Chapter Four: Summer Love

It had been a couple of weeks since Lindsay had met Justin's friends at the bar that night. Things had been going well between the young couple. Now that Lindsay had Justin's friends' approval, it seemed to only intensify their relationship.

They spent more time at each other's houses with each other and less time alone by themselves. They had both gotten into the habit of staying at each other's houses on the weekends. Lindsay couldn't stay at his house during the week; she ended up being late to work one too many times.

The mysterious phone calls became more frequent, happening four or five times while she was at home after work. Sometimes she would get so frustrated with it she would unplug the phone all together. That wasn't always the smartest idea.

One time after unplugging her phone, she went to take a shower. But when she got out she heard a loud banging coming from her front door. She rushed to the door; her robe tied tightly, her hair lightly dripping. She peaked out the window and saw Justin there in some jeans, his chest bare as he leaned against the doorway panting.

She opened the door quickly.

"Justin, what's wrong?" she questioned, opening the screen door so he could enter the house.

He stepped into the house, still trying to catch his breathe.

"Your phone, it-," he started.

"My phone?" she questioned, looking at him, her expression filled with confusion.

"I tried to call you and-," he started once more.

"Oh," it dawned on her, "I took it off the hook."

"Why?" He asked.

"I uh, didn't want to be bothered," she said quickly.

"Don't ever do that," he warned, his breathing becoming even once more.

"Sorry," she smirked.

He left a few minutes later, after Lindsay assured him that she was fine and would be fine the rest of the night. She smiled to herself as she waved at him once more as he walked down the road back to his home and she went into her bedroom to get into some comfortable clothes for the night. She thought it was incredibly sweet that he was that worried about her, and she found herself smiling every time she thought about him.

She was now in the kitchen preparing dinner for the both of them on a hot Sunday evening. The summer rays lagged on with the hot sun shining brightly every day. She had gone through the house, opening all the windows, hoping the light breeze might cool down the temperature in the house a little.

She was preparing a simple meal of hamburgers, with some chips, chili beans and salad for good measure. Justin was bringing the desert.

She had volunteered to make dinner since this was Justin's last night in town for a week. He was going home to see his grandma, it was her birthday and his family was having a big celebration. He didn't ask her to go, but she probably would have turned him down if he did.

She was taking the hamburgers out of the broiler at the bottom of the oven when she heard the familiar knock on the side of her screen door. She put the pan onto the counter top and took off the oven mitts, and walked towards the front door. Justin was standing there, holding a square glass pan with a cloth over it in one hand and holding a plastic grocery bag in the other. She unlocked the screen and he stepped inside.

"Hi," he said, leaning down to kiss her lips lightly.

She smiled as he walked past her towards the kitchen. She closed and locked the screen door and made her way back into the kitchen. He was closing the freezer door, as she stepped back into the kitchen.

"It's hot," he stated.

Lindsay nodded, "Even worse with this oven on."

She walked to the counter, setting the toasted buns on the plates as he walked over to her.

"How was your day?" He asked, leaning against the counter facing her.

"Fine," she said, "Karen was out of the office most of the day."

"Darn, I should have come by." He snapped his fingers.

She smiled.

"What did you do today?"

She squirting the mustard and ketchup onto the buns. They had eaten together enough for her to know what he liked on his burgers. She began to put the cut up tomato, lettuce, and pickles on them as well.

"Packed," he said and reached down taking a piece of tomato from the plate and eating it.

Lindsay put the patties onto the buns and put the top on them.

"Can you get the salad for me?" She questioned, "It's in the fridge."

He nodded and turned to open the fridge, kind of sighing as the cool air ran out of it over his body. He leaned down reaching for the salad bowl, as he stood up again putting the bowl onto the counter the phone rang beside him.

"I got it," he said quickly.

Before Lindsay even had time to think, he reached over picking up the phone from the cradle.

"Hello?"

There was silence once, but he could hear something, someone. Someone was breathing into the other line.

"Hello?"

Lindsay watched him, knowing what he was hearing on the other line.

"I can hear you breathing."

With that the clank of the telephone could be heard as the person hung the phone up. Justin put the phone back onto the cradle and turned to look at Lindsay as she stood watching him.

"That was odd," he said. "You get those a lot?"

Lindsay shook her head and went back what she had been doing before the call, putting the patties onto the buns and took the plates to the table where the bowl of potato chips and chili beans were sitting. Justin brought the salad bowl and salad dressings to the table as Lindsay went back to get their drinks.

Justin sat down in his usual seat watching her as she walked into the kitchen.

"What do you want to drink?" She questioned opening the fridge door.

"I'll just take a soda," Justin said.

She nodded. After grabbing two cans of cola from the six pack she had in the fridge, she got out two glasses, putting ice into them and walked back to the table. She put them down as she sat down across from him.

He bowed his head, saying grace once more as Lindsay watched him once again her eyes half open. He finished and began to dig into his meal as Lindsay opened the soda can and began to pour it into her glass.

"Are you sure you're gonna be alright here?" He asked. "I don't have to go."

Lindsay rolled her eyes, taking a sip of her soda.

"Yes you have to go, your grandma is important to you," she said. "And I'll be fine."

Justin looked at her unsure as he took another bite of his burger.

"I can always get Jesse to come and protect me," Lindsay winked.

Justin chuckled.

"Not funny," he said shaking his head.

Lindsay smiled.

"I'll be fine, it's just a week and it's not like I can't take care of myself," she began. "I was just fine before you showed up and started stalking me."

He rolled his eyes, "You love it girl."

Lindsay laughed as she took a bite of her burger. They ate in silence for a few minutes, enjoying each other's company while they still had it.

"When do you leave?" Lindsay questioned.

"Early," he said. "I should be on the road by six."

Lindsay made a face.

"Have fun with that."

He laughed, "thanks."

Their dinner continued on with small chit chat once again. It had been awhile since they had last seen each other, so they had a few things to talk about.

Apparently Justin's friends had taken a liking to Lindsay, and they all wanted to hang out again, but this time they wanted Justin to host a party. Lindsay laughed at the thought of all of his buddy's bustling around his house doing who knows what to his things. She wouldn't mind seeing them again, except maybe Scooter, he was a little scary.

They had finished dinner and Justin insisted on helping her do the dishes. So they stood side by side at the sink as Lindsay washed and Justin dried.

"Hey Jus," Lindsay said.

"Hmm," he said after drying a plate and looked at her.

She smirked, her hand lifting from the water as she flicked some water at him. He closed his eyes quickly, gasping as the water hit his face.

"No you didn't," he said, looking at her.

She laughed, taking her hands out of the water and started to back away from him. He got this evil smirk on his face, tossing the towel onto the counter and chasing after her.

Lindsay squealed as she ran past him out of her back door and out into the field behind her house. Justin quickly followed her, reaching her and grabbing her by the waist to stop her from running. Lindsay's back was pushed against his chest as he held her tightly, she laughed loudly moving her feet under his causing him to lose his balance and they fell to the floor.

Justin landed on his back, with Lindsay in his arms as he continued to hold her waist; they both fell with a ‘oof'.

"Oww," Lindsay groaned as she rolled off of Justin.

They were laughing as they laid there in the middle of the grass field side by side. The grass rose over both of them, hiding them in the landscape.

"You okay?" Justin asked, laughter still evident in his voice as he turned and looked at her.

"That hurt," Lindsay said with a laugh.

"Teach you to throw water at me" he said, and looked up at the sky.

The sun was setting and darkness was setting into the night sky, the stars starting to make their appearance for the night.

"You didn't have to tackle me," Lindsay muttered looking up at the sky as well.

He chuckled, and closed his eyes taking a deep breath of the country air.

"You smell that?" he questioned.

"Smell what?" she asked.

"The cleanness in the air," he said, like it was obvious.

Lindsay took a deep breath, and closed her eyes too. Justin turned to watch her and smiled as she opened her eyes slowly.

Tell me where you from, what you do, what you like
Let me pick your brain girl
And tell me how they got that pretty little face on that pretty little frame girl
But let me show you 'round, let me take you out
Bet you we could we could have some fun girl


"Nice huh?" He asked.

She turned and looked at him, surprised he had been watching her. She nodded and he turned to look at the sky once more.

"I'm going to miss it," he said.

"You're gonna be gone for a week," Lindsay said. "And it's not like you're going far."

"Oh it's different, believe me."

Lindsay looked at his profile once more as he continued to look at the sky. She then noticed the cross tattoo sticking out of the bottom of his sleeve, and she reached forward pulling the material up to take in the whole cross. She hadn't been one for tattoos, but Adam had one: an eight ball on his back, on his shoulder blade.

"How many tattoos do you have?" She ran her finger around the pattern of the cross.

"A few," he said, and turned to look at her.

She looked at him. She hated to admit it, but she was really going to miss him this week. She had been used to him being around, even when she didn't want him around. He noticed her gazing at him, and he turned to lay on his side facing her.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

She shook her head, and turned to look at the sky once more. Justin wasn't convinced but he wasn't going to push her. The thing that worried her the most is that she was still getting those calls, and before Justin was here so if she ever needed him he was down the street. But for this week, he wouldn't be. Justin lay back on his back, as he reached for her hand and they laid there and watched the sun set.

The sun had completely gone down, and Justin turned to Lindsay once more leaning down to kiss her lips lightly before standing up, and bringing her up with him.

"We better get out of the field before old man Ackerman comes out," he said. "You ready for desert?" He asked as he made his way towards her house.

Lindsay caught up with him, to walk side by side with him up the back porch steps towards the door.

"What did you bring?" She questioned.

He opened the back door and allowed Lindsay to walk in first. He followed her closing the door behind him, as he walked back into the kitchen.

"Sit down in the living room, I'll bring it," he said.

Lindsay walked over to her small living room and sat cross legged onto the couch as she watched Justin prepare their desert in the kitchen. He had been over enough to know where everything was, and was capable of pulling out what he needed.

She watched him as he carefully cut the two pieces from the glass pan and put them on two plates and then scooped a spoon of vanilla ice cream from the container. He put everything away and carried the two plates towards her. She took one of the plates from him as he sat down next to her on the couch.

"What is it?" She asked, noticing the sliced peaches under the ice cream.

"Peach cobbler," he said. "My grandma's recipe."

Lindsay smiled, as she took a spoon cutting into it and eating it. Justin watched her closely for her reaction.

"Wow," she said. "You made this yourself?"

"I wish." he laughed. "No, I attempted, but I almost burnt my house down."

Lindsay laughed, she could totally see it.

"I gave the recipe to Ms. Sarah," he said. "And make her promise not to ever make it again, or give the recipe to anyone."

"It's really good," Lindsay spooned another bite into her mouth.

Justin smiled with satisfaction as he began to eat his too. They enjoyed their desert in silence for a few minutes. Then they continued their evening, talking a little and enjoying each other's company with no interruptions of phone calls.

Around eleven o'clock Justin decided he'd better go if he wanted to get some sleep before he had to be on the road. Lindsay was standing in the door way as Justin stood in front of her.

"You sure you don't want me to walk you home?" She questioned.

He smiled, "I'll manage."

She nodded, and he leaned forward and kissed her lips lightly.

"I'll call you sometime this week" he said.

"Okay," she said. "If you have time."

He stepped up forward once more, lifting her chin slightly, his lips meeting her once more. Lindsay groaned a little, as their tongues moved together in the steamy kiss. She broke the kiss a minute later to catch her breath, and leaned forward, wrapping her arms around his neck and hugging him close. Justin smiled as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I'll call you when I get back ok?" He asked.

She nodded.

He broke the hug and stepped off the steps as Lindsay made her way back into the house. She waved to him once more as he began his journey down the road. When he was out of sight, she made her way back into the house closing and locking her door. She hated to admit it but, she was going to miss him.

~*~


"So, I heard Justin left town this morning," Karen smiled down at Lindsay.

"You busy body," Lindsay smiled. "Word travels to damn fast in this town. But yes, Justin did leave town this morning."

"For how long?"

"A week. He went to visit his Grandma."

"Mmm." Karen nodded. "And what do we plan on doing while boyfriend is away?"

"One, he is not my boyfriend."

"Yet."

"Two," she ignored Karen's interruption, "we plan on cleaning out the attic so it can be used for storage, and finally going into the city to buy a TV, and washing the car-."

"Mowing the lawn, yada yada. Nothing fun basically?"

"Basically."

"Well so much for spreading that gossip," she pouted momentarily. "So then, tell me how the non-relationship relationship is going."

Lindsay snorted.

"Things between us are fine."

"Just fine?"

"Very fine."

Karen sighed.

"You're so protective. C'mon girl, give me all the juicy details."

"There are no juicy details. We like each other. We hang out, we talk, we have fun. That's all. No details."

"Have you done it yet?"

Lindsay paused in her typing and looked up at Karen through her lashes.

"What?"

"Have you done it? Ya know, the dirty deed?"

Lindsay gave her a look.

"That boy is really handsome. I don't know if I'd be able to not-."

"Whoa okay," Lindsay held up her hand. "You can keep the rest of those details to yourself. Now quit bothering me before I start asking you for details on what you were doing last night."

Karen blushed and stepped away from the desk.

"You're too young to hear it child, too young to hear it."

"I think I'll always be too young."

"You want my advice?"

"Not really."

"You and Justin should stop playing house and decide what you want to do. Is this a rebound fling or the real thing?"

Karen headed into her office, leaving Lindsay alone at her desk. Though she hadn't wanted to admit it, she'd been wondering the same thing.

~*~


A few days later things were as usual. Lindsay went to work and came home, killed time by doing some reading, cleaning up around the house, she even went to dinner a couple of times with Karen. Justin had called her that day he left, leaving a message on her house phone that he got there safe and would call later in the week.

Lindsay was now laying across her couch, with the phone to the ear, making her weekly phone call to Ashlynn.

"So, how are things in your hick town?" Ashlynn asked.

Lindsay laughed, "Fine."

Ashlynn still had no idea where she was; just that she was in some small town. Lindsay did not want to risk Adam finding out, even if it was by accident.

"How's Mike?" Lindsay asked.

She could hear the smile in Ashlynn's voice.

"Good, we just celebrated our three year anniversary."

Adam had introduced the girls a couple of months after Lindsay and he had started dating. They completely hit it off and their relationship was born. It was nice because Lindsay had someone to hang out with when partying with Adam's frat brothers.

"Awww, what did you guys do?" Lindsay asked.

"He took me to Ruth Chris."

"Wow, that's ritzy," Lindsay said.

It was one of the most expensive steak restaurants in LA.

"Yeah, and he got us a room at the Magic Castle Hotel in Hollywood."

"Wow, I'm sure you fully repaid him," Lindsay laughed.

"Linds!" Ashlynn squealed in embarrassment.

Lindsay laughed.

"What about you?" Ashlynn asked. "Any men in that small town you call home?"

Lindsay was silent for a minute, she hadn't told her about Justin yet. The silence was heard loud and clear and Ashlynn took it as a sign.

"There are!" She accused.

"Maybe," Lindsay said, her smile brightening.

"I knew it!" Ashlynn laughed.

Lindsay giggled, feeling like a school girl.

"It's different this time Ash," Lindsay began to explain. "He's nothing like Adam, and it's been so nice to have him around."

"Oh no, you're getting that sound in your voice," Ashlynn said.

"Ash, I'm not," Lindsay defended. "We're just seeing each other."

"I bet," she said. "What does he do?"

"Just odds and ends here and there."

"Are you dating a slacker? What's his name?"

"Justin."

"Last name, please?" Ashlynn asked.

Lindsay heard the distinct sound of taping on the other end.

"What are you doing?"

"Googling him," Ashlynn said. "Don't you remember that movie Hitch?"

"Oh Ash, don't," Lindsay said giggling.

"Last name?" Ashlynn asked once again.

"Timberlake," Lindsay said.

"Justin Timberlake, huh? Why does that sound familiar? Are you sure he wasn't arrested for hacking someone to death recently?"

Lindsay giggled, "relatively positive, yes."

She heard the faint sounds of typing again, and everything was silent for a minute before Ashlynn gasped on the other end.

"What?"

"You said Justin Timberlake, right?"

"Yeah."

"Six foot one, curly brown and blonde hair, tattoo of a cross on his arm?"

"Yeah."

"Are you sure you're not forgetting to tell me anything about him?"

"No. He's just a small town boy from around here," Lindsay swung her legs over the side of the couch and sat up. "Why? Did you find something? Was he arrested for hacking someone to death?"

"Oh girl, you are not going to believe this," Ashlynn replied.

"What? Come on, tell me!"

"His name is Justin Timberlake-Hines."

Lindsay's brow furrowed.

"Okay...?"

"Hines. As in the shipping company." She said, as if she should have known.

"You mean the trucks?" A light bulb went off in Lindsay's mind.

"Yes. They do all that trucking, and they own ports in the South and the East too. The military uses them a lot. You didn't recognize the name?"

"He told me Hines was a nickname, not his last name."

"Whoa," Ashlynn sounded.

"What?"

"He's making BANK just being alive."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah. We're talking millions here. He's got two younger brothers, and when the parents kick the bucket, they're gotta split the company. He's the oldest, so he gets 50 percent, and the younger two get 25 a piece. The company's worth more than 700 million."

"Are you serious?" Lindsay questioned again. "Holy shit."

Ashlynn giggled.

"There's a fansite all about how pretty his abs are."

He did have a great stomach, however, Lindsay couldn't focus on that right now.

"Ash..."

"Sorry. I'll get back to research."

There was more typing.

"Hey, his grandma's birthday just passed."

"I know, that's where he went this week. Some big party."

"Yeah, it's in the papers. He'll be back the day after tomorrow?"

"It's really freaky how you know this."

"It's the abs fan girls, they know everything. Apparently he's very private. No one knows where he lives, he just pops in and out of key events like it's nothing."

"This is all just so... He never mentioned any of this to me."

"Well, maybe he just didn't know you that well before."

"But I would have thought he'd learned to trust me by now. I mean, I didn't tell him about Adam in the beginning, but I did eventually."

"That reminds me, Adam came by here the other night."

"Why?"

"Some guy jumped him the parking lot of his complex. Beat him up kind of bad, he had to go to the doctor."

"Wow. Why? Did he rob him or something?"

"No. He just told him something about keeping his hands to himself."

Lindsay's brow furrowed again.

"That's weird."

"I know, that's what I said. Then he started asking me questions about you. If you'd called again or said where you were. I didn't tell him anything ofcourse, and I cleared our ID so he can't look you up again."

"Good. Thanks."

"Ofcourse. So, let's see what else we can find out about Hines."

A few hours later Lindsay collapsed back down on her couch. She'd been in the backyard, washing her car for the past hour or so. At first she was trying to rid her mind of all the thoughts swirling around Justin, but she couldn't help it. She laid down on her side, propping her damp legs up on the arm rest, thinking over all the information she'd learned from Ashlynn's computer.

Justin had admitting he was using some old family money, but he'd never expressed that there was so much of it. His entire life had been chronicled in newspapers, from his birth, to the first time he was caught drinking underage, to the moment he disappeared from the social life.

It was all just so strange. What was he doing here? Hiding out? Why? Why would he keep a secret like this from her? Was that was his friends had been trying to tell her during the party when Justin kept kicking them under the table?

Before she could become completely enveloped in her thoughts there was a knock at her door. Letting out a sigh, she swung her legs back down to the floor and headed toward the door. The curtains were drawn around her large windows, so she couldn't right away see who it was. It was probably Karen, or old man Ackerman wanting her to get her car out of his field. Stepping up to the door, she reaching towards the locks while looking out the peephole and her entire body froze.

Adam.

Without a second thought she pulled her hand from the knob, and ducked down to the floor. She sat down, leaning her back against the wood. The knock sounded again, this time stronger.

"Lindsay? Are you in there?"

She kept quiet, pulling her knees to her chest and her eyes wandered around the house. The curtains were drawn, so he couldn't see her. Maybe if she just pretended like she wasn't home he'd leave. He didn't know her car was in the back yard, it did look like she wasn't around.

The knocking turned into pounding as he shouted her name and she raised a hand to cover her mouth. What was he doing here anyway? How had he found her? What did he want? To drag her back to California with him?

After sitting there for a few minutes she heard heavy steps on the wood of her porch, soon followed by the slamming of a car door. Sitting up on her knees, Lindsay peaked out the corner of one of her windows and saw a red four-door backing out of her drive way. She could make out Adam in the drivers seat, looking tired and annoyed. He glanced at her house once more before putting the car into drive and racing off down the street.

All over she started to shake as she scooted away from the door and into the corner. She couldn't pretend to be gone for forever. She couldn't just pack up and run either. She'd built a life and friendships here. So what was she going to do if he came back?

~*~


The following morning Lindsay called into work sick. She didn't know how long Adam had been in town, and how much he'd managed to find out about her. She didn't want to do anything predictable. However, she hadn't thoroughly thought out her plan, otherwise she would have taken into account the fact that she didn't have any food. Her only options were starvation, or to go to the diner.

Getting into her car, she took the back roads into town, parking her car a block away. As she strolled down the street she kept her eyes keened for the ghost. He was probably lurking somewhere, waiting for the moment to strike. Looking up, she noticed Justin's car parked amongst the other in front of the diner.

She knew he was back in town today, courtesy of his voicemail on her answering machine early that morning. "Hey Pretty City Girl, just letting you know I'm heading back to the country, finally! Why don't you swing by my place when you get off work? I miss you." She didn't answer because she'd begun screening all of her calls since Adam's arrival.

In one fluid motion relief and excitement washed over here. Justin was back, and Justin always made things better. Opening the door to the diner, she stepped in and smiled at Ms. Sarah. She'd called ahead and her take-home lunch was already prepared. She handed Sarah the money and the older woman turned away to get to food while Lindsay's eyes searched the diner for Justin.

She glanced from booth to booth, looking for him, his smile, his eyes. Finally she found him towards the back, but before she was even allowed to be happy about it, she noticed the blonde sitting across from them. Justin was grinning like crazy at her, and the girl loved it. She flipped her long silky hair and reached across the table to pat Justin's arm.

Lindsay saw red, and she turned green with envy. Stomping over to the table, she stopped next to them, her hands on her hips. Their conversation paused and Justin looked up at her. At first he smiled, and then it faded.

"Lindsay? Hey, what are you doing here?"

"I should ask you the same thing," she spat.

"I'm having lunch with-."

"Your new girlfriend. I can see that."

"Girlfriend? What are you-?"

"No, don't," she held up her hand. "Don't bother."

Lindsay turned on her heels, paused to look at the stunned blonde sitting in front of her. She was beautiful, with big blue eyes and full pink lips. She wore heels and a casual white suit. She was tall and sophisticated, and everything Lindsay was not.

Lindsay eyed her for a moment, and then turned to head out of the diner. She picked up her bag from the counter and stormed out the door, Justin hot on her heels.

"Lindsay? Hey, Lindsay come back here."

She ignored his call and she stormed down the street. He jogged up to her and reached out to grab her arm. She spun around and snatched it back.

"What is your problem? I'm just having lunch."

"My problem? What is your problem? Who is she?"

"My-."

"You know what, don't answer that. I don't want to know. And whatever you say, it's probably going to be another lie."

"What?"

"I know all about you, Justin Hines."

He opened his mouth to speak, but then he sighed and dropped his head.

"That's right. I know all about you, and your parents, and the business. Hines isn't a nickname, that's you. You lied to me."

She turned her back, heading towards her car once again.

"Lindsay! Lindsay come back."

"Leave me alone."

She unlocked the door, tossed her things into the passenger seat, and headed towards her house.

Lindsay drove as fast as she could, her vision blurred with tears that she tried to keep at bay. She wasn't going to allow herself to cry over Justin.

She drove home the back way, forgetting that the regular way was quicker and when she pulled up to her house Justin was already there, pacing on her front porch. God, he was persistent. His shinny Mercedes parked in her drive way reminded her of who he really was.

She parked her car next to his in the drive way and got out, grabbing her purse and lunch from the passenger seat, she wasn't even hungry anymore. As soon as she stepped foot out of the car, Justin made his way towards her, walking down the steps.

"Leave Justin," Lindsay warned. "I'm so not in the mood for this."

He shook his head, crossing his arms over his chest.

"No way. I'm not leaving until we talk about this."

Do what I gotta do
Just gotta show you
That I'm the one girl


"Talk about what?" She questioned. "The fact that you have been lying to me ever since I met you?"

Justin stayed quiet as he watched her walk past him, practically shoving him out of the way as she made her way up her porch steps. She stopped at the door, messing with her keys as she tried to find her house key.

"Lindsay please, listen to me a minute," Justin said, turning to face her.

"Why should I?" She asked before turning to face him as he stood at the bottom of the porch steps. "Give me one good reason why I should listen to anything you say."

Justin looked at her a minute. She was right; there was no reason for her to listen to him. He had lied to her from the very beginning, not telling her anything about his past or his ever present future.

"You didn't come out and tell me about yourself at first," Justin defended.

Lindsay stayed quiet a minute, her bottom lip going into her mouth as she gnawed on it. While she was thinking, Justin had begun to make his way into the porch, taking each step slowly, waiting for Lindsay to tell him to stop.

"My secret was nothing compared to yours," Lindsay said after a minute, stopping Justin on the steps.

He looked up at her as she stood in front of her door. She turned and unlocked her door, before turning back to look at him once more.

"You're a freaking millionaire!" Lindsay said, "and you didn't feel the need to share that information with me."

Justin stayed silent, watching her.

"Did you think I was going to take your money?"

Justin gulped, his hands going into the pockets of his jeans.

"I had to find this information from Ashlynn," she said. "You didn't even have the guts to tell me yourself."

"Lindsay, please," he finally spoke. "It's not something I share with everyone, no one in this town knows about me and I like it that way."

"That was the most embarrassing thing that has happened to me," Lindsay informed him, "Having my best friend tell me about the guy I've been seeing. That he's rich by being alive and not doing a damn thing."

Ouch, that hurt. Justin looked down at his feet once more before looking up at her and taking the final step so that he was standing on the actual porch now. They were silent for a minute, still looking at each other. Justin was trying to think of something to say, while Lindsay watched for a response.

"You even have your own fan base," she laughed. "This is ridicules!"

She turned to walk into the house, and Justin stepped closer reaching for her arm before she could get into the house. His hand cupped her elbow, and Lindsay turned quickly to face him.

"I can't do this now," Lindsay said, her lips pursing together. "I'm too hur.t"

Justin's face dropped as he looked at her, there was no skirting around the issue that he had lied to her, and hadn't been truthful. She already had trust issues before, between her parents dying and Adam; this didn't make it any better.

He was about to tell her okay, when he noticed she was looking off in the distance her eyes squinting. Then her mouth dropped open, her eyes got big.

"Oh god," she whimpered.

Justin turned to see a red four-door making it's way down the road, kicking up dirt as he came flying towards them. Justin noticed the man in the driver's seat, his grin almost evil-like as he made his way closer to them. Justin looked at Lindsay, and seeing the fear in her eyes he knew who it was.

"Adam?" He questioned.

She tore her eyes away from the truck and looked at him, nodding.

"He came to the house the other day, and I pretended I wasn't home," she whispered. "He's come to take me away."

Justin shook his head, and looked at the truck getting closer and closer, then turned to Lindsay.

"I want you to go through your house, out the back door, and run as fast as you can to old man Ackerman's," Justin said, looking at Lindsay.

She wasn't looking at him though; she was looking at the truck making its way towards her house.

"Lindsay," he said his voice stern, and she finally looked at him.

"Go to Ackerman's, and tell him there's an emergency," Justin spoke again.

"He could kill you," Lindsay said, looking at Justin her eyes full of fear.

He smirked, "I'll be okay." He held her hand tightly, "Go now, before he gets close."

Lindsay looked at him once more and turned to see Adam's truck park on the side of the road in front of her house. Justin released her hand from his and she made a mad dash into the house, through her kitchen and out the back door and ran as fast as she could towards old man Ackerman's.

Justin watched her leave the back door, it slammed as she rushed out of it and he turned his attention to the tall man getting out of the truck. He had shaggy brown hair, and looked like he hadn't shaved in days. Justin could see the distinct red mark that was around his eye, no doubt leftover from the beating he might have taken from Justin's "helper".

"Where is she?" He asked, his voice raising as he made his way towards the house.

"I think you should go," Justin warned, standing on the top of the porch steps. "She obviously doesn't want to be with you anymore."

Adam laughed.

"Says who, you? Who the fuck are you?"

Justin smirked, "Not someone you want to mess around with."

Adam and Justin said nothing, just looking at each other with dirty looks.

"I see your eye is healing," Justin said a minute later.

Adam's hand went up to his eye self consciously.

"That was you?"

Justin chuckled.

"No," he said coolly. "But, I had a hand in it."

"You asshole, I was in the hospital for two days for the shit you did to me!" Adam raged.

"I didn't do anything," Justin said, defending himself. "But it serves you right, teach you to hit women."

Adam's hands started to turn into fists.

"I need to talk to her," he said sternly.

"No, I don't think you do," Justin said, keeping his cool.

The conversation was going pretty smoothly between them; Justin was doing his best to keep Adam away from the house and keeping him calm until old man Ackerman would get there with his gun collection.

"You don't know anything about us," Adam said. "You have no idea what's going on"

Justin chuckled once more.

"I think I do," he said. "She's not here anyway."

"Her car is here," Adam said turning to look at it then at him.

"So?"

Adam made his way towards the house walking up the steps. Justin stood his ground, standing in front of the doorway.

"Dude, you need to get out of my way," Adam said, trying to shove past him.

Justin moved his hands to Adam's chest, pushing him back and Adam stumbled back down the steps.

"I'm not afraid of hitting you, you know," Adam said.

"Me neither," Justin said.

Lindsay ran as fast as she could towards old man Ackerman's forcing herself not to look back at the house. She knew Adam would be upset, especially since Justin was there. There was no telling what might happen.

Lindsay almost sighed in relief when she saw Ackerman's house come into view. She climbed onto the porch panting as she reached his door and pounded on it.

"Oh god, please be home," she moaned.

Within minutes a burly, rough-looking man opened the door. He was wearing faded, oil-stained blue jean overalls with no shirt underneath, and bulky black boots. He looked like he had been out in the fields all day, his hair a sweaty mess and his arms covered with a thin layer of dirt.

"Lindsay?" He questioned, his voice deep.

Lindsay took a deep breath trying to calm herself down; she could feel the thin layer of sweat forming on her skin.

"Trouble, Justin," she spat out between gasps for breath, pointing to her house.

Ackerman needed no other explanation and he disappeared into the house while Lindsay turned to look back at the house. She couldn't see anything beyond her back porch though. About 20 seconds later Ackerman came out of the house a shot gun in hand.

"C'mon," he said and took off towards her house.

Lindsay ran after him, noticing the pistol in his back pocket.

Justin and Adam were still giving each other dirty looks, Justin still on the porch looking down at Adam who stood in front of him on the dirt.

"Who the fuck are you anyway?" Adam asked once again.

Justin smirked, "Not important."

"Look, whoever you are, I really need to talk to Lindsay," Adam started. "We've got unfinished business."

"No, I think she finished it," Justin replied. "If she wanted to talk to you, she would have called you."

"How do you know she didn't?" Adam asked.

Justin chuckled,"I would know. Believe me."

Adam rolled his eyes.

"What? You monitor her phone calls?"

Justin shook his head and was about to respond when he heard a gun shot, it sounded like it was behind the house. Adam ducked onto the floor after hearing the shot and Justin turned to see Ackerman come stomping through Lindsay's house with a wide eyed Lindsay behind him.

"What the fuck?" Adam said, standing up.

Ackerman came into view, aiming the shot gun at Adam and reached into his back pocket taking the pistol out and handed it to Justin, who took it and pointed it at Adam as well. Adam looked between the two men, and then at Lindsay as she stood behind them.

"I think it's time for you to get on," Ackerman said.

"Listen-," Adam started, but was cut off.

"No sir," Ackerman interrupted. "The young lady made it clear she doesn't want to be around you."

Adam took a step forward.

"Lindsay please," he begged.

Ackerman took a step forward as well and cocked the bullet into place.

"Take one step and I'll blow you away little boy," he almost growled, pointing the gun in Adam's face.

Adam's eyes got big as he looked at the gun in his face, and he held up his hands.

"All right, I'm gone," he said, and backed away.

He walked backward towards his truck, Justin and Ackerman continued to point the guns at him as he looked at Lindsay once more before getting into his truck. He started it and took off like a bat out of hell, disappearing from sight.

Both men waited until Adam was out of sight, before putting down their guns. Lindsay stood in the doorway of her house watching the two men on her porch. They both turned to look back at her, putting their guns down.

"You alright?" Ackerman asked her, reaching out to rub her arm.

Lindsay sighed and nodded.

"Thank you" she said, still a little spooked.

"I think it's safe to say he won't be coming back," Justin said, with a nod.

All three were silent for a minute. Justin then handed Ackerman back his gun, "Let me walk you out," he said, patting the older gentlemen's back.

Ackerman turned to Justin with a nod; they turned and walked around the house heading towards the back yard. Lindsay walked into the house, closing her door and sat herself down on the couch. She hugged her legs to her chest, resting her chin on her knees.

Just because Justin practically saved her life didn't mean she was going to forgive him right away. He still lied to her. She could hear the mumbling of the two men saying goodbye at the back of her house, and then the back door opened up and Justin stepped through, closing it behind him.

Lindsay looked up as he stepped into the house, and he stopped in the kitchen watching her.

"You alright?" he questioned, concern filling his face.

She nodded, but didn't say anything.

"He's not coming back," Justin assured her, as he continued his way towards her. "I think Ackerman gave him a good scare," he chuckled.

Lindsay didn't even crack a smile. Justin sighed and ran a hand through his semi grown back hair and went to sit down next to Lindsay on the couch. He noticed that she inched away a little.

"I guess we should talk about other things now," Justin said.

Lindsay turned to look at him.

"You should be doing the talking," she mumbled.

"You're right," he said. "Well, I'm sure you know everything."

Lindsay turned to look at him.

"My parents are rich, which I told you, and I'm an heir to a family business: a shipping company. I came here because I wanted to be left alone, I didn't want the life like Paris has, it wasn't something I wanted," he began. "My personal life is my own, and my business life is shared with other people."

"Except me," Lindsay said.

Justin sighed, "I made a mistake in not telling you ok? I admit that, but does it really change what we have?"

"How can I trust you?" Lindsay asked. "I haven't seen you in a week, and first time I do you're huddled in the corner with some woman."

Justin rolled his eyes.

"That women was my cousin," he said. "If you would have let me answer your question you would have known that."

Lindsay looked at him.

"Your cousin?" She questioned.

He nodded.

"She runs the business down South," he said. "She wasn't able to make it to the party, so she came by to update me."

Duh. God. Now she felt like a complete idiot. Losing it in front of his cousin like that, she must've thought she was a complete idiot.

"Speaking of my cousin, I should probably call her," he said.

Then he got up, pulling the phone from his jean pocket. He walked into the kitchen, as Lindsay stayed there on the couch, looking at him as he talked into the phone. She felt like an idiot. Like one of those jealous girlfriends, when their man so much as looked at another women in their presence.

She turned and looked out her window as the sun had started to make its way West. The summer days they had shared together were coming to an end, and Lindsay didn't know if they would be together to see the rest. She sighed once more and turned to rest her chin on her knees, watching Justin as he finished up his conversation. A few minutes later Justin came back into the living room and sat back down on the couch once again.

"Is she upset?" Lindsay asked looking at him.

He shook his head, "Just confused."

They remained silent once again, both trying to think of something to say to the other.

"Listen, City Girl," he said, he reached out and rest a hand on her shoulder.

Lindsay turned to look at him. Justin took it as a good sign that she didn't seem upset over the nickname he made for her.

"I shouldn't have lied to you. You're absolutely right about that, and I'm sorry. But what I do for a living, and what my parents do, doesn't change who I am. I'm still the same guy that lays in the field and watches the stars, and runs from the geese in the front yard, and nearly burned his house down making peach cobbler."

Lindsay giggled before she could help it and he reached up to rub her cheek.

"And that loves kissing you, because sometimes you're just too beautiful not to. And I want you to know that, and see all that. And I want you to see my penthouse in New York, and our ranch in Georgia, and all the other things that are part of who I am. In a way I'm glad that you found out, even though I should have told you, because now you can see all of me."

Lindsay stood from the sofa, and crossed her arms over her chest as she looked out the front windows.

"I don't know Justin, this changes everything. Every time I look at your house, or your car I'm reminded that you were hiding yourself from me. Hiding, like I was some gossip columnist for the local paper. How am I supposed to see you everyday and not think of that?

Speaking of seeing him everyday, Justin stood from the sofa as well and moved behind her.

"Lindsay, summer is almost over, and with the new season comes new commitments on my part," he explained. "Things that I have to do, for my parents."

Lindsay turned to look at him, her eyes narrowing.

"So is this it then?" Lindsay asked. "It was just something to kill time in the summer?"

He sighed, stuffing his hands into his pockets. She watched him, fearing the worst.

"It's not something I do for summer, but with business picking up I won't be here as much. I've got meetings and conferences and..."

Lindsay's eyes lowered sadly. So this was the end of them then. It had all been fun and games, and now he was going back to his real world. Justin's hand gently toying with one of hers pulled her from her thoughts and she looked up at him.

"But I'm hoping that you'll want to visit the city alot."

"Why?" She asked softly. "You're going back to your glamorous life, what do you need me around for?"

The summer's over for the both of us
But that doesn't mean we should give up on love
You're the one I've been thinking of
And I knew the day I met you you'd be the one


Justin swallowed and chewed on his cheek for a moment. Then he shook his head.

"Because I want you around. Because the entire time I was gone I couldn't get you out of my head. This wasn't just some summer fling City Girl, you know that. So don't give up on us."

"Why?" She asked.

Lindsay put her hands on her hips and stepped closer to him, their faces inches apart.

"You're sorry, and you know you did the wrong thing, but give me one good reason why I should forgive you. Tell me why."

"Why?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Because."

"That's not a reason."

She was getting upset again, he could tell. He had to tell her something, something meaningful, something that was true.

"Because," his eyes lowered. "I think I love you."

Lindsay watched him a moment, not wanting to believe or even listen to his words. She closed her eyes and let out a sigh, but before she could open them and attempt to speak again he covered her mouth with his. Silencing any protest she might have had with a kiss, his arms wrapping around her tightly. He kissed her insane, breaking down all the walls of anger she'd built toward him. When he pulled away, he still held her close, listening to her gentle panting as she tried to catch her breathe.

"I love you."

He brushed away the water that slowly fell from her eyes. Lindsay was frozen in time, she couldn't even breath. She'd never dreamt she'd hear those words from anyone again, let alone Justin. But they sounded good, and so different from when Adam would mutter them to her. They were sincere, and full of promise and meaning.

As his hands smoothed up and down her back, she lifted her eyes, staring at him for a moment. Then she turned her head towards the window, looking out over the field across the street from her home as she hugged him frame closer.

I can't wait to fall in love with you
You can't wait to fall in love with me
This just can't be summer love, you'll see
This just can't be summer love


-*-The End-*-
Chapter End Notes:
Spacey1141@hotmail.com - Traci
jcsdirtylilchica@hotmail.com - Coffee


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: southernj lyricsj