
Let me know what you think! Please and thank you haha
Chapter 4 by ladybugs26
Author's Notes:

And it's funny how it`s the simple things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes
There`s no dollar sign on a piece of mind this I`ve come to know
So if you agree have a drink with me
Raise you glasses for a toast

To a little bit of chicken fried
Cold beer on a Friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio up
Well I`ve seen the sunrise
See the love in my woman`s eyes
Feel the touch of a precious child
And know a mother`s love

 

SONG: Chicken Fried
ARTIST: Zac Brown Band

 

 

It's shorter than I wanted it to be, but it's getting late so I shortened it. Things will make some sense soon, I promise. :)

Fishing on the river had always been one of their group’s favorite things to do. Even more so now that they were all legally able to drink and the sheriff stopped busting them.

 

The guys had picked Justin up at 10:15 to get to their spot by noon. Now, with three coolers loaded down with beer and their fishing poles, the seven guys were all content.

 

“Payton just sent me a text, she’ll be here in a little bit,” Kevin announced to them all.

 

“What happened to her while I was gone?” Justin just blurted out, still aggravated about yesterday.

 

They all looked at him, then continued with their fishing.

 

“I’m serious guys, someone start talking!”

 

“When she wants you to know, she’ll tell you,” Billy told him.

 

“You tell me! I went to see her yesterday and I felt like I didn’t know her.”

 

“In a way, you don’t know her anymore. A lot’s happened in three years.”

 

Just then a big black truck pulled up, and Payton jumped out. The little cut-off shorts and bikini top made Justin’s mind wonder back to that night again. Until Kyle jumped up.

 

“Where’s my baby at?”

 

The guys all carefully watched Justin to see his reaction as Payton turned and gently sat a little girl on the ground. The same little girl Justin had seen yesterday.

 

“Go see Uncle Kyle,” he heard Payton say. She turned toward the guys, smiling and laughing. Then she noticed Justin and froze. She hadn’t expected him to really go with the guys, but she was completely wrong.

 

“She had a daughter now?” he asked James in disbelief.

 

“Yep. And she’s the love of our lives,” Bobby said smiling as the little girl made her way over to him. “Hey munchkin,” he said as he kissed the top of her head.

 

Justin looked back toward Payton, watching her walk over carrying two chairs, two fishing poles, and two coolers, one of each littler for the little girl.

 

“You have a kid,” he said when she sat down by him.

 

She looked down and mumbled “yeah.”

 

“But…what…who…why-“

”I’m not getting into it right now,” she said firmly and Justin didn’t push it any further. “Kody, come here baby.” The little girl walked over and crawled in Payton’s lap. “Her name is Dakoda Lynn. Baby, this is mommy’s friend Justin.”

 

The little girl smiled and said a shy hi. Her smiled warmed Justin’s heart and he smiled. “You and grandma make some yummy pie,” he said, and she giggled.

 

“All ready Kody,” Payton said, handing her the little pink fishing pole.

 

“She fishes too?” Justin asked in amazement.

 

“Yep. Between me and them, how could she not?”

 

He watched as Kody tried casting her line. “Need some help?”

 

Kody shook her head yes and walked around her mom to him. To his surprise, she climbed up on his lap. “I no do it,” she said quietly, a pout forming on her lips. He smiled and helped her. Never in his life had he imagined a child could make him feel so content.

 

“Hey J, you should have one of those!” Chase said laughing.

 

“Na, I’m good. I’ll just borrow this one and get my kid fix.”

 

“I don’t think so!” Payton said, completely serious.

 

Kody spent most of the day hanging around Justin. They caught the biggest fish of the day on his line-a twelve pound flathead catfish.

 

“Payton’s for a fish fry tonight!” Billy shouted.

 

“No, no, no. Payton has to be at work at 7 AM. Not tonight boys.”

 

“Eh, you’re no fun,” Bobby said, and Payton flipped him off. “Been there, done that baby. Wouldn’t mind doing it again though.”

 

Justin turned, glaring at Bobby, as Payton laughed. He quickly turned the glare to Payton and she immediately stopped laughing.

 

“It was a joke dude, relax,” Bobby said, and smacked Justin’s arm.

 

“It’s not funny.”

 

“What crawled up your ass?” Payton asked, throwing her line back out.

 

He couldn’t tell her how much he’d been thinking of their last night together. At least not in front of everyone. “Nothing,” he mumbled, helping Kody reel in a fish.

 

Payton quickly pulled out a camera and snapped a few pictures of them.


”Hey P, you could sell those now and make a fortune,” Chase said, making them laugh.

 

Justin turned to Payton. “She wouldn’t do that, she loves me too much,” he said with a smile.

 

“Don’t tempt me Timberlake. I have some very interesting ones of you.”

 

“I can see the headline for those now. ‘JT candid photos while fishing with…daughter? Sister? Friend? Who’s the kid?’” James said, all of them laughing. Except Justin.

 

“Man, fuck all of you! Bunch of assholes!”

 

Kody turned around and put a hand on his mouth. “No say that.”

 

“I’m sorry baby doll. They’re being mean to me though!”

 

She turned to her mom, glaring at her. “Nice mommy.”

 

“I sorry baby.” She quickly leaned over and pressed a kiss to Justin’s cheek. “See? All better?”

 

The little girl smiled and continued fishing.

 

“How old is she?” Justin asked, leaning over to Payton.

 

“She’ll be three in April.”

 

“And she talks this good? You have a smart kid on your hands.”

 

Payton smiled. “Yes I do.”

 

When the sun started sinking in the sky, the started packing up to leave.

 

“Hey J, why don’t you take the cat home? I’m sure your girl would love to watch you clean it,” Bobby joked as he picked Kody up.

 

“She doesn’t even eat fish,” he said flatly.

”Your girl?” he heard Payton ask. He looked up at her, her face scrunched up in confusion.

 

“Yeah, his girl. The wanna-be Barbie that can’t stand us or even getting dirty,” Billy said, causing Justin to glare at him.

 

“Wait, you stood there yesterday grilling me about Bobby but couldn’t mention the fact that you have a girlfriend? Who, apparently is here, if they’ve met her?”

 

He quickly thought up a response. “I thought you knew?”

 

“Are you kidding me? You thought I knew? How the hell would I have known?”

 

“I don’t know,” he mumbled.

 

Payton glared at him. “When do I get to meet her?”

 

“Hopefully never,” he said laughing to himself.

 

“What? Why not?”

 

He looked up at her. “You’d probably make her cry woman! You’re not exactly a normal girl, Pay.”

 

Kyle walked over and wrapped an arm around Payton. “She wouldn’t be one of us if she was a normal girl though.”

 

“I think I’m offended,” Payton pouted.

 

Justin sighed, aggravated. “Fine. You can meet her next week at the county fair, ok?”

 

“Yeah,” she said, packing up her and Kody’s things.

 

“Your dad have his horses in it this year?”

 

“Of course. And he’s got his old tractor for show too.”

 

Justin nodded, watching Kody playing with the worms she didn’t use.

 

“Ok, Kody, ready to get going?” Payton asked, gathering up their stuff.

 

Kody got up and gave all the guys huge and kisses. She walked up to Justin and he picked her up. “Bye Uncle Justin,” she whispered. She ran over to her mom who was waiting next to the truck.

 

As he watched the truck pull away, he felt a tear slip down his cheek.

 

“Don’t cry,” Chase whispered, sitting next to Justin.

 

He quickly wiped the tear away and looked at Chase. “That’s what happened to her?”

 

“Most of it.”

 

“I missed it. I had to go play celebrity again, and missed it.”

 

“She was a mess at first. Don’t worry about it though, we all helped her out.”

”She used to be my best friend!” he shouted. “I missed her being pregnant, I missed seeing-my niece basically-being born. Where’s dad at?’

 

Chase looked down. “Wasn’t there.”

 

“Who is it? I’ll go beat the fuck out of the bastard for leaving her!”

 

“He left town a long time ago. Never looked back,” Chase mumbled.

 

Justin looked around at his friends, feeling guilty. “What else did I miss?”

 

“Nothing really. A couple weddings, a couple funerals,” Billy chimed in.

 

Justin suddenly felt sick. He made himself sick. While he was out in California living his life of glamour, his best friends were back here. Living real lives, working real jobs to survive. To top it all off, his best friend had had a baby. She probably really needed him, but he was too busy being selfish. “I’m ready to go,” he mumbled.

 

No one argued with him, no one made any sarcastic remarks. They knew he was feeling guilty and looked ready to have a melt down.

   

He walked in the house, everyone sitting in the living room. He had the line with the catfish on it in his hand.

 

“Eww! What is that?” Jessica squealed.

 

“Catfish,” he mumbled, and walked in the kitchen.

 

His mom followed him in, knowing something was wrong. “You ok honey? You look a little pale.”

 

“Fine.”

 

She watched him, knowing something wasn’t right. “What happened?”

 

“I abandoned my best friends!” he shouted.

 

“Hey,” she whispered, walking over to him. “Don’t get so upset.”

 

“And Payton!” he sniffled, wiping the tears away. “She has a daughter now!”

 

“She is a very sweet, very smart little girl.”

 

“She was my best friend mom! I wasn’t here when she needed me to be! I’m going to kick the dude’s ass that knocked her up and left her, I swear to God!”

 

“Relax Justin. They don’t see it like that, you guys are best friends. You went different ways with your lives, that’s all.”

 

He slammed his fists down on the counter, dropping the knife.


”Justin, go take a shower and go to bed. You had too much beer and sun. We’ll talk again in the morning.”

 

“I gotta clean this fish me and Kody caught,” he sniffled, turning back around.

 

“I’ll do it. Go take a shower and get some sleep.”

”Ok,” he mumbled and went upstairs.

 

When he got out of the shower, Jessica was getting in bed. “What were you all upset about?”

 

“Don’t worry about it,” he mumbled, crawling in bed.

 

“Tell me,” she whispered, kissing on his shoulder, rubbing his chest.

 

“Quit,” he commanded, pushing her away and rolling over.


”Tell me Justin! This isn’t like you.”

 

“I missed a lot of shit with my friends while I was gone, ok?”

 

“Like what?”

 

He rolled over and glared at her. “My best friend got pregnant, the guy ran out and left her to do it alone.”

”So? Women have kids on their own every day.”

”No. No one does that to Payton. And when she would have needed me, I was too busy playing super star.”

 

“It’s not the end of the world Justin.”

 

“Nice to know you care so much,” he snapped and rolled back over, scooting as far away from her as he could get.

 

“Whatever, Justin. I’m sure you’re just being over-dramatic like usual.”

 

He wanted to tell her to shut the fuck up. To tell her to leave now, that he wasn’t as in love with her as he had originally thought. But he didn’t. He ignored it, kept his mouth shut and went to sleep.

Chapter 5-County Fair by ladybugs26
Author's Notes:

Every year when summer comes around
They stretch a banner 'cross the main street in town
You can feel somethin's happenin' in the air
Well, from Carol's house up on Telegraph Hill
You can see the lights going up out in Soldiers Field
Getting ready, for the county fair

County fair, county fair,
Everybody in town'll be there
So come on, hey we're goin' down there
(hey) Little girl with the long blond hair
Come win your daddy one of them stuffed bears
Baby, down at the country fair

 

SONG: County Fair
ARTIST: Bruce Springsteen

He’d dreamed about her every night. The past week, she was there haunting his dreams. Dreams of what had happened; of what he thought had happened. Dreams of them being together, Kody calling him daddy instead of Uncle Justin. Thing of it was, he didn’t know why.


”Justin, fairs aren’t my thing. There’s bugs, and what if it rains?”

 

“You’re going. It’s the biggest thing in the county every summer.”

 

“But-“

 

“Jess, you’ve managed to complain about everything at some point this past week. Will you please pretend to like this and have fun? For me?” He made a pouty face in her direction, causing her to laugh.

 

She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him. “I’ll do my best for you baby.”

 

“Thank you. We’re meeting my mom and Paul, and the boys up there. The band starts at 9:30.”

 

“Then why are we leaving now? It’s only 4:30.”

 

“See the livestock judging, there’s games and carnival rides.” He walked over to the dresser to grab a shirt.

 

“Can’t hardly wait,” she mumbled and rolled her eyes as his back was turned.

   

When they arrived, she was shocked. They actually went out in public without being swarmed. There were no photographers, no reporters, no screaming fans.

 

“How…where-“

 

“Everyone knows me honey. They don’t care if I’m Justin Timberlake the celebrity or Justin Timberlake the boy down the street.”

 

“Oh,” she whispered.

 

They slowly made their way over to the livestock area. As they were looking around, they ran into his friends.

 

“Hey,” Justin greeted.


Their greetings were all friendly, even toward Jessica.

 

“Where’s the Anderson’s horses?” he asked, looking around.

 

“Third row on the end,” Kyle told him.

 

Justin and the guys slowly made their way over there, Jessica following behind them.

 

“Hey boys,” Steve greeted, rubbing one of the four horses down.

 

“Hey Mr. Anderson,” Justin greeted, shaking his hand.

 

“There’s all my boys!” the heard. Deanna was walking toward them, leading another horse. She stopped in front of them, looking at the girl on Justin’s arm. “Hello dear.”

 

“Deanna, this is my girlfriend Jessica. This is my best friend’s mama, Deanna.”

 

“Nice to meet you,” Deanna smiled, hiding her disapproval.

 

Jessica just smiled.

 

“Where’s Payton?” Justin asked looking around.


”Oh, she took Kody to the little petting zoo and then to get some food.”

 

“Food sounds good,” Justin said and looked at Jessica. “You hungry baby?”

 

Deanna glanced at Steve, watching him shake his head in disappointment.

 

“A little bit,” she answered.

 

Justin looked at his friends. “Y’all hungry? I’m buying.”

 

“Hell yeah!” they all more or less shouted.

 

They made their way down the hill toward the food vendors, running into Payton and Kody.

 

“Uncle Justin!” Kody shouted and ran toward him.

 

“Hey squirt!” he said, picking her up and spinning her around.

 

Jessica watched the scene, feelings of jealousy hitting at how easily a little girl could lit up Justin’s face.

 

“Hey guys,” Payton greeted, walking toward the group.

 

“Hey girl,” Justin said, an even bigger smile on his face now.

 

The guys stood back, watching and waiting to see what was going to happen.

 

“Payton, his is Jessica, my girlfriend. Baby, this is my best friend Payton and her daughter Kody.”


The two women sized each other up. Jessica glared down at the 5’4” blond girl with the dark blue eyes standing in front of her. She looked down farther, seeing her tan shoulders and chest exposed by the tank top she was wearing. Her flat tummy showed no signs of having been stretched during her pregnancy. Her tan legs, exposed from mid-thigh by her denim skirt to right below her knees, the rest hidden by her cowboy boots.

 

“It’s nice to meet you,” Payton smiled. She knew she had nothing to worry about. Yeah she was a little shorter, but she knew she was a lot meaner.

 

“You too,” Jessica said, forcing herself to smile.

 

“So, who’s hungry?” Justin asked, walking between the two, trying to break the tension.

 

“I want a corndog,” Kody whispered in his ear and he smiled.

 

“I think we can manage that kiddo,” he told her and took off toward the vendors, everyone following him.

 

“What’cha want sweetheart?” he asked Jessica.

 

“It’s all fried Justin. Or barbequed. Doesn’t anyone around here know what health food is?”

 

Payton rolled her eyes, then spoke up from behind Justin. “I think there’s a place down on the end that has fresh fruit and vegetables.”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes and ignored Payton as she told Justin she’d just take a lemonade. The guys all got their massive amounts of food, Kody got her corndog and french fries. Payton tried to buy her own food, but Justin wouldn’t let her. So he bought her the greasy cheeseburger, french fries and beer, and the funnel cake Kody and her shared.

 

Jessica sat there disgusted as she watched them all eat. Especially Payton scarfing down her huge burger. “Don’t eat too much of that, you’ll get fat.”

 

Payton laughed and swallowed the bite she was chewing. “I always eat like this. Growing up with these guys, I had to learn to pull my weight with food.”

 

“You always eat like that? You work out a lot then don’t you?”

 

Payton shook her head. “I’ve never worked out.”

 

“Then how-“

 

“I was raised on a farm. Now I have a two year old and I’m one of the only mechanics in town. I don’t have to work out, life works me out more than enough.”

 

“Oh,” Jessica huffed, disgusted.

 

After eating, they went around to the games and rides. Justin took Kody on all the rides she was able to go on as Payton snapped pictures of them. Justin took care of Kody most of the night, paying more attention to her than anyone. Which didn’t set well with his girlfriend.

 

When they made their way to the games, Justin spent quite a bit of money playing. And every prize he won went to Kody. Even the huge teddy bear that Jessica was sure he’d win her.

 

“He sure likes that kid,” Bobby whispered to Payton as they watched them together on the merry-go-round for the tenth time.

 

“He should.”

 

“Pay, I know you’re enjoying this, but don’t let her get too attached. You either. You know he’s leaving again in a little over a month.”

 

Payton sighed. “I know Bobby. Am I supposed to just tell him no to being around us?”

”I’m not saying that, just be careful.”

 

“I’m trying. It’s kind of funny watching Miss High and Mighty over there get jealous. I could so knock her ass out in one hit.”


They both laughed as Kody came running over to her mom.


”Hey baby, have fun?”

 

“Yeah, I go again?”

 

“Nooo, we need to get going home. It’s getting late.” She looked at Justin. “Thank you.”

”For what?”

 

“Spoiling her rotten,” Payton laughed, making him blush.

 

“I didn’t spoil her. We had a lot of catching up to do.”

 

“Well, whatever it was, we have to get going. I think your girlfriend would like her man back.”

 

He looked over his shoulder at Jessica and saw her standing with the guys, glaring at him. He turned back around and rolled his eyes. “Yeah, can’t wait for that.”

 

“What’s that about?” Payton asked, curiosity getting the better of her.

 

“Nothing,” he sighed. “She’s just getting on my nerves lately. A lot.”

 

Payton smiled. “I’m sorry.”

”Not half as sorry as me. One more week, the she leaves and I can enjoy myself and stop walking on damn eggshells around her.”

 

“Don’t have too much fun in that week.”

 

“Yeah, thanks jerk,” he said, the both of them laughing.

 

“No problem.” She looked at Kody. “Tell him bye-bye and thank you.”

 

Kody reached over and hugged Justin. “Thank you. Bye-bye Uncle Justin. Love you.”

 

Payton smiled as he kissed her. “You’re welcome. Love you too squirt.”

 

He glanced at Payton and smiled at her before pulling her into a tight embrace. “Camping Wednesday?”

 

“I’ll see you then. Bye Justin.” She quickly kissed his cheek before turning around and walking away.

 

He touched his cheek where her lips had briefly touched as he watched her walk away.

 

He felt someone smack his arm, then heard Jessica. “Hello? What the hell was that?”

 

“What?” he asked completely clueless.

 

“She kissed you!”

 

“It was a friendly kiss, don’t freak out.”

 

“Bullshit! And you didn’t do or say a damn thing!”

 

“Because she’s a friend Jessica! That’s all it was!”

 

She turned to look at his friends. They quickly looked down to avoid her eyes. “Does she kiss you guys like that?”

 

They all shock their heads yes to cover his ass. She’d never kissed any of them, at least not like that. She’d kissed Bobby when they were dating. And one other, which was her first kiss.

 

She spun back around to Justin. “It better not happen again!”

 

They didn’t talk the rest of the night. Until they got back to Justin’s moms and he was trying to go to bed.

 

“You guys slept together, didn’t you?” she accused, climbing in bed.

 

“What are you talking about now?” he sighed, completely pissed off.

 

“You and Payton. You guys have slept together.”

 

“Yeah Jess, we fuck all the time. And every other woman in town too. I’m the man-whore in the town. They’ve all had my dick up in them.”

 

“Don’t start with me Justin. You’re on thin ice as it is.”

 

“I’m on thin ice? Me? Do you know how much hell I’ve been through this past week with you here?”

 

“Then why’d you bring me?”

 

“You’re my girlfriend! I wanted you to meet my mom! And my friends!”

 

“And they all hate me!”

 

“So? You’re with me, not them.”

 

“My family love you Justin, and my friends too. Would-“

 

“You want me to make them like you?”

 

“No! But-“

 

“But nothing! If you didn’t act like you’re twenty times better than them, maybe they wouldn’t have a problem with you!”

 

“That’s not acting, I am better than this. All of it!”

 

“Well then don’t expect them to like you.”

 

“You-“

 

“I’m going to bed! Shut your mouth and go to sleep, it’s past your bedtime!”

 

She watched him roll over, unable to believe he’d talked to her like that.

 

‘You want country hillbilly from me? You got it buddy!’ she thought to herself, an evil smile developing on her face.

End Notes:
Enjoy! Let me know what you think!
Chapter 6-All Summer Long by ladybugs26
Author's Notes:

Splashing through the sand-bar, talking by the camp fire,
It's the simple things in life like when and where
We didn't have no internet but man I never will forget
The way the moon light shined upon her hair

And, we were trying different things we were smoking funny things
Making love out by the lake to our favorite song
Sipping whisky out the bottle not thinking bout tomorrow
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long

Catching walleye from the dock watching the waves roll off the rocks
She'll forever hold a spot inside my soul
We'd blister in the sun we couldn't wait for night to come
To hit that sand and play some rock and roll

SONG: All Summer Long
ARTIST" Kid Rock

Jessica and Justin hadn’t talked much Monday or Tuesday. Wednesday morning rolled around, the day they were leaving to go camping in the Smokey Mountains. Justin had gotten up early to pack up what they were going to need, letting Jessica sleep in.

 

As he was sitting downstairs with his mom and step-dad, his friends all showed up. He looked at his watch, noting it was already 10:15 and his girlfriend was still in bed.

 

“Go get her ass up man, we got shit to do!” Billy yelled.

 

“No need to yell,” they all heard and turned around. Jessica was walking down the stairs in a pair of jeans, a plaid button front shirt with the bottom tied. She had her hair parted and put in low pig-tails. “Y’all like?” she asked spinning around.

 

“What the hell is that?” Justin asked, eye brows scrunched together.

 

“You wanted a country girl, now you got one.”

 

The guys all laughed, Justin turning around and rolling his eyes.

”Payton is a country girl, you’re just a city girl trying to act country,” Justin’s grandma said, chuckling along with the guys.

 

“Excuse me?” Jessica asked, spinning to glare at her.

 

“No, no, no. We gotta get going,” Justin said, gently shoving Jessica to the door. He didn’t want any confrontations between his family and his girlfriend.

 

They walked out to his car and Jessica immediately climbed in. Justin turned around, looking at his friend’s trucks, longing for one again. He missed the old rusted black truck he’d had, what he learned how to drive in.

 

“Have fun in that little piece of shit,” Chase said laughing, climbing in his truck.

 

“Yeah, yeah. It won’t be that bad.”

 

“We’ll see,” Chase challenged and started his truck.

 

Justin just laughed as he climbed in and started his car.

 

~~

 

“Uncle Justin!” Kody shouted when they pulled in to the camp ground. She ran over and was in his arms before he could even put his car keys in his pocket.

 

“Hey squirt,” he said and kissed her head.

 

Jessica opened the car door and climbed out, glaring at her boyfriend and the little girl. She knew then it was going to be a long three days.

 

Justin insisted on having their tent near Payton and Kody’s which didn’t set well at all with Jessica. But instead of causing a problem, she just smiled and said ok. She even helped with setting their tent up and helping with setting all of their stuff up.

 

Their campsite was right along a creek, the sun setting over it. Kody was playing in the shallow water, catching minnows and looking for crawdads. Payton was sitting on the rocks, watching her daughter play as the guys got the fire going for dinner.

 

“Hey.”

Payton turned around and saw Justin walking toward her, a huge smile on his face. He still had that smile that made her heart skip a beat.

 

“Hey superstar.”

 

He sat down next to her, watching Kody. “She sure likes the water.”

 

“I think she’s part fish sometimes,” Payton laughed.

 

“She’d love the ocean.”

 

Payton turned to look at him. “We won’t ever know. I’m too broke for a vacation.” She looked down, the embarrassment evident on her face.

 

“Aw Pay. I’ll take you guys, don’t worry about it. You guys will love it,” he told her, an arm going around her shoulders.

 

“You don’t have to.”

”I know, but I want to. You’re my best friend, I can do that for you and Kody.”

 

She smiled at him and laid her head on his shoulder. “Thanks.”

 

Jessica was sitting at a picnic table, watching the whole scene in front of her. When her boyfriend’s arm went around the woman, she gasped, hands balling into fists.

 

“Relax woman. It’s all friendly, don’t get your panties in a bunch,” Billy said sitting next to her.

 

She turned at him glaring, her nose slightly tilted in the air. “I know.”

 

“Then what’s with the fists of rage?”

 

“I don’t trust or like her. It has nothing to do with Justin, it’s her.”

 

“Aww, don’t worry about Pay. She’s harmless. They grew up together and her best friend was gone for three years. She’s happy he’s back, that’s all.”

 

“That better be it.”

 

Billy sighed and walked away, figuring out that talking to her was useless. She had it set in her mind that Payton was a threat and that’s the way it was staying. She had every right to feel that way in her mind, but according to her boyfriend and his friends, there was nothing to worry about and she was being ridiculous. If only she knew the truth…

 

~~

 

The next morning, Payton woke up and Kody was gone. She sat straight up and threw open the fabric door of the tent and jumped out. She ran toward the water, then froze. The scene in front of her took her breath away.

 

“Here’s another one squirt,” Justin said, putting a crawdad in a bucket as Kody giggled. They were up catching crawdads and playing in the water together, no one else up yet.

 

Justin glanced up, realizing Payton was standing there. He smiled and waved to her. “I heard her up and moving around, figured I’d let you get some sleep.”

 

She smiled. “Thanks. Next time tell me though, I about had a heart attack.”

 

The two of them sat there watching Kody for a good hour before the rest of the group started waking up and moving around.

 

“Hey girl, what’s for breakfast?” Kevin asked, sitting next to her.

 

“Whatever you brought to eat,” she laughed.

 

“That ain’t right, you’re supposed to cook for us,” he joked.

 

“I’ll cook for y’all when hell freezes over.”

 

That made Justin laugh. He had missed his friends and being home more than he’d thought.

 

“You’re girlfriend is over there waiting on you,” Kevin told Justin, and the smile on Justin’s face slowly faded.

 

“What’s she waiting on?”

 

“I don’t know. She’s been sitting there for the past half hour or so just glaring at you over here.”

 

Justin rolled his eyes, Payton and Kevin laughing. “I’ll be so glad when she leaves,” he whispered getting up.

 

When he was gone, Kevin looked at Payton. “That girl hates you.”

 

“Like I care? I don’t much care for her myself really.”

 

“Be nice to her Payton. I know she hasn’t given you much reason to, but please, for us? For Justin? I don’t want to see-“

 

“As long as she keeps away from me or her mouth shut around me, I’m not going to do or say anything to her, ok? Stop worrying. I’d love to hit her, but I won’t. Unless she gives me a reason to.”

 

“Pay, that’s his girlfriend. It’d just cause more tension between the two of you if you did it, whether she deserved it or not.”

 

Payton sighed and rolled her eyes, knowing he was right. “Fine, fine,” she whispered getting up. “Come on kiddo, let’s go get some breakfast so we can go play in the big part of the water in a little bit.”

 

Kody came running over and grabbed her mom’s hand. They walked back over to the picnic table where they were going to eat their breakfast. And laugh at Justin trying to please and take care of his girlfriend.

 

~~

After playing in the water all day, and drinking, the group made it back to their campsite as the sun was setting. Most of the guys were completely plastered, except for Justin and Bobby. Payton of course wasn’t because she had her daughter, and Jessica…well she wouldn’t touch beer.

 

After they ate, Payton took Kody in to lay down and the little girl fell asleep as soon as she laid down. Payton smiled and quietly made her way back out to the fire where everyone was sitting around. Payton sat in a chair between Bobby and Jessica, scooting it closer to Bobby. She was testing herself, and she wasn’t sure she’d pass that test.

 

They got talking about past camping trips for a few years ago, and the ones from the years Justin was gone. Jessica sat there listening, not saying a word, totally appalled at how her boyfriend had acted before.

 

“Oh, you guys remember the one night like five years ago when Justin scared the hell out of Payton? He had her thinking there was a bear outside of her tent. That girl screamed louder than I think she ever had in her life and about pissed in her pants,” Billy reminded them all, everyone laughing. Except Jessica.

 

Payton looked over at Justin around his girlfriend. “I still don’t forgive you for that, asshole,” and she laughed.

 

“Hey, you said paybacks are a bitch, I still haven’t seen a good one for that!”

 

“Oh, it’s coming, just wait,” she said, trying not to laugh.

 

“Bring it on then honey,” he said standing up.

 

The two started a wrestling match, all the guys laughing and yelling at Payton to beat him. Jessica sat there, her mouth hung open at how immature her boyfriend was being.

 

“You give up yet?” he asked tickling her.

 

“Kiss my ass,” she gasped out breathless from laughing so hard.

 

“Drop ‘em and bend over then princess,” he said laughing at letting her up.

 

She stoop up in front of him as he knelt behind her, and she unbuttoned the button on her shorts.

 

That’s when Jessica stood up. “Ok, enough of the immaturity, and for God’s sake, leave your clothes on.”

 

They both froze and looked up at her, smiles frozen on their faces. The look on Jessica’s face could kill.

 

“We’re just playing around hon,” Justin said, not moving.

 

“Yeah obviously, since Miss One of the Guys over there was ready to take her clothes off for you.”

Payton’s jaw dropped, and all of the guys, including Justin, let out moans, their shoulders dropping.

 

“Excuse me?” Payton asked, stepping closer to her.

 

“Do not take your clothes off in front of my boyfriend.”

 

“In case you didn’t hear, he was kissing my ass. That doesn’t mean I was taking my clothes off for him. Believe it or not, some of us girls in the world don’t want to drop our panties at the second he’s near us.”

 

It was Justin’s turn for his jaw to drop, surprised at what Payton said.

 

“Oh, go back to your trailer, raise your daughter, be one of the guys, never get married, or whatever it is you do. But you will leave my man alone.”

 

Payton turned around, looking at Justin, a smile on her face. He knew what was about to happen. He gave a half of a laugh, and a shoulder shrug. She faced the snotty woman in front of her, a smug smile on her face.

 

Before Jessica knew what happened, Payton hit her and she landed on the ground, blood trickling from her nose.

 

“What the hell!” she shouted at Payton.

 

Payton went to lunged for her, but Jessica saw her boyfriend behind Payton, holding her back, trying to drag her away.

Billy and Chase were at Jessica’s side, a wet paper towel being held against her nose. “Leave me alone!” she yelled at them, trying to stand up on her own. “I can do it myself.”

 

Justin drug Payton away from everyone and sat her on the ground. “Calm down woman!” he yelled at her.

 

“I’m gonna kill that little stuck-up bitch, I swear to God Justin!”

 

“No you’re not, now calm down, damn it.”

 

She sat there for a moment, breathing deep to calm herself down. She looked up at Justin, and instantly felt regret at what she had done. “Justin, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean-“

”Payton, its fine. I kept telling her she was going to end up shown up for thinking she’s better than everyone and everything around here. I’m not mad at all if that’s what you’re worried about.”

 

“Kevin said it’d cause more tension between us and that’s the last thing I want-“ She was cut off as he roughly pulled her to him and pressed his lips to hers. She fought it for all of five seconds before giving in and kissing him back.

 

“You calmed down now?” he whispered, his face only inches from hers.

 

She shook her head yes slowly, her eyes never leaving his.

 

“I’ve wanted to do that for awhile now,” he whispered, and licked his lips.

 

She smiled, the smile he’d fallen in love with the first time he saw it. “Why?”

 

“That night Payton. I’ve been dreaming about it every night since I came back. I wanted to feel your lips on mine again.”

 

“You have a girlfriend Justin. You shouldn’t-“

 

“I don’t care Payton. The feelings for her aren’t what I thought they were. It’s complicated.”

 

“You guys doing ok?” they heard Bobby shout, walking toward them.

 

They quickly scooted away from each other before he came into view. “You calmed down yet girl?”

 

“I’m fine.”

 

He looked at Justin. “You better go see her, she’s flipping out. Says she wants to leave right now and she wants to go back home and get the hell out of here and you’re going with her.”

Justin sighed and got up. “Like hell I’m leaving, she can leave tonight if she’ll just stop being a bitch,” he whispered, then walked back toward his girlfriend.

 

Bobby looked toward Payton, a huge smile on his face. “Way to go girl!”

 

Payton laughed. “She had it coming.”

”Yeah, but now she wants Justin to leave with her.”


”I’ll leave. You guys need to catch up and stuff still. It’s no big deal.”

 

“Payton,” he whispered.

She turned around and he was glaring at her. “What?”

 

“Let him go if that’s what he wants. You shouldn’t have to leave because of her.”

 

Payton laughed. “I’m not leaving because of her. I’m leaving so he doesn’t. So she doesn’t drag him away and we never see him again.”

 

Bobby just glared at her, a knowing look on his face. “You don’t want him to leave for other reasons.”

 

Payton rolled her eyes. “Whatever Bobby. I’ve missed my best friend and don’t want him to leave because of that stupid bitch.”

 

“Fine, fine. I’m not going to argue with you.”

 

They walked back over to the fire, where the park ranger was standing, and talking to Kevin, Justin and Chase.

 

“What’s going on?” Payton asked walking over.

 

The young park ranger glanced at her quickly, then looked back at her gawking. “We got a complaint about this campsite. Since no one will say exactly who it was, we have to ask all of you to leave.”

 

“But we paid for one more night,” she told him, arms crossing over her chest.

 

“I’m sorry but we have to have you leave.”

 

“What if we aren’t ready?”

”Then we’ll have to call the sheriff’s department to come and either force you to leave or arrest all of you.”

 

Justin spoke up at that. “It’s fine, we’ll leave cooperatively. Give us some time to get everything packed up.”

 

“We can give you folks an hour, that’s about it.”

”Thank you,” Justin said as the ranger walked away.

 

The guys all turned to Payton, causing her to look down. “Sorry,” she mumbled.

 

“Don’t worry about it, we wouldn’t rat you out. We can just have a fishing trip in the morning,” Bobby said and they all agreed. Except Payton.

 

“I’m just gonna stay home for this one. You guys need your guy time, I got some stuff that needs to be done around the house anyways.”

 

Bobby glanced between her and Justin. He looked like he was about to cry, she looked like she was ready to hit someone else. Everyone was wishing the two of them would just sit down and talk about everything to get rid of the awkwardness.

 

“You sure?” Justin asked, looking at Payton.

 

She smiled. “Yeah. Kody might like some mommy time too since I’m supposed to be off until Monday morning.”

 

They all sat to packing up their belongings, Jessica sitting in the car the whole time. She refused to talk to any of them, and anytime Justin said anything she just glared at him. She’d said all she needed to and her plan was to be on the first plane back to California tomorrow morning. The two of them.

 

On the way back to his mom’s house, he told her of the plan to go fishing in the morning.

 

“No Justin! You are not leaving me for that bunch of losers again!”

 

“We are going fishing in the morning since we had to leave tonight. They all took off work to spend time together and since we had to leave, we’re doing it around town.”

She glared at him. “If you go tomorrow, I will not be there when you get back,” she spit out at him through clinched teeth.

 

He just shrugged. “If that’s how you feel I’m not going to stop you. I came home to see my friends and spend time with them. Not to bend to your every wish and command.”

 

She huffed at him, rolling her eyes. “I’m not kidding Justin. I will be gone when you get back if you go tomorrow! Especially if that little bitch is going too!”

 

Justin pulled over on the side of the highway and turned to her, the look he had on his face scaring at her. “Her name is Payton. You will not disrespect her again, do you understand me? She is my best friend and was around long before you were. You make me choose, you already know who I’m picking. Girlfriends can be replaced, best friends aren’t so easy to come by.”

 

She grabbed his shirt front tightly, her face inches from his. “You listen to me. I will not be made a fool. Not by her, not by you, your friends or your family. This whole thing you got going here is a joke. This isn’t life, this is a bad movie. I can’t believe you call this home, I would be ashamed.”

 

He yanked her arm off of his shirt and looked at her. “This is life, if you don’t like it I won’t make the mistake of bring you with me again. I’m not changing shit because you don’t like it.”

 

He got back on the road and sped most of the way back to the house. He didn’t want to be near her, he didn’t want to hear her or see her. Right now he was wishing he’d never met her.

 

When they got back to the house, she stormed off up to the bedroom as Lynn walked downstairs.


”What are you doing back already? And at 3 AM?”

 

He laughed. “Payton hit Jess. The park ranger made us leave because there was a complaint.”

The smile on his moms face was priceless. “Good for Payton.”

 

“Jess is probably leaving tomorrow, if she does don’t even bother saying anything to her. We had words and she didn’t like what I had to say. Told me if I went fishing in the morning with the guys she was leaving. So, I’m going, she’s probably leaving, the end of Justin’s problems for now.” He was smiling the whole time, not upset in the least.

 

His mom knew he didn’t care. She knew her son well enough to know he’d pretty much lost interest in her, he just didn’t have the heart to break up with her totally yet.

 

“OK honey. We won’t be here tomorrow so she’ll be here alone. Easy as pie.”

”I’m sleeping in the guest room, I don’t even want to see her or be around her. I don’t care if there’s sheets on the bed or not.”

”There’s some on there, don’t know how fresh they are though.”

”It’ll do for tonight. Good night mama.” He gave his mom a hug and kiss before walking upstairs.

 

He couldn’t wait for tomorrow to see if she was telling him the truth about leaving. He really couldn’t wait for her to be gone. The guilty feelings of not loving her but not telling her crossed his mind, but knew now was not the time to end it. She would run straight to the press with a bunch of bullshit lies and he really didn’t want that right now. ‘Only a few more weeks’ he thought to himself before falling asleep.

End Notes:
Have a safe and happy 4th everyone!
Chapter 7 by ladybugs26
Author's Notes:
I don't have a song for this one...if anyone knows or thinks of one for it, let me know and I'll post it!

Jessica had indeed left like she had threatened. Justin had gone fishing with his friends and Jessica had left. He didn’t call, he didn’t text, he was glad she was gone.

 

He hadn’t seen or talked to Payton since the night he’d kissed her when she had hit Jessica. He was giving her some space, thinking she needed it as much as he did. Who goes around kissing one of their friends after she hits your girlfriend?

 

Finally on Wednesday, he’d had enough. As he was watching TV with his mom, he picked up his cell phone and made a call.


”Waylon’s Garage, this is Waylon, what can I do for ya?”

 

“Waylon, its Justin.”

 

“Hey boy, what’s going on?”

 

“Nothing. What time does Payton get off?”

”She left about a half hour ago to go get Kody and take her to the doctor.”

”She going back there after?”

”Na, I told her to take the rest of the day off.”

”Perfect! Thanks Waylon.”

 

“No problem, talk to you later boy.”

 

Justin glanced down at his watch: 4:45. By time she got home, it’d be almost six. He quickly dialed another number.

 

“Georgiana’s Pizza Den, this is Donna, what can I get for you?”

Justin smiled. “Donna, its Justin.”

”Justin…?”

 

“Timberlake.”

The older lady on the other side of the phone laughed. “Oh! How are you hon?”

 

“I’m doing alright. Hey, I got a question. Does Payton ever order from there?”

 

“Sometimes she does. Why?”

 

“What does she usually get?”


”Medium supreme pizza and toasted ravioli for her and Kody. Why?”

 

“I need to order that. And a medium pepperoni.”

 

The older lady smiled. “Alright honey. You want to pick it up or have it delivered?”

 

“I’ll pick it up in about an hour.”

”Alright, we’ll see you then!”

 

Justin hung up and glanced over at his mom, noticing the huge smile spread across her face. “What?”

 

“Buying Payton dinner?”

 

“Yep. And gonna rent some movies for her and Kody.”

”Well, good. I’ve been worried about you guys.”

”What? Why?”

 

She shrugged. “Just have.”

 

Justin laughed before going upstairs to get ready.

   

Payton and Kody got home at 5:30. Kody had strep throat, but was still being bouncy.

 

Payton had just changed into her favorite sweatpants when there was a knock at the door. “Now what?” she grumbled and opened the door.


Justin was standing there with pizza boxes and a pile of DVDs.


”What are you doing?” she asked laughing.

 

“I bought you guys some dinner and rented a few movies.”

 

She stepped aside and Justin walked in. Kody saw him and ran across the room.

 

“No kissing! She’s got strep,” Payton told him as he picked Kody up.

 

“Uh oh! You sick squirt?”

 

Kody frowned and shook her head yes.

 

“I brought you guys some pizza and movies. How about we eat, then you can get your PJs on and we’ll watch a movie ok?”

 

“OK,” she whispered and yawned.

 

“What made you do this? Isn’t your girlfriend going to be pissed?”

 

Justin laughed. “She’s gone. Left when I went fishing with the guys.”

 

Payton nodded as she sat at the small kitchen table to eat.

 

As they were eating, Justin took in her small house. The furniture was old and worn in, and didn’t match. The walls had pictures Kody had made all over them, as well as photographs. There weren’t any of him and Kody up…yet. There were the framed pictures she’d had for awhile. Including the one of the two of them all dressed up at Payton’s senior prom. He’d made a special trip home just for that.

 

“Mama, I wanna go bed,” Kody moaned, rubbing her eyes.

 

Payton smiled. “Ok baby. Let’s get your medicine first; then you can get in bed.”

”Your bed?”

 

She smiled and kissed her daughters head. “Sure baby doll.”

 

She got Kody’s medicine and her pajamas on. Kody walked over and hugged Justin. “You put me in bed?”

 

He turned a shocked expression toward Payton. She smiled and nodded at him. “Ok squirt,” he told her and picked the little girl up.

 

As he was tucking Kody in, Payton cleaned up the pizza and grabbed her and Justin a beer.

 

He walked out five minutes later, all smiles. “She’s out.”

 

“Good. She drove me crazy at the doctor,” Payton sighed and sat on the couch.

 

Justin took his beer and sat down next to Payton. “Can we talk before the movie?”

 

“About what?” She had a bad feeling about this, and knew she should have said no instead.

 

“Kody.”

 

“What-“

 

“I’ve known you for forever Payton, and never pictured you doing the single mom thing. What-how’d it happen?”

 

“I slept with a guy, got pregnant, he left, and it’s just me and Kody.”

 

“Ok smartass. I’m serious. You were a virgin…until that night. Why would you sleep with random guys? I just- I can’t picture you doing something like that.”

 

“Justin,” she sighed, getting up and walked around.

”Who is he Payton? Do I know him?”

 

“Yeah,” was all she whispered back to him.


”Who?”

 

“He left town after we slept together.”

 

Justin let out an aggravated sigh. “Woman, other than me leaving, no one else has. I asked Waylon, Donna, my mom. No one. Which means he’s still in town. Stop lying and just tell me.”

 

Payton turned around, tears in her eyes. “He was the first guy I ever slept with, the guy I lost my virginity to! And he left the next day! He ignored my phone calls when I tried calling to tell him, eventually getting his number changed and never gave it to anyone!”

 

“What?” he choked out, beginning to put the pieces together.

 

“He was my best friend and I trusted him! I trusted him not to hurt me. Instead of hurting me, he just got me pregnant and left!”

 

Other than Payton’s sniffling, the room was silent.

 

Justin stood up, wiping his eyes. He walked over to Payton and grabbed her arms, hugging her tight. “I’m so sorry,” he whispered.

 

She took a deep breath and pulled out of his arms. “Its fine, we’re fine. Don’t…don’t feel bad.”

 

“I have a kid Payton! I got my best friend pregnant and left, never thinking anything of it! How is it fine?”

 

“We’ve done just fine,” she whispered.

 

He grabbed her arms, making her look at him. He had tears running down his face, his eyes red and swollen. “Listen, I’m not mad at you at all ok? I just- I need to let this all sing in ok? I’m going to leave and I’ll call you tomorrow ok?”

 

She just nodded. He quickly kissed her forehead, and walked out the door.

 

Why did she tell him? Now nothing was ever going to be the same.

 

She sat on the couch with her knees pulled to her chest. She picked up the phone and dialed her mom’s number.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Mama,” Payton sniffled.

 

“Payton? What’s wrong?”

 

“He knows,” she choked out to her mom, fresh tears starting all over.

 

“Calm down baby. Who knows?”

 

“Justin! He was asking me about Kody and it just all rolled out.”

 

“Oh honey. You knew you had to tell him at some point.”

 

“No I didn’t. Everyone would be better off if he didn’t know.”

”Does Kody know that he’s her daddy?”

 

“No! I’m not going to tell her either! Not until we talk about it.”

 

“Payton, you can’t expect him to drop everything because-“

 

“I don’t want him to drop anything!”

 

“Go to bed sweetie. I’ll be over in the morning to get Kody and we’ll talk then, ok?”

 

“Ok. Night mama.”

”Goodnight honey.”

 

Payton turned the TV and all the lights off. She walked in her bedroom and climbed in bed next to her daughter. When Kody felt her mom get in bed, she scooted over closer and curled up against Payton’s chest and stomach. Payton kissed her daughters head and draped an arm over her before falling asleep.

   

Justin left Payton’s and went straight to the gas station where he bought a 12-pack and a bottle of whiskey.

 

“Rough night?” the kid at the register asked.

 

“You have no idea,” Justin mumbled and walked out.

 

Instead of going straight home, he drove to the old abandoned farm between his mom and Payton’s mom’s houses. He sat on the hood of his car and cracked open a beer and opened the bottle of whiskey.

 

He took swig after swig of the whiskey, the careless feeling he wanted not coming. Instead, he just got madder and madder at himself.

 

“How the fuck could I have let this happen?” he screamed at himself.

 

He had a daughter. A very beautiful and smart daughter. With his best friend. She had given up her virginity to him because she trusted him. Instead of thinking, he was so caught up in the moment that he got to kiss and touch her, the idea of preventing it from happening hadn’t even crossed his mind.

 

He threw the half empty bottle of whiskey at a tree, the bottle breaking and pieces of glass and the whiskey going everywhere.

 

He didn’t know how he should react to the whole situation. Should he be happy he had a kid? Should he just disappear again and forget the whole thing or stick around and do the daddy thing? If he stuck around, he’d have to basically give up the career he loved so much. The career that forced him to leave again.

 

Then it hit him. His friend’s had been at his daughter’s birth. He didn’t even get to see her come into the world. They all filed in the empty space of the dad position because he wasn’t there. Should he hate them for that or be thankful?

 

That caused him to think even more. Did they know? They couldn’t. Payton wouldn’t say that they had slept together, there was no way. She wasn’t that kind of girl. Woman. He had to keep reminding himself that she was a woman now, no longer a little girl thanks to him.

 

“God I hate myself right now,” he moaned before getting back in his car.

 

He drove back to his mom’s house, thankful no one was there but his mom.

 

When she saw him walk in, she knew something was up. His face was tear-streaked, his eyes red and swollen, and he looked like he was about to cry again.

 

“What’s wrong?” she asked, instantly on her feet.

 

“Payton…Kody is mine,” he whispered, not even looking at her.

 

“Ohhhh,” she whispered, almost panicked. She wasn’t quite ready to deal with this. “Come sit down and let’s talk ok?” She ushered him into the living room on to the couch and she sat next to him.

 

He looked at his mom, tears starting to roll down his cheek. “I’m sorry mama,” he whispered.

 

“Sorry for what honey?”

 

“Getting her pregnant. Abandoning Payton and Kody. Everything,” he whispered. “I’m a horrible person.”

 

“Oh Justin, no you’re not! Payton and Kody have been just fine. We have all helped her out when she needed it.”

His head jerked up. “What?”

 

“When she needed help with anything, one of us was always right there. They were and still are both fine.”

 

He stood up. “You knew the whole time, didn’t you?”

 

She looked down. “Yes. I knew you two had slept together, and then when she ended up pregnant, I knew. When I asked her, she just confirmed it.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” he yelled.

 

“It wasn’t my place to tell you! I’m not the one that had the child, it wasn’t my place!”

 

“And what if she never told me? Keep it a secret forever? Because she sure as hell didn’t want to tell me!”

 

“Do you blame her Justin? She tried so many times to call and tell you! So did the boys! You never answered their calls, or called them back. I can’t say if I was in her situation I’d be wanting to tell you either! She’s probably terrified you’ll leave again!”

 

“They know too?”

 

“They knew before I did.”

 

“What the fuck! Everyone knew, but no one had the decency to tell me?”

 

“Would you have listened?”

”Yes! That girl was my best friend mom! I would have come running back here as soon as I could have!”

 

His mom cocked her head to the side. “She tried telling you Justin. You were too busy.”

 

He sank down on the couch, head in his hands and crying. “Her life is a mess because of me! I never met for any of it to happen.”

 

“I know it and so does she. It was her first time, she didn’t know what was going on to say anything. She loves that little girl and is thankful for her every day. You need to be happy you have such great friends that helped her with more than you’d ever know.”

 

He took a couple deep breaths, then looked at his mom. “Now what do I do?”

 

“You know she can make it without you. You need to decide if you want to be around and in the girl’s life or not. She told me she would never tell Kody until she was old enough to understand everything. It’s all up to you.”

 

“I don’t know how to do it mom. I love that little girl and did even before I knew she was mine. I don’t…I don’t want to miss her growing up.”

 

His mom smiled. “Then don’t. You are the only one that can make that happen. Payton can tell you whatever she wants to get you to stay or go, but you are the only one that can make it happen.”

 

“I…I don’t know. I don’t want to give up my career but I can’t miss this either.”

 

“You need to think about it, sleep on it. The answer will come to you soon enough. There are plenty of musicians out there that have kids and a family and they pull it off. You’re no different. You just have to make the right choice for you of which direction to take your life next and do it. No regrets, no turning back.”

 

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. The right choice? What the hell was that? He obviously hadn’t made many right choices in his life.

 

“Justin,” his mom whispered.

 

“What?”

 

“Don’t be afraid of anything. No one is going to change their feelings for you, especially your friends. Don’t make a choice based on them; you base it on you and your daughter.”

 

“My daughter,” he whispered, then whispered it again.

 

“Go on up to bed and get some sleep. You need it.”

 

“I guess,” he mumbled, standing up.

 

“I love you honey and you’re my son. No matter what. Remember that.”

 

He walked up stairs and took a long hot shower, thinking things through. There was no way he could make a choice until he talked to Payton again in the morning. He had to find out what she was thinking and feeling. He loved the girl, and didn’t want to hurt her anymore than he already had.

 

“What do you want baby?” he mumbled as he fell into a restless slumber.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1441