“I hope you don’t mind that I asked Brian to be here. I’ve read this contract over until I feel like I can recite it. I understand what it says, and I can’t find anything that causes me concern, but I still feel a bit like a fish out of water.” Jen glanced around at the people in the room. “This is moving a little too fast for me to totally understand exactly what’s supposed to be happening right now.”

“What’s happening right now, my dear, is we’re finding out we may have a treasure that we don’t want to lose.” The tall, thin gentleman who had entered the room moments ago leaned forward in his seat. “I’ve listened to each of your demos and not only is it astounding that you’ve completed such a volume of songs at your age, but the number of potential hits you’ve already accumulated is beyond belief.”

“Mr. MacArthur …”

“Please, call me Mac.” His smile was warm and inviting. “Not only am I experienced in the legal side of this business, Jen, but I have a keen ear for what studios and artists are looking for. You already have a gold mine of a portfolio that I can’t wait to shop around. Plus, I’m eagerly anticipating what other material you have to add to it.” He reached down and opened the briefcase that lay beside his chair. “You’ve already got a collection of forty-five lyrical demos with arrangements and fifteen compositions. How many more would you estimate adding this year?”

“This year?” Her brows arched in surprise. “Sir, I’ve been collecting and fine-tuning lyrics and arrangements since I was thirteen. This isn’t even a fraction of what I have ready to demo. And new material is always coming.” Nervous fingers danced over the journal in her lap. “As long as you see me with one of these, I’m either playing with new ideas or finishing out old ones.” She glanced over to Alex. “I’ve already been working on the extended orchestral piece that will be required for Spring Junior Composition and I’m hoping to use it for my Conducting credit as well. If I submit it to you, will I still be able to present it for my classes?”

“Absolutely.” Alex nodded strongly. “Any work that you complete in a university capacity will be eligible for your portfolio to be considered at completion of your program. As long as Brian or one of his trainees acts as your engineer, then you’re clear.”

“And those pieces can be included in this as well?”

“Of course. One portfolio, two purposes.”

“You have to understand, I have no expectations at this point.” Jen bit her lip as she considered her words. “But if I have pieces that are successful, then how am I able to still submit them toward my degree?”

“Because you completed the demos within the parameters required by the university, they must be considered as part of your body of student work.” Mac steepled his fingers and leaned back in his chair. “With Alex as your advisor, you should have no problems whatsoever, but if the university gives you an issue, then that’s where I step in. The legal workings are my expertise. The relationships I have in the network of record labels and the professional connections I possess are simply a bonus that will be used to your advantage.” He sent her a smile. “In fact, I was so confident in the first batch of recordings Alex sent me that I went ahead and put out a few feelers, just to see what the reaction would be. There are three artists ready to sign for recording rights – one in particular needing to move immediately so they can include it on their next project – and at least five more with a serious interest in your work. We just need to get the contracts finalized so I can make good on my word.”

“Three? Already?” Brown eyes widened, darting over to Brian, who was biting his lips to hide his grin. “You don’t seem surprised.”

“Why should I be?” He leaned forward, his hand resting on her shoulder. “I knew you were special with the first verse you recorded. I’ll bet I can even guess which songs they want.”

“You know what? I’m not sure I want to know.” Jen turned her attention back to Mac. “That’s the catch for me. At this point, I want to focus on school. It’s great that this side of it seems to be working out, but if the only involvement I want for now is to simply build my portfolio and be kept up to speed on anything major that happens, are you willing to do all the other work?”

“I already am. In fact, that could be the permanent nature of our relationship, if you prefer.”

“And what’s in it for you? I understand that you’ll receive twenty-five percent of any earnings my portfolio generates, but isn’t that standard?”

“Actually, no.” Mac nodded in her direction. “In the case of most students, I would only withhold ten percent of earnings, with the potential of raising that percentage if a long-term contract was signed upon graduation. Your case is unique, as I anticipated you may wish to be kept apart from the business side of it all. The higher rate is to accommodate for the extra leg work you’ll require. Upon your graduation, you’ll have the option to continue our arrangement with an extended contract, or you may elect to seek representation elsewhere.”

“Okay.” She nodded. “That’s fair.”

“There may be instances, of course, where the artist or producer requests your presence – if they’re interested in not only the lyrics but the arrangement, they may want you there for the recording process to provide input. Should that occur, you’ll need to make an appearance, which could mean travel.” Clearing his throat, he continued. “And there’s not just potential for contracted artist interest. Film studios will also occasionally send out requests for demos, looking for music to fit their soundtracks. There may be times where I email you a synopsis of a movie in production, just to see if you can come up with something to submit for consideration. You won’t be required to respond to those, but I do encourage you to give it serious thought. Film work can be quite profitable.”

“You’ve thought of everything haven’t you?” A grin spread quickly, followed by a quiet laugh.

“That’s my job, Jen. Anticipate even what seems impossible.”

“I like that. And I think I like you, Mac.” She took a deep, cleansing breath as her anxiety melted away. “Where do I need to sign?”

----------------------------------------

September 1, 1995

“Okay, does that get it?”

“Yep, that’s the last one.” Brian took the disc from the burner and wrote the title in black Sharpie. “I really liked that, too, even if it’ll probably end up in a chick flick someday.” He laughed. “So, who’s the lucky guy that’s striking up the band and making the fireflies dance?”

“Right now? Nobody.” She grinned and took off the headphones, walking over to push through the door. “When I was in high school, though … have you ever gone on one of those dates that made you all dreamy and left you hoping for more?”

“Not lately, but yeah, I can remember that.”

“Well, I had one that was almost that kind of special. It kind of stuck with me, even if it didn’t go anywhere.” Sighing, she picked up her bag, reaching out to begin fitting in all the discs and arrangements she’d be delivering to Alex’s office. “Speaking of going, I think I’m gonna drop these off and start my weekend early. I’ve got my hours in at the center for this week, all my class work is already done and the only thing I’ve got going on between now and Tuesday is that ‘know your neighbors’ thing my neighborhood is sponsoring Saturday night.”

“Ah, yeah. All the university areas have something like that going on for the Labor Day weekend.” He reached around to cut the power to the board and equipment. “It’s really just an excuse for most of the guys to get together and drink.”

“That’s what I figured.” She shook her head. “I’ve invited some friends over and my housemate is bringing some of her drama friends. I can’t decide if I want to fire up the grill for burgers or just have some pizzas delivered.” Thinking over the mess likely to follow, she laughed. “Pizzas, definitely.” Her gaze jumped over to him as she zipped up her bag and slid it over her shoulder. “You should join us.”

“I’ve got a few housemates myself. Probably shouldn’t just leave them hanging.”

“Bring them with you. No alcohol, since the majority of us are underage and I’m not really that kind of partier, but the guys will probably be playing most of the time, anyway. You’d fit right in.”

“Playing?”

“Yep. Basketball, air hockey, pool, darts. I’ve even got a few game systems and a big screen TV.” And Maggie’s gonna love meeting you. Her teeth bit the inside of her lip, hiding her smile. “And plenty of food. A college guy’s paradise.”

“You’re sure you wouldn’t mind a few extra?” He arched a brow as he locked the door behind them. “Mark’s out of town for the long weekend, but Adam – you know, from downstairs – and Nick tend to be slightly excitable.”

“You haven’t met my bunch yet.” Another laugh escaped as they headed for the elevator. “Like I said, you’ll fit right in. The more, the merrier.”

“Well, thanks. Which neighborhood are you in?” She rattled off her address and he turned to look at her. “Really? That’s not even two blocks from my place. You’ve got the house that always has a bunch of cars in front and a court in the back, right?”

“That’s me. The rotating door for future pop stars and drama queens.” They stepped in when the elevator doors opened with a ding. “Home sweet home. It’s definitely never boring.” Glancing his way, she pressed the button for the main floor. “We’re getting started around seven, food delivered a little after.”

“I’ll be there for sure. You might want to plan on the others, but I’m not going to swear to them.”

“Perfect.” She sent a wave to Adam as they passed through the lobby and out into the bright sunshine. “See you then.”

*********************

Jen was taking a pan of hot bean dip out of the oven when the doorbell rang. “Can somebody get that?” As she put the pan on the table, she took a quick glance around to make sure someone was headed for the door, then turned back to the kitchen to collect the platter of boneless chicken wings she’d prepared that afternoon. “Thanks, Spazz. If it’s the pizza, I’ll be there in a minute.”

“Okay.” He jogged down the front hallway when the bell pealed again and pulled open the door to find three college-aged guys on the front porch. “Hey, can I help you?”

“Yeah, hi.” The tallest one sent him a grin. “I’m hoping I’ve got the right place. Jen invited us.”

“Oh, right. She said we may have a few more.” He stepped aside, motioning them by. “Come on in. We’ve already got a crowd, but there’s plenty of room.” As they made their way toward the main rooms, he called out. “Hey, Jenny! We’ve got a few more!”

“Be right there!”

“I’m Chris.” Noticing JC leaning against the wall, looking toward the staircase and shaking his head, Chris nodded his direction. “And this is JC.”

“Brian.” He gestured over his shoulder. “Adam and Nick. I guess you could say we’re classmates of Jen’s.”

“Ahh … Smoothie shop guy turned recording guy. We’ve heard a lot about you.” JC smiled and shook his hand. “Nice to meet you. The demos are sounding great.” He jerked a thumb toward the teenager studying the banister at the top of the stairs. “That’s Justin. For the next few minutes, anyway. If she lets him live.”

“Whoa. Wicked Strat, guys.” Nick had moved into Jen’s practice area, his fingers touching the polished instrument reverently. “Which one of you plays?”

“That would be Jen.” Blue eyes widened as JC watched Justin throw a leg over the banister, preparing to slide down. “The kid’s about to die.”

“She’s got an electric?” One brow arched skeptically as Nick shook his head. “So, it’s just for decoration, then. Right?”

Chris coughed back a laugh. “Man, don’t let her hear you say that.”

“Justin Timberlake, if you fall off that banister and break my piano, there won’t be enough of you left for your mother to identify. Get. Down. Now.” She stepped around the corner, glaring at Justin as he grinned sheepishly and came back down the staircase on foot. Once he was out of sight, she sighed and turned to the group who had just arrived with a smile. “Sorry. Welcome to the jungle. Hi, Brian, Adam.” Her gaze skipped over to where her guitars were being admired. “And we haven’t met. Nick, right?”

“Yeah. Nice to meet you, Jen.” He smiled, gesturing toward her instruments. “Cool set up.”

“Thanks.” She sent a glance in Chris’ direction. “Don’t let me hear who say what?”

“Well, Nick was just wondering about your Strat.” Adam spoke up, ignoring the warning look Brian was giving him and sending an evil grin toward his other housemate. “He seems to think it’s an excellent decoration choice.”

“Decoration, huh?” Her tone was neutral as she moved over next to JC, meeting his amused expression with a ghost of a smile. “She is pretty, isn’t she?”

“Definitely.”

“Hey, what’s going on?” Joey walked up to stand beside Chris, watching as Jen chatted casually with Nick, moving around him so that he had to step back between JC and Brian in order to see her.

“Challenge accepted.” Chris laughed under his breath. “Our little Jenny is about to show out to the new guy.”

Lifting the Strat from its stand, her lips curved slightly as she made sure the strap was adjusted correctly before sliding it over her neck and leaning down to plug in to the amplifier at her feet, keeping the volume on the lower side of blaring. “You know, Nick, there’s a reason most guitars are referred to in a feminine tense.” She slid her finger guards in place and selected a pick from the collection laying on the piano, strumming a quick warm up chord. “They react just like women. If you treat her well, you might get to first base … maybe Smoke on the Water.” A few bars of the riff flowed from the amp as her hands cradled the instrument. “Or Money for Nothing might be more your speed.”

As the melody changed, Maggie came over to join the crowd, grinning when she saw her friend giving a determined but friendly smile to a group of guys as she worked skillfully over the strings. “Awesome. You school ’em, Jen.”

“That’s nice and all, but most guys like to make it to second base, at least. Put in a little extra effort and you might get Walk This Way.” She switched songs effortlessly, not even glancing down to adjust as she nodded her head, her body grooving to the rhythm. “Third base? Sweet Child O’ Mine.”

“Would you look at that?” Chris nudged Maggie with his elbow, pointing out the slightly dazed expression on Nick’s face as he watched her tackle the difficult riff. “Dude just fell in love.”

“Whatever good that’ll do him.” The redhead nodded toward a grinning JC, who was obviously enjoying the little demonstration. “Poor guy doesn’t stand a chance.”

“Home base … now that takes work. Personally, I kind of missed the draw to the whole hairband, glam rock thing. But there were still a few gems.” Her fingers changed position, picking out the familiar lead in. “It may not be the most impressive of riffs, but the Top Gun Anthem is everything a girl wants – steady, warm, slow and building to the excitement toward the end.” She let the guitar scream through the promised crescendo, then let the piece end and moved to lift the strap back over her neck.

As she turned off the amp, the doorbell rang again and she straightened with a smile, reaching into her pocket for the cash for the pizza delivery and patting Nick’s shoulder as she walked by. “But if you really want to just let her sit there and be decoration, then all the power to you.” Turning quickly, she motioned toward Maggie. “Maggie, this is Brian. Brian, Maggie.” With a quick wink in her direction, Jen gestured toward the crowd in the living room. “Why don’t you introduce him, Adam and Nick around? Maybe get a drink. Pizza in a few minutes.” Her gaze landed on JC. “Care to give me a hand? I’m sure I ordered too much.”

“Uh huh.” He laughed as he followed her down the hallway. “That wasn’t obvious at all.”

“What?” Her expression was innocent as she opened the door and nodded at the delivery girl. “Thanks. Keep the change.”

Taking four of the boxes, he turned to hold the door for her to go ahead of him. “Maggie and Brian.”

“Oh, just you wait.” She grinned over her shoulder, a twinkle lighting her eyes. “They’re perfect for each other. Give them some time and I’ll be two for two.”

“Really? Matt finally called Amber?”

“More than once, apparently. Judging by the dreamy look she’s had this week and the hug she gave me as I was leaving Thursday, I’d say she’s kind of excited about their date tonight.” Setting a stack of boxes on the table next to the dishes she’d just put out, she turned in the direction of Maggie’s laughter, smiling when she saw her sitting on one of the couches with Brian. “I don’t think it’ll take so long with these two.”

“I always knew you were a real softie, but you’re leveling up, aren’t you?” He shook his head with a grin, putting an arm around her shoulders and pulling her close to his side.

“I just want everybody to be happy.” Looking up, her eyes met his as she let herself lean into him. “Is there something wrong with that?”

“Not at all, Boof.” He dropped a kiss on the top of her head, then turned his attention to the couple on the couch, his brow creasing slightly as he cleared his throat and tightened his arm around her. “But what about you? Don’t you want somebody, too?”

“Well, yeah. Of course I do.” She could feel her heart sink a little bit as her gaze moved over his profile. “I figure I’ll know it when I find him.” And if I can’t have him, then I’ll just have to take what I can get.


----------------------------------------

October 3, 1995

The bell above the door jingled as JC pushed it open, his eyes immediately sweeping over the crowded restaurant. College students filled the booths and larger tables, textbooks and laptop computers scattered across most of the tabletops. The aroma of burgers, fries and caffeine-laden drinks filled the air, encouraging his stomach to growl with hunger.

It took a minute, but his gaze finally found familiar brown hair, falling forward to hide her face as she leaned over the notebook spread open next to a stack of books on the vinyl table, her hand moving quickly, her pencil making short strokes as she marked against the paper. A waitress stopped by the booth and he could feel a little skip in his chest when Jen grinned brightly up at her. Two drinks were set on the table, the girls making small talk and laughing as the waitress made a few notes on her order pad, then headed back toward the kitchen, Jen turning her attention back to her work.

He shook his head with a smile, then pushed through the maze of bodies and chairs to drop down into the seat across from her. “Hey, Boof.”

“Hey.” Without even glancing up, she passed a drink over to him. “How did rehearsals go? You guys got an early start this morning.”

“We’ve got three new numbers we’re working on. Between yesterday and this morning, I can barely move.” There was a pause as he took a sip of soda. “But I think we’re finally getting it down. Even Lance.”

“Good for him.” She smiled, tearing her attention from the page to finally focus on him. “He just needs to loosen up a little bit. Poor kid’s wound so tight all the time ...” The sentence died away, brown eyes darkening thoughtfully for just a second before a quiet laugh escaped. “So, things are good?”

“Better than good. Lou got us a booking at Pleasure Island toward the end of this month.”

“Really?” Her face brightened as she let the pencil fall to the table. “Your first real gig?”

“Something like that, yeah. We’ve got a showcase spot on the 22nd, so he’s really pushing us to have a solid set performance ready. And he mentioned bringing out a few potential managers to shop us to.”

“That’s awesome!” The exclamation brought a few stares their way, but she didn’t care. “Am I invited?”

“You’d better be there. Who else can keep us all in check?” He laughed, his stomach rumbling again. “I’m starving.”

“I’ve already ordered.” She checked her watch, then looked back to the book she’d been writing in. “They should have it out pretty soon. Cheeseburger and fries okay?”

“Sounds great.” His eyes began skimming around her hand, his brows lifting as he studied the chords scribbled across the staff paper. “What’s this?”

“Maggie’s in a quartet this term and she asked if I had anything they could use as a warm-up piece.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.” Her fingers combed through her hair. “I already had a few things that would work, so Brian suggested I work out the harmonies for female voices.”

“That’s cool.” Tilting his head, he looked more closely at her work. “How’s it coming?”

“I’m to the point where I’ll have to put it on hold until I can get to my piano.” White teeth worked over her lower lip. “It’ll go a lot faster when I can play it out so I can hear the parts and get them just how I want them.”

His eyebrow arched as he leaned back in his seat. “Yeah, and it probably doesn’t help that you’re a perfectionist, either.” A sheepish shrug lifted her shoulders, a smile pulling at her lips, and he laughed, stretching his arms above his head. “Maybe you could let us use something of yours. Scales and chord harmonies get boring after a while.”

“Sure. It’s not original, but I was playing with a cool acapella arrangement of Sailing the other day. I could add a few parts … you guys would sound awesome on it.” She started packing her books into her bag, clearing off a large portion of the table. “Or I just finished up the lead on Here and Now. Wouldn’t take much to add harmonies to it.”

“We’re game for anything you have for us, Boof.” He gestured toward her overstuffed bag. “What’s with all the books? Are you carrying extra?”

“Yeah.” Nodding, she picked up the pencil and began tapping the eraser against her notebook. “I’ve decided to try testing out of my General Ed courses.”

“Really? Why?”

“I thought more of what I took back home would transfer, but the course requirements didn’t match, so I can’t count those for credit.” A sigh escaped. “With the exception of my Spanish credits and introductory music classes, I’m really starting over as a Freshman. I lucked out this past summer by getting to take the three classes they offered, because core credit courses aren’t normally offered during the summer term. They don’t always offer elective courses that will count for me, either, but if I’m able to enroll in two or three classes every summer, I’d finally graduate with the spring class of 2000.” She shook her head, dropping the pencil. “I don’t want to wait that long and I’d really like to have my summers mostly free. If I can test out, it’ll really lighten up my course load per semester. Even with the extra lab time required for my degree, I’d be able to arrange my schedule so I have more free time during the week.” Her gaze met his. “I’ve talked it over with Professor Summers, and she thinks that if I test out and take a self-study elective each summer, I’ll only have to enroll in one extra term to catch the last two required courses and complete my Senior project. I’ll finish up with Maggie in winter of 1998.”

“You’d earn your degree in three years?” He studied her carefully. “That sounds intense, Jenny. Are you sure you’re up for that? When would you be testing?”

“The fall test is in six weeks and I can still sign up for it. It’s not a lot of time to prepare, but it’ll be next April before they test again. Considering how much easier it would make things, I think it’s worth it to see if I can pass this time around.”

“Just as long as you don’t overdo it. Remember what you promised me?”

“I remember. I’ll be fine, I promise. I stopped by the Student Center and picked up the outline of the tested subjects and they all look like basic topics. I’m really only worried about the science part.” She grimaced. “You know I’ve always hated anything even remotely related to science. If I fail one section, I fail it all, and I’d hate for that one thing to keep me behind.”

“Ask around. Maggie, Brian or one of the others might can help you out.” He shook his head with a laugh. “Or maybe you should just write little songs about everything you aren’t sure of. You remember more lyrics than anybody I’ve ever met. It’s insane.” His attention jumped to a waiter slowly loading plates onto a tray and turning their direction. “I think our food is coming.”

“Good.” She flipped the notebook closed and shoved it and the pencil into her bag, taking a look toward the kitchen. “Oh, God.”

“What?”

Twisting around quickly, she paused for only a brief second before reaching across the table and grabbing his hand, lacing her fingers through his. “Play along, okay?”

Distracted by the feel of her hand in his, his gaze fixed to where she touched him. The realization of how perfectly their fingers fit together registered briefly before he tore his focus back to her and widened his eyes. “Uh …”

“Just pretend for five minutes that you can’t live without me.” Brown eyes begged him as the waiter quickly approached. “Please?”

No problem. He shook his head slightly, brows arching questioningly. “Okay, but what …” His voice trailed off as she pasted a bright smile on her face and turned toward the guy who’d just stopped by their table, trying desperately to balance the tray of food as he attempted to fix the little white hat that refused to stay put on his curly black hair.

“Hi, Jen.” The tray teetered precariously in his hand before he finally propped it against the tabletop, leaving the hat askew so he could distribute the plates.

“Hi, Mark.” She eyed him warily as he leaned over her. “How are you?”

“I’ve had better days.” His stare was fixed to their linked hands as the ceramic dishes clattered down, then green eyes turned to clash with blue. “This must be JC.”

“Yes. Josh, this is Mark Stillman.” Her head tilted as she made the introduction, not worrying that neither was paying her any attention. “Mark is Brian’s last housemate. We’re in the same guitar ensemble and Music History class this term.”

“I see.” When he felt her fingers squeeze his, he reached out with his free hand. “Nice to meet you, man.”

“I’ve heard a lot about you. I was sorry that I missed the party Labor Day weekend. The guys all seemed to have a blast.” The waiter had a firm grasp, exchanging a quick shake before shifting his gaze to Jen. “Your girlfriend here can do some wicked things with the strings. She’s taught me quite a bit.”

Girlfriend? Astonished, JC switched his attention to her, amusement settling in when he saw her posture stiffening, the faint blush creeping onto her cheeks betraying her discomfort. His teeth clamped down on the inside of his cheek, forcing himself not to break into a grin as his eyes widened inquisitively. “Really?”

“No, not really.” She shook her head in denial, expertly masking the pleading look that crossed over her features. “I’ve just shown him a few easy tricks. Nothing major.”

“Stop being modest.” Mark laughed, resting a hand on her shoulder, never looking away from her as he spoke in a strong Southern drawl toward JC. “The only playing I’ve ever done is country-western and she had me strumming out Spanish style in less than a month.”

A dark eyebrow arched slightly in consideration of the ‘please-pay-attention-to-me’ expression etched across Mark’s face as he stared at Jen, eyes darkened with what could only be longing. His heart twisted painfully, and JC forced his gaze back on her, relief rushing through him when he saw her discomfort with the attention from her classmate. Letting out a silent sigh, he squeezed her fingers with a soft smile. “You don’t have to sing her praises to me.” Without missing a beat, he lifted their hands, pressing his lips across her knuckles. “I know exactly how amazing she is.”

For a moment, she simply stared at him, an odd mixture of emotions playing in her eyes until the grip on her shoulder tightened in a quick squeeze.

“Well, I should probably get back to the kitchen. Lindsay was covered up for a little bit, but she’ll be by in a while to see if you guys need anything.” The hat was straightened one last time as he finally released her and tucked the tray under his arm. “I’ll see you in class tonight?”

“Yep. See you later.” Forcing another smile, she popped a fry into her mouth, chewing quickly to distract herself from both pairs of male eyes.

“Great.” His gaze leveled on JC once again before he turned away. “Hold tight to this one, man. She’s a keeper.”

As his footsteps faded away behind her, she groaned softly, covering her face with her free hand. “Is he gone?”

“He’s gone.”

“My God.” Her fingers released his, coming up to better hide the scarlet coloring flaring up from her neck. “That was …”

“So, how long have we been dating?” Laughter laced his voice as he picked up a fry of his own. “And is there anything else I should know about us?”

“A little over a year.” The tips of her ears turned an amazingly fiery color and she shook her head, still refusing to look at him. “I didn’t know he was working here, or I wouldn’t have … I’m sorry, Josh.”

“Hey, no problem. Any particular reason why you’re using me?”

Her hands came away from her face, fingers fidgeting as she took a quick look back toward the kitchen. “He wouldn’t stop badgering me to go out with him.”

“Well, what’s wrong with that?” He glanced down, picking up his burger before focusing back on her, forcing a neutral tone. “He seems like a nice guy. He’s in some of your classes and he obviously likes you.”

“Yeah, he does. To the point of irritation.” With a deep sigh, she shook her head as she played with the saltshaker. “He’s okay in small doses, but there’s something about him that hits me the wrong way. He’s not …” You. She barely kept the word from escaping. “I’m just not feeling it.” Her shoulders shrugged. “But Brian’s already warned me that if I do any work with him over the summer, Mark is one of his studio guys. I’m not going to be able to avoid him, so I really didn’t want to insult him … and I was too nice to tell him that I don’t want to be more than friends.”

“So you lied to him instead?”

“Yeah. Adam and Nick already thought we were together, so I didn’t correct them, but Brian knows the truth. He’s been sworn to secrecy.” Tearing her eyes away from the thick glass between her fingers, she watched him chew slowly. “I was going to keep it up until he found somebody else, then we were going to break up.”

“Is that so?” His eyebrow arched again, teasingly this time. “And whose fault would that have been?”

“Like I’d ever have it in me to walk away from you.” Her tone lifted, hiding laughter. “A tall, blonde and gorgeous Lit major from FSU was going to steal you away, leaving me devastated but strong enough to move on with life.”

He was quiet, his gaze trailing over her slowly as she began to eat, her features bright with humor. “You know me better than that, Boof. Blondes don’t do it for me. Brunettes …” He reached across the table until he could twirl a lock of her dark hair around his fingers. “Brunettes hit me where it hurts. And do you really think you’re the only one who wouldn’t be able to walk away?”

The breath caught in her chest and she had to swallow hard to get the bite to go down as her eyes met his. For a moment, he only smiled softly and played with her hair, then a playful wink was sent her way and he turned back to his food.

You can’t have him, Jen. Closing her eyes, she inhaled deeply and gave a slight shake of her head. Lord, help me.

----------------------------------------

October 22, 1995

“Fifteen minutes!”

She joined them as they gathered at the side of the stage, checking equipment and bouncing in anticipation. “Okay, guys, I’m heading out front and getting out of the way. You’re gonna be fantastic.”

“That’s it?” Joey sent a surprised glance her direction. “I’m disappointed, Hot Stuff.”

“Disappointed?” Her brow creased in confusion. “In what?”

“You.” He grinned, gesturing her direction. “I expected more than just a ‘you’ll be great, see ya’. What kind of good luck charm are you, anyway?”

“Oh.” She rolled her eyes. “What more can I do, Joe Bear? Double-knot your shoelaces?”

“How about hugs?” Chris took his place at the foot of the stairs, smiling as he spread his arms open. “Yours always seem to have just a little bit of magic in them.”

“Magic. Right.” Laughing, she moved into his embrace, reaching her arms up and around his neck. “You don’t need magic, Spazz. They’re gonna love you no matter what.”

“Having you in our corner is a definite plus.” He kissed her cheek before pulling away. “You’re the perfect cheerleader.”

“Sure.” She stepped over to Joey, who was wiggling his eyebrows suggestively. “What now?”

“Cheerleader, huh?” He leaned down and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her off her feet and against his chest. “Does that mean we get the skirt, pom-poms and everything?”

“Oh, shut up.” With a groan, she punched him playfully on the shoulder, then hugged him in return. “You have no idea what it would take to get me in a cheerleader skirt, Joe … and you never will.”

“But I can fantasize, can’t I?” Laughing, he set her back to her feet, his eyes crinkling with his smile. “A guy has to dream, Jenny.”

“You just keep right on doing that.” Shaking her head, she turned to look up at Justin. “All right, kiddo … your turn.” Holding her arms out to her sides, she closed her eyes and prepared to leave the ground again. “Hit me with it.”

“Wow.” He chuckled and surprised her by coming down to her level, bending at the waist until she could reach his neck. “You have no faith in me, Shorty.”

“It’s not that. I’ve just never been very good at flying.” Her fingers ruffled his hair before she hugged him tightly. “And you’re already trying to give the Jolly Green Giant a real run for his money. At least, in comparison to me.”

“You’re not really all that short.” His eyes widened when he straightened up, paying attention to how far off the ground she came. “Wow. Okay … how tall are you?”

“Four foot eleven. Haven’t grown an inch since the eighth grade. I prayed every night for a growth spurt during high school, but I guess I took after my dad’s side. None of them appear to be very tall in the photos I’ve seen.”

“Well, you have more than enough spunk to make up for it.” A grin lit his features. “Our very own Mighty Mouse.”

“Ha ha. Very funny.” She laughed, turning her head to speak softly. “Knock ’em dead, J.”

“You bet, Jenny.” He winked, then leaned down and released her, moving closer to where Chris and Joey were waiting to run up the stairs and allowing her to focus on a very shaky Lance.

“You’re nervous, but it’s going to be fine, I promise.” She gave him an encouraging smile before he could pull her to him almost desperately. “Just remember what Jake and Sam were teaching you.”

“But what if …” His deep voice was muffled by her hair.

“Hey, push comes to shove, just follow along and keep singing.” Her hand made comforting circles on his back. “Nobody out there knows what your routines are supposed to be, anyway.” Pulling back a little, she let her eyes meet his. “Have fun today, Lance. You’ve worked so hard these past few months for this. Don’t let fear keep you from giving your best performance. You’re so good at what you do. Now go show out to everybody. Okay?”

“Yeah.” He nodded and took a deep breath, determination erasing the terror he’d been trembling with as he moved away. “Thanks, Girlie.” A smile broke across his face before he laughed softly. “Your hugs really do have a little magic in them, don’t they?”

“For you? Absolutely.” She laughed, turning to face a grinning JC. “What?”

“You.” He kissed her forehead, then wrapped her up in his arms. “You’re incredible, you know.”

“I’m incredibly something, that’s for sure.” As her feet left the ground again, she took a steadying breath and hugged him tightly around the neck, hiding her face in his shoulder. “I’m so proud of you, Josh.”

“We haven’t done anything yet.” A chuckle escaped and he began swaying from side to side. “Tell me again when it’s over.”

“Five minutes!”

“Okay, I really should go find Lynn. She’s saving me a spot so I can get a good video.” She grinned as he lowered her to her feet. “I promised your mom I wouldn’t miss anything.” Going on her toes, she pressed her lips to his cheek. “Have fun. I’ll meet you back here after.”

“See you later.” Another quick squeeze and he let her go, watching as she grabbed her camcorder bag and jogged toward the front of the stage. Exhaling raggedly, he turned toward the others, picking up a microphone and hopping in place a little bit, ignoring the knowing looks Chris and Justin were sending his way.

It took her a moment to locate Lynn, and she had to work her way through the crowd to get to her. “Wow.” Eyes widening at the number of people gathered in front of the stage, she draped the bag’s strap over her shoulder and glanced at Justin’s mom. “Do they always have a crowd like this?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never been to one of these.” Lynn laughed, reaching out to take the bag from her. “Here, let me hold that. How are they?”

“Good.” Jen unzipped the bag and took out the small camcorder, tightening the strap to secure it to her hand. “Lance needed a pep talk, but I think they’re ready.” She centered the stage on her viewing screen and pressed Record just as the emcee began introducing the group. “I guess we’re about to find out.”

They hit the opening harmony perfectly, and she couldn’t help but cheer when the crowd began grooving with them fairly early into the first number. By the second verse, they’d visibly relaxed, smiling at each other as they moved across the stage, beginning to enjoy themselves. The crowd cheered encouragingly as the song came to an end, waiting with anticipation for the second number to begin.

“They’re really good, aren’t they?”

“Oh, they’re better than good.” Jen turned toward the voice beside her, meeting the smile of a taller black man in a baseball cap. “Just wait until you hear them when they focus on harmony. They all love to entertain, but I’m hoping they put at least one slower number in their set. That’s where their heart is.”

“Really?” His focus came to her, interest lighting his features. “Are you with the group?”

“You could say that. I was appointed group cheerleader about twenty minutes ago.” She laughed. “I didn’t think it’d be polite to turn them down.”

“Of course not.” He turned back to watch the show, nodding as the song ended and the group came together in the middle of the stage. “This would be the perfect spot for a breather …”

She zoomed the camera in so she could frame all of them in the shot, her gaze jumping over to Lynn when they began the familiar acapella tune. “Really? Did you know they were going to do Sailing?”

“Justin told me to keep it a surprise.” The older woman smiled warmly at her. “They love the arrangement you worked up for them, and I have to say that it’s my favorite, too.”

“Wow. It sounds even better than it did when they were learning it.” She noticed the entire group looking directly at her and grinned widely, giving them a wave and a thumbs up. “They’re the sweetest …”

“Did I just hear that you arranged this for them?” The man was still beside her, his attention on her once again. “How did that come about?”

“I’m studying Music Comp at UCF and was working out some warm-up pieces for an ensemble on campus.” She gestured toward the stage. “JC – the one in the middle – and I have been best friends since we were kids, so he asked if I had anything they could use. I guess you could say you’re watching the end result.”

“Impressive.” A thoughtful expression on his face, he nodded and glanced back toward the stage. “The voices and the arrangement. You were right. This is where their heart is.” He held out a hand in her direction. “Johnny Wright.”

“Jen Lawson.” Carefully, she reached her free hand over to grasp his, trying her best to keep the camera from bouncing. “Nice to meet you. Do you come to these showcases often?”

“Only when I’m invited.” Johnny grinned as the song ended, generating screams from the girls who’d moved forward, trying to get closer to the stage. “I’ll be honest … I almost backed out of this one. Something tells me I’m going to be very glad I didn’t.” He watched her adjust the settings on her camcorder as the next up-tempo number began. “Doubly glad. Enjoy the rest of the show.”

“Thanks. You too.” She sent him a smile before he walked away, heading for the area over by the side of the stage opposite from where the guys had been getting ready. “Well, he was nice.” Glancing over to Lynn, her brow furrowed slightly. “Did you know him?”

“Nope.” Lynn shook her head. “I thought maybe you knew him from school.”

“No, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him on campus.” Jen shrugged, puzzled, then turned back to focus on the last three songs of the set. “They’re going to be so excited after this. I don’t think it could’ve gone better.”

The guys landed in their last positions, then jumped up and began slapping hands with some of the people closest to the stage, calling out thanks and appreciation as they headed back toward the stairs they’d run up thirty minutes before.

“Here.” Lynn handed her the bag and began to steer her out of the way. “We should probably head their way before we get trampled.”

It took a little while, but they finally pushed through the crowd and to the side of the stage where the group was waiting. Jen couldn’t help but smile when she saw them posing for photos, various family members and one of the park employees trying to get a good shot before they scattered.

“Hey, Shorty! Get over here!” She was just setting down her bag when Justin called over the noise. “Group picture!”

Her arms crossed over her chest as she turned to look at the grinning bunch. “It looks to me like the group is already there. Why do you need me?”

“Come on, Jen. Don’t make us send Jace after you.” Joey’s eyes lit with amusement. “You know you can’t tell him no.”

“It’ll look awesome on your wall of fame.” JC smiled, already moving to her and taking her hand, pulling her with him. “It’s just one photo, Boof. Please?”

“I’m so much shorter than you guys …” The protest died when she saw the others moving to sit on the stairs, making a spot for her in the middle. “And you’ve already thought of that.” She sighed, looking up at him. “I don’t get to say no, do I?”

“Nope.” He laughed, lifting her up the impossibly steep staircase so she could take a seat between Chris and Lance before sitting down in front of her. “Just think, you can leave it hanging as proof that you were here when it all started.”

“All right, guys. It looks great, but you need to squeeze in so you all fit.” Lance’s mother, Diane, smiled from behind her camera as they all started shifting, Chris and Lance scooting in next to her, Justin and Joey hunkering down on the stair behind. Jen moved her legs to the side so JC could switch from sitting to kneeling, one arm draping across her thighs to steady himself. She wrapped an arm around his shoulders, pulling him back to lean against her and his hand came up, his fingers closing loosely around her forearm. “That’s got it! Hold it!” A few clicks later, she was satisfied. “Perfect!”

As they stood, Lance leaned over to give her a tight hug. “Thanks, Jen. For everything.”

“You are most welcome.” She smiled, turning her head and lowering her voice so that only he could hear. “You were amazing. Never doubt yourself. Okay?”

“Yeah.” He nodded with a grin, then released her and followed the others in jumping down the stairs to scatter among their family members, leaving her to maneuver the ladder-like staircase on her own.

“Seriously?” A sigh escaped as she judged the distance down, determining she wouldn’t land a jump as easily as they had. “What a bunch of vertically blessed punks.”

“Come on.” JC returned to the side of the stairs, chuckling at her predicament. “I’ve got you.”

“Yeah, right.” She moved closer to him, smiling a little when he had to look up at her. “This is different. I’ve never been taller than you. Feels powerful.”

“I’m sure it does.” A playful twinkle sparked in his eyes as he wrapped one arm around her thighs, the other going around her midsection as he pulled her off the stair and against his chest, letting her slide down as he worked out a more secure grip on her. “Did you enjoy the show?”

“It was wonderful.” Her hands framed his face as she rested her forehead against his. “I’m so proud of you, Josh.” She smiled as he stretched up to kiss her cheek. “And thank you for including Sailing. It sounded better than I ever hoped it would.”

“We had a hard time deciding between it and Here and Now.” His hold loosened as he leaned down, her feet finally touching the ground. “But Sailing is your favorite, so it won.”

“There are my boys!” Lou’s voice carried over the commotion as he came around the back side of the stage, Johnny Wright following on his heels. “Fantastic show, kids!”

JC looked down when he felt Jen withdraw, her happiness shuttering into a wary expression, her hand lightly touching his back as she nearly hid behind him at the large man’s approach. His arm went around her, pulling her protectively against his side, before letting his attention turn back to their benefactor.

“Gather around, folks. I’ve got someone you need to meet.” Once he had everyone’s attention, Lou clapped a hand over Johnny’s shoulder. “This is Johnny Wright, of Wright Entertainment Group. You were better than ever tonight, boys … and you’ve impressed this man right here. Say hello to your new manager.”

“You guys were better than impressive. You showed heart.” Johnny let his gaze move over everyone in the crowd, stopping when he found Jen, a smile crossing his features at the sight of her underneath JC’s arm. Her eyes widened in recognition, and she nodded at him, then grinned when he sent her a wink. “Heart is what it takes to make it in this business. Lots of heart and even more hard work. I’ll work hard for you, if you’ll work hard for me.” He seemed to make a point by stepping away from Lou. “I’ve already got a few labels in mind to shop this group to and as soon as I can get some meetings set up, we’ll get started. Be prepared to go to auditions in the next few weeks.” A murmur of excited chatter began to spread. “This is just the beginning, boys. Things are about to get exciting.”

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers mmcera debutsync presync jc justin joey chris college lance eurosync