Author's Chapter Notes:
Check the headings for day/time of day information.  It will go back and forth for a bit.  Let me know if you think of a better way to do that.  I'm open to suggestions!
Monday Morning

    Joe was sitting down for his regular breakfast date with Robyn, one of the administrative assistants on tour.  The two had become fast friends during the previous tour's rehearsals and tried to get together for breakfast as often as they could to keep some sense of routine and normalcy in their otherwise hectic schedules.
 
    Both were looking a little bleary eyed.  Robyn was sticking with toast and tea, trying to keep everything down.  She was mentally kicking herself for agreeing to go with Joey and the guys the night before; she had known she would end up like this--very tired and slightly hungover.

    Joey was just plain tired.  Normally he had no problem partying into the wee hours and then falling into bed to sleep.  He could get by on minimal sleep while he was on the road.  However, last night, when he had returned to his room, he couldn't fall asleep; there had been far too many thoughts running through his head.  Which brings us to today.

    "Hey, Babe?"  Joey waited for Robyn to look up.
  
    "Mmmhmm?"  She asked without actually saying anything.
  
    He shifted uneasily in his seat and swallowed hard.  "Uh, how much do you remember from last night?"

    Robyn felt her face turn red.  "Oh, this can't be good, Joe.  What did I do?  Please tell me I didn't get up on the bar and dance again!" 

    "No, Sweetie, you didn't do anything that embarrassing.  I cut you off before that," he smiled at her.

    Robyn got distracted for an instant by his smile.  She loved the way his eyes sparkled when he really smiled.  They reminded her of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, warm and homey.  She shook her head and came back to the conversation, "You're going to have to help me out here, Joe, I don't remember a heck of a lot and I drank more than I should have.  What were you thinking by letting me have more than two?  You know that I can't hold my liquor."

    He laughed, "Yeah, but it's so much fun to see you try.  Besides, Chris was the one lining them up for you. If I hadn't cut you off, you would have been bowing to the porcelain goddess all night."

    Robyn didn't reply.  She just gave Joe a dirty look and waited for him to get on with the conversation.  
  
    "You seriously don't remember talking to me?"  Robyn shook her head.  This was going to be harder than Joey had thought.  "Rob, you told me that you had just about given up on finding your Mr. Right and that there wasn't much hope of you ever losing your virginity since you wouldn't give it away to just anyone."

    "Oh, shit."  Robyn put her head down on the table with a groan,  "Tell me I didn't say more."

    Joey reached out and stroked her hair, "Well, you said a little more."  He paused and took a deep breath, summoning his courage.  "You basically told me that you thought I would be the perfect one to have your first ‘encounter' with.  Did you mean that?"

    Robyn lifted her head off the table and looked him in the eyes.  "Joe, I do not remember having this conversation.  Are you sure we did?"  Robyn was stalling.  She had thought about Joey that way recently, but she didn't remember actually talking about it with him.  When he nodded, she just sighed.  "Well, OK, yeah, I, I uh, think you would be a great lover, especially the um, the first time.  I know you have a reputation as a flirt and everything, but I see the real you, the caring and gentle and loving guy.  I know that if we uh, you know, that you would be gentle and loving and you would take care of me."

    Joey reached across the table and took her hand in his.  "You really think all that about me?" he was surprised and flattered.

    She looked up into his brown eyes.  "Yeah, Joe, I do.  We've been friends for a while now, and I've seen the real you, behind all the celebrity and stuff."

    He squeezed her hand and laughed.  "You know the real me and you still stick around?"

    "Of course!  Besides, you know the real me and you haven't run off yet."

    They were silent for a couple of minutes.  Robyn was very conscious of his hand on hers.  It was something that he had never done before.

    "Let's do it, Rob," he blurted.

    "Do what, Joe?"  She felt her insides heave to the surface. 

    "Let's do it!  Let's get married."

    "Phew!"  Robyn was relieved for a split second, "You want to get married.  I thought you just wanted to have sex."  She paused as what she had said sunk in.  Her jaw dropped and she looked at him as if he were crazy.  "What?"

    "Let's get married.  We get along so well and we love each other, and I know you want to wait until you're married, and I want to be the one to give you the first time that you deserve.  Let's just get married."

    "Yes, Joe, we love each other, but as friends!  That's not enough to build a marriage on."

    "Why not?  When you get past the whole falling in love stuff, what do you think is left in most marriages?  Friendship.  Come on, Rob.  You know I would do anything for you-"

    They were interrupted by the appearance of Chris.  "Hey, kids, what's up?"

    "Not much," Joey replied, releasing Robyn's hand. 
   
    Chris pretended not to notice Joey's quick movement and sat down beside Robyn.  He stretched his arm across the back of the booth seat and pulled her closer to him.  "Hey, Sweetie Pie, are you going to come watch our interview today?"
   
    "Please, Chris, do you really think I want to hear you guys answer all the same questions you answer every day?  Besides, I've got a lot of work to do today."

    "You should just tell your boss to shove it and come with us," Chris smirked.

    Robyn looked at Joey with an evil glint in her eye.  "Hey, Chris, shove it!"  Chris's jaw dropped.

    Joey cracked up.  "Hey, don't look at me man, she just did what you told her to!"

      "Chris, if I don't do my work, you guys won't have anymore interviews to give, did you ever think of that?"  Robyn asked.

    "Well, since you put it that way, I guess you can miss this one," Chris laughed.  "So, Joe, ready to hit the road?"

    "Yeah, I guess," Joey responded as he stood up.  He looked across the table.  "Think about what I said, OK?"

    Robyn swallowed hard, then nodded, "Sure, Joe, I will."

    "Have fun making phone calls!"  Chris laughed.

    "Have fun answering questions about what kind of underwear you may or may not wear!" she returned. 

    
    Chris and Joey were waiting in the lobby for the others to join them a few minutes later when Robyn walked out of the restaurant. 

    "Hey, Chris, I forgot to tell Rob something, I'll be right back."  Joey sprinted down the hall after her.

    Robyn was deep in thought, off in her own little world, when Joey threw an arm around her waist and pulled her down an empty adjacent hallway.

    "Joey!  What the hell?  Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" she clutched her chest.

    "Sorry, sweetie.  I didn't mean to scare you, I just wanted to give you something to think about today."  With that, Joey cupped Robyn's face with one hand and drew her in close to him with the other.  Robyn brought her hands against his chest.  Part of her wanted to push him away and the other part wanted to pull him closer.  Once she felt the gentle way his lips caressed hers, there was no contest.  She slid her hands up his chest and wound them around his neck.  His kiss was sweet and undemanding and she felt it all the way to her toes.

    Just then, they heard Justin call, "Joey!  Let's move it!"

    Joey pulled slowly and reluctantly away.  "Have a good day, sweetie," he smiled and ran his thumb over her lips.  "I'll see you later."

    "Yeah, I'll see you later," Robyn said dazedly.  She watched Joey walk off to join his band mates with a grin on her face.  As she headed towards the elevator, she let out a giggle; this was so totally unlike her!
 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: proposal joey