Author's Chapter Notes:

Im back!! I know its been awhile, but its been kind of a hectic and emotional summer and havent really had my focus on the story, but I think I'm back and hope to have updates more often! Here is my first chapter in my comeback. LOL. I hope you enjoy!

Chapter 26

Slow Dancing in A Burning Room

Present

Memphis

Justin waited a few minutes before slipping into the empty seat next to Nicole at the dinner table late that Saturday night. He smirked, waiting on her to turn back in his direction. He leaned back against the chair, and reached out for his glass of whiskey, waiting patiently. He could scare her…but thought twice about doing it. He watched her from the corner of one eye as he brought the glass up to his lips and took a large swig of his beverage then glanced away from her when he heard his mom’s laughter a few feet away.

Lynn stood at the other end of the table talking animatedly to Paul and Rachael. Justin smiled, watching both of his parents. They both looked happy, relieved, proud and satisfied after the events of earlier in the day. It had taken over a year of hard work, and dedication but the Mirimichi Opening had finally taken place earlier in the day and if he didn’t say so himself, it had been a success. He only smiled bigger. And it meant so much more because it was something he could share and experience with his parents.

He placed the half empty glass back on the table. The alcohol slowly settling in his bones. Yes, this was another cool moment in his life he never thought would be possible. And after almost a whole day of being on the golf course- which he wasn’t complaining about- himself along with his parents, his step-parents, grandparents and a few close friends were out at BBKing on Beale Street, celebrating the success of the day.

Damn, sometimes he forgot how much he missed home. He glanced away from his parents direction, his eyes falling to the back of Nicole’s head. He wrinkled his nose, and looked over the top of her head, trying to see where her attention was focused on. He scanned the room, and instantly his eyes found the focus of her attention. Nicole’s mother, Susan -stood a few feet away from the dinner table, talking to an older man. Justin chuckled under his breath. Things between him and Nicole had been strained in the past couple of months, but Justin still knew her, and he didn’t need to see her face to know the type of expression that was painted on her features.

He leaned back against his chair at the same time Nicole turned around. She blinked in surprise when her eyes fell on Justin’s face. “Jesus. You scared me!” she exclaimed.

Justin chuckled as he brought the glass back up to his lips. “That’s not usually the type of response I get from most women.” he teased.

Nicole wrinkled her nose and shot back. “I’m not most women.” Justin snorted back his laughter, his eyes looking her up and down. Nicole shifted uncomfortably in her chair but narrowed her eyes at him as he opened his mouth to speak, then quickly shut it again. “What?” Nicole challenged.

Justin only shook his head, as he placed the glass back on the table. “Nothing.” biting his tongue. He wasn’t going to be a smart ass. Things between them were still a bit awkward, and he wasn’t sure if he was willing to test out how much he could do to piss her off. Nicole raised an eyebrow as she responded with a “Hmph.” sound. Justin resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

Then again, maybe it was exactly what they needed to break out of the awkward, yet sexual tension they had created over 2 and half months ago. Wow, had it really been that long since the kiss in his kitchen? It didn’t feel 2 months ago, in fact it felt as if it just happened. Especially since it crossed his thoughts more than once or twice a day. He knew he should forget about it, but it was easier said than done. As wrong as it sounded he couldn’t just make those thoughts, and images evaporate from his brain. Nicole’s kisses and touch were not exactly the easiest things to forget. But he also knew he was tired of the small and strained talks they had shared in the past couple of months. It seemed like the moment she had walked out of the kitchen that night, their friendship had too. It wasn’t as if it was the first time he had kissed her, or touched her, or breathed in her sweet scent…

But he knew things were different this time around. They had crossed the line they always told themselves they would never cross. And he knew that’s why things were so weird. Neither one knew how to fix it, or even if they could fix it. They had technically cheated on their significant others. But damn it, even with all that, he missed his best friend. He missed talking to her and laughing with her. He missed being able to call her in the middle of day to tell her about the random things that were going on around him. It was simple, he just missed her.

He got out of the chair, and before he changed his mind, he said. “C’mon.” extending his hand to her.

Nicole glanced up at him, a confused look on her face. “What?” one hand resting on top of her chair.

Justin glanced in the direction of the dance floor. “Lets dance.” he stated. “I have a feeling you’ll drive yourself crazy if you continue to stare any longer in that direction.” Slightly nodding his head in the direction of Nicole’s mom. “C’mon.” he repeated, reaching out for her hand.

Nicole shook her head, a nervous laugh escaped her lips. “Justin…” she started.

Justin placed his hand over hers, ignoring the fact that she jumped when his fingers grazed her skin, he gave it a small squeeze and leaned down. “I don’t bite Nic.” he teased in a whisper. Nicole looked up, meeting his eyes in a long gaze. Justin swallowed the lump in his throat, the urge of telling her how much he wanted to kiss her at the tip of his tongue. Instead in a hoarse voice he said. “Dance with me.”

“J-” she started again.

He raised an eyebrow and interrupted. “It’s just dancing.” he stated as he pulled her out of the chair and lead her in the direction of the dance floor. The familiar sound of the blues guitar hitting his eardrums and his heart. Nicole grudgley let him drag her, his fingers tangled in between hers, his grip tightening when she stopped for a split second. Justin glanced back at her over his shoulder and narrowed his eyes. He loosened the grip, waiting for her to walk away from him. But she didn’t. He raised an eyebrow at her, she shrugged, a small smile tugging on her lips as they finally stepped unto the dance floor.

Justin let go of her hand, as they faced each other. He licked his lips, and took a moment before he wrapped one arm around her waist. He heard her take in a shaky breath, as she placed one arm over his shoulder. They locked eyes, and Justin swallowed. Maybe this was a mistake. But before he had the chance to think of what to say, he heard the applause and screams from everyone in the bar as the band ended their song.

“Alright, it seems we have a request.” the lead singer announced in a loud southern accent. “Usually we don’t do covers, but this young lady was adamant and wouldn’t take no for an answer.” he paused. “Plus, how can you say no to your own daughter?” he asked with a light chuckle. Everyone laughed, including Justin and Nicole. “It’s a John Mayer cover.“ He paused again. “This one is dedicated to all those couples out there who feel like they are ‘Slow Dancing in a Burning Room.’”

Justin laughed to himself as he heard the rift of the guitar. He pressed her body to him, she slightly gripped on to his shoulder with one hand, as he took her free hand and tangled his fingers with hers and brought it close to his chest. Nicole looked up at him through her lashes, as they slowly began to sway to the music.

She spoke up first. “Not exactly the song I imagined us dancing too.” she mused.

That time Justin laughed out loud. “Yea, I was thinking the same thing.” he paused for a second. “But did you expect anything else for us?”

She shook her head and gave a short laugh. “No.”

Its not a silly little moment
Its not the storm before the calm
This is the deep and dyin breath of
this love we’ve been workin on

Justin chuckled lightly, pressing the palm of his hand tighter on the small of her back, as his eyes wondered around the dance floor. He looked back down at her, and caught her starring up at him. Justin only smirked when she quickly averted her eyes from him, and glanced over his shoulder. After a few seconds, Justin leaned in to her ear. “See? Nothing to worry about. We are not the only ones out here.” he observed.

Nicole looked back up at him and wrinkled her nose. “I never said-” she started.

Justin stopped her. “You didn’t have to Nicky. It was all over your face. No one is paying attention to us.” he paused. “So relax.” he suggested, as he pressed her warm body even closer to his. Hoping she couldn’t hear how fast his heart was thumping within his chest. “I promise to keep my hands where people can see them.” he joked into her ear, trying his best to lighten the moment.

“Very funny.” she answered with a light laugh.

“I thought so.”

“Yeah, well those hands have almost got us in trouble in the past.” she reminded with a small frown.

Justin rolled his eyes. “Of course, only mine. Yours have always been innocent.” he mocked as he absently rubbed the inside of her palm with his thumb. Damn, her palm was soft, just like her lips. Just like every part of her. He blinked back to the conversation at hand and said with an raised eyebrow. “Maybe you should keep your hands where people can see them.”

Nicole glared. “That’s wont be hard to do.” she snapped back, but her hand shook as tried to untangle her hand from his.

“Why is that?” he asked but didn’t expect a response, instead his thumb knuckle continued to rub the inside of her palm. He knew he was playing with fire. He knew he should just let her hand go and let his hand drop from around her waist, and just let her walk away. But a tiny of part of him was enjoying the fact that he could still make her nervous. Enjoying the idea that he could still make her squirm.

Cant seem to hold you like I want to
So I can feel you in my arms
Nobody’s gonna come and save you
We pulled too many false alarms

“What’s wrong?” he asked with a mischievous smile. Their bodies still moving to the music.

“I hate you.” she hissed.

“I’ am making you nervous?” he asked, ignoring her last comment. He could feel her heart racing. He knew he should stop. But he couldn’t seem to make himself do it, not when he had her in his arms.

Nicole clinched her jaw and said through gritted teeth. “Let go Justin.” Justin smiled sweetly down at her and only tighten his grip on her waist. She looked wide-eyed at him and gasped when she realized what she had just made contact with. “This is getting fucking ridiculous.” she snapped. “I am not afraid to make a damn scene Timberlake.” she threaten.

I was the one you always dreamed of
You were the one I tried to draw
How dare you say its nothing to me?
Baby, you’re the only light I ever saw

“I know your not.” Justin agreed, bending his head down, his mouth inches away from her. “But you would have done it already, if it bothered you so much.” He knew he was pushing her buttons. He watched as she discreetly struggled to let her hand free from his. Justin loosened the grip deciding it was probably better this way. She surprised him.

Instead of watching her walk away from him, Justin watched her wrap both her arms around his neck, a low groan escaping his lips when her covered breasts crushed against his chest and her fingertips lightly grazed the back of his neck. He glanced down at her in shock and this time she had the mischievous smile on her face.

I’ll make the most of all the sadness
You’ll be a bitch because you can
You’ll try to hit me just to hurt me
So you leave me feeling dirty
Cause you cant understand


“Fine.” Nicole whispered. “Two can play this game.” she stated, her breath tickling his face. She licked her lips. “Tell me J…” she started. “ Would you be this comfortable if your girlfriend were here? Hmm?”

Justin regained his control and split second shock and replied. “I could ask you the same question. What if Chase where here?”

“But he’s not.” she retorted.

Justin pretended he didn’t notice how close her mouth was when she spoke. “Neither is Jess.” From the corner of his eye he looked out into the dance floor. So far, no one was paying attention to them. But damn it, he should have just stopped when he had the chance. Just like he knew her buttons, Nicole knew his. It was dirty little game they were playing now.

He watched her lick her lips again. “Oh. I’m sorry. I’ am making you nervous now?” she whispered in his ear. She gasped when he tighten his grip on her waist. “That hurts.” she said through her teeth.

“If you would just fucking relax…” he muttered.

“How do you expect me to-” she stopped herself, and paused for a moment, then after taking a deep breath she spoke up again. “You started this.” she reminded. The tone of her voice changing. She sounded almost scared. He knew right then and there that she was done with the charade they had been playing a few moments earlier. “I didn’t want to come out here. You dragged me.” He looked over at her. “This is stupid.” She said out loud- almost to herself with a shake of her head. Justin eased his grip on her waist. He knew she was right. “Aren’t you scared of people wondering what the hell we’re doing?” she asked as her eyes wondered around the smoky room.

“We’re just dancing Nicky.” he said in a low voice.

She snorted. “Right. That’s exactly what we are doing.”

Justin smirked. “I just wanted to dance. But you had to go and make it all tense and shit.” he accused. It still amazed him how they could go from one moment to the next in 10 seconds flat. At times it reminded him of the ocean. One moment they were calm, the next moment it was as if the waves wouldn’t stop crashing.

“That’s not true!” she said defensively.

“Yes it is.” he said with a nod. “Do you realize this is the first time in 2 months we’ve had a conversation in which our answers aren’t one worded?” he asked. Nicole glanced away from him, biting on her lower lip. “Or tense.” he observed.

Nicole glanced around them before speaking in a hushed tone. “J-what we did was-”

“That’s the thing Nicky- nothing happened.” he reminded.

Nicole’s jaw dropped. “What do you mean-nothing happened?” she exclaimed.

Justin sighed. “Okay, okay. That’s not true.” closing his eyes for a second, trying his best to get the image of Nicole on his kitchen counter, shirt unbutton and in only panties out of his head. “It happened. And there is nothing we can do to change it. And I know things were going to be weird with us, but damn it Nicole the moment you walked out of the kitchen that night I felt like our friendship went out too.” he said honestly. “And as much as I hate to admit it-I miss you.” a small smile on his face. “And I know you miss me.” he told her knowingly.

She rolled her eyes at his last comment but said. “I’ll admit it, I have missed… talking to you.” She locked eyes with him. “But-”

“But what?” he asked.

“That cant happen again J.” she whispered. “I mean, it just cant.”

Justin nodded in agreement. “I know. Believe me, I know.” He said as his hands rubbed the small of her back. “But it did. And now we just have to move from it. That’s all we can do.”

And you know that we’re doomed
My dear, we’re slow dancing in a burning room

“But you cant just go and fucking ignore me.” he said half-teasingly.

“You were doing it too.” Nicole stated. “You could have talked to me sooner about this.” she said.

Justin snorted back is laughter. “Right. Because that’s always been so fucking easy to do with you.” he retorted. “Because talking to you about this kind of shit has always been a walk in the park.” he said sarcastically. “Why do you think I dragged you out here for?”

Don’t you think we oughta know by now?
Don’t you think we should have learned somehow?

Chapter End Notes:
Lyrics credited to John Mayer's "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room"


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers