Her legs bounced excitedly against the concrete floor.  She tried to sit still, but it just wasn't working.  Only five minutes had passed by as she waited in the dressing room, but hours had passed by since she stepped on the plane to the west coast.  She hadn't seen her best friend for three months now and in her book, three months was way too long.

   The door flew open as the five men of Nsync walked in the dressing room.  Kate made a bee-line to JC.  She said a quick hello to the other four before jumping on him, nearly knocking him to the ground.

   "Well hello.  I missed you too."  He hugged her tight.  JC loved the times when Kate joined him on tour.  She always brought a feeling of home with her.

   "How come I didn't get that kind of greeting?"

   Kate finally turned from JC to see the pout on Chris' face.  "Next time, I'll be sure to jump on you instead of my best friend of sixteen years."

   He gave her a satisfied grin and went along his way.  "Seventeen years in a few days."  JC spoke up.

   "I know.  I'm so excited!  But I think my mom is a little sad about it all."

   "Why, because I'm taking her baby girl away from her on her birthday?"  He led them to the craft service table.

   She quickly scanned the buffet and ran a list through her mind of the foods that she wanted.  "Yeah...but she has to understand that it's not my fault my birthday falls within the spring break dates.  Spring break is Kate and Josh time; always has been."

   "That it is."  He half hugged her with his free arm, hoping that she knew how much it meant to him to have her on tour with him.

   "Hey Kate," Justin called out.  "Did JC tell you we ordered stripers for your birthday?"

   "Oh, darn.  And I was all prepared to strip for y'all, but if you want professionals to do it, then that's fine by me."  Kate played along with his game.

   Joey jumped into the conversation.  "You could always practice right now for us."

   "You guys know she's underage, right?"  JC popped their bubble.

   "Like that would stop you from doing anything."  Lance mumbled.

   "Huh?"

   "Oh, nothing."          

   As usual, Kate stood off to the side of the stage in an area where she wasn't in the way of the production.  She looked out at the crowd of screaming girls.  She swore the crowd grew bigger and louder each time she came.  To her, she didn't see what all the fuss was about, except for the fact that they were exceptional musicians.  JC would always be Josh to her; the boy she had grown up with and the other four would always be Josh's friends to her.

   It was around three o'clock that morning by the time the tour bus pulled up to the next city.  Kate rested peacefully in JC's bunk while the guys played video games in the back room.

   "Does Kate need to check into a room tonight?"  Lonnie, one of their security guards poked his head in the door.

   "No."  He quickly answered, trying not to let his character die in the video game.

   Justin stared at JC with a million and one questions running through his head.  Even though he knew it was none of his business, JC was one of his best friends and he just had to have his questions answered.  "How is it that Kate's parents are okay with her sharing a bed with you, let alone a room?"

   "I don't know.  I guess they just know that there's nothing going on."  JC gave a distracted response.

   "But she's like five years younger than you."

   He set the controls down, realizing that his questions were not going to cease.  "What's going on, J?"

   "What do you mean?"

   "You've known Kate just as long as you've known me.  Why all the sudden questions now?"

   Justin thought about it for a second.  "I don't know."

   Kate stretched out on the bed as soon as they got into the hotel room.  "I'm sorry I'm so tired.  I just have to get used to the time change."

   JC grunted an answer as he dug frivolously through his suite case.

   "Whatcha looking for there, bud?"

   He didn't answer her; he just continued to dig until a red plastic bag emerged in his hands.  "This is for you."

   Hesitantly, Kate opened the bag and pulled out its contents.  "Joshua, you didn't have to do this for me."  She clung tight to the Chanel sunglasses and Texas A&M hoodie - which was her favorite college.

   "I know I didn't have to, but I wanted to.  I knew you'd like it, so I got it for you."  He sat in front of her, enjoying the happiness on her face.

   "Well, thank you."  She leaned forward to hug him and placed a soft kiss upon his cheek.

   He softly reached out to hold her hand, which brought her attention to him.  "Kate, what happened that night you were supposed to stay at you boyfriend's house?"

   Her eyes quickly shot down, not wanting him to read her expression.  "I should probably get ready for bed."

   She ventured into the bathroom, but he followed close behind.  "Please don't be afraid to talk to me."

   "I'm not afraid."  Kate said, just above a whisper.  JC could hear the tears in her voice.

   "Then what is it?"

   She took a moment to gather her composure before speaking.  "I'm ashamed."

   JC let her continue talking, despite the drawn out pause.

   "I'm tired of being the school slut.  The easy girl.  I want a guy to want to be with me because he genuinely likes me.  I wish he would like my personality and not lie about liking it."  She gave up on fighting back the tears, even though the quiver in her voice now made it a bit more difficult to understand her words.  "All they want to do is get into my pants because they know they can.  I guess I'm just that predictable and that stupid."

   "You're not stupid."

   "But I am.  Everyone in school knows that all they have to do is get me drunk and its fair game.  Hell, everyone in college knows that."  She let the tears run down her face.

   JC stood behind her and wiped away the tears using her reflection in the mirror for guidance.  "Just be yourself, Kate.  Know that it's okay to say no."  She nodded.  "But I guess I can't really preach on this topic."

   She laughed lightly through the remaining tears.  "That's true.  And it's something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

   "Oh really?"  He led her to bed.

   "Yes, Josh Chasez.  You are far too hot to be spreading your seed in random places."

   "I use a condom every time."  He protested.

   She sat up with her arms crossed in a very 'know all' position.  "Condoms can break.  Before you know it, you're going to have little Joshes and Joshas running around.  Then the hoes that you fucked will be calling you up wanting child support.  Not to mention the media, they will have a field day and your fans-"

   "You can shut up now."  He cut her off and pulled her to lie down.

   "What time are we leaving tomorrow?"

   "Early."  JC moaned.  Without looking up, Kate knew that his eyes were closed and his body was beginning to shut itself down.

   "How early is early?"

   "Five."  He rolled on to his side to see her glaring at him.  He reached out to tickle her sides and she squirmed at the touch.

   She tried to swat his hands away and move her body to the edge of the bed.  "Josh!  You're going to make me pee my pants!"  She screamed in between fits of laughter.

   "Now go to sleep."  He finally stopped.

   "I would sleep if some would keep their hands off me."

   JC nuzzled his nose in her hair.  "You make it sound so dirty."

   Kate ran her hand down the back of his neck and with great intensity looked into his eyes.  "I am not about to support your sex addiction, Josh."

   He laughed lightly - a laugh that was filled with tiredness - and rolled over to go to sleep.

 

   The morning air was cold as it ran through the trees.  The neighbor's wind chimes would cling every now and then, adding peace to the scene.  Wrapped up in a down blanket, Kate used her hot cup of coffee to warm her insides and hands.

   She looked out at the back yard, suddenly realizing how much things have changed.  In the back left corner, a garden for various vegetables grew where the sand box used to sit.  The swing set had been taken out years ago along with the trampoline.  Now garden gnomes and fountains took their place.  Even though the objects were no long there, Kate could still envision every detail of her childhood spent out there.

   "What the fuck are you doing out here?"

   Torn from her thoughts, she smiled to herself at the familiar voice.  She watched him come into view and sit down in the chair next to her.  He shivered in the cold and held his arms tight around his body.

   "What are you doing out here?"  He asked again.

   She took at moment to gather the thoughts that he had interrupted.  "I just needed to get out, I guess.  I didn't really sleep well last night."

   "How come?"

   "I don't know."  She shrugged.  "Why are you awake?  I don't think I've ever seen you willing wake up this early."

   "Yeah, I know."  He laughed.  "I guess I couldn't sleep either.  I was actually hoping you would climb through my window last night."

   She listened closely to the emotions that leaked through his admission.  "We've both grown up, Josh."

   "You have.  I'm not so sure about myself.  But every time I look at you, I just can't believe how much you've changed."  He stared deep into her eyes, sending chills through her body.

   She shyly shook her head.  "I'm still me.  You just forgot who I was because you haven't seen me in so long."

   He continued to stare at her, despite the fact that she wasn't looking at him anymore.  He studied her features closely, trying to convince himself that she really hadn't changed.  "If you say so."

   She chose not to respond, instead, she handed him the hot mug and he gratefully took a sip.  She draped the blanket over his legs and moved closer toward his body heat.

   "Are you dating anyone, Kate?"  He noticed the shocked expression on her face.  "I'm not trying to pry or anything.  It's just that, you never mentioned a guy in your life."

   "No, I'm not seeing in anyone."  She now noticed his shocked expression.  "Don't look too surprised there."

   "I-I just..."  After stumbling over his words, he took a moment to regroup himself.  "I just assumed that you had someone serious or at least dating around."

   "I'm not in high school anymore.  I'd like to think I've matured in that aspect."  She thought about the words she had just said.  "And there's also the fact that I have a kid."

   "What do you mean?"

   "No guy wants to get involved with a single mother.  It's just not worth trying sometimes."

   JC left it at that.  He threw his arm over her should and with ease, her body sank into his.  It was at that point that he was finally able to relax and enjoy the morning.

   "Who's Kendra's father?"  He softly spoke.  "Is it me?"

   "No.  Why would you think that?"

   "How about the fact that she's six and we broke up six years ago.  That's just a start."      

   She aimlessly ran her hand up and down his thigh.  "He's no one you know."

   "Kate..."

   "He's no one you know."  She repeated.  "It was just a guy who came into my life right after we broke up."

   "Does he pay child support?"  She shook her head.  It took all his might to not want to press her for more questions about this guy that he now wanted to beat up.  Judging by the sound of her voice, he knew it would be best to leave the topic alone for now.

   Kate heard small noises in the house.  She glanced at her watch and knew that everyone was probably beginning to wake up.  Within a few seconds, Kendra appeared in front of them.

   "Good morning."

   "Morning."  The little one grumbled.  "I'm hungry."

   "Ok...you know that's not how we ask for something."  She lectured.

   Kendra twisted the corner of her shirt.  "Will you fix blueberry pancakes, please?"

   "Have your aunt Maddy make pancakes.  I have to go run some errands." 

   "I wanna go with."

   "I know, but you have to stay here."  She pinched her pouted lips.  "You'll be fine, Bug.  Now go tell Maddy to make pancakes."

   JC kept his eyes on Kendra as she scurried back inside the house.  He got a warm feeling in his stomach when he watched Kate be a mother.

   "I better get going."  She stood up and gathered the blanket together.  "Will you be here when I get back?"

   He followed her back into the warmth of the house.  "Probably not.  I'll stay for a few hours, but there are a few guys that I haven't seen in awhile, so we're gonna get some lunch or something.  But I know that Heather and Ty said that they'd be by later today."

   "Okay."  She responded with a peppy grin.  She reached up to kiss him softly on the cheek.  "I will see you later then."

   "Bye."  He ventured into the kitchen where he found the morning paper.  He took a seat at the island, read through the paper, and listened as the noise level in the house grew.

   About twenty minutes after Kate left, Madison was the first one downstairs.  She immediately began grabbing the dishes and ingredients she needed for breakfast.

   "It's certainly strange to see you here."  She greeted him.

   "It's strange to be here, but it's nice."

   "Is Katie still sleeping?"

   "No, she said she had to run some errands."  He folded up the newspaper and put it back on the breakfast table.  "Maddy..."

   "Joshy..."

   "Who is Kendra's father?"

   Madison slowed down the process for breakfast and leaned on the island in front of him.  "Honestly, Josh, I don't know."

   He nodded.

   "I wouldn't worry about it though.  I think that she probably had a one-night stand and is too embarrassed to admit it.  Plus, think about how Kendra would feel if that were the truth."  She looked at the concern that was still painted on his face.  She placed her hand on his arm, "You've got to trust her on this one, Josh.  That's the only way that we've gotten over it.  And really, she is a good mother, so I don't think there's any point to be worried about it." 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers bestfriendj tour presync postsync cheaterjc