Chapter 5

I was already late. I was suppose to have already been inside the cab that should have been pulling up to ‘The Red Door’ in a matter of minutes, but I was no where near that point. In fact my progress had suffered a horrible drawback when it suddenly dawned on me that my running through potential outfits had nothing to do with my hopes in making a good impression on the client. If there was one thing that I was sure about, it was what everything did NOT mean, and that’s about as far as I’ve gotten. Even now, as I stare down the catastrophe my closet has become, I still have no clue what I’m still doing half naked and at home. This was suppose to be a casual acquaintance, one where I- the hopefully employed- tried my best attempts to swoon the prospective client in an after hour, off site setting. Only, nothing about this forthcoming acquaintance was going to be normal. Justin Timberlake was going to be present. However, that’s not the end of the cookie crumbling. Factor in my overactive bladder- since I foresee an onslaught of drinking, my over protective girlfriend, and did I forget to mention that Belinda should now be added to the roster. In a fit of hysteria, I couldn’t stop myself from dialing her up just to rave about the nuisance her - whatever he is to her- was becoming to my life. I wasn’t thinking when I decided to call, at least not in the proper frame of mind that would have instantly sighted red flags once I began dialing. No I was working under the irrational notion that my close friend would bypass obvious factors contributing to my breakdown and focus on being the understanding friend that I so desperately needed. But I think I lost her shortly after the initial "Justin Fucking Timberlake" from which she had yet to recover. As of now, I’m sure she is a few short steps away from my door. She wasn’t coming over for consolation or moral support, she was coming because of Justin. What had I ever done to deserve this?

" I hope your ready Bry...we’re already late!" I underestimated her, Belinda was making record timing and yet I was still brooding in the middle of my floor, cradling my naked breast with my forearm. I didn’t even turn around at the sound of her voice, as it moved throughout my house. I knew she would find her way back to the bedroom any moment, which gave me barely a second to roll my eyes. I was taking the time to revel in how ‘we’ suddenly took the place of just me being late, when I felt the wind from the door being pushed open, tickle my back. " Figures." she sighed before plopping down onto the bed, making eye contact with me through the wall mirror.

" This is not how I was planning on spending my Friday night." I had thought about how I wanted to approach the subject of my opposition to Justin and now her attending- and I concluded that I’d just have to be frank. I didn’t have the time to sugarcoat feelings, and Belinda and I are well into our second year of friendship- which means we’re passed the skidding around bullshit phase. She had to already know my lack of tolerance for Justin, so shouldn’t be surprised by my forthcoming words.

" Bry..it could be a nice evening."

" Of course it can, without you or Justin present." I still hadn’t moved from my previous spot, was still very much naked, and still even more clueless about what I was planning on wearing. I was actually going to where a plunging back cocktail dress, but through that idea right out the window when Justin mentioned his intent on coming. I was a hair away from tossing on sweats and a faded Arkansas Razorback tee, which should go to show you how much I was not trying to make an impression.

" I can’t believe he’s your client. I was just talking to him about you the other day." I was going to start in on how much I really didn’t care about whatever side conversations they have during the time he’s around to literally fuck her over, but instead moved into my closet to pull out the black sequenced top that screamed headache. It was cute, in that disco ball sort of way, and I remember how much Miranda complained about the dizzying effect it gave off. Surely mixing alcohol with said effect can keep away unwanted company. Hopefully Justin would take the hint. I ignored the grunt Belinda gave when I slipped the top over my head and grabbed for the pair of slim fit black jeans that hung off the back of Miranda’s favorite sitting chair.

" Really, I would prefer it if you didn’t come." I sat down in front of the vanity and began brushing vigorously through my tangled strands. I didn’t even bother to blow dry, so it must have dried in the mist of my catatonic state while standing in front of my closet.

" Geez Bry, you’d think we weren’t even friends."

" That’s what I’m trying to save here. Friendship." I sighed, throwing my eyeliner once I realized it needed sharpened. I wasn’t about to try and fish out the sharpener, not when I had not intent on impressing anyone anyway. " And linking you up with Justin is the perfect ending to a good one. We have a strict rule!"

" No...you have a strict rule." Belinda sighed, standing up and walking over to me. She grabbed for the sharpener, my eyeliner, and then my face. Turning me abruptly to look at her, she began the makings of a smoky eye. " He’s not that bad Bry..just give him a chance."

" Is that why your coming?" I asked, frowning my face up at her. She quickly smacked the side of my face, in which I relaxed, and continued applying the liner. " If that’s the reason, you will be sorely disappointed."

" No Bryne, that’s not why I’m coming. I just feel like a little jazz tonight.." Belinda is not the best liar, and hardly a fan of jazz, so the ulterior motive was lurking way beneath that ridiculous lie. I waited for her to release my face before I began my inquiry.

" You don’t like jazz. What is this about?"

" I’m learning an appreciation...."

" And my ass always gets smaller when I eat snickers..what’s the deal?!" I watched her face transition from hard to soft in the matter of moments before she finally spoke.

" I haven’t seen him in a couple of days, so I..."

" Oh no you don’t." I interrupted, I didn’t care for the explanation behind her logic. If she thought she was going to be using my business date to smooth out any of the wrinkles in her and Justin’s relationship, she had another thing coming. I didn’t care for the relationship to begin with, and I damn sure wasn’t about to allow the nonsense behind it to become apart of this planned event. I was prepared to do one thing and one thing only tonight, and that was to handle business.

" It’s not like the Bryn.."

" It never is. No."

" What’s the big deal?" I forced my foot into my stiletto heel and just turned to look at my friend. She had to be kidding me if she thought the question had one simple answer. I had an array of answers and not one of them bordered on the line of simple.

" Belinda...listen. This is business, which means I can’t handle..and I completely refuse to deal, with any of you and Justin’s bullshit. I’m trying to ensure that JC gets the best possible party that I can provide, and there is nothing more that I care about tonight, tomorrow, and damn near forever as far as you and Justin are concerned."

" Cameron’s back." I had to laugh. I mean the girl was priceless. If she thought by revealing these little tidbits of information, that I’d be more relieved and thus more willing for her to come, she was completely insane.

" Go home Belinda."

" I won’t cause any trouble."

" Go home." I moved passed her, grabbing my clutch and heading for the door. She ran in front of me and propped herself between us. I looked at the door, thought about smashing her head in, then looked at her. She looked desperate, very frazzled, and damn near pathetic. I rolled my eyes, wishing I had never come to know this side of her. This side that weakened at just the mention of Justin’s name. I had never known such power one person could have over another, and if you ask me it seems the man is just dishing it out from left to right. It’s like any girl that ever crosses his path is doomed; Britney, Janet, Belinda, Cameron. It’s a shame these girls weren’t lesbians, if you ask me.

" Please Bryne. I’m gonna come anyway, it would just be nice to know I have some moral support." And here I thought I was looking for that same thing from her. Releasing my resistance, I shrugged my shoulders in defeat and sidestepped the appreciative hug she was leaning in for.

" Don’t ruin this for me Lindy."

I think it must have been a conspiracy, this whole night. Not only was I heading straight into a catastrophe unarmed and completely powerless, but every cab in New York seemed to have been lining the back streets leading to Miranda’s club. The initial meeting time was for 10, and the clock on the dashboard clearly read 11:05 p.m. To make matters worse, Belinda hadn’t stopped praising me for allowing her to accompany since we stepped foot outside my apartment. I was already regretting my decision, and we hadn’t even encountered Timberlake yet. I stepped out of the cab and thought about running in the opposite direction. I’m sure Miranda was taking good care of JC and my absence could be easily explained later. But then there was Justin. I’m surprised he hasn’t called yet, I was expecting at least twenty calls from him. When Belinda and I finally made it to the door, I could tell it was going to be a packed night. More packed than usual. The line finished off the corner and wrapped onto the adjacent street. I can’t tell you the last time I saw so many customers, Miranda was definitely making a kill tonight. Once inside, I couldn’t believe my eyes, the place was packed. I couldn’t imagine how if everyone was already inside, how could there be anyone else left to fill the line. I searched around for Miranda, but had yet to place her. Belinda had long since left my side in hot pursuit of her superstar which allowed me the space I needed to conduct business. I immediately started scoping the room for JC. I’m sure Miranda set him up in one of her guest booths and that he had the best seat in the house. I currently was standing at the opposite end of the bar, so began to make my way towards where I believed JC to be. Out the corner of my eye, I recognized Stan- the regular bartender- pouring up a few drinks. He was around the same age as Miranda, with more grey hair and a heavier texture to his chocolate skin. He was always smiling, never missing a beat, as he buzzed around the busy counter. I moved to an open space and leaned in to catch his attention.

" Valentine!" he beamed, walking over to me and placing a kiss on my cheek. I smiled at the pet name he gave me and returned the gesture before leaning back.

" Where’s Randy?"

" She’s keepin the new boy company." Stan yelled over the music, knodding his head towards the direction they were. I visibly relaxed, once I realized Miranda was with JC. She was a miracle, I don’t know what I’d do without her. I was lost in my own thoughts, trying to decide whether or not I should hold off on getting a drink when I felt a hand on the small of my back. I immediately looked up and noticed that slight smirk on Stan’s face, before I turned around to find Justin smiling down at me. His scent filled me, as I took in the sexy grin that hovered over me. He was damn sexy, a blue eyed male adonis. The only problem is the damn bastard knows he it.

" Can I get a double of whatever the lady wants?" Justin was speaking to Stan but still looking at me. I was disappointed to find that I was still looking at him, caught up in his royal blue eyes, not thinking to offer my choice of drink. I was thankful to hear Stan’s clearing of the throat to see that he was pushing towards me my usual. Pineapple Juice and Vodka.

" Thank you." there was a throaty quality to my voice, that bothered me even more as I met eyes with Stan to thank him. He gave me an easy grin, before looking back towards Justin. Placing a money clip on the bar, Justin slid it over and winked in Stan’s direction.

" Make sure she’s taken care of all night." I choked on the cherry I decided to suck on while I witnessed Stan and Justin’s exchange. I moved to stop Justin from doing so, since it was my girlfriend’s club and drinks were always free, but Stan moved out of sight before I could do so. I caught the sly wink he gave me when he turned and looked at me over his shoulder. Stan, always the quick one.

" You didn’t have to." I still hadn’t looked at Justin, since I was still fretting over the moment before when I couldn’t take my eyes off him. I was insanely uncomfortable, which could be the reason why I gulped down the double shot of my drink. I heard him laugh behind me, still hovering over me, with his hand still in place. I didn’t like the way my skin, or his hand, seemed to be heating up where the connected. It was strange, very much unappreciated, and difficult to ignore.

" And I didn’t think you were one to party." He lowered his mouth to my ears so that I picked up his words clearly. I shuddered, subconsciously, and reprimanded myself for doing so by biting down hard on my lip.

" I didn’t think you were one to have thoughts." He only laughed as he handed me another double shot of pineapple and vodka which Stan had cleverly deposited on the space of the bar in front of me. I attempted to take a sip, but found that I had successfully swallowed half of the glass’ contents. Once again I felt his laughter behind me, all around me, as he moved closer. I turned, not exactly comfortable with the way his body was pressing into mine from behind. I didn’t know what I thought to have expected with him now pressing against my front. His arms were on either side of me, his body was a inch away and his lips were definitely borderline touching mine.

" You look good tonight."

" As I do every night." I lowered my eyes from his and instead focused on how eerily soft his lips looked. At that moment, as if on cue, his tongue slid across them. The end result was a moist blanket of pink haven that somehow had my insides flaming.

" I don’t doubt that." He seemed closer, which was impossible to conceive- since we were already a short hair apart. I could feel him smile, as ridiculous as that sounds, but I could.

" Where is JC?" I sounded a bit rash, but I couldn’t help it. My senses were out of order and the reasoning behind that wasn’t exactly comforting. For the first time that night, Justin took a step back and began looking over the crowd in the direction Stan looked earlier.

" He’s over there. With the club manager Mary something.."

" Miranda." I sounded stern, so expected his perplexed sideways glance.

" Yea Miranda." He corrected, a soft smile playing off his lips. His moist, pink lips. It was sickening. Here I was, staring at those damned things, seeming to have forgotten that my friend- whom I came with- was right now searching in high alert for him at this very moment. I was the worst case of stupidity.

" Thank you for the drinks Justin..I think I’ll go join them." I was moving to his side, but no sooner than I began did his hand find its way to my hip. Even through the sequenced fabric, I could feel the touch of his hand. It was maddening.

" They seemed fine to me."

" Yes, but..but we have business to take care of." I was stammering, I sounded like a babbling fool. I was acting so much unlike myself, that I was beginning to reason that I was no longer myself. This new person was first of all holding conversation with Justin Timberlake, and secondly responding acutely to his presence. This new person was making a fool out of me.

" So do we."

" Belinda is looking for you." I felt the words leave my mouth, but it wasn’t until I heard the stickiness behind them that it finally donned on me that I had said them with a bit of an attitude. I watched his eyes cloud over with shock, then surprise as he registered what I had just said. It felt weird to actually mention her, and I was hoping it had more to do with that fact that I never mention her to him and less with the last five minutes of our encounter. His hold on me lightened, and I took the moment to free myself of him. Moving into the direction I had initially started in, I tried to shake the feeling in the pit of my stomach. I didn’t want to understand it, much less name it.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: missionary oral celebrityj cheaterj triangles enemiesturnedlovers