January 21, 1998

“Are we good?” At the technician’s nod, Justin pulled off the headphones and pushed through the door, leaving the booth behind and crossing the studio to drop onto the couch next to Chris. He started the chain by jabbing Chris in the side, who in turn leaned over and nudged JC in the ribs, rousing him up from his nap. “Hey, man. They just finished my verse. You’re up.”

“Yep.” Never opening his eyes, JC burrowed further into the cushions, breathing deeply. “Just a sec.”

“Jace. They’re almost ready for you.” Chris shook him harder, earning a blue-eyed glare in return. “Dude, don’t shoot the messenger. Get your ass in gear so we can get this finished and call it a day.”

“Sounds good to me.” With a loud yawn, JC got to his feet and stretched. “What time is it, anyway?”

“Going on eight.” Lance spoke up from a recliner on the other side of the room. “Get your leads down, and we can hit the road for food.”

“Awesome. Jen told me about a great little café about two blocks from here.” Glancing over at the technicians, he saw that they were still finalizing Justin’s last take. “She was up here last summer and went for lunch, said we needed to try it. Apparently, they’ve got a killer sandwich menu.” He groaned, scratching the back of his neck. “Or there’s a pizza place she swore by, too. Whatever.”

“Count on Hot Stuff to know where the good food is.” Joey laughed, turning his hat backward on his head. “Did she find these by accident, too?”

“I think Richard Marx was her food guide for that trip.” Shrugging with a quiet chuckle, he nodded when a tech motioned for him to go into the booth. “How crazy is that?”

“I don’t know. I can kind of picture her having lunch with him.” Justin grinned, stretching his legs out in front of him as the door swung closed behind JC. “Maybe one day she’ll introduce us.”

“Yeah, sure, J.” A blonde brow arched as Lance opened one eye to look at him. “Maybe for the next album, right?”

“Hey, if she was her usual charming self, I’m betting she’s gotten at least one call or e-mail from the guy.” Chris glanced down when the cell phone next to him began to vibrate. Jen had gifted them all with a phone for Christmas, but JC’s was the same model as hers, setting it apart from the others. “Have we ever met anybody who could resist her?” He picked up the phone, turning it over to read the display. “Speaking of angels who fell from heaven …” Flipping it open with a smile, he leaned back on the couch and closed his eyes. “Hey, Gracie. He’s in the booth right now. Wanna talk to me for a while?”

“Hi, Spazz.” Her voice was surprised, accented by a scraping noise in the background. “You sound tired. How’s it going?”

“It’s going great, it’s just been a long day.” He sighed. “We’ll be finishing up here as soon as your man gets his leads down.”

“Done in one day? Wow.” She laughed. “Is that a record or what?”

“Well, the material was awesome, so it went easier. And that’s just our part. The engineers still have to do all their mixing and stuff.” The music started up in the booth, JC focusing on his lead sheet as he waited for his cue. “Hang on a sec. I’ll see if the techs will turn it up.” Turning to the men sitting at the board, Chris raised his voice. “Hey guys, can you turn the volume up? The songwriter wants to hear what we’ve got.”

“Sure thing, man.” The dark-haired tech flipped a few switches and sound began to flow around them with more volume. “If that’s Jenny Lawson, tell her Ed says hi.”

“Okay.” Puzzled, Chris went back to the phone. “Did you hear that? Ed says to tell you hi.”

“Seriously?” She let out another laugh. “Right back at him. Is Dan there, too?”

“Nope. It’s Ed and Sammy this time.”

“Well, Ed’s a good one. He’ll do right by you guys.” A grunt carried over the line. “And if he doesn’t, tell him I’m coming after him.”

“What’re you doing?” His brow furrowed a bit when she grunted again. “Having issues?”

“No. Just trying to get laundry done.” Her voice was strained for a second. “I can’t reach the stuff at the bottom of the washer to load the dryer. You know, short girl problems. The stairs that Shan designed are pretty much limited to the kitchen.” A sigh escaped, and it sounded like she kicked the machine. “Ow. I need to get a step ladder or something. Then I’ll only have to worry about falling in.”

“Jen, if you need a ladder to do your laundry, maybe you should wait until there’s someone there with you. Then, if you do fall in, there’ll be an eyewitness to document it for future ragging.”

“Gee, thanks, Chris.”

“No problem.” With a laugh, he heard JC beginning his part with his cue. “Here we go. Listen to this.” Taking the phone away from his ear, he held it out so she could hear the verse that was being recorded.

In all of creation, all things great and small
You are the one that surpasses them all
More precious than any diamond or pearl
They broke the mold when you came in this world


“Well?” Pulling the phone back, he grinned. “What do you think?”

“It sounds fantastic. I’m so glad Josh got that verse.” Her smile was in her voice. “You know he’s gonna want to do it again, though. He’s never happy with the first few tries.”

“Yep. We’re all pretty much just napping and waiting for him to hit his stride.” Clearing his throat, Chris glanced over at Justin, who was swaying in time to the music. “Hopefully, it won’t be too long. I’m beyond starving. Should we do the sandwich place or the pizza?”

“If you have to choose, go with the pizza.” She hummed at the memory. “Best hand-tossed I’ve ever eaten.”

“Other than yours, right?”

“No, these guys put me to shame. They’ve got it down to a science.” Two metallic clangs were followed by mechanical rumbling, then the laundry room door swung closed, cutting off the sound. “I’ve got to get back to the office.”

“What are you working on now?”

“I seem to have hit the movie soundtrack goldmine, so I’m going through a few other requests Mac sent me.” She took a deep breath. “Maybe I can figure out what it is they seem to like so much and run with it.”

“Really? What’s winning?”

Iris and Uninvited got picked up for the City of Angels soundtrack. I’ve got a song appearing in some big disaster movie due later this year, artist to be determined. A few others are in development.”

“Oh, I loved Iris. Great work there.”

“Thanks. I liked that one, too. The arrangement was fun to work on. Remind me to play you the R&B version I finished last week.” The refrigerator door opened, and he could hear her pulling out a drink. “But I have to get back to it. They won’t write themselves.”

“Wouldn’t it be so easy if they did?”

“I know, right?” She snorted, twisting the cap off a bottle. “I’ve got to go, but could you pass me to J really quick?”

“Ah, the kid’s special tonight, huh?” He felt Justin sit up next to him, a smile brightening his features. “Sure thing, Gracie. I’ll talk to you later.” Holding out the phone, he wiggled it toward him. “You’re the man of the hour, J.”

“Awesome.” Taking the phone, Justin settled back with a grin. “Hey, Shorty. What’s up?”

“Hey. I just wanted to let you know to keep your calendar clear for March 25th.”

“March 25th?” His brow furrowed. “What’s happening March 25th?”

“You and I have a date, that’s what.” She laughed brightly. “I’ve already talked to Marianne, and she swears that she’ll do everything she can to keep you available for me.”

“We’ve got a date, huh?” He cast a surprised look toward Joey, whose brows rose questioningly. “Does Jace know about this date of ours?”

“Seriously?” Her eye roll was obvious. “Of course.”

“Just asking. Where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise.” There was a quiet sigh as a door closed behind her. “I’m pretty sure you’ll figure it out on your own, but you won’t get it from me.”

“Okay, cool. I like surprises.” His fingers ran through his hair as he thought over what she’d just said. “What did you have to do for Marianne to make a promise like that?”

“Not much. She’s a fan of banana bread.”

“Is that all? What a pushover.” A laugh escaped before he could yawn. “Hey, tell me something.”

“What?”

“How well did you get along with Richard Marx?” A devilish grin went Lance’s direction, who rolled his eyes. “Any calls or e-mails from him?”

“Fine, I guess. He’s sent me a few arrangements to look at and called to see if I could help him out with some stuff.” Her desk chair squeaked. “Why?”

“No reason. Just curious.”

“Okay, well, work calls, little bro. I’m gonna have to let you go.”

“All right. Have fun.”

“I’ll try. When Josh gets done, tell him I’ll probably be up late if he wants to call me back after y’all get some food. If not, that’s okay, too.”

“Oh, you know he’ll be talking to you by the time we make it back to the hotel.” Justin smiled, leaning forward on the cushions. “Give me just a sec and we’ll all say bye.”

“Sure.”

“Here goes.” He pulled the phone away from his ear and pressed the speaker button. “Jen’s got to get to work, so let’s say bye, guys.”

“Bye, Hot Stuff.” Joey sighed, rubbing his eyes. “Next time’s my turn, okay?”

“And mine, too.” Lance leaned forward in the chair. “Have a great night, Girlie.”

“You’ve got it, Joe Bear, Mississippi. You guys will want to try the Mountain of Meat at the pizza place, okay? It’s fabulous.”

“Will do, Gracie. Good luck with the movie music.”

“Thanks. Maybe he’ll be done soon.”

“Here’s hoping.” Justin laughed under his breath. “Bye, sis.”

“Bye, guys. I’ll see you in a few days.” There was a click as she ended the connection and the guys all traded smiles.

“You know what that means, right?” Joey grinned, settling back in his chair. “We’re getting fed Friday night. Score.”

“Awesome.” Lance ran his fingers though his hair, glancing toward Chris. “I still haven’t seen your new place. How do you like it?”

“It’s great. She had the entire basement redone, so I’ve got more room and she still had extra space to expand the game room and add a bathroom next to the rehearsal floor. There’s a corner for her boxing stuff and a soundproof room for her to practice her drums, too.” He sighed. “It’d be nice if I could pay her something for rent, but I sent most of the signing advance to Mom for Taylor’s tuition …”

“Hey, she wouldn’t have offered it to you if that’s what she wanted.” Justin’s elbow nudged his side. “You’re family, so she’s trying to take care of you since the rest of us are covered. Just keep her laughing, give her a lot of hugs, and eat whatever she puts in front of you. That’ll be what makes her happy.”

“I know. I just …”

“So how do you guys know Jen?” Ed turned toward them as he waited for Sammy to close out JC’s last session. “You record a lot of her stuff?”

“Oh, we go way back.” Chris grinned. “She’s pretty much our den mother. She herds us like cats, and we’ve just given up fighting with her.”

“Really? She’s a tiny thing to be taking on a group like you boys.” A dark brow arched as Ed studied the group. “Is she paired up with one of you or something?”

“Since you’re talking to us, we’ll say she belongs to Jace. If you were asking him, he’d say they’re not dating, but getting there. A work in progress.” All eyes turned to where JC was pulling out his wallet, fishing between the folds to slip out a small square photo. His features lit with a soft smile as he put it on the music stand, his thumb pressing it down. “Any other guy would have a condom in his wallet, but he carries a collection of her with him. Poor guy’s been a goner since I first met him.” Joey laughed as Ed looked toward him. “The rest of us have known her for a few years now, but they go all the way back to the first grade. Best friends who made it through high school before becoming sweethearts.”

“Well, he’s a lucky fella, isn’t he?” Nodding, Ed turned back toward the board. “You’re a lucky bunch, if she’s adopted you like that.”

“And we know it.” Lance sat back in his chair. “A lot of what we have is because of her, and we’re grateful.”

“She’s like our sister.” Justin’s brow furrowed. “You know, the big sister who knows exactly how to keep you in check, but you love her anyway? She can bake you cookies one minute, then turn around and knock you flat if you piss her off.” His eyes went to the booth, brightening with a grin as he listened to the newest take. “If this one isn’t it, it won’t be much longer. Why doesn’t he just start every session with her on the stand? It’d probably go a lot faster.”

“He’s got a method and he sticks to it.” Chris stretched out his legs. “Which picture is it now? The one from Pleasure Island?”

“No, that was back in Sweden. I think he’s been using the one Mom took on the roof of the cathedral in Berlin.” Green eyes closed as Lance crossed his ankles, smiling at the music surrounding them. “I don’t blame him. That smile of hers is killer.”

“Well, whatever he’s looking at, he needs to keep it up.” Ed spoke over them as the track closed out, then put on his headset and twisted the microphone closer to him, firing it live to speak into the booth. “Man, I don’t know what you’re aiming for, but if that wasn’t it, then we’re gonna be here all night. That was gold, kid.”

“Thanks.” JC’s voice was tinny as it carried through the room. “Can you play it back for me?”

“Sure thing. Let us finish it out and we’ll set it up.” Moving his fingers over the board, he began cuing up all the takes from the day, watching as they layered into the computer beside him. “Just for giggles, we’ll play a rough mix of it. Sit tight.” After a few minutes, he clicked a few buttons, then sat back as the track began playing through the studio. “There you are, boys.”

They all began to grin as the first chorus began, the mix needing just a little more blending, but otherwise perfect. By the time it was over, JC had come out of the booth and was standing with the rest of them, applauding themselves for a job well done. “That’s our winner. Thanks Ed, Sammy. You guys have been great.”

“Hey, we’re just here to do a job.” Sammy turned to watch the equipment, making sure all the data was stored correctly so they could hand it over to the engineers for final production. “You’re the ones who worked it out. Good times, fellas.”

“You guys head on out of here. It’s been a long day.” Ed shooed them toward the door. “Go grab a bite, call your girl and we’ll finish up.”

“Call our girl?” JC’s brow furrowed as he grabbed his jacket, picked up his phone and began following the group. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Gracie called while you were in the booth.” Chris pushed through the door ahead of them. “Said we should do pizza over the sandwiches. And she’s too short to do her laundry. Get the girl a step ladder when we get home.”

“Okay.” He let out a quick laugh, then sobered as he remembered that her first therapy session had been scheduled after her morning classes. “How did she sound?”

“Fine. She’s working on some movie request things, so she’ll be up late if you want to call her back.” Justin spoke up as they moved toward the elevators. “And she was letting me know that she and I have a date in March. You okay with that?”

“Ah, she got it worked out. Great.” JC bit back another laugh as he slid the phone into his pocket. “Back at Christmas, she was saying that she wants to do something special with each of you this year instead of getting you birthday gifts. I’m pretty sure the times won’t match up, so she’ll be surprising all of you at one point or another.” His elbow nudged Justin. “Looks like you’re first, J.”

“Sweet. So we can try to guess what she picks for the rest of us by watching what she does for him.” Joey grinned widely. “You’re the guinea pig, kid.”

“Perfect.” Blue eyes rolled playfully. “But it’s Shorty. Whatever it is, you know it’ll be awesome.” Glancing over, he caught JC’s smile as he tried to appear innocent. “You know where we’re going, don’t you?”

“Yep.”

“Any hints?”

“Not a chance. She’s excited to surprise you, and I’m not ruining it for her.” Shaking his head, JC led them in a right turn as they left the building. “You’ll just have to wait and see. Pizza’s this way, guys.”

“Really? Not even one little hint?” Justin grumbled, following quickly. “Come on, man …”

----------------------------------------

March 25, 1998

“You’re kidding.” Justin’s eyes were wide as she pulled the Corvette into a front parking space. “Seriously?”

“It’s late, but happy birthday, J.” She grinned over at him as she cut the engine. “I really don’t know much about the game, so you’ll have to talk me through it.”

“No way.” He stared at the arena, then turned back to her. “The Magic and the Bulls? Really? How’d you swing that?”

“It really wasn’t as hard as I was afraid it would be.” Jen reached into the center console for her wallet. “I have a friend on the board at the Orlando Theatre whose husband works with the Magic. The two organizations are charity partners and he was a huge fan of Les Mis. When he got caught in a bind and needed entertainment for the team’s benefit gala last month, he was more than happy to do me a favor in exchange for my time.”

“This is awesome!” A bright smile lit his face as he leaned across to hug her tightly. “We’re here all kinds of early, though. They won’t even be warming up for more than two hours.”

“I know.” She nodded toward his knees. “Open the glove box.”

“Why?” The box popped open and his brow furrowed as he pulled out the laminated passes and lanyards. “What’s this?”

“They’re hosting a donor’s event this afternoon. Both teams are having a meet and greet with Prime Level donors to the Boys and Girls Club before they start warming up.” With a shrug, she bit back a grin. “I may have made a donation. It’s a great cause, you know.”

“Meet and greet?” He choked on the words, then tried to breathe. “With both teams? We get to meet Michael Jordan?”

“Yep. They’ll have photographers and everything.” She reached behind her seat. “I asked your mom for one of your jerseys, so you could wear it tonight. She thought the red one was your favorite. Number twenty-three, right?”

“Uh, yeah. That’s perfect.” His fingers closed over the jersey she passed to him. “Jen …”

“We should get a move on.” Glancing down at her watch, she moved to open the door. “They’ll be starting soon. When we go in, they’ll give you a charity jersey for the players to autograph. After they finish up, we’ve got reservations in the clubhouse for dinner, so we can watch the teams warming up while we eat. Then we’re courtside just behind the Chicago bench. I know you like the Magic, but we’ll have to be Bulls fans tonight.” Getting out of the car, she draped her lanyard around her neck. “Make sure to hang on to your passcard. Your ticket information is attached to it. Let’s hit it, J.”

“Oh, my God.” He breathed deeply, then grinned as he got out of the car and pulled the jersey on over his shirt, the lanyard going over his head. Turning to where she was waiting for him, he wrapped his arms around her and lifted her from the ground, spinning a quick circle as he kissed her cheek repeatedly. “You rock so hard, Shorty. Seriously. Best gift ever. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” She smiled, hugging his neck. “I wanted to do something special with each of you before the group gets so big that it’s hard to go out without a fuss. As much as I love you all, I know I may not get to have you around forever.” Shrugging, she laughed softly. “Besides, what’s the point in having connections if I can’t use them to do something nice for my guys?”

“We’re always going to be your guys, no matter how big we get.” Justin set her down, then draped his arm over her shoulders as they began walking toward the arena. “You’re stuck with me, sis.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” Her hip bumped him playfully. “Now, let’s go meet your hero.”

***************************

“It’s all kinds of weird to be watching the game without the kid.” Joey spoke up as he carried a bowl of tortilla chips into the living room. “They’re his favorite teams. And who’s gonna hog the queso?”

“We are.” JC took the bowl of cheesy salsa dip from the microwave, stirring it quickly before putting it back in and starting it again. “I kept telling Jen that we could just order a pizza or something, but she wasn’t having it.” He glanced up as Lance walked by the counter. “Hey, man … grab the sausage balls, will you?”

“Yep.” Picking up the platter, he moved to the fridge and grabbed a few drinks to carry with him. “You want a soda? Or water?”

“Soda’s good. Thanks.”

“Actually, it’s kind of weird for it to be guys’ night, period.” Chris looked around the kitchen quickly, grinning when he found the container of cookies she’d promised. “I’m so used to Gracie being around, I think I’ve forgotten what it’s like for her to not be here.”

“Well, I’m sure they’re having a good time.” JC opened the microwave when it beeped again, smiling when there was a light steam rising from the bowl. “Perfect.”

“Have you talked to her?” Pulling a few more drinks from the fridge, Joey arched a brow at him. “Or is it all about Curly today?”

“She had class this morning and was working with Brian through lunch so they could finish early, but I saw her for a few minutes before she left to pick him up. She had to walk me through reheating everything. Like I can’t work a microwave.” Carrying the dip out of the kitchen, he shook his head. “Other than that, I’m not bothering her. This is her time with J, and I want her to have fun.”

“I noticed that he’s getting the Corvette treatment. Must be something major.” Picking up the remote, Chris raised the volume a bit as the announcers began talking about the game, the teams coming onto the court. “It kinda sucks that he’s missing this, though.”

“It’s all good.” JC settled on the couch with a chuckle, reaching for his drink as he studied the screen. “He’s loving life right now.”

“Right. You know what they were doing.” Lance dipped a chip in the cheese, leaning forward so he wouldn’t drip. “Is it safe for you to tell us where she took him, or do we have to wait it out?”

“Oh, you’ll find out. Trust me.”

“You’re being awfully calm, what with your girl being out with your friend.” Joey laughed, nudging him with his foot. “What gives? Not worried about her at all?”

“Nope. She wants to spend quality time with you guys, and I’m cool with that. I know she’ll be taken care of.” With a shrug, he took a swig of soda. “The way I figure it, if something happens that I don’t like, I won’t have to go very far to beat somebody’s ass.”

“That’s true.” Chris bit into a sausage ball and chewed quickly. “Can you at least tell us who’s next?”

“She doesn’t have a definite plan yet, but I’m pretty sure Joe is her next target.” His brow furrowed. “She’s been kicking around a few ideas, but it may take her a while to work it out. I think she was trying to keep it in order of your birthdays, but it didn’t really pan out.”

“Awesome. If the kid is winning, then I’m probably gonna score, too.” Suddenly sitting up straight, Joey nearly dropped his drink. “Oh, no way.”

“What?” Chris looked over at him quickly, then focused back on the game. “Is one of the cheerleaders topless or something?”

“Dude, seriously?” Dark eyes turned toward JC, sparking with humor as he watched his friend trying not to smile. “He really is loving life right now, isn’t he?”

“Man, what are you talking about?” Lance shook his head as a player for the Magic missed a basket.

“The next time they show the Chicago bench, look in the first row courtside.” Joey sat back with a laugh. “Just wait for it.” A few minutes later, the camera panned back across the bench of Bulls players, pausing in the perfect spot to show Justin and Jen, cheering from a pair of the best seats in the arena. “This game was sold out months ago. How did she manage that?”

“She just happened to know the right people and traded favors.” JC grinned, reaching for the chips. “The head of the Magic charity board needed entertainment for their benefit event, so Jenny stepped up in exchange for the VIP treatment tonight. Bringing in the local Grammy winner to perform helped them sell out their gala.”

“His surprise was going to the game?” Chris blinked in confusion. “But they left hours too early for that. Did they hit up a five-star restaurant first or something?”

“There was a meet and greet with the players before warmup, something to do with donations to the Boys and Girls Club. Jen was happy to put money into a worthy cause if it meant J could meet Michael Jordan.” The camera swept over them once again and he tried to get a good look at their clothes. “They were doing autographs, photos and stuff, so I’ll bet the jersey she’s got on is going to end up behind glass in J’s bedroom. He’ll never wash or wear it again.”

“They got to meet Jordan?” Lance’s eyes widened before he burst into laughter. “Okay, Justin’s peaked with today. Nothing will ever top that.”

“She literally made one of his dreams come true.” Chris’s voice was filled with awe. “My God, you guys.” He looked around him, grinning widely. “Gracie’s working miracles this year. Wonder what she’s got for the rest of us?”

“I don’t know …” Popping a sausage ball in his mouth, Joey chewed with a smile. “But if J got His Airness, I can’t wait to see it.”

----------------------------------------

May 7, 1998

Something was wrong.

Jen could feel it as she pulled into the garage, a creeping, crawling sensation chilling up her spine. Looking around the area outside the car, nothing appeared out of place or unusual. Everything was just as she’d left it when she’d loaded up Chris and JC that morning, heading out to deliver them to the airport before her classes. The goodbyes had been the same, all the guys giving her hugs before waving as they headed for their gate to board.

Even last night had been par for the course. She smiled, pulling the blue flannel tightly around her as she thought of how she’d been unable to sleep, tossing and turning for what seemed like hours. Just as she’d been about to get up and head downstairs to his room, her door had creaked open, and he’d stepped in. Without saying a word, he’d closed the door behind him and gotten into bed, sighing when she’d rolled onto her side and into his arms. He’d hugged her tightly to him, nudging her forehead with his nose until she’d tilted her chin up so he could kiss her.

For a while, he’d just held her, his mouth catching hers over and over again. Then he’d pulled back, pressing his lips to the top of her head, tucking her face against his chest and whispering how he’d miss her. “I’ll call every day, Boof. I promise. Even if it’s just for a few minutes.”

“I know you will. I’ll miss you, too.” She’d smiled and nodded against him, letting her fingers play with the hair on the back of his head. “At least you’re getting to go home for a while. You’ll have a great time with your family, and you’ll be back before you know it.”

Maybe that was what felt so wrong. Until now, the guys had been gone a few weeks at a time, finishing the record, making appearances for the release and performing promotional shows around the country. A full tour wasn’t scheduled to start until next month, but JC was planning to visit his family after their show in D.C., getting in some quality time with them before he was due in Minneapolis. Chris had the same thing in mind, heading to Ohio to see his mom and sisters. After that, they’d be coming home to begin the crash course of choreography for the taping of the TV special the Disney Channel had tapped them for.

It’d be a least a month before she got to see him again, and maybe that was what had her feeling off-kilter.

Or maybe it was that her evening class had been canceled. She wasn’t used to having free time on Thursdays, so it was an unexpected treat to find the notice posted on the classroom door, announcing that the instructor would see them for their final next week. Most of her courses this semester had required class time, pushing her final exams out later than she’d anticipated. Her break was delayed by a few weeks, but her self-study course for the summer semester looked as if it would be a breeze. She hoped to catch a few shows during the tour, maybe even visit for a few days before coming back home and burying herself in prep work for her showcase.

Shaking her head, she fought back the unease and got out, letting the Tracker door slam as the garage door lowered. Halfway to the door into the house, she froze, listening carefully, trying to decide if she’d heard something other than the rumbling of the machinery overhead. When there was nothing but silence, she let out a laugh, berating herself for being so paranoid, and continued into the front hall, dropping the rose from her windshield into the trash. The door closed behind her, echoing through the empty house.

Jen hung her backpack on its hook and walked down the hallway toward the kitchen, flipping through the day’s mail. Yet again, something made her pause, her eyes narrowing as she focused, taking in the silence around her. “Maggie, I’m home! What do you want for dinner?” The girl’s car wasn’t parked in its usual spot, so she really didn’t expect an answer, but if there was someone else in the house, it would give them the idea that she wasn’t supposed to be alone.

When no other sound came, she shrugged and moved on into the main rooms. Dropping her wallet and keys onto the counter, she tore open an envelope and turned toward the living room. Just as she was realizing that the alarm wasn’t crying to be disarmed, she saw the figure standing still just inside the hallway leading to JC’s room. Jumping with a shriek, the letters in her hand flew to the floor, sliding every direction as her hip slammed into the kitchen stools, knocking one over with a crash.

“Sorry, Jen. It’s just me.” Mark came closer, holding out a hand cautiously. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Mark?” Taking a deep breath, Jen straightened up, a shaky hand coming to her chest. “My God. You nearly gave me a heart attack.” Moving quickly around the counter as she picked up the stool and gathered her mail, she strategically put distance between them. “What are you doing here?”

“Adam sent me over with a few cases of water and soda for the party.” He gestured toward the refrigerator in the kitchen. “All but one six pack of water and two cases of Coke fit in the fridge out in the garage, so I brought them in here. I was just borrowing your bathroom when I heard you pulling in.”

“I didn’t see your car out front. How did you carry all that?” Blinking quickly, she let herself study him carefully. “And Maggie’s not here. How did you get in?”

“We’re not even two blocks away, Jen. It wasn’t that far.” A brow arched her direction as he pointed toward the two-wheeler sitting beside the front door. “I just stacked it and pushed. Brian gave me his key to the front door and Adam wrote down the security code for me.” With a shrug, he ran a hand through his hair. “I was just on my way out. Really, I didn’t mean to scare you. Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” Swallowing down the lingering panic, she nodded. “I’m good.” Forcing a smile, she glanced down at the letter in her hand. “My class was canceled tonight, so I was going to get in some work on blocking out my showcase.” Wrinkling her nose, she looked at him apologetically. “I’m afraid I’m not going to be good company.”

“I get it. Like I said, I was just on my way out.” He winked at her with a grin. “Wouldn’t want to interrupt genius, would I?”

“Genius?” She let out a laugh. “You’re the one graduating next Saturday.” Glancing toward the refrigerator, she bit her lip. “Are you and Nick sure that you don’t mind us celebrating this weekend? With finals being next week, we were afraid that some of our people would be heading home before the ceremony.”

“Oh, it’s cool.” Turning into the hallway, he began walking toward the door. “I wasn’t expecting a party at all, Jen. Thanks for thinking of us.”

“How could I not?” Following him at a distance, she watched him grab the two-wheeler and pull it after him onto the front porch. “You don’t finish college every day, you know. And with you heading off for that job in Nashville, you’ve got a lot to party about.”

“I was kind of hoping I’d get to stick around here, but I’m not going to complain about a good job back home.” He looked back at her as he started down the stairs. “Brian really did me a solid, talking to his friends in the country music circles. And it made more sense for Nick to take the spot at the studio, since he’s a local.”

“I’m just happy that it worked out for everybody.” The further down the driveway he got, the more she relaxed. Sighing quietly, she returned his wave. “I’ll see you Saturday.”

“See you, Jenny.” The two-wheeler bounced behind him on the sidewalk. “Don’t work too hard!”

Once he’d turned the corner, she went back inside, making sure all the locks were secured. After setting the alarm, she moved quickly toward the kitchen, grabbing the cordless phone off the counter and dialing. A few rings later, Maggie answered, laughter lifting her voice. “Hey, Jen. What’s up?”

“Did Brian give Mark his key to get into the house?” Her words were rapid-fire, humorless. “And did Adam give him the security code?”

“I-I don’t know. Hang on.” Maggie’s tone was startled, fading away as she spoke to someone in the background. A sigh carried over the line. “It would seem that they did, yes.”

“Tell them both that they’re officially off my happy list.” Jen gritted her teeth and headed down the hall toward JC’s room, still feeling uncomfortable. “I’m barely okay with him being here with the group. Coming home to find him roaming around with nobody here, doing God knows what, when he already gives me the creeps … that’s not cool, Maggie.”

“He was there when you got home?”

“Yep. Just standing in the hallway, not making a sound.” Brown eyes narrowed when she noticed that JC’s door was slightly ajar. She was sure he’d closed it before leaving that morning. “Nearly scared me to death.” Pushing the door open slowly, she stepped into the room, looking around carefully. “He said he’d just come in to drop off drinks and was using the bathroom, but Josh’s door was closed when we left earlier, and now it’s not.”

“Is anything missing?”

“I can’t tell.” She turned a slow circle, trying to take inventory. “He moved a few things when he was packing up yesterday. If something’s gone, I don’t know what it would be.” Swallowing hard, she checked the bathroom. “The whole place just feels off.”

“I’m sure it’s nothing, Jen.”

“Maybe, but I just don’t know about him, Mags. He gives me seriously bad vibes. There’s something wrong with him, and I don’t want him here unless one of us is home and the guys are with him. If my class hadn’t been canceled … there’s no telling how long he was here, or how much longer he’d planned on staying.” Her breathing was shaky as she closed the door behind her, walking back to the living room. “I want everybody’s keys back.”

“Seriously, Jen …”

“Exactly. I’m dead serious.” Sitting down on the couch, she looked around the house. “As soon as you get home, I’m calling the security company and changing the code. Tomorrow, I’m getting an appointment to have the locks changed.” A groan escaped as she thought more about it. “For all I know, he had the key long enough to make a copy. Thank God Chris and I are the only ones with keys to his place.”

“You’re starting to freak out, girl. Take deep breaths.”

“I know.” Jen obeyed, breathing deeply, only to have chills go over her neck again. “It really feels like there’s someone watching me, Mags.” Her fingers rubbed over her skin, trying to massage away the creepy feeling. A shadow passed across the backyard and her attention jerked to the patio doors. “Something’s not right.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll head that way right now.” There was a garbled voice behind her. “Brian’s just about to lock up. Can he and Adam stop by, too?”

“Sure. They’d better have apologies ready.”

“Oh, they will.” Maggie pushed through the door of the studio, then came the sound of traffic as she walked to her car. “And they’ll sweep the place from top to bottom if it makes you feel better.”

“Good.” Jen kept staring at the patio, studying every shadow that passed over the yard. “Be careful, but hurry. Please.”

Fifteen minutes later, all three of her friends had arrived and Brian and Adam had been through every room in the house. Finding nothing, they headed out the sliding door to check the backyard. Stopping on the patio, the guys stared down at the cement, brows knitting at the wet footprints that seemed to lead into the house, then back to the grass. Brian cleared his throat, eyes narrowed in concern. “Hey Jen?”

“Yeah?” She left the kitchen and crossed through the living room, wiping her hands on a towel. “What is it?”

“Are your sprinklers on a timer?”

“They should be. The landscapers left a schedule and instructions to reset the system over by the control box, just in case the power went out.” Her eyes widened when she saw the footprints they’d found. “I don’t usually notice when they’re on, so I figured they were mostly running while I’m in class.”

“Okay.” Adam went over to study the sign she’d pointed out. “What time did you get home?”

“Around seven. I left my car parked at the Music building, so I had to walk back across campus after my class was canceled.” She swallowed thickly. “They were still running when I got home tonight, but I don’t know when they would’ve cut off.”

“They should’ve been running from six forty-five to seven fifteen.” Glancing toward Brian, Adam raised his brows. “As warm as it is, for the tracks to still be wet, they would’ve been here when we got here. Or they’d been here a while, thought about leaving, but doubled back so we wouldn’t see them.” He rubbed a hand over the back of his neck. “I don’t think this was Mark. Why would he be in the backyard when he had everything he needed to go in through the front?”

“But what if he let someone in after he disarmed the alarm, then we got here before they could leave?” Brian looked up when Maggie came to stand behind Jen, green eyes growing large at the markings on the cement, drying quickly in the heat. “Why would he do that, though? There’s nothing missing, right?”

“Not that I can tell.” Jen took a shaky breath. “Josh’s door was open, but I don’t know what would’ve been in there that anybody would want. His TV and stereo are where they’ve always been.” Her brow knit as she tried to think. “What else would they have taken?”

“I don’t know, but I don’t like it.” Running a hand through his hair, Brian studied both girls. “We’ve already checked every room and closet on all three levels. There’s nobody here but us. Whoever came in is long gone.”

“I felt like I was being watched.” Jen’s hand gripped Maggie’s tightly. “While I was talking to Maggie after Mark left, I was sure somebody was staring at me.” Her eyes moved quickly over the patio. “And I saw a shadow out here right when my skin started to crawl. Somebody was standing here watching me, but the patio was dark, so I couldn’t see them.” She found the pair of prints to the side of the door, just out of view from the living room, and fear lit her features as she pointed them out and met Adam’s gaze. “I don’t think anybody actually came in the house from here. Mark was only to the corner when I came back in. Would he have had time to run back and go through the yard while I was locking up and calling you guys?”

“There’s no telling, Jenny. I guess it’s possible.” Adam shook his head and looked back to Brian. “What do you want to do?”

“I’m staying here tonight.” Brian moved through the doorway and back into the house, draping an arm around each girl as he led them toward the couch. “Jen’s going to have the locks changed, just like she said. I think when you call to change the alarm code, you should ask if they can upgrade you to a system that includes cameras.”

“A camera system?” Jen glanced at him as he sat down. “How many cameras do I need?”

“At least coverage for the exterior. A few interiors might be nice, too.” He shrugged. “Nothing in the bedrooms, but maybe a few for the main level – the living room and hallways – and one for both garages. Is there an entrance through the basement?”

“Just out of Chris’ place, but that door locks on his side. They’d have to be inside the apartment to get through. Or have a key, if they were going the other way.”

“Then a camera in his garage should be fine. That’s his only way in, right?”

“Yeah, unless he comes through the front with Josh.”

“Okay.” His attention went back to the patio doors. “You should probably have Shan take a look at your patio entrance and see if he can either find you some better doors or a second set that can lock over those. I know it’s wired to the alarm system, but that sliding door really won’t go far in keeping someone out.”

“I’ll call him as soon as I finish with the alarm company.” She smiled as she headed for the kitchen, pulling a packet of papers from the drawer underneath the phone. “I can probably bribe him into checking it out with dinner tomorrow night.”

“What should I tell the others when I get home?” Adam plopped down in the recliner. “They’re gonna wonder where you are.”

“Just tell them that Jen wanted to go over some stuff for her showcase and it looked like we’d be working late, so I decided to crash here.” Brian pulled Maggie into his side. “I keep a bag in my car just in case I get stuck at the studio, so I’ve already got some clothes with me.” His brow creased in consideration. “Don’t clue Nick in on the details. The less he knows, the better.”

“Are you just staying tonight?” Maggie pressed into him, lacing her fingers through his, the trembling of her hand the only sign of her discomfort. “It’ll probably be next week before the locks can be changed, and who knows when they’ll get the new system installed.”

“Baby, I’ll stay as long as you want me to.” He leaned in for a quick kiss, then grinned over at Adam. “Change of story. The lock on the patio door is broken and it’s causing a glitch in the alarm that’s having to be fixed. Until it’s all good, I’m staying put.”

“Good.” She squeezed his hand with a laugh, then turned to watch Jen talking on the phone, nodding at whatever the security agent was telling her and jotting down some notes. “She knew the entire time that something was wrong, and I tried to play it off like she was just freaking out.”

“She knows you didn’t mean it.” Adam sighed, letting the footrest kick out. “I’ve never known anybody who could read people like she does. Those vibes she gets are pretty much always spot on.” He stretched with a groan. “I guess it’s a good thing Mark’s headed back home the week after next, huh?”

“That was the plan, yeah.”

“The plan?” Maggie looked up at Brian’s words. “You planned for him to have to go work in Nashville?”

“I didn’t call any of my other friends, just the folks that would get him out of here.”

“Why?” Her brow furrowed. “I thought he wanted to stay in Orlando?”

“He does. But I’m putting real stock in Jen’s vibes.” He let his fingers run through her hair. “Something’s always seemed off about him. I was happy to find work for him, but I wasn’t about to look for anything close.” Pausing for a second, he took a deep breath. “You know those flowers she’s been getting for the past few years?”

“Yeah.” Green eyes narrowed as she studied his face. “You think it’s him? Mark’s the one who’s been leaving her the roses?”

“I’m not positive, but I think he looks good for it.”

Damn.” She cursed under her breath. “I was really hoping it was Jace, being sweet until he finally locked everything down.” Her red hair bounced as she shook her head. “What makes you think it’s Mark?”

“You should’ve seen him when he first met her. The only way I can think of to describe it is smitten. He was after her for weeks to go out with him, and when she turned him down, it really ate at him. Once the guys went overseas, his attitude changed.” He scratched the back of his head, gathering his thoughts. “Other than the first few, she only gets them when she’s parked on campus. His schedule matches hers pretty well, so he’s there when she is. He didn’t have classes or anything when she was at rehearsals for that first show, so it wouldn’t have been anything for him to find her car at the theatre. And considering what happened today …”

“Okay. Yeah, it could be him.” With a sigh, she rested her head on his shoulder. “I’m glad he’s leaving, then. Those flowers were really starting to give her the creeps.”

“If she doesn’t get any more after he’s gone, then we’ll know for sure.” He squeezed her tightly, his attention going to the TV as Adam turned it on. “Until then, you both need to be careful. A better security system and new locks are great, but even they can’t keep out everything.” Clearing his throat, he straightened up a bit when Jen sat down on the other end of the couch. “Well, what did they say?”

“One of their installation units will be here tomorrow to do an inspection and map out the system. They won’t be able to actually begin installing it until next Tuesday.” Jen leaned forward to look at Maggie. “I’ll be here tomorrow, but I’ve got my first final Tuesday morning, and won’t be finished until after lunch. Can you stick around until I get back?”

“Yeah, my tests are Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, so Amber gave me the week off for the extended class times. I can stay all day if you need me to.”

“Great. Thanks.”

“And what about Shan?” Brian glanced briefly away from the basketball game on the TV. “Did you call him?”

“Yep.” She let out a quiet laugh. “Turns out he’d already ordered doors to replace this one while he was working on the remodel, then decided he’d only use them if I mentioned it. Mac doesn’t like the sliding door, either, and wanted them installed, so they were going to give them to me as a birthday gift this year. He’ll be by tomorrow night to put them in.”

“I’ll help him out, then. More hands might make the work faster.”

“I can swing by, too, if you want. I’ve got a test after lunch, but I could be here by six or so.” Adam spoke up with a smile. “We’ll get it finished in no time.”

“Sounds good to me.” Jen shrugged. “While you guys are working, I’ll fix something for dinner.” Her brow furrowed. “Spaghetti with meatballs? And some garlic French bread?” A quick nod followed. “I’ll call and invite Mom and Mac, too. They should probably know what’s going on.”

“Yeah. And are you going to tell Jace?” Maggie arched a brow at her. “Have you talked to him today?”

“Not since the airport this morning.” Looking down at her watch, Jen shook her head. “If they aren’t working on choreography, they’re probably settling in at the hotel. It’ll be later before I talk to him.” With a sigh, she sat back. “I’ll tell him, but it won’t be tonight. When I have the new codes and keys, I’ll give him a heads up.” Biting her lip, she let out a laugh. “Hell, I’ll probably wait until the week after next to spill it. My last test isn’t until that Thursday, so maybe he won’t get too mad at me if he thinks it’ll distract me.”

“Why not tonight?” Adam’s brow furrowed as he leaned around the chair to look at her. “What difference does it make?”

“Because if I tell him now, he’ll want to come home after their show instead of staying with his family.” Biting her lip, she thought it over. “He hasn’t seen them in months, and if he misses out on it now, he won’t get another chance to visit until sometime in the fall.” Picking up a pillow, she hugged it to her chest. “I can’t put that on him. Besides, Brian will be here, so everything will be okay.”

“He’s not gonna like that.” Maggie’s voice was sing-song as she tried not to laugh. “You’re gonna be in trouble.”

“He’ll have to get over it.” Jen sing-songed back, before tossing the pillow at her. “I’m a big girl, and he can’t be here for everything. He’ll just have to try to understand.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

And it's finally up.  Seems like everything takes longer to finish this time of year, doesn't it?  *laughs*  Has anybody else noticed the hit counter seems a bit off?  I'm having a hard time believing this little ditty got over 300 hits in two weeks - that's all kinds of extreme.  Anywho, wishes for a very Merry Christmas to all!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers mmcera debutsync presync jc justin joey chris college lance eurosync