11. 'Cause I'm An Idiot

Two months later, and still no word from Summer. But then, I didn’t necessarily attempt to call her or any shit like that either. I was far better off without an illegitimate kid to fuck me up. I was willing to step up, but if she was just gonna push me away, what more could I do? Move on? Exactly.

So, I moved on to Michaela. When she came over to our house for Thanksgiving, my sole intentions were to just fuck around with her for awhile since I was stuck in Memphis and all. Out of boredom, me and Trace even concocted a bet where I’d have to hand over my first Harley to him if I didn’t have her in bed by my birthday. “ It would’ve been New Year’s, but he cut me some slack since I went back into promo mode by Christmas.

But somehow, somewhere along the line, I started liking her crazy ass. She was fiery and kinda arrogant in some ways, but I found another side to her that was very down to earth. She shared my passion for basketball and cars, as well as my distaste for air travel and Memphis weather. She made me laugh, she made me smile “ genuinely, and I definitely appreciated that about her. It wasn’t too long before I came to the conclusion that you just don’t bet on Michaela Woods. ‘Cause you’re gonna lose.

So, we hung out when I was home and talked on the phone or online every moment that I wasn’t. Since she was in school, there wasn’t much time for her to fly in and out of all the cities I had to be in, but so far, it had been goin’ pretty good. We were making a friendship work. And we’d agreed that that’s all we wanted from one another.

It was the end of January as I aimlessly drove the warm streets of Los Angeles in my silver EXT, while Trace, Michaela and I managed to create conversation based in essentially nothing. And somehow, I was still completely engaged in it. In fact, Michaela was very engaging, herself “ in a very platonic way. She was reminiscent to what me and Devin shared... before the awesome sex, that is.

“So, J, where the hell are we headed?” she asked from the backseat, flipping through buttons on the DVD player.

“Uhh, I don’t really know,” I chuckled, sleepily. “Where y’all wanna go?”

“I’m hungry,” Trace commented. “Let’s go to In-N-Out Burger.”

“I hope one of y’all got some In-N-Out Burger money for me, ‘cause I ain’t payin’ ten bucks for a hamburger that costs sixty-five cents at McDonald’s.”

“Mikey, shut up,” Trace shot back. “And what the hell are you watchin’ back there?”

“You shut up,” she smiled. “And I’m watchin’ Shrek.”

“Why?”

“Why not?”

“It’s funny you mention that,” I interrupted, “‘cause I met Cameron Diaz today.”

“For real? Where at?” Trace overzealously questioned.

“At the airport, getting off my flight from London,” I explained. “She walked right into me on her way through the terminal.”

Michaela, or more recently known as Mikey, laughed out loudly and asked, “Did you cuss her out?”

“Nah, she was cool. She apologized like eight million times and I don’t even think she knew who I was.”

“Did you get her number?” Trace hoped.

“Hell no,” I scoffed. “It’s Cameron Diaz. Why in the hell would she give me her number?”

“So you can use it, if she’s smart,” Mikey chuckled. “So, what exactly was your point in mentioning that?”

“I didn’t really have one. Sorry if I interrupted y’all’s banter to say that.”

“Well, in that case, can we get back to the food discussion? ‘Cause I’m hungry, too. And don’t be tryin’t to take me to any uppity LA joints.”

“If you’re gonna hang out here, you gotta adapt,” Trace told her. “Just like we do when we’re in Memphis.”

“I don’t remember sayin’ anything to you,” she quipped.

“I swear, y’all fight like twelve-year-olds,” I commented, turning down Cahuenga. “We’re about three minutes from the house, so y’all better think of somethin’.”

“Well, what does the birthday boy want? You should get first choice.”

Now that’s more like it. I looked at her through my rearview mirror and smiled arrogantly. “How ‘bout some chicken and waffles?”

“You wanna go to Roscoe’s,” Trace asked.

“Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about,” Mikey happily interjected. “How long do we have before the party starts?”

I glanced at the digital clock in front of me, although I knew we had more than enough time to eat and then some. “Only like... eight hours.”

“I can’t believe you’re gonna have all your bitches in one room,” she smirked. “Tonight should be fun, huh?”

Trace laughed, rolling down his window to shoot a bird at the passing paparazzi. “Fun is not the word. Shit’s gonna get crazy.”

“It’s not even like that,” I corrected them, merging onto the 101. “We’re all grown and I’m sure that all of them will be able to peacefully coexist for a few hours.”

“You’re stupider than I thought if you believe that,” he chuckled. “But okay.”

Well, I didn’t really believe it. Having invited Britney and Alyssa, Christina Aguilera and Kelly Osbourne, among others, I knew what I was getting into. But if I learned anything in 2002, it’s that you don’t get to the top without the help of others. Even if they don’t know they’re helping you.

Sharpshooter into breakin’ hearts
Baby gigolo, sex pistol
Hollerin’ at everything that walks
No substance, just small talk


“Hello?” Sitting in a secluded corner booth at Roscoe’s, my cell rang to the tune of ‘In Da Club’ and I absently answered while Trace and Mikey continued to argue their way through our meal.

“Happy Birthday!” cheered the person on the other end. It was a slight struggle, but I deciphered the loud voice as that of Britney.

“Thanks,” I smiled, her happy tone giving me an even happier one. “How are you today?”

“I’m awesome, man. I’m excited about your party tonight!”

“Well,” I coughed nervously, “I’m looking forward to seeing you. It’s been a while.”

“Too long, dude.” I heard her exchange a few words with someone in the background before she said to me, “Hey, are you busy right now?”

I looked at Michaela and Trace and then at our three empty plates, figuring we’d be leaving at any moment and decided to be honest. “Not really.”

“Can you come by? I don’t really wanna bring your gift to the party.”

“What is it?” I laughed.

“You’ll see when you get here, dude. I’m around, okay?”

I stared obliviously at my best friend in front of me, rolling my eyes playfully. Whatever it was, her excitement told me not to decline, so I replied, “Okay” and hung up the phone. “Listen, I gotta drop y’all off at the house; I got somewhere to go.”

Mikey dropped her large glass of Sprite to the table and nudged me with her small shoulder. “Got a booty call, huh?”

“You can tell by the look on his face,” Trace agreed. “Who is it, J?”

“I dunno what y’all are talkin’ about,” I grinned. “I just gotta go pick somethin’ up.”

“So why can’t we come?” she jokingly chided. “Huh?”

I looked down at her as if she were my child, smirking while I tried to think of a comeback. “How ‘bout you shut up.” It was the best I could do.

“Oh, J, I got a call from Pantera Sarah,” Trace informed me.. “She wants you to call her back before we head to Dublin’s.”

“Trace, I love how everything Justin does, you turn into ‘we’,” Michaela noticed. “It’s funny.”

“What?” his voiced raised about four octaves. “Girl, shut up.”

“Did she say anything else?” I requested, already dialing Sarah’s number as I slid out of the booth after dropping fifty bucks on the table.

“Nah, just to call her. Oh, and Tara called to say she’s riding with us tonight.”

“Who’s Tara?” Mikey asked, following me and leading Trace.

Inadvertently ignoring her question while listening to the ringing on my end of the phone, I said to Trace, “What the hell for?”

“I dunno, man. That’s just the message she left me.”

“Tara who?” she repeated. “Tara Reid? As in JC’s Tara?”

“That’s December’s shit. Keep up, girl.”

I held the door open for her, trailing her to the car while silently admiring her wide-eyed ignorance “ and I mean that in the least-negative way possible. She was adorable. I can’t believe I even thought to wager on gettin’ some from her. “She didn’t answer,” I remarked, hanging up my phone. “Did she leave another number?”

“She’ll call back. Just make sure you answer.”

The three of us hopped in the car in our same previous positions, me with about a million thoughts running through my mind. For once, in a quite a while, I was feeling stress-free. Sure, I was tired as all hell from my flight and had like fifty things to do before the night approached, but I was excited about all of it. So far, my 22nd birthday was going pretty damn well. Seemed like it could only get better.

You got a sleazy one track mind
Workin’ your game until you think you find
Who’s goin’ home with you tonight


After my rendezvous with Britney where I did, in fact, receive my “birthday present,” I returned to an unexpected house full of family and friends. My driveway was so damn full, I had to park at the bottom of it, cramped against the damn security gate.

As I walked the gravel hill, I could see the quickly approaching face of Mikey stalking towards me. “Hey,” I said nervously, seeing that her ever-present smile was noticeably absent.

“You bet on me?” she shouted, pushing me into my mom’s black BMW when we came face to face. “How fuckin’ dare you!”

“What?” I feigned ignorance because... well, that’s what I always do when my ass is on the line. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“Trace told me all about it, motherfucker. How dare you!”

“Mikey, just calm down,” I pleaded, hoping to shield myself from her punches. For such a tiny girl, she was fuckin’ strong as hell. “I’m sorry,” I said honestly.

“You son of a bitch!” She ran frantic hands over her disarray of curls. “I knew you were up to some shit,” she growled. “I fuckin’ knew it!”

“What? Why would you say that?”

“Because you’re you! God, you’re such a fucking asshole!”

“I haven’t even done anything to you!” I watched the side door of my house swing open and out of it came my asshole of a best friend, followed by my mom.

“You bet on me, you dick!” She quickly wiped away the tear that hit her cheek, biting her lip. “Thank you for proving me right.”

“There’s no bet,” I said quietly, feeling insanely guilty for ever even thinking about it. “There was one, but there’s not anymore. And I’m sorry. But, if you’ve noticed, I haven’t even made a move on you; nor have I thought about it.”

“You’re so full of shit,” she dismissed me.

“Mikey, we’re friends, aren’t we? We’re cool. Trace is just talkin’ out of his ass ‘cause he’s mad I called it off,” I said, glaring at Trace. “He’s just fuckin’ with you.”

“I’m supposed to believe that?”

“Yeah! It’s the truth,” I maintained. So what if I only called off the bet in my head? The point was, I hadn’t even tried to make a move on her. “Trace, tell her you’re a lyin’ bitch.”

“Why don’t y’all all come inside and get somethin’ to eat?” my mom suggested, trying to ease all of our tension. “Michaela, I have a big ol’ sandwich with your name on it.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Harless, but no thank you. I’m a little too pissed to be hungry,” she refused.

“Trace, tell her!”

“I dunno what you’re talkin’ about,” he chuckled immaturely.

“Trace!”

“Well, whatever the hell it was, how about you end it here, apologize to Michaela and Justin, join your guests, please.” My mom was obviously becoming impatient and took the liberty of suggesting her way out of our predicament.

“Sure,” Mikey agreed, staring at me sternly. “As long as I get to beat the two of them after they apologize.”

“Be my guest,” Mama chuckled heartily. “Someone certainly needs to.”

“Mom!” both Trace and I whined simultaneously.

“It’s true. Whether it’s over now or not, you shouldn’t have been bettin’ on her in the first place.” She used that opportunity to smack Trace in the back the head since he stood directly in front of her. “Now, can this be over?”

“It’s over,” I repeated reassuringly. “It never even started.”

“Dude “,” Trace tried to say.

“It’s over. And again, I’m sorry.”

My mom squinted her light blue eyes at me and then smiled warmly at Mikey. “Michaela, are you all right?”

“I will be,” she rolled her eyes, giving us that eye-catching smile of hers. “You just stay away from me.”

As we headed back into my crowded abode, my mother made it a point to also hit me in the head when I cockily replied, “Girl, you know you want this.”

I betcha think this song is about you, don’t you?

It was a little after 11:00PM when we arrived at Dublin’s Irish Pub on Sunset and it was packed. I wasn’t expecting anything less, but damn. As with any good publicity stunt, the photographers and all the entertainment shows were ready to aim and fire. Their flashes were going off before our entourage of big black Yukons could even hit the parking lot. All the chaos was just invigorating to me. This shit was gonna be fun.

After making press rounds, I led Mikey, Trace, Tara and whatever other extraneous people that tagged along, into the huge bar, making sure to greet all the important people and politely ignore the insignificant ones.

“Justin!” I heard a loud, but hoarse voice yell to me.

I stopped in my tracks on the steps and turned to see Sarah, the club promoter, striking a pose across the entrance area. “Pantera Sarah!” I shouted. Waiting for her to approach, I waved to my parents, who’d arrived mere minutes ahead of me, and silently greeted JC where he stood at the top of the staircase. When Sarah’s short frame made it over to me, I smiled happily and enveloped her in a hug. “What’s up, girl.”

“Happy birthday, sweetie.”

“Thank you.”

Together, we slowly paced into the crowded bar, her arm interlocked with mine. “So, is everything up to par?”

I glanced over the main room, admiring the white trash theme that it had going “ picnic tablecloths with tabloid covers strewn everywhere, beef jerky and Twinkies highlighting each table. “Everything is perfect,” I told her. “You did a kick ass job.”

“You made it easy,” she grinned, pushing her light brown hair from her face. “Listen, I need to know what photogs you want inside and who you want back out when you leave, ‘cause LAPD are shutting down the street for us until 4:00.”

“Let ‘em come back at 4:00 then. I don’t want those bitches inside.” Publicity or not, it was still my birthday party. I wasn’t about to have the damn paparazzi ruin it.

“You got it, darlin’.” Sarah hugged me one more time and I pecked her cheek before she motioned to disappear. “Have fun!” she exclaimed as we parted.

“You, too.” I turned, stupidly assuming that my crew had still been footsteps behind me. Instead, I was met by my soon-to-be tourmate, Christina. She had a red and white trucker hat draped over her black bandana-covered head, but I could spot those platinum and black locks anywhere. “Hey, girl.”

“Hey, you! We just can’t seem to stop running into each other,” she smiled, referring to our many run-ins in London over the past week.

“Always a pleasure, though.”

“Happy birthday.”

“Thank you, baby.” I bent down to embrace her, getting just enough of her scent to recognize that she smelled incredibly similar to Devin, which I could only describe as a fruit punchy scent.

And then, oddly enough, a familiar and loud voice behind Christina yelled, “Happy birthday!”

My heart leaped about ten feet, followed by an excited drop in my stomach. “Hey!” I dorkily answered, stifled by her presence. I let go of Christina and motioned to greet Devin with a similar salutation. “Long time, no see.”

“Yeah, well...” She gave me a weak smile and an even weaker hug.

“How you been?”

“Good,” she nodded, removing my brown visor beanie to throw it sideways over her newly brown and blonde hair. “You look good for twenty-two.”

“I look good period,” I joked. “I gotta say, I’m surprised to see you here.”

“I wouldn’t miss your birthday, dude. Even if you are an annoying asshole.”

“Yeah, plus I made her come,” Christina interjected, taking a drink from the Corona that Devin had been holding.

“Shut up,” Devin grinned. “I wanted to come.”

“Well, I’m glad you came,” I said honestly. “You gonna hang out for a while?”

“Until this bitch is ready to go,” she chuckled, referring to Christina. “Hey, Trace!”

Dumfounded, I turned, seeing Trace and Michaela finally finding me. “There y’all are,” I noted. “I’ve been lookin’ for you.”

“What up, Devin.” He ignored my realization to give her, as well as Christina, a big hug. “I didn’t know y’all would be here.”

“Couldn’t miss the first big party of the year, could we?” Devin replied. “Trace, is this your new girlfriend?” she questioned, glancing at Mikey.

That’s when Michaela quickly jumped into the conversation. “No, my name’s Michaela. And I’m just hangin’ out with these two.”

“Her name’s Mikey and she’s with me,” I proudly corrected, flirtatiously running my fingers down the sides of her long denim jacket. “Mikey, this is my friend Devin.”

I watched Devin silently eye the new girl with jealousy painted all over her creamy face. “Nice to meet you.” Not bothering to offer her hand, she instead pulled out a cigarette from the small purse on her shoulder, making sure to intimidate the hell out of everyone, including Mikey by completing her actions silently, coolly. She was fierce. “Justin,” she finally said, “you wanna come buy me a drink?”

“Umm, can I get you later? I wanna introduce Michaela to a few people before I get started.”

“No,” Mikey protested, “go ahead. I’ll be fine. I got Trace’s bitch ass to guide me.”

“Keep talkin’ like that,” Trace warned her jokingly. “You’ll be wandering around here alone.”

“No, I want you to meet a couple of people,” I insisted. “So, Dev, we’ll catch up later?”

“Yeah,” she obliged with obvious attitude, rolling her baby blues at my innocent friend. “Whatever you want.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Alyssa enter the already crazy room, along with her co-star, Holly, and some other dude I’ve never seen before. So, to break up the tensity of the small group that had formed, I took my hat back from Devin, adjusted the collar on both my jacket and my light blue and white shirt, and persuaded Mikey into the opposing direction by the small of her back. “I’ll catch up with y’all later,” I told them.

“Well, that was weird,” she commented while we headed to the other side of the club. “That’s the infamous Devin Delfino, huh?”

“That’s her.”

“She’s really... tall.”

I laughed, entering the VIP lounge where I didn’t realize Britney was being kept. I made a note to smile politely in her direction, but took Mikey to the couch furthest from her. “That’s better.”

“So, does Devin live out here?” she asked suddenly.

“Nah, she umm... she lives over near Trace’s house back home.”

“Oh. Okay.” Michaela’s tiny, twinkling eyes seemed to shift uncomfortably in the dark room as she smiled uneasily. “So... out of all the people you could be with right now, why are you sittin’ here with me?”

“What?” I chuckled in confusion. “Why wouldn’t I be with you?”

“‘Cause even I wouldn’t be here with me if I could be with Christina Aguilera. Or even Devin.”

“I have all summer to chill with both of them,” I reasoned. “You go back to Memphis on Sunday and I don’t wanna waste any of our precious time,” I exaggerated. “And... I just like bein’ around you.”

“I’m only accepting that answer ‘cause I want you to get me a drink,” she grinned. “And because I want it to be true, even though I know it isn’t.”

Well, whether Mikey wanted to believe it or not, the scary part was that it was very true. As short as I’ve known her, she had been moving quickly to the top of my Maybe Girlfriend List, which had been nonexistent until we started hanging out. I think it was possible that I was actually starting to... like Mikey.

Oh, who you gonna give it to, who you gonna steal it from
Who’s your next victim?


I eventually found my way across the room to converse with Britney for a while. After fuckin’ her that afternoon, I didn’t have much else to say to her; but since I was workin’ on being a gracious host, I sat and laughed with her for a few minutes. “ Don’t know what the hell I laughed at, but damn it, I did it. And then, in my typical fashion, I dropped her and didn’t look back.

Oh, who you gonna lie to, who you gonna cheat on
Who you gonna leave alone?


I moved to Alyssa, thanking her and her mini-crew for coming; I hit up Kelly and Aimee, just to say Hello and shit; Nick and Jessica and Ashlee... well, the only reason I said anything to them was because I couldn’t avoid them when I was coming back up the steps.

Then, it was quickly back to Michaela. She had a beer in one hand, a drink in the other, and a smug grin on her face when I approached her, holding the exact seat she’d previously been in. “You’re back!” she smiled. “I thought you were gonna ditch me.”

“I told you I’d be back.” Removing the fuchsia trench coat that occupied my seat, I threw it behind us and sat down. “You look like you’re having a good time.”

“Yeah. It’s been fun.”

“Good,” I winked. “I feel bad that we haven’t had any alone time today when you came all the way out here to see me.”

“It’s cool.”

“So, I’m glad you’re havin’ fun.”

“I bet,” she rolled her eyes.

“You okay?” I questioned, noticing her sudden change in attitude. “You want another drink?”

“Oh, and now you tryin’ to get me drunk. You don’t waste any time, do you?”

“Sweetheart, what are you talkin’ about?”

“Justin, don’t fuck with me,” she demanded. “I’m not down for your bullshit.”

Sweatin’ me, but I’m not your type
You think you’re irkin’ me and you’re so right


“Mikey, I’m sorry about bein’ busy all day. We can chill all day tomorrow if you want.”

“I’ll pass.”

“What’s wrong?”

“You’re wrong,” she stated factually. “You get some kinda sick high outta fuckin’ with innocent people?”

“What?”

“I’m tryin’ really hard to maintain my composure, but I swear, if you keep actin’ like you don’t know what I’m talkin’ about, I’m gonna have to hit you.”

I’d rather keep the trash and throw you out
Nah, I ain’t gon’ go and act a fool


“I swear, I have no clue what I did,” I stuttered. “Are you mad ‘cause I left?”

“No.”

“‘Cause... ‘cause I talked to Britney?”

“No, Justin. Why would I give a fuck?”

“I dunno,” I laughed nervously. “Umm, are you mad ‘cause I took too long?”

“It has nothin’ to do with you leaving for those ten little minutes,” she shouted.

“Well, then what is it! What the hell did I do?”

She closed her eyes for a few seconds and then squinted at me before quietly saying, “I know the bet isn’t off.”

“Yes, it is,” I protested. “What are you talkin’ about?”

“I know the bet isn’t off,” she repeated, emphasizing every word. “So, tell me the truth, or I’m on the next flight to Memphis.”

“Mikey, I promise you, there’s no bet goin’ on. I decided like a month ago that I didn’t wanna go through with it.”

“So, why didn’t you tell Trace about your decision?”

“‘Cause I’m an idiot,” I admitted, trying to lighten her mood.

“No argument there.”

“I’m sorry I ever let it go there. But that was before we started really hangin’ out and before I started liking you.”

“You li“.”

“As a person,” I quickly added, attempting to save face. “You really are my favorite girl, though.”

“Oh, your favorite,” she sarcastically chuckled. “Well, I’m honored!”

“Mikey...”

“No, I really am. I’m so glad that I top the list of your people to fuck around with. But this whole little ‘I’m so interested in Mikey’ act that you have goin’ tonight, it ain’t gonna work, homeboy. I know you’re just all up in my ass tonight so you can win, and you can forget it.”

Not gon’ be your sucker
I’ll never be your lover


“That’s not what I’m doing!” I argued. “I thought you got that earlier.”

“Yeah, and I was stupid enough to believe your bullshit earlier. I’m done with it, though.”

“What changed your mind? What did I do?” I scanned the room, realizing that half of the occupants were staring at the two of us, so I decided to adjust my tone. “Mikey, whatever I did, I’m sorry. But there’s no bet. All I wanted to do was sit with you and enjoy my party.”

I’d rather make you suffer
You stupid motherfucker


“Well, you’ll have do that without me.” Very carefully, she tilted her red cup and let its contents slowly pour into the crotch of my blue jeans. “Goodnight, Justin. And happy birthday.” She smiled sinfully, passing me the half full Corona she had been holding as well as the pink coat behind us. “Give this to Devin if she ever comes back and tell her I said ‘Thank you.’”

Staggered by everything that had happened in the past ten seconds, all I could do was watch her walk away. I was about to get up and follow her when the unfortunate presence of my ex-girlfriend held me captive.

“I saw what just happened,” Britney informed me, obliviously taking the seat that Mikey had just occupied. “You okay?”

“I’m fine.”

“Who was she anyway? That was pretty rude.”

“She was a friend,” I said dryly, putting an emphasis on ‘was’ when it rang through my head. I downed the rest of Devin’s beer and stared unaffectedly at Britney. She seemed to be in her own little world, so I got up and left her. Again.

I shuffled my way through the crowded party, annoyed by people that wanted to talk instead of move. But luckily, I was soon enough back where I started, at the entrance to the bar, where my parents were still perched at the top of the staircase, my mom puffing on a cigarette, while my dad took swigs from his own bottle of beer.

“Mom,” I called, walking up the steps, “have you seen Michaela?”

She innately scratched her head and then ran her hand over her golden cornrows before answering. “I believe she’s gone. She told me she wasn’t feeling well and that she was catching a cab home.”

“Shit,” I hissed. I knew that ‘home’ meant Memphis and not my Hollywood Hills residence. “Fuck.” I had to add that just for good measure.

“What’s wrong?”

“I dunno. I dunno what happened.” Exhaling sharply, I leaned against the wooden banister, bored with my own party after merely an hour or so. “Have you seen Devin?” I finally asked.

“Yeah, she was in there, sittin’ at a table with the Playboy girls.”

“Thanks, ma.” I immediately headed back inside, scanning the tables for packs of women with oversized breasts. Then, I realized that I was in Los Angeles, and I’d have to do a more detailed search of the room.

“You ready to buy me that drink?”

Over the loud music, I managed to hear Devin’s voice behind me and I turned to see her picking at the nonexistent lint on her white tank top. “What did you say to Mikey?” I demanded.

“What are you talkin’ about?” she chuckled, taking her coat from me. “I didn’t say anything.”

“Come on, Devin.”

“Where is the little girl anyway? You don’t want her gettin’ lost in all these people, do you?”

“What did you say?” I motioned for her to sit down at an adjacent table before I slid into the booth beside her. “And don’t fuckin’ lie.”

“Look, dude, all I told her was to watch out for you, ‘cause I know how you are.”

“And?”

“And that’s it.”

“So, you didn’t mention anything about a bet?”

“Umm. A bet?”

“Don’t fuck with me, Devin. What did you tell her?”

“I didn’t tell her anything,” she shot back, becoming defensive. “Why would I know anything about a bet?”

“‘Cause you were with Trace and he very easily could’ve told you about it. Now, I’m not gonna ask you again. What did you say to Michaela?”

And then, yet a-fucking-gain, I was interrupted by Britney and her stupid ass small-talk. “Justin,” she greeted me as she walked up to the table, “there you are.”

“Here I am.”

“You just disappeared on me downstairs,” she giggled.

And somehow, that still wasn’t a hint to fuck off. “Sorry.” I watched her attempt to take a seat across from me and Devin, so I added, “Listen, Brit, I’m in the middle of something important here.”

“Yeah, we were just about to go fuck,” Devin added, smiling overconfidently. “So, if you could let us get to it, we’ll be finished in about three minutes, I’m sure.”

I glared at her. “You’re not funny.”

“I’m funny to me. I don’t care what you think.” Underneath the table, she kicked my foot with her four-inch heel and continued to grin at Britney. “So, Brit, why are you still sittin’ here?”

“Don’t be rude,” I instructed. “But, if you could excuse us, Britney...”

“She’s not serious, is she?” Britney incredulously queried.

“No, she’s not. But seriously, dude.”

“Okay, I’ll leave y’all alone. But when do you think you’ll be done?”

“I don’t know,” I answered in frustration. “Don’t wait around for me.”

“But I was kinda hoping we could talk, J.”

“About what?” I shot back. “What the fuck do we have to say to each other?”

“You know,” she whispered, her big chocolate eyes darting between me and Devin.

“No, I really don’t know. And I’d appreciate it if you’d leave me the fuck alone. I don’t have any room for you right now.”

“Oh, but you did this afternoon?”

“Yeah. But now I don’t, so if you could go bug someone else...”

“Justin!” Devin yelled, punching me in the arm.

“No, it’s fine,” Britney nodded, scratching at her nose. “Justin, thank you for a lovely night.” She used the end of her yellow scarf to quickly wipe at her eyes. “Good night.”

“Good night,” I finished, not bothering to look up anymore. Once she was finally out of earshot, I turned back to Devin, who’d been staring at me with intense blue eyes. “What?”

“You’re such an asshole,” she responded, shaking her head. “I can’t believe you treat your girlfriend like that.”

“Ex-girlfriend.”

“Whatever. You were together at some point. You should show her at least a little respect.”

“What are you preachin’ for. You treated her like shit, too.”

“I don’t even know the ho,” she countered. “Plus, she was getting on my nerves.”

“Aren’t you the author of the ‘just another fuckin’ ex’ theory?”

“Yeah, but there was never a ‘be a dick just ‘cause she’s another fuckin’ ex’ rule. Remind me to never be your girlfriend,” she yawned. “And can you let me outta here? I’m starting to feel claustrophobic.”

“No. I still wanna know what the hell you said to my friend.”

“I told her you were an asshole and that she’d better watch out tonight, ‘cause you were willing to do anything to win that bet,” she admitted. “And I said that you were only gonna break her heart in the end, so it’s best if she get the hell out now.”

“And...” I was so pissed at that moment that I couldn’t even get out my words. I clenched my jaw and tried to compose myself before I hit the bitch. “Why the fuck did you do that, Devin?”

“I wanted to,” she shrugged.

“Why? Why, Devin? Leaving me on a club floor with a broken foot wasn’t enough for you? You gotta take the one thing in my life that I haven’t treated like shit?”

“Yet.”

“What?”

“Maybe you haven’t treated her like shit yet, but it’s coming. It always comes.”

“Oh, and when did it come for you?”

“I didn’t let it get there,” she answered.

“And so, now you’re concentrated on ruining all my other relationships, too?”

“No, I don’t care that much. I just thought I should warn the little girl.”

“I wish you’d stop calling her that,” I sighed. “She’s only a year younger than you.”

“And half my size. Sorry, but she’s little to me.” She took the beer bottle that I’d been holding and downed the last two drops while staring at me like I was supposed to be scared. “Well, now that you’ve gotten my confession, can you let me go?”

“No,” I simply denied. “You’re gonna sit there until I’m ready for your ass to move.”

“Ooh, I love this game.” She let her slender fingers trickle up the back of my neck and pulled my hat from my head for the second time that night. “Let’s go then, birthday boy.”

I leaned into her, as if I were about to make a move for her lips, but instead went for her ear to whisper, “Maybe some other time.” I took my hat back from her and slid out of the small table.

“Where the hell are you going?” she demanded.

“Ordinarily, I would’ve jumped on that. But, you ruined something for me that I really wanted, so thanks, but no thanks.”

I started to walk away, but as always, her voice automatically stopped me in my tracks. “I did it ‘cause I didn’t want her to take you from me,” she admitted softly. “I’m sorry.”

I turned and stared at her, not believing the words I was hearing. Had the tables been turned? Was I the one with control over Devin? How was that possible? “What?”

“I told her that ‘cause... I want you for myself.” She bowed her head and then gave me a pitiful look of sorrow. “I saw it in the way you smiled at her, introduced her, took care of her “ she was gonna have you on lock if I didn’t get rid of her.”

“Devin, that wasn’t your call to make.”

“I know.”

“And there would be no Michaela if you hadn’t left me,” I added.

“I know that, too. I shouldn’t have done that to you. I just wasn’t ready to admit it.”

“Admit what?”

“That I ‘liked you’,” she divulged, using air quotations with her fingers.

“So, that makes you a coward, in addition to a spoiled bitch.”

“That’s not fair, Justin. I had good rea“.”

“Life’s not fair,” I interrupted. “I don’t have time to play your little childish games and fuck around when you say it’s okay. I had a friendship with that girl. You get a little taste of jealousy and think you have the right to take that away? Fuck you, Devin.”

“J, I only did it ‘cause I want you. I didn’t try to hurt her.”

“I think it was you that coldly told me that we don’t always get what we want.”

Got a chip up on your shoulder, I just knocked it off
Show me what you’re gonna do, I ain’t bout to run
You have just run out of ammunition
Shootin’ blanks now


“Fair enough,” she sadly smiled. “I guess I’ll see you on the road then.”

“Guess so.”

“For what it’s worth,” she began, climbing out of the booth to stand face to face with me, “I only talked to her for about five minutes, but she seems worth more than a Hog, if you know what I mean.”

“I know she is.”

“Good luck, okay?”

“Thank you,” I rolled my eyes.

When our hands momentarily connected as she pecked my cheek, I felt this surge of energy hit my body and I got the urge to not let her go. There was certainly something electric about her that united us; even when I wanted to be pissed at her, I wanted to hold on tight. But her magnetic touch eventually tapered away and I was left wondering why I had just let my dream slip through my fingers.

After simply standing there with wet pants for a few minutes, telling myself that I couldn’t stay angry at Devin, I quickly headed back outside, crashing my way down the steps to call after her. “Devin, wait!” I yelled into the noisy outside area.

I noticed Christina enter the front of a black SUV, figuring that Devin was probably in the same car. But, I noticed just in time for it to be too late. They’d driven off and I was left standing on the sidewalk, alone again. That was twice in one night that I’d let what I wanted run away. I was finally starting to see that this had nothing to do with karma. I was just stupid.

You son of a gun


Lyrics:
“Son Of A Gun” - Janet Jackson (All For You)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyj friendsturnedlovers interracial boyfriendj love angryj tourj