Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much for all the lovely reviews!  I would love some more, so please send them my way and let me know what you think!  The plot thickens ...

He was restless. Everyone had gone out for lunch while he stayed behind to work on rusty vocals to a song he hadn't sang in a while, they all spending the entire day at the arena where the concert would be that night, Aubrey and Aundrea missing from the line-up after an emergency call from Diddy brought them back to L.A.

Long ago had he fixed his vocal arrangement, happy with how the song sounded; long ago he had stopped doodling and calling people for entertainment. How long could a small group of people actually have lunch?

Even the plush couch wasn't comfortable anymore, he having moved at least six times in the last three minutes, giving up on an attempt to nap.

He had given up on a lot of things as of late. He was such a quitter.

With Lucy gone back home, he had more time on his hands than he could handle. He now felt like a bored little kid, antsy with no place to go in an arena with nothing -

He stopped. The instruments were still on the stage from rehearsal. Bingo.

And suddenly, the antsy kid was an excited one, walking down the corridor in almost a skip, fingers grazing the cool tile on the wall.

"Come find me!"

"It's gonna be pretty damn hard to find you with a blindfold on!" He felt around with his fingers, touching walls, furniture, light fixtures. "C'mon, Rina, I'm gonna kill myself or something -"

"I would never let you kill yourself," she laughed, voice closer than it was earlier. "Come on, baby ..."

He paused in his steps, letting his senses take in his surroundings that his eyes no longer could. Within moments, he could smell her, hear her soft breathing. He felt like a bloodhound, laughing at his sudden comparison of himself to one of man's many best friends. "This is ridiculous."

"What is? And why are you laughing?"

He heard the pout in her voice, he only smiling wider, putting one hand outward while the other trailed along the wall of the hotel room suite. The room temperature changed as he walked through the doorway of the living room and into the foyer, confusion boggling his mind. Now, he smelled her and lavender. "Audrina Brianne ..." His voice trailed off as he felt the moisture in the air, realizing he was in the bathroom. His hands went to the blindfold, shaking his head in disbelief, "I thought you wanted to play 'hide and seek'?"

"We are," she said softly, he opening his eyes as the blindfold dropped off of his face and onto the floor. "You find me and seek out your present."

"I won't be finding much if you're gonna stand there in that," he mumbled, nudging his nose into her cheek and nuzzling against her face, she laughing as the two-day unshaven face tickled her skin.

"I thought I'd draw you a bath and show you just how to relax the amazing way," she said softly, hand holding the side of his face as her eyes cast downward to the bath, pulling away from him and sitting on the edge of the tub. "It's good."

"As promising as that sounds, I'd rather not acknowledge the fact that I'd be relaxing in a girl bath."

"Not even with me?" She jutted out her lip as she untied the robe, his eyes widening as he realized that there was nothing underneath it. "Afterwards, we were going to play 'find my clothes' ..."

He chuckled at her bad joke, shaking his head as she got up, her fingers playing with the hem of his shirt and slowly pulling it up and off of his body. "Who would have thought that this little girl from Kentucky with the biggest religious family would be the biggest sex fiend?"

She slid her hands across his chest and to the middle of his back, she placing gentle kisses to his shoulder and shrugging. "It's not like I was like this before you; you did this to me, baby."

"I did, didn't I?"

She looked up at him, a gleam in her eyes. "Don't get cocky."

"Well, I can give you -"

She silenced him, pressing her lips to his, murmuring, "shut up."

"You know, if that's how this relationship is going to be with you talking to me like that, I don't think we're gonna last long."

"Right, because every birthday that you have, you always look forward to what I have in store."

"Only because I know the end results."

She laughed, hitting him playfully. "Perv!"

He froze in his spot. What day was it? April what? April ... 18th? 19th? Grabbing his phone, his eyes widened. It was the 21st. Audrina's 29th birthday.

He shook off his thoughts, approaching the front of the arena and stepping in, freezing when he heard a piano, the melody a sad and haunting one. His eyes settled on the figure behind the piano, mind blank. It was Audrina.

Sinking slowly into a seat, he watched her, mesmorized by the song and by her voice. She hadn't sat behind a piano probably since the ending of the album recording; this was her at her best. The piano was her best accessory; when they were dating, he used to love to sit on the bench beside her and just watch, though it usually meant she would do the same to him.

It always was probably the first time in three days that they had been in the same room together. Well, a room the size of a couple hundred.

And then she began to sing.

He remembered the song, a song that Brian had sung at a show he had accompanied her to back when they were dating. Suddenly, Brian's strong, pleading voice was disappearing from his mind, taken on by a more soft, nurturing one; one that brought JC's stomach into a frenzy. He couldn't take his eyes off of her.

... And now I gotta move on
I've gotta catch up to the world
Even though I gave you my life
As wrong as it seems, I know it's right

But is there a place where I can go away
To escape the love that I will forever know

Where can we go from here?
All I know is that I love you still
Sometimes we do things against our will
I know I cry lonely tears
Where can we go from here?

Why, why do I cry inside
For a love that's gone away
And how can I carry on
When I know all the love is gone

Where can I go to get away
From the pain of loving you?
Tell me where ...

Where can we go from here
All I know is that I love you still
Sometimes we do things against our will
I know I cry lonely tears ...

Tell me where can I go to get away
From the pain of loving you
Where can we go from here?

It was quiet as she finished, staring down at the piano. He got up quickly, and by the grace of God, did not make a sound to startle her still form, he closing in by the end of the stage when she finally saw him. "Wait," he said softly, watching as she got up from the piano, "Rina, wait."

Her eyes crossed over the top of the piano and towards his, the look in her eyes one of fright. "I didn't know anyone was still here. I thought that you had gone to lunch -"

"Apparently, we both decided against it and had the same idea." He leaned up against the stage, watching her as she diverted her eyes, fingers dancing across the ivories and keeping her gaze away from him. "Happy Birthday, Rina."

She pressed a chord, still looking down. "Thanks."

They let the silence linger, he growing uncomfortable and hating the distance between them. "I'm sorry, too."

"Thanks."

He raised an eyebrow. Huh? Pulling himself up, he stood to the side of her, her already tiny hands smaller against the large keys. "Audrina, you okay?"

"Fine."

"Bull."

She looked up at him in surprise. "Excuse me?"

"You aren't 'fine'."

"Okay, so maybe I'm not; what's it to you?"

He sighed, defeated. "Nothing, I guess." He gave her a small smile, turning on his heel. "See you 'round, Rina."

Her soft voice stopped him in his footsteps, bringing him to a complete stop. "You're the only one who remembered."

"Remembered what?"

"My birthday." She responded, he turning and meeting her sad gaze. "Drea and Bree haven't called, Brian hasn't even called ... but you, you said something."

"I am a good guy sometimes, Rina."

"Yeah."

He stepped forward, reaching down and tugging on her elbow. "C'mon."

"Where are we going," she asked softly, letting him pull her away from the piano and out of the theatre itself. "Josh -"

He turned to look at her, looking at the face he had fallen in love with so many years ago. That was the first thing he noticed when he realized he was falling in love with her back then, how she said his name. How she let him be JC, but when she wanted to get down to the point of things, get his attention or get personal, she'd use his given name. "It's a surprise," he said softly, feeling her step closer to him as they approached the outside, fans waiting anxiously to catch a glimpse of one or both of them.

He opened the door to let her into the car, he leaning into the window by the driver and speaking lowly to him. As the man nodded and JC patted the car appreciatively, he slid in next to Audrina, glancing over her sad face. "Hey now, being with me isn't so bad, is it?"

She smirked, holding her head up on the door with her fist. "Maybe."

"I take that as an insult. You know damn well that you and I always had fun together." He gave her a sweet smile as she turned her head to meet his gaze, cheeks slightly reddening. "I wasn't even going there, you took that sentence upon yourself to make dirty!"

"I always do."

He chuckled, leaning his head against the back of the seat. She returned to being quiet again as he studied the side of her face, the face he had studied so many times and never forgot anything about it. Her eyes, a deep emerald (the green was from the Richardson side as she explained, she and Kevin sharing the green, though hers darker), always looked deep in thought, even when she was laughing. He called her his old soul when they dated, the intense gaze she looked back at him with flickered with happiness. Her skin was soft, especially in the spot that he loved to bury his face into, the sweet spot below her ear and along her jaw. She had a small scar by her left eye from walking into a door when she was a child, a scatter of freckles across her nose.

She had a cupid's bow mouth, with the perfect plump bottom lip and the two arches of her top lip looking like the top of a ribbon. She never wore lipstick, swore it off when she was sixteen and had red lipstick on, it staining her lips and keeping them that way for days after, even after she scrubbed.

And though he had no intentions to, his eyes slowly traveled down her body, from her small hands to her legs; legs that he had always watched when she was dancing, usually knowing where they'd be by the end of the night. Her body was soft, much unlike Aubrey's, who swore on her six pack and cut stomach, more like Aundrea, who watched her weight but didn't want to lose the feminine touch of her body. Her stomach was flat, but she didn't beat herself to get the body of Britney way back when her stomach was all the rage. She had a tiny scar on her chest from an exploratory surgery that was right below her breast bone, a birth mark on her hip in the shape of a half heart ...

"Jace, what are you looking at me like that for?"

He jumped, blinking once, twice. "Huh?"

"You're studying me or something ..."

"I don't need to study you," he said softly, she taken slightly aback, "I already know every part of you."

She blushed. "O-okay ... then ... why are you looking at me?"

He shrugged. "I'm just thinking is all."

"Oh."

The car stopped, he opening the door and extending his hand to help her out. The small, petite hand he had been looking at earlier slid into his as he tugged gently, she standing up and eyeing him. "So where are we?"

He released her hands, shoving his now free ones into his pockets and glancing back at the little shoppe behind him. "A little mom and pop ice cream parlor."

"And ... why would we be here?"

He grinned, turning slowly and letting her walk along side him as they walked to the door, he letting her in before him as the cool air hit his face. "I know you love ice cream and I was hungry."

"So, you being hungry brought us here?"

"Well, that and with my last tour I came here and the ice cream was amazing," he grinned, she rolling her eyes with a smile. "Go sit, I'll get us some."

"Jace -"

"I know what you eat, Rina," he laughed. "Go sit. I promise I won't let them lace it or something."

"That'd be you."

"Damn right," he grinned. "Now go sit," he said as he nodded towards the booths in the back. "I'll be there in a little."

She sat down, drumming her fingernails against the table. It was a quaint, cozy place with a sodapop shoppe feel, the main color schemes being red and white. It was a sweet-looking little place, but she couldn't stop looking at the body leaning up against the counter speaking to the woman at the register. She had caught him looking at her, what was wrong with her doing the same?

She chuckled to herself, looking away and down at the Blackberry Pearl that had become her birthday present to herself. It lit up from an incoming text, a small smile forming on her face. Okay, so maybe it wasn't just JC who remembered.

Happy Birthday, little sister!
Wish I could be there to ring
in 29 with you, but just know

that when you hit 30, I'm
gonna be right next to you,
rubbing it in and partying
my ass off! I miss you =(
Leigh and Baylee give their
love and birthday wishes, too.
Hope someone is treating you!
I love you, be safe, and have a
good show tonight!
*Bri

"What's that smile for?"

She looked up, seeing JC approaching her with two cups of ice cream in one hand and a cupcake with a candle in the other. "Brian. He just messaged me. Said Happy Birthday."

"Oh. Well, see, there you go: he didn't forget."

"Felt like everyone did."

"I'm sure they didn't. It's just been busy around here, you know?"

She shrugged. "I guess."

Watching in curiosity as he pulled out a lighter, flicking it until it lit, putting it to the candle. Her stomach fluttered as he sang to her, not quiet, but loud enough for only her to hear, his eyes bright as he held on to the last word, making it into a high pitched word as she laughed, he pointing down. "Make a wish."

"I don't believe in making wishes on candles."

He scoffed. "Oh, then just, entertain me."

"Fine," she laughed, closing her eyes and making a wish in spite of herself. To be happy again. For him to realize that he needs me. One of those would be sufficient. She blew out the candle as she thought those wishes, he clapping like an overenthusiastic parent. "You're something else."

He grinned, sliding the cup to her, one side a light green, the other a blue. "What -"

"Mint Chocolate Chip and Cotton Candy," he grinned. "I know you love both so I thought I'd get you half and half."

"How thoughtful," she chuckled, giving him a sweet smile. She put the spoon to the mint side, putting it in her mouth as he watched her with a happy look on his face. "What now?"

"It's just good to see you smile, is all."

"I smile all the time."

He shook his head. "Not like that."

"I never had a reason to, I guess."

"You should do it more often," he said as he licked the remnants of the first spoonful off of the plasticware, "you always had a beautiful smile."

She looked at him, spoon hanging out of her mouth. It had to of been attractive, she knew, but she didn't care. What was going on here? When did they start talking again? When were they suddenly cordial?

It's undeniable that we should be together
It's unbelievable how I used to say I'd fall never

Her stomach twisted as she heard the words of a song, his eyes burning into hers. Suddenly, she felt like she did when she first started having feelings for him: the stomach butterflies, heart racing, clammy palms feeling that every time his eyes looked at her in that way, she was putty in his hands. She knew he was listening to the music, eyes still on her as she busied herself with her slowly melting ice cream, closing her eyes and enjoying the sweetness of the cotton candy, eyes fluttering back open, he still looking at her. "What?"

"I really am sorry about what happened," he said finally after a long period of silence, "I never should have taken it out on you and treated you like I did."

"You're right, you shouldn't have," she said softly, shaking her head as he took another bite of his ice cream, reaching over and breaking a piece off of her cupcake as her mouth dropped in shock. "Who said you could have some? Now I don't know if I want to eat it after God-knows-where your mouth has been ..."

"Argh, I'm clean, you know it," he laughed as she raised an eyebrow. "What? I am!"

"What about Lucy? I don't know this chick."

He scoffed. "I don't even know this chick."

"But you're fucking her."

Ouch. She watched the mental hit to his face as he sighed, giving her a slow shrug. "Yeah, I guess I am."

"Well, it's you're either putting your dick in her or you're not," she stated, putting more ice cream into her mouth, "I mean, it's not like she wouldn't vocalize if you had."

"And what do you mean by that?"

She froze. "I mean nothing. But it's obvious when someone's got a dick jammed in you."

"And you'd know."

"Must we go back to that? Yes, I would know. How would I know? Because it was your dick!"

"Such foul language for such a religious little girl."

"Right. If I was that religious, you and I never would have slept together."

"And I thank God in my own religious way that you weren't." He gave her a satisfied smirk as she shook her head in disbelief. "What now?"

"Why are we talking about sex between us when it was about you and the whereabouts of your mouth?"

"Because you can't get enough of it?"

She laughed, eyes never leaving his as he put another spoonful in his mouth, triumphant. "You're egotistical, you know that?"

"Only when I know I've done good."

"JC -" She stopped, shaking her head as he looked on in interest, "never mind."

"No, I'm not never minding," he grinned, "what?"

"Forget I said anything."

"Tell me and I'll tell you something."

"You don't even know what it pertains to!"

"So?" He set the spoon down, looking at her. "Tell me. C'mon, Rina, this is me; we used to be able to tell each other everything."

"That was when we were sleeping together."

"So? Why should it change?"

"Because I'm not seeing you naked anymore?"

He chuckled, closing his eyes. "That's funny, 'cause right now, I can see you naked."

"You're disturbing."

"And you need to tell me what you were going to say."

She sighed, feeling her face redden at the impending doom that would surface from her comment. The ego would fly shortly. Getting a big spoonful of ice cream, she shoved the spoon in her mouth and mumbled, "you didn't even have to do anything; just looking at you got me off."

He nearly choked on his own air as he managed to figure out what had escaped her lips. "Whoa!"

She blushed. "Yeah, well. That's what you get, right? Take the virginity of the girl who was in love with you and just telling her it was hot outside would get her all bothered."

He grinned. "I'm going to have to remember that."

"Great," she mumbled, shaking her head as she continued to suck on the ice cream that she had shoved in her mouth. And yet another attractive feature that probably turned many men on. "Now, you."

He put the spoon in his mouth, ice cream already gone. Pig. "Let me think."

She studied him, he looking at her with a slow smile spreading across his face as they just sat across from each other, enjoying the company. She thought she'd regret coming out with him, but she was happy she came. He always made her laugh, always made her forget about the bad stuff.

So incredible, the way things work themselves out
And all emotional, once you know what it's all about, babe
And undesirable for us to be apart

Time froze at the line in the song, the only two people in the parlor she and JC. Her blinking slowed, his tongue slowed as it came out and snaked across his bottom lip. She was getting sick of hearing songs that made her want him more; sick of songs that made her love sick.

Never would have made it very far
'Cause you know you've got the keys to my heart ...

"This one really isn't embarassing," he said, breaking her from her reverie, he still sucking on the spoon. Oh, good God ... "Not so much for you as it is for me."

She nodded. "Okay ... ?"

"Well, you know how I had the hots for you back when we met, right?" When she nodded in response, he continued, "well, I wasn't going to do anything about it until your brother told me to. I kind of asked your brother for permission to date you."

"So that is why you're his favorite!" She laughed, shaking her head as he held his hand up. "There's more?"

He nodded. "And then I chickened out and actually had planned on asking you out at Christmas, but felt weird because I was still getting used to the slight age difference."

"It's three and a half years, JC."

"Back then, it seemed a lot bigger," he said, defending himself. "You were what, going on 21? We didn't start dating until you were 22 because I felt like I was robbing the cradle and I was only going on 24 ... I felt like a pedophile."

She laughed. "At least you got over it. Otherwise, well, you'd never know the amazing Audrina as well as you do."

Her phone beeped. Yet another text.

I have no idea where
you are, and JC is not
answering his phone.
Where are you guys?!
I hope you didn't kill
each other. I need you
both back here for sound
check.
Johnny

She chuckled, getting up and picking her phone up. "We better go. Johnny is having a bitch fit because he doesn't know where we are."

"All right." JC got up with her, taking the cupcake and letting her walk ahead of him, thanking the people at the counter. The small, teasing talk continued all the way to her dressing room, she still holding her ice cream cup, he finishing off the cupcake, she giving it to him as he smirked. "I'll see you on stage."

She smiled, nodding as he began to walk away, her voice stopping him. "Josh?"

The look on his face was indescribable as he turned to look her, the smile on his face contagious. "Yeah?"

"Thank you for this," she said, lifting up the empty cup of ice cream, "and for not forgetting."

He grinned, shoving the remnants of cupcake into his mouth. "You're welcome, Audrina. Happy Birthday."

She returned the smile, the familiar flutter in her heart beginning as she studied his face once more. The smile lines by his eyes, the blue-green orbs staring back at her with a happy light to them, the smile full. The cupcake crumb just hanging out on his bottom lip ... She chuckled. "You've got crumb on you."

Putting a hand to his mouth, he swiped, she shaking her head and stepping forward to point it out. He missed yet again. "Is it glued there, good God!"

She laughed, shaking her head and standing on her tiptoes, swiping it with her hand and gasping as his hand caught her wrist, face suddenly serious. "Josh ..."

"This is totally cliche with what just happened, but I can't help it -" he stopped, blinking slowly and lowering his face, nudging her nose with his as her lips parted. She had granted him access, mouth capturing hers tenderly, he holding her face as her hands rested on his chest, the cup dropped to the floor the moment his mouth touched hers. The kiss deepened, he releasing one side of her face and sliding to the small of her back, pushing her into him and letting his tongue meet hers. It was as if they had never stopped, as if they had just picked up where they left off, as if they -

"JC," she said softly as she pushed away from his chest, breathless, "we can't do this."

His heart dropped. He had made a mistake. All those reasons, signals - they were all wrong. She didn't want what he did. "Why?" He was almost afraid to hear the answer, she licking her lips slowly, self-consciously doing it also, tasting the mix of mint and cotton candy.

"Because you have Lucy," she stated, eyes darting everywhere, not looking at him, "because you have a girlfriend and cheating is wrong. Because it's us and -"

He stopped her, fingers gripping her chin. "Just say it, Audrina. Stop rambling."

Her eyes welled up and he suddenly felt his whole world fall apart around him. "Because I can't be with you, okay? I want to, but I can't let myself get hurt again.  I'm sorry."  Her words came out strangled as she fought back tears, they slowly falling down her cheeks and onto his hand.  She shook her head away from his hand, turning and opening up her dressing room door, slamming it shut. The obvious click of the door was heard, echoing in his ears.

So that was set, they couldn't pick up where they left off, regardless of how they felt for each other. Regardless of how good she felt against him, how her smile still made his stomach knot; they were done. Dead and buried two years ago. He had to move on, regardless of how bad it hurt.

He put a hand to the door, closing his eyes and blinking back emotion. He didn't know how much more of this tour he could take.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: firsttime tour triangles boyfriendjc showersex hospital bsb