Jess had barely gotten back into her book when JC came bounding back into their suite's living room, freshly showered and dressed.  "How do I look?" he grinned while doing a little spin for her.

            "Whoa, what happened to the tired guy who went into your room five minutes ago?"

            JC giggled.  "He got a call to go out with some friends, so he took them up on it."

            "Really."  She nodded slowly, "Huh.  You're not usually very concerned about what I think of your appearance," her eyes grew wide, "You're meeting a girl, aren't you?"

            JC fiddled with his shirt collar.  "Actually, I prefer the term ‘woman'," he ducked his head down. "Don't wait up!" he called as he quickly dodged past her.

            She had nearly caught him when he opened the door.  "Joshua!  You get back here, I need details!" 

            "Sorry, gotta go!" He called over his shoulder as he bolted out.

            JC and Justin almost collided in the hallway.  "What's up with him?" Justin asked as he came in.

            "Date," Jess shrugged.  "It's about time too."

            Justin appeared to be digesting that information.  "Huh," he nodded as he looked around the room.  "So, what did you want to talk about?"

            "Nice to see you too, Justin.  I'm fine, thanks for asking."  She rolled her eyes, knowing that he had no idea why she was being sarcastic with him.  Jess grabbed his hand and led him out to the balcony.  "Come on, let's sit out here and pretend we can see the stars tonight."

            Once they were both settled in the deck chairs, Justin looked Jess in the eyes.  "So...?"

            "So," she smiled as she kicked her feet up on the patio table and took a deep breath. "Look, I just want to make sure you're OK.  You were really upset last night and you got me worried."

            "Wait a minute," Justin laughed nervously, "shouldn't I be asking you that question?"

            "Justin," she met his eyes.  "Don't bother trying the whole answering a question with a question thing-I am the master at changing the topic.  Give it up.  I know you were upset.  Talk to me."

            "I already talked with Joey," he replied with a shrug, avoiding eye contact.   "I'm fine."

            "Justin," she warned him with her tone, "Talk.  To.  Me."        

            He blew out a frustrated breath.  "Fine.  I was upset.  Hearing that you were nearly date raped really hit me hard.  It made me so angry that some guy would try to take advantage of someone I love.  I started to wonder what kind of man could do that to a woman, and then I started to wonder about me and whether I would know if I was pressuring a girl or not."

            She reached out and patted his arm, "Oh, honey.  What he did to me wasn't pressuring me.  He was trying to dominate me, show that he had power.  That's why he resorted to beating me up when I wouldn't do what he wanted."

            "But how do I know the difference?" he asked.  "Where's the line between him and me?"

            "The fact that you are asking the question shows that you are not him.  He didn't care how he treated me.  You are not him, Justin, but if you're ever unsure, stop and ask. Slowing things down and making sure you're on the same page is probably the best way to go."

            Justin smiled. "You know, that's pretty much what Joey said."  Then he laughed, " Except Joey also gave me guy tips too, you know, like how to tell if a girl is faking it-not that she'd ever have to fake it with me, but you know, it's always good to know."

            Jess reached across the table and pushed his shoulder.  "Justin, my friend, that is what is known as too much information," she chuckled.   "So, you're really OK?"

            He nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine now.  But thanks for caring enough to beat-I mean ask me about it."  He laughed.

            "You're such a brat," she reached over to hug him, "But you know I love you."

            "I do," he sat up straight and smugly smiled.  "And because I love you too, I have a question to ask you now."

            "Sure, fire when ready," she laughed.

            "Have you read Chris's note yet?" he ducked, not sure of what her reaction would be.     

            Her first thought was to ask how Justin knew about the note and her evasion tactics, but she knew how close Chris and Justin were and realized she already knew how Justin knew.  Instead, Jess blew out a breath that lifted her hair off her forehead and replied quietly, "No."

            "Come here, girl," Justin pulled her into his lap.  "So, you haven't read it."  Jess shook her head.  "Then I have another question for you; why the hell not?"

            She laid her head on Justin's shoulder.  "Because I'm scared.  Because I don't know where things with Chris are going or where I want them to go and I don't know what Chris wants from me or if he wants anything from me and...I'm just scared!"

            Justin shook his head.  "Babe, you don't have to be scared.  You know Chris well enough to know that he wouldn't lie to you."

            "Sure, J, but just because Chris thinks the letter has good stuff in it, that doesn't mean that I'll agree."

            "True, but if you don't read it, you'll never know and it's going to eat away at you and drive you crazy--just read it!"

            "OK, fine.  I'll read it.  Are you happy now?"

            Justin shrugged.  "Meh, I suppose so.  Do you want me to stay here for moral support?"

            "What?  You want me to read it now?"  Jess stalled.

            He rolled his eyes, "Well, duh!  You need to stop procrastinating and just read it."

Jess thought about it for a minute.  "Do you think I need moral support?"

            "Probably not, but you do need someone to make sure you don't chicken out again."

"Fine, Justin, you can stay.  Come inside and watch television."  Jess left Justin to his own devices and went into her room.  She stood just inside the doorway, willing herself to pull out the letter.  She cracked her knuckles, took a deep breath and sat down on her bed.  She reached under her pillow and slowly slid the envelope out.

Jess held the envelope in her hands.  She didn't want to do this, but there was no way to put it off any longer.  Besides, Justin would totally know if she lied about it.

  After taking another deep breath, she slowly slid one finger beneath the flap and lifted it up.  One more deep breath was required before she could make herself pull the paper out.  And still another breath before the letter was open, facing her.  All she had to do now was to focus and read.

 

Jessamyn,

Sweetheart, you know me well enough to know that when it comes to expressing myself, I do it best with music.  If you haven't already done so, give Pat's paw a squeeze. 

 

Jess looked up from the letter and over to her bear.  She reached out to squeeze his paw and was surprised when what she heard wasn't a Build-A-Bear sound.  It was something completely different.  She listened to the acoustic guitar and piano start, and gasped when she heard Chris start singing.  She looked back down and followed the words in his letter.

I don't know how

I don't know why

But girl it seems

You've touched my life

You're in my dreams

You're in my heart

I'm not myself

When we're apart

 

Something strange has come over me

A raging wind across my seas

And girl you know that your eyes are to blame

And what am I supposed to do

If I can't get over you

I come to find that you don't feel the same

 

Cause I'm fallin' fallin'

Girl I'm fallin' for you

And I pray your fallin' too

I've been fallin' fallin'

Ever since the moment I laid eyes on you

 

I lose my step

I lose my ground

I lose my self

When you're around

I'm holding on for my life

To keep from drowning in your eyes

Girl what have you done to me

To make me fall so desperately

To think that I don't even know your name

No, no

How am I supposed to live

If I can't get over this

You decide you don't feel the same

 

Cause I'm fallin' fallin'

Girl I'm fallin' for you

And I pray your fallin' too

I've been fallin' fallin'

 

Will you stay or will you go

Heaven knows what my future holds

Questions linger on my mind

From daybreak to dark of night

I'm fallin' I don't know what's come over me

 

Can't you see that I'm fallin' fallin'

Girl I'm fallin' for you

And I pray your fallin' too

I've been fallin' fallin'

Ever since the moment I laid eyes on you

 

The music stopped playing and Jess wiped a couple of tears from her eyes.  She realized that Chris must have prepared the song for her long before her date.  She was a little overwhelmed by the feelings that his planning implied. 

Jess continued to read the letter:

 

I hope you know when I sing this, I'm thinking of you each and every time.  I know we've only had one official date (or six crammed together if you count them my way), but with you everything feels so right.  You've become such an important part of my life and I trust one day, hopefully soon, you'll be ready for me to let you know exactly how I feel.

Always yours,

 Christopher

 

 

Jess didn't know what to think.  She sat there gazing at her ceiling for quite awhile before she heard a quiet tap at her door.

            "Jess?"  Justin whispered.  "Are you OK, honey?"

            She debated playing ‘possum, but knew that Justin wouldn't fall for it.  "Come in, J," she called.  When the door opened, she gestured to the open letter lying on the bed.  "Now you can tell him I've read it."

            Justin sighed and leaned against the door frame.  "It's not like that Jess, Chris didn't ask me to check up on you--"

"He didn't?"  She glared at him archly, daring him to try to lie to her.

"Well, not in so many words, no.  He might have asked me how to get you to read it or something like that, but he didn't ask me to ask you to read it."

Jess pulled her lips together in an attempt not to frown at him. "Hm."

Justin took a couple of steps closer to the bed as he ran his hand through his hair.  

"Do you want to talk about it?"  He asked as he perched himself on the edge of the bed closest to her.

            She shook her head, "Nope, not really."      

            "Are you sure, Jess?  I mean, even if you want to tell me off for bugging you to read it, feel free to lay into me, OK?"

            Jess finally met his gaze and gave him a small, reluctant smile.  "I'm sure, J, but thanks for offering."

            "OK, well then would you like to watch a movie or something?"

            "I'd love to hang out, Justin, but I have to do this whole photo thing again tomorrow and I'm really tired.  Maybe another time?"

            "Sure," he nodded as he stood up.  "I'll hold you to it."

            Jess laughed.  "I wouldn't have it any other way, Justin."

            He leaned over and kissed her cheek.  "Me neither," he smiled before he ruffled her hair and left the room.

Chapter End Notes:
"Falling" lyrics by Ira Steven Schickman, Bryan Poppin, Gary Brown and Chris Kirkpatrick

 


Incomplete
PopDiva is the author of 17 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked First Comes Love also liked 302 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: celebritysync jc chris