Author's Chapter Notes:

I hope you are enjoying the story. And I hope its not confusing the way Im writing it. I just wanted to try a different approach on how to tell a story! A story within a story. Thanks again for all the amazing feedback! I love hearing what you guys think!

Ordinary People

Present

“Here’s your refill.” Ashley-the young waitress said to Nicole as she placed the full glass of orange juice on the table.

Nicole glanced away from the window. “Oh. Thanks.” smiling.

Ashley gave a small smile. “Your welcome.” she cleared her throat, glancing at the empty booth opposite of Nicole. “Do you need…anything else?”

Nicole pretended she didn’t notice the young girl’s reaction to the fact that she was now sitting alone. Shaking her slightly, she respond. “I’m good for right now. Thank you.”

The waitress nodded slightly. She looked at Nicole, then glanced over the empty booth again. Licking her lips nervously, she asked. “Um…is he done?” It was obvious, she had been debating with herself whether or not to mention anything about who was sitting with Nicole.

Nicole wrinkled her nose, pretending the question did not phase her. “I don’t think so. He had to make a phone call.”

Ashley eyes lit up once again when it became clear that he was still in the diner. “Do you think he would like a refill of his coffee?” she asked Nicole.

She was stalling. Nicole could only smile. It never got old.

Nicole gave a glance to Justin’s empty cup. She was sure he wouldn’t want any more refills. But Ashley did not have to know that. Instead Nicole replied. “Uh…I don’t know.” shrugging innocently.

If it was possible the young waitress eyes lit up even more. “Oh. Then um…I’ll come back when he’s done with his phone call, and ask him.” she said eagerly.

Nicole smiled back up at her. “Okay.”

“Okay.” Ashley said.

After a few moments Nicole expected Ashley to go take care of another table, but she still stood there. Nicole tilted her head slightly. “Is something wrong?” Glancing back at Ashley with a concern look. For the first time really seeing the young woman in front of her. She looked to be sixteen-seventeen at the oldest and she had that look of complete innocence and curiosity in her eyes, plus a look of adoration that was reserved for one person and one person only…

It reminded Nicole of when she was younger.

Ironic, the look of adoration Ashley had in her eyes was for the same person, Nicole once had adored in the same way….

Blinking back to the present, Nicole repeated. “Is something wrong?”

Ashley ran her fingers nervously through her hair, before leaning in a bit. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“I’m not trying to be nosy or anything. I’m just curious…” pausing for a moment. Nicole already knew where the conversation was going. Ashley gave a nervous laugh before continuing. “Is that…you know…him.” emphasizing the word him. “I mean if its not, they do look a lot alike. I mean a lot.”

Nicole narrowed her eyes when she saw Justin standing a few feet behind Ashley. He hadn’t spoken yet, but Nicole knew what was coming next. And before she had the chance to say a word , she saw Ashley’s eyes widen and saw her face flush as Justin spoke.

It wasn’t the first time, he had done this.

“You know, I get that a lot.” he said into her ear. Ashley jumped and turned around, standing face to face with Justin. “We do look a lot alike.” he stated, sliding back into his side of the booth a grin on his face. “But I heard he’s a real asshole.” he finished.

“I’ve heard that too.” Nicole muttered, glaring over at her best friend.

Justin raised an eyebrow over at her and smirked as he took a bite of his toast.

“Are you sure?” Ashley blurted out, obviously not convinced. Then blushing even more.

“I’ am sure he’s a real asshole?“

Ashley smiled weakly. “Not that-“

Justin nodded reassuringly and stopped her. “You know what they say-everyone has a twin. And I guess Justin Timberlake is mine.” He coughed , when he felt Nicole’s foot on his toes.

“You okay?” Ashley asked in concern voice.

Justin only nodded, giving Nicole a look.

“Let me bring you another cup of coffee.” she offered. Whether or not she believed it wad Justin Timberlake or not, Nicole knew she was smitten with him. It was amazing how he could do that without even trying.

Justin shook his head. “Actually a glass of water would be fine.” he said to her.

“Sure.”

“Thanks.” Justin said, mustering a small smile.

Once they were alone again, Nicole leaned in and whispered. “Not only is he an asshole, but a jerk, a dick, and a bastard.” she spat out, still glaring. “That was mean J.”

Justin rolled his eyes. “What? Its not hurting anyone.” he defended.

“Did you not see the way she was looking at you?”

“What way? The way everyone and their mothers look at me?” he said dryly. “It’s not going to hurt her. When we leave, I don’t care if she tells everyone it is me. But right now, there’s no attention focus on us.”

“On you.” she corrected.

He sighed. “Right. On me.” he paused. “Do you see anyone outside that window pointing a damn camera through the window?” he asked. He didn’t wait for her to answer. “I get that it come with what I do, but sometimes its nice to go out and have lunch or brunch and not worry that its interrupting mine or anyone else’s private time.”

She leaned back against the booth. “Its still a lame excuse.”

“Fine.” he started. “If it makes you feel any better I’ll tell her its really me when she gets back with my water.”

“Then she’ll really think you’re an asshole.” she said with a frown.

Justin tossed his head back and laughed. “Well shit, apparently you already think that I’ am. Oh, and a jerk and a dick. What was the last one-?”

“A bastard.” she offered, a small smile tugging on her lips.

Justin nodded. Good. She wasn’t that mad at him. “Right. And a bastard.” he said in a serious voice. “So having a total stranger think that I‘m an asshole is nothing.” He then kicked her playfully underneath the table. “C’mon Nic. Chill out. I need to have my funs and giggles too.” he joked lamely.

She only shook her head and let out a sigh, but couldn’t help but smile. Okay, so it wasn’t such a big deal.

Justin leaned in, reaching for her glass of orange juice. “I’ll leave her a big tip.” he stated, taking a gulp of her orange juice.

Nicole snorted. “Right. That wont give away that its really you.” she said sarcastically. “And can I have my glass back?”

He took another sip before handing it back to her. “Here. But it’s the least you could do for stepping on my toes and almost making me choke on my toast.” he said in a hurt voice.

She raised her eyebrow at him, as she place the glass to her lips and stated. “You deserved it.”

“Yeah. Yeah.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2002

Fuck. Why was it so damn bright? He opened one eye first. He cursed in head again. He grunted. What time was it? And where the hell was he? Because it sure didn’t feel like he was sleeping in his warm bed. After a few seconds of debating with himself on whether to fully open his eyes, he did.

Okay, so he was laying on a couch…

He grunted again. “Too bright. Too fucking bright.” placing one arm over his eyes.

He heard Trace’s familiar voice over him. “Good. I thought you were dead or something.” a tone of amusement in his voice.

Justin moved his arm away and focused his eyes on Trace, who stood above him, looking down at him with a smirk. “What time is it?” Ignoring Trace’s comment.

“Two in the afternoon.” Trace replied.

Justin sat up. “Fuck.” was all he said.

“Yeah fucker. You passed out.” Trace responded, reading his mind, and making his way to the kitchen.

It was obvious he wasn’t in his home. Or his mother’s. “We went out last night?” he said out loud, more to himself than to Trace.

Trace laughed from the kitchen. “You don’t remember?”

Sadly, he didn’t. Shit, he was still trying to figure out who’s house he was at. Because it sure hell wasn’t his. He glanced around for a few moments. It looked familiar…

Pharrell! He was sitting in Pharrell’s couch, in Virginia. And as quickly as that, everything came rushing back to him. He was in Virginia working on some material for his solo project. He had been there for a few days now, with Trace and Nicole…

Without thinking twice, he blurted out. “Where’s Nic?” glancing over at Trace from the couch.

Trace’s back was to him, looking through the open fridge, but he turned around at Justin’s question, his tone changing completely. “Upstairs.” Narrowing his eyes over at him. After a few moments, Trace spoke up again. “You really don’t remember anything from last night?”

“Should I?” he asked, getting up from the couch and making his way toward the kitchen. He shut his eyes for a split second, feeling an ache on the side of his jaw and cheek. What the hell did he do last night? Rubbing the side of his cheek with the back of his hand.

Trace shut the fridge after grabbing a bottle of water and leaning against the counter. “If I were you- I would start trying to remember.” the smirk back on his face.

Justin opened and shut his jaw a few times. Damn, it ached. “Why?” he asked Trace.

“You really have no fucking clue do you?”

Justin glared over at his best friend. “No, Trace. I really don’t have a fucking clue.” He paused. “I remember leaving the studio and picking up Nic and meeting a few other people, and heading out to that club…” he trailed off, as he opened the fridge door. “I remember ordering a shit load of alcohol.” He reached for a bottle of water and turned back to Trace. “After that, everything is fucking blur.” He rubbed his cheek again. “Why the fuck is my cheek hurting so much?” he mumbled to himself.

Trace snorted back is laughter.

Justin quickly looked over at him. “What?”

Trace shook his head and smiled knowingly at him. “You don’t remember getting slapped last night?”

“What?!” Justin exclaimed. “Slapped?” Hoping he had heard Trace wrong. “What the hell for? And by who?!” Opening the top of his bottled water. “Wait-Tiny would not have allowed anyone-”

“Oh trust me, not even Tiny could have stopped the shit you did last night.” Trace interrupted him.

Justin looked at Trace with confusion in his eyes. “What?” he took a big gulp of water. “C’mon Trace, hell half of the time I cant even take a piss without someone there, so how the fuck did someone slap me?”

Trace shrugged. “Dude, it happen. It was a bitch slap too. And usually I would have come to your defense, but you deserved it last night, whether you were toasted or not.”

Damn it, now he was getting frustrated. He couldn’t remember anything. He knew he could be an asshole when he had too much, but shit, there was always someone there to stop him if necessary. And there had to be a reason right? He couldn’t just gotten slap just for the hell of it.

All of a sudden none of that matter. He shut his eyes and let out a groan. Nicole. Nicole had seen him that way last night. Usually if he was out with her, and got drunk he remembered his actions, but he never, ever gotten drunk around her and then couldn’t remember the night before. Fuck.

Suddenly finding out who had slapped him, seemed less important at the moment.

“Where’s Nicky?” he asked Trace again. He had to talk to her.

Trace’s face turned serious again. “I told you. Upstairs.”

“Ok, I need to go talk to her.” Justin informed Trace. Trace only raised his eyebrow at him. “I’ve never gotten that drunk around her…and I just… need talk to her.” he finished. He looked wide eyed at Trace. “Fuck, did I say or do something to her, that I need to apologize for?” he asked.

Trace glanced over Justin’s shoulder, his eyes landing on Nicole, who stood a few feet away. He glanced back at Justin. “I-uh…I think you should ask her. I’m going to take a shower.” He wasn’t getting involve. Walking past Justin and giving him a good luck slap on the back.

Justin turned around, and was face to face with Nicole. She stood a few feet away, hair up, and in a simple pink baby-tee, with a pair of jeans, that fit her perfectly, from where he stood. Her face showed no emotion. Great, looking at her, just made him feel even crappier. She locked eyes with him for a second, then seemed to blink back to reality before taking a step in his direction. But instead of stopping once she reached him like he hoped she would, she walked past him.

He cursed at himself. It was obvious she was mad at him. Now he just had to figure out what he had done, to piss her off.

He watched her open the fridge and take out the gallon of milk, and placed it on the counter.

“Okay, think Justin.” he told himself. He couldn’t stand having her mad at him. Even if he was sure he deserved it.

He opened his mouth not sure where to even start. After a few more seconds of debating. He finally spoke. “Nicky-” he stopped himself.

She looked up him, but didn’t say a word. Instead she turned her back on him and grabbed a clean glass from the sink, then turned back around and poured herself a glass of milk. Still, ignoring him.

Now he was getting frustrated. “If you wont talk to me how I am supposed to fix what I did?” he asked.

Nicole had put the lid back on the gallon of milk and slammed it on the counter, glaring at him. “Excuse me?!” she exclaimed, speaking for the first time. Good, at least she was talking to him now. “You’re the one that fucks up and I’m the one that needs to tell you why!?”

“I don’t remember! Damn it! Don’t you think its killing me?” he said, making his way to her and standing face to face with her.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” she said dryly. She looked up at him, her eyes filled with anger and hurt. “But maybe if you hadn’t gotten completely wasted and high you would remember!” she yelled, pushing past him.

Justin was too fast for her, and took a hold of her elbow, pulling her back to him. She struggled. But Justin was stronger. High? He got high around her? For what seemed the thousand time since he woke up, he cursed at himself. He had never gotten high around her. Ever. It was something he didn’t like to do.

He had fucked up. Big time.

“Let go of my fucking arm!” she demanded, struggling to let herself free from his grip. “I’m serious Justin.” she told him.

“Or what?” he spat out.

“Or you’ll get slap again.” Nicole stated in a cool tone, her eyes locking with his. “Only this time you’ll remember it.”

All of a sudden it came back to him. She was the one who slapped him. Nicole. That’s why no one, not even Tiny had bother to stop it. He let go of her elbow. His anger boiling over. “You slapped me?” he asked her, trying to stay in control.

“Yes.” she stated, standing her ground.

He took in a deep breath. He didn’t get angry often, especially at her. He clinched his jaw. “What the fuck did I do to get slapped?” he demanded. “I think I have a right to know what the fuck I did Nicole!”

“Now you care?” she spat back. “Because you sure as hell didn’t care about anything last night Justin. Not about yourself. And not about me.” whispering the last part.

The anger Justin had, suddenly seemed to disappear. He didn’t need know the details of the night before to realize he had hurt her somehow. But he needed to know. Taking in a deep breath, he asked her in a calmer voice. “Tell me what I did. Tell me what I need to do to fix it.”

She shook her head. “What’s the point?”

“You slapped me for a reason. I want to know what it was.” he repeated. She didn’t say a word. “Look, Nicky, I know I messed up. Fucked up. I guess, I just needed to let out some steam after being in the studio all day-”

Nicole shook her head. “Its not even about that J.” sounding a lot more calmer as well. “Its not like I didn’t know. You know I don’t care about that-” she paused, blinking back her tears. “One moment we were fine. And the next…you were hitting on this girl…in front of me.” she swallowed her tears. “And I know I shouldn’t care. Because we aren’t-” she stopped herself. “I guess it just pissed me off that you were doing it in front of me.”

“So you decided to just slap me?” he asked, trying to hide the amusement in his voice. So she had gotten jealous?

“It was more than that…you were all over her.” she stated, glaring up at him. “It just pissed me off because of what you had said-” she bit her lower lip. “So yes. Yes. I was pissed and jealous.”

“So you slapped me?” he repeated with a raised eyebrow and rubbing his cheek again.

“You pissed me off. You were saying these mean…things, even after I told you.” Nicole stated. She looked curiously up at him. “You don’t remember anything, do you?”

He shook his head no. He looked into her eyes and asked in a whisper. “I made you cry didn’t I?” Licking his lips nervously. Nicole only gave him a look. The look she gave was enough answer for him. “Nicky-” he started, taking a step closer to her.

Dear god. How was he going to fix this? Especially when he didn’t remember any of it? He opened his mouth again to speak, but before he had a chance to speak a word, he heard Pharrells’ voice.

“Hey, there you are.” Oblivious to the fact that Justin and Nicole were in the middle of a conversation. “What the hell are you waiting for? I thought we were headed back into the studio?” he asked. He smiled when he saw Nicole, walking over to her, and kissing her on the cheek. “Did you sleep well?”

Nicole gave him a forced smile. “Yea. Thanks again for letting us stay here last night.” she glanced back at Justin. “I’m going to go and get ready. Rach, should be arriving later on today and Tiny said he would drive me to the airport to pick her up.” And without saying another word, walked out of the kitchen, disappearing up the stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Justin sat on the couch in the studio, his mind else where. Usually, when he was in the studio all his mind could focus was on his music. But not today. Today, all he could think of was Nicole. He blinked back to reality when he felt Trace sit himself down next to him.

“What’s the hell is wrong?” Trace asked, giving Justin a raised eyebrow.

Justin shook his head and answered. “Nothing.”

Trace frowned. “Bull shit.” he paused a split second. “I’m guessing you didn’t work things out with Nic?”

Justin laid his head back on the couch, shut his eyes and said with a sigh. “I fucked up. I know I did. I just wish I could remember.” He opened his eyes, and locked them with Trace. “I made her cry Trace.”

Trace tone and face turned serious. “I know. I was there.”

Justin winced at his friend tone. “I fucked it up bad didn’t I?” he asked. Trace gave him a raised eyebrow.
Yep, he had fucked up. Big time. Letting out a sigh, he asked said. “I need to know what I did.”

Trace gave him a look and replied. “Nic, didn’t tell you?”

Justin shook his head. “We got interrupted. And besides I have a feeling she wouldn’t tell me anyway.” he paused. “I need to fix it Trace.” looking over at his oldest friend. “It’s Nicole.”

Trace shut his eyes for a second then let out a sigh. “So I’m guessing you want me to tell you?” Justin only gave him a look. Trace rolled his eyes. “You do realize she made me promise her I wouldn’t tell you anything?” he paused. “But fuck it. I think you have a right to know how much of an ass you were last night to her.”

Justin frowned. “Thanks, Trace.”

“Just so you know, she did defend you at first.” Trace stated. Justin gave him a confused look. Trace gave a small nod.

Justin blinked. “What?”

“Dude, one moment you were with her the next moment, you were all over this other girl. I don’t mean just talking J. All over her. Which any other night I would have been egging you on, but Nicole was there. And I know its none of my business, but I care for her too.”

“I know you do.” Justin said. “Don’t you think I do?”

“No, I know you do J. Which is what I don’t understand about you two. About last night. Shit, I know you fucking love her, and she loves you-” he let out a sigh. “And she kept saying it wasn’t a big deal, until you came back to her, and pretended like you hadn’t been all over the other girl. And then you tried being all over her. That’s what pissed her off. So she called you on it.” he let out a laugh. “At first I knew better than to get involve…but then you just got mean, and loud in front of everyone J. And she kept telling me to not worry or get involve. You were just drunk. But you didn’t seem to care. Fuck, that just seemed to piss you off even more.”

“Fuck. Fuck.” he stated in anger, resting his head back against the couch. “I have to fix it man.” he said more to himself than to Trace.

“Then fix it.” Trace stated. “Look, I don’t want to get involve. But maybe this is what you needed. Maybe now you two can finally get past the drama and just fucking admit your in love with each other.” a knowing smirk on his face.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers