Jess's transfer from her house to Chris's family's house went smoothly. All of the turmoil of the day and its emotions had drained Jess out, so after dinner, Chris's mom sent her up to bed. The room she was given was the one that Chris used on those rare occasions when he was actually home. She felt very comfortable there and fell asleep with the scent of Chris all around her.
Jess slept soundly. She woke only when Chris's youngest sister Taylor shook her shoulder the next morning.
"Jess. Wake up, Jess. Phone's for you."
"Thanks, Tay." Jess stretched and coughed, hoping to make her voice sound more awake than she was. "Hello?"
"Good morning, Jessamyn!"
"Ugh! Chris! How can you sound so chipper in the morning? And don't call me that!"
"I'm always chipper, you know that! And why can't I call you Jessamyn? It's your name and I like it."
Jess sighed. She knew there was no way she was going to win this one. "So, what's up, Chris?" She could tell he was up to something just by the mischievous sound of his voice.
"Nothin'. Just wanted to see how you were doing."
"Uh-huh. Sure Chris. I know you better than that, boy."
"Yeah, maybe you do. OK. I'm actually calling to let you know we'll be in town tonight. We're picking you up and taking you out tonight. How does that sound?"
"Sounds suspicious. Last night you said you wouldn't be home for two weeks."
"Yeah, well, I told you I'm no good with my schedule. Actually, we worked in a few changes. Hey, let me pass you to Lance. He'll give you the details. Be sure to save me a dance tonight."
"Hey Babe!"
"Hi, Lance. What are you guys up to now?"
"Well, today's a travel day. We had a couple days between concerts and decided to fly home to be with you. We'll fly out in time for our next show. Chris told you we're taking you out tonight, right?"
"Yep, but that's all he told me."
"Well, tonight, it's all about you, OK? We're going to go out and just have fun. Tomorrow we've got a press conference about you."
"You're kidding, right? Please. I am so not newsworthy."
"Jess, like it or not, you're news. It's going to be a simple conference. We're just going to tell the media that we stand by our decision to cast you in the role as JC's girlfriend in the video. Then, if you'd like, you can address the media as well. After that, we're on our way out of town, but Oprah wants to have us on the show. She wants to fly you out for the taping and interview us on satellite."
Jess cracked up. "Lance, you are so funny! You totally had me up until you mentioned Oprah!"
"Jess, I'm not joking. Here talk to JC. See if you'll believe him."
JC confirmed what Lance had told Jess. She couldn't believe it. "But, Josh, why would Oprah want to talk to me about this?"
"Why not? You said yesterday that you wanted people to realize that the moulds society shows us are unrealistic. Here's your chance, Babygirl."
She sighed. "You're right, Josh. I'll do it. Thanks for being such a supportive friend, Josh. You know I love you, right?"
"Of course! And I love you too. You know how proud I was to have you play my girl in the video, right? I mean, even if you won't date me in real life, it was nice to pretend for a bit."
"Josh, you're such a dork!"
"Yeah, I know. And I know you are interested in someone else."
"If you dare say anything to him, I'll have you kneecapped. Don't think I won't."
"I know you all too well, honey, don't worry about that happening."

The guys arrived back at home in time to get ready to go out for the evening.
Chris knocked softly on his bedroom door. When he didn't get a response, he opened the door a crack and peeked in. He saw Jess laying on his bed, wearing one of his favourite sweatshirts. Determined not to disturb her rest, he quietly entered the room and went over to the closet to find the clothes he wanted to wear that evening. He gathered everything he needed and paused by the end of the bed. He looked down at Jess sleeping so peacefully. He couldn't resist the urge to sit down beside her and brush her hair off her face. Jess stirred slightly and opened her eyes.
She looked straight into Chris's brown eyes and smiled. She sat up and hugged him. "Hey, when did you get here?"
He squeezed her and gave her a kiss on the forehead. "We got in an hour or so ago. I just got home though."
Jess looked over at the bedside clock. "Yikes! I'd better get a move on if I want to be ready to go out with you guys."
"You have some more time, why don't you catch a few more minutes of rest? I'll wake you on my way by from the bathroom."
She looked at him accusingly. "What do you mean on your way from the bathroom? This is your room. The bathroom is in here. I'm not kicking you out of your room on one of the few days you're actually home to use it. Go ahead and use your own shower."
"OK. I'll grab a quick shower and wake you up when I'm done. Go back to sleep."
"You don't have to tell me twice," she replied as she rolled onto her side and snuggled down into his pillow.

Jess woke up to the feeling of water dripping on her face. Chris was shaking his wet hair over top of her.
"Time to get up, Sunshine!" he greeted her.
Jess grabbed the pillow from underneath her and swung it at him. Chris caught the pillow and pulled. Jess was too stubborn to let go, so he pulled her up to a sitting position. That's when Jess noticed that Chris was only wearing a towel.
"Chris!" she cried as she covered her eyes.
"What?" he asked innocently.
"You're not wearing any clothes!"
He smirked, "Yeah, so? Wait, are you blushing?"
"No!" she blurted, trying to hide her face in a pillow.
"You are too blushing! You're just too cute! It's not like you haven't seen me like this when you've been on tour with us." He laughed.
"Yeah, but that's totally different. When you guys are all walking around in towels, it's not like I'm the only one there. You know what? Just put something on, OK?"
"OK, don't worry. I'll be fully dressed and out of here when you get out of the shower."
"Good," she stated. Jess tried to avoid looking at Chris as she collected the items she needed for her shower and the clothes she wanted to wear. By the time she finished her shower and got dressed, Chris was indeed gone. She spent a bit of time doing her hair and make up. She liked to look good when she went out with the guys.
Jess did a spin in front of the mirror before going downstairs. She took in her long brown hair that was pulled up into a French twist with a few tendrils strategically placed around her face, her dark red sleeveless shirt and black Capris. She nodded confidently at her reflection, popped in some sparkly, dangly earrings and grabbed her strappy heels before heading out the door.
She heard Chris downstairs talking with his mom and sisters. She found them in the family room. Chris stood as soon as she came in the room.
"Wow! You look fantastic!"
She felt herself blush for the second time that day, "um, thanks."
"Ready to go?" he asked, extending his hand to her.
Jess placed her hand in his and nodded. They walked together to his car. He opened the passenger door for her and kissed her forehead before she slipped into the seat. Jess swallowed hard. She was getting some definite vibes from Chris here. He was making her nervous.
Chris got in and started the car.
"So, where are we going?" she asked him.
"We're meeting the guys at the usual place for dinner, and then we're hitting some new club for some dancing."
She laughed, "What, you five don't get enough dancing on the road?"
"Well, sure, we dance on the road, but rarely with pretty girls."
"Oh. That explains it all. You guys are taking me out so you can pick up chicks. I see how it's going to be," she teased.
"Yeah, well, you're a babe-magnet. That's why we all hang around with you." Chris looked impishly at her out of the corner of his eye.
"Well, you know me, I'm happy to help you five out." She grinned back.
They drove on in silence for a few minutes, but it was a comfortable silence.
"You know, Chris, this is weird. Usually I go everywhere with JC. It's a nice change to be going somewhere with you."
He smiled at her. "Well, get used to it." He reached across and squeezed her hand. "JC's not your only friend, you know."
"Yeah, I know." She smiled at him.
Chris parked the car and ran around to get Jess's door. He offered his elbow to her and led her in to the restaurant. The other guys were all ready at the table. They all swarmed Jess as she approached the table. She laughed as she was wrapped in four different sets of arms, one after the other.
After all of the guys had been hugged, they sat down. Chris held out Jess's chair for her and took the seat next to her. She was enjoying the attention he was giving her, but it felt a little surreal.
They placed their orders and while they were waiting, they talked about anything and everything except for the whole thing about Jess being in their video. They were seated in a back corner of the restaurant, but a few fans still found them back there. Even with security, it wasn't always possible for the guys to be out and just be themselves. Not that they minded signing a few autographs, they just wanted to enjoy the evening with their friend.
Throughout the meal, JC kept Jess's wine glass full. She didn't normally drink a lot, but she wasn't paying attention to her glass. She was on her third glass when Chris reached over and put his hand on top of hers.
"Jess, give me that." He leaned across her. "Chasez, knock it off. Do you want the girl to have a hangover tomorrow?"
JC was snickering.
Jess's jaw dropped. She turned quickly to look at the culprit. "Josh! You brat! How many times have you filled that on me?" She elbowed him and pulled her seat closer to Chris's.
"Aww, Jessie," JC whined. "I'm just funning you. I wouldn't have let you get too drunk."
Jess stuck her tongue out at him.
"Hey, Babygirl, don't stick that out unless you intend to use it," JC grinned at her.
Jess looked at Chris. "Would you excuse me for a minute?" Chris nodded. She got out of her chair and stepped behind JC. She smacked the back of his head and sat back down.
Joey, Lance, Justin and Chris were laughing hysterically.
"Ow!" JC rubbed the back of his head. "Man! I forgot how good you were at that."
"Well, see that you remember it." She told him.
The rest of their meal was without incident. They paid their cheque and went out to the cars. Chris again offered his arm to Jess. She liked how he was treating her. He opened her car door and went around to drive. JC hopped in the back seat.
"Hey Chris, can I come with you two? I came with Justin, but he's going to pick up a couple of people on the way to the club."
Chris rolled his eyes, "Sure, Jace, hop in." He said sarcastically.
They drove to the club. JC talked the whole way. Jess and Chris stole looks at each other when they thought the other wasn't looking.
When they got to the club, JC hopped out of the backseat and opened Jess's door. He offered his arm to her. Chris glared at him. When they got to the driver's side of the car, Jess reached out for Chris's arm too. It was a huge boost to her ego to be going into the club with both of these handsome men on her arms. Eat your hearts out, ladies!
They found the other guys already on the dance floor. As she walked by him, Joey reached out and wrapped an arm around Jess's waist. He pulled her onto the dance floor.
"Hey, Sugar! Dance with me." He held her close, putting his hands on her hips and she tried to keep up with his crazy moves. Josh and Chris stood there for a minute, not sure where their companion had gone to before they spotted her on the dance floor. They shook their heads and headed over to the bar.
Joey passed Jess to Lance just in time for a slow song. Jess liked dancing with the tall man. It was so comforting to be in his arms. Even though he was so much younger than her, he always made her feel safe.
Another slow song came on and JC cut in.
"Hi honey," he said. "You're not still mad about the restaurant, are you?"
She shook her head. "No, Josh. You know I'm not mad at you."
"Are you having fun?"
"Yeah, I love dancing with you guys, but I hate all the looks I'm getting."
"What do you mean?"
"There are so many girls looking daggers at me right now."
"Really? Where? Think you can help me get their numbers?"
"No! I've told you before, I'm not your pimp, besides, I think they're some of your ‘fans' who didn't like the video."
"Oh, those looks," he looked around the room. "Yeah, OK. I see them. Just stick tight with one of us at all times. One of the security guys is here for you, but it doesn't hurt to be extra careful."
When the song ended, JC escorted her back to the table and went off in search of one of the many pretty girls who had been giving him the eye earlier.
Jess flopped down into a chair beside Chris.
"You look tired, Sweetie," Chris commented as he put his arm around her shoulder.
"I am," she yawned. "It's been a crazy couple of days, you know?" She leaned into him and put her head on his shoulder.
"Yeah, I know." He rubbed his hand up and down her arm. "It'll get better."
"Sure it will, Kirkpatrick," she mumbled.
"Hey, Chris, you gonna share her?" Justin called as he approached the table.
"Do I have to? I was enjoying having her to myself for a change." Chris smiled down at her and pulled her closer to him. The look in his eyes made her insides melt. She could have stayed lost in those chocolate brown depths for the rest of the night.
"Yeah, you have to. She owes me a dance, and Lance some shots."
Justin took her hand and pulled her to her feet. Jess sighed, and allowed him to lead her away. She turned back to Chris, "Hey, you're not getting out of this, Chris. You owe me a dance too!"
Justin led her over to the bar where Lance had shots set out for them. Jess eyed the selection warily.
"Lance, I'll do a couple shots with you, but that is it. If I have to be at a press conference with you guys tomorrow, I don't want to be hung over."
"But, Jess," Lance crooned. "That's half the fun of giving press conferences." Then he laughed. "OK, I'm just kidding. We'll just do a couple then. Next time, we'll work on getting you sloshed." He handed her a drink.
"Gee, Lance, you're a pal."
The three of them clinked their glasses and downed the drinks. Justin took Jess's empty glass and put it on the bar with his.
"Come dance with me."
"Justin, look at all these girls wanting to dance with you. Why not grab one of them instead?"
"Well, my sweet friend, first of all, I want to dance with you, ‘cause you really know how to move, and second of all, with you, I can be myself and just totally wig out if I want. They wouldn't get it."
They grooved on the dance floor for a couple of songs. Lance came over with their second shots. Once those were downed, Jess excused herself to go "freshen up". As she entered the ladies' room, she heard some muttering. Jess shrugged, did what she had to do and left. As she was walking by a group of girls, one of them jostled her roughly. "Bitch," she heard her mumble under her breath. Jess continued as if nothing had happened. She didn't want any scenes, especially in the bathroom.
When she emerged from the restrooms, she surveyed the club, looking for her friends. She saw a gaggle of women and figured the guys were somewhere in their midst.
One of the security team members, Bryan, fell into step behind her as she headed for the table. She sat down so that she could watch the guys dancing. Seeing how much fun they were having just hanging out made her smile. As she was watching them, Jess felt the entire atmosphere of the room change. Looking over her shoulder, she knew that something was going to go down any minute now. When she saw the number of people looking towards her, she realized the atmospheric change was centred on her. Bryan moved closer. She could now see him in her peripheral vision. She saw Bryan speak into his radio as a group of girls, some who had been in the bathroom, swarmed the table. The ringleader reached out and shoved Jess. Before Jess even knew what happened, Bryan stepped in. He reached down and picked her up in a fireman's carry. Back-up came, and Bryan took off running behind the bar and through the kitchen. Jess watched two other security team members block their getaway. Two more were rounding up the guys and herding them out the front door.
When Bryan and Jess arrived safely at the rear door, he placed her on her feet. "Are you OK, Miss C?" He looked at her with concern in his eyes.
"Yeah, I um, I think so." She felt a little shaky and was glad of his hand on her back.
Bryan listened to his earpiece and then spoke in his radio. "Chris is coming around back to pick you up. Once he's got you, I'll follow behind and make sure you get home safely."
She nodded. "Thanks, Bryan."
She heard Chris's car racing around the back of the building. As soon as he saw Jess and Bryan, Chris slammed on the brakes and jumped out.
"Jess! Are you OK?" He wrapped his arms around her and held her tight.
She inhaled deeply, savouring the scent of his aftershave or deodorant or whatever it was that made him smell so darn good. "Yeah, Chris. I...I'm fine."
She felt his breath hot on her forehead. His lips pressed against her hair. "You're shaking, babe. Come on, let's get you into the car." He was very attentive as he opened the door and helped her into her seat. He shook Bryan's hand and then got behind the wheel.
They drove in silence. Jess was too shaken up to talk. In all her time touring with the guys and hanging out with them, nothing like this had happened to her. She was still contemplating the events of the evening when they pulled up at his house. Jess snapped out of her reverie.
"Oh. We're here." She sounded surprised.
"Yeah, we are." Chris responded in a monotone. He got out of the car and went around to her side. She already had the door open and he helped her up. She was surprised when he pulled her into his arms again. He held her closely to him, pressing her face to his chest. When his cell phone rang, both of them were startled.
"Dang," he mumbled as he reached into his pocket for the phone. He kept one arm around Jess. "Yeah," he said tersely.
"Yeah, she's fine. She's a little bit shaken, but not hurt at all. Yeah, just a sec." Chris held the phone towards her. "It's JC. He wants to talk to you."
She shook her head.
Chris sighed and took the phone back. "Look, Jace, she doesn't want to talk right now. No, I swear, she's fine. She's just tired, it's been a long couple of days. Yes, I promise that if anything happens, I'll call you. Yes. I'll tell her that. OK, see you then. Bye."
"Thanks," she whispered.
"No problem. Jace said to tell you he loves you, and I'm supposed to give you a hug too," he gave her a squeeze. "The guys are going to come over here in the morning to discuss our plan with the media, and then we'll all go to the press conference together. Sound good?"
"Yeah," she nodded and offered him a smile. "It sounds fine."
"Ready to head in?"
She thought about it for a minute, "I really don't want to go in yet; I'd much rather sit out on the deck for a while."
"OK. Would you like to be alone, or would you like some company?"
"If the company is you, then I'll take that," she smiled.
"Great." Chris grinned. "Want a hot chocolate?"
"Sure. You got marshmallows?"
"You betcha! One hot chocolate with marshmallows coming up. Why don't you go ahead to the deck? I'll be right out."
Jess found her favourite spot in a porch swing on the deck. She kicked off her shoes and pulled her feet up on the seat. Sitting back, she took a deep breath and looked up at the stars. It was so beautiful here. The swing rocked gently in the breeze. Jess drank in the quiet stillness of the evening with a smile on her face.
Chris came out a couple of minutes later. He could tell that Jess was lost in her own little world. He put down the tray he was using to carry the mugs of hot chocolate on a small table. Leaning over Jess, he spread a blanket over her.
She leaned her head back farther and looked up at him. "Hey."
"Hey. Thought you might be getting a little cold."
"Yeah, I was. Thanks."
"No problem." He picked up the two mugs and handed one to her, then he settled himself on the swing beside her.
Jess held her drink in both her hands, letting it warm her fingers, and hoping that it would take away the cold feeling she had ever since she'd been rushed out of the club. It was the feeling that her life had changed irrevocably and that she was no longer in control of it. Things beyond her reach were shaping her future, and she didn't like it one bit. She sipped her drink slowly and didn't say anything at all.
Chris watched Jess, knowing from experience what she was going through.
"Hey," he reached across and put his hand under her chin. He turned her face so he could see her. "You're going to be OK."
She didn't believe him, but she smiled at him anyway. "Sure."
"No, Jess, I mean it. You will be OK. You're a really strong woman. This isn't going to hold you back at all."
She lowered her eyes and didn't respond.
"Jess, do you remember what it was like for JC when this whole NSYNC thing took off?"
She nodded. "Yeah, Josh said his life was out of control and he didn't think he'd survive."
"And what did you tell him?" Chris prodded.
She sighed. "I told him that he had to play the cards he was dealt and that he shouldn't complain because it was what he wanted anyway."
"And?"
"And I told him I was really proud of him for accomplishing his dreams and that I believed in him and I knew he would be great." She looked up at Chris, "How did you know what I told Josh? Did he tell you about it?"
"Not exactly, but I figured he would have talked to you about it. I was going on what my friends had told me. Jess, I know that being a role model wasn't one of your dreams, but you do have to play the cards that are dealt to you. You have an amazing opportunity here. It may not seem like it now, but it is! I believe in you, you know that, don't you? We were all happy with JC's choice for the video. I was really happy because it meant that I'd get to see you. I love hanging out with you. You're such a neat person. Not only are you incredibly beautiful, you're fun, and you really care about your friends. Jessamyn, I know you can play the cards that were dealt to you. I believe in you."
She smiled at him. "Thanks, Chris."
He squeezed her hand. "No problem. Anytime you doubt yourself, call me and I'll give you a pep talk, OK?"
"OK." She replied.
They sat quietly for a few minutes. Jess started to zone out. She started when she felt Chris's fingers in her hair. "What are you doing?"
"Trying to get your hair out of this twist thingy," he muttered.
"Why?"
"'Cause I want to play with your hair, and I can't when it's pinned up."
Well, that sounded perfectly logical in a goofy sort of way. She let him continue, and she rested her head on his shoulder. She felt her hair coming loose, and laughed when Chris shook it out.
"Geez, girl! Your hair is long! I never realized how long it was until now. OK, now put your head on my lap," Chris demanded.
"What?"
"Put your head on my lap. I know you're tired, just relax for a bit." He patted the pillow that lay on his leg.
"OK," she replied, leaning her head onto the pillow. She curled herself into a ball on the swing. He pulled the blanket up around her and started to run his fingers through her hair, beginning from her forehead. He heard her sigh.
"Feel good?" She nodded. "I thought it might. I know when my hair was long, I loved when someone would play with it. It's so soothing."
Jess gave him a small smile. "Thanks, Chris," she muttered as she let her eyes close and tried to clear her mind of everything. She was so relaxed that she hardly heard Chris's cell phone ring.
Chris groaned, and answered it. "Yes, JC. What would you like? Fine, if you really must see her, come on over. What do you mean you're in the driveway? Look, come around to the back deck, just do it quietly. I've almost got her asleep. Bye."
Jess heard Chris's conversation, but didn't really tune in to it. She really didn't care right then.
JC came into the yard. "Hey, Chris," he whispered, "How's my girl?" He reached out hesitatingly to stroke her cheek.
"She's OK. Just like I told you." Chris sounded irritated.
"I'm sorry, Chris, it's not that I doubted you, man. I just feel so responsible for what happened. I never thought there'd be this kind of crazy reaction. I'm so sorry that I ever put her in such a position. Do you think she'll forgive me?"
Chris felt Jess start to stir. "Hold on a sec, let me put her to bed first and then we'll talk."
Jess felt herself being picked up. "Chris, I'm too heavy," she mumbled.
"Go back to sleep," he replied. He smiled when he felt her snuggle her head into his shoulder. He carried her upstairs and gently laid her on the bed. He pulled the covers over her.
She opened her eyes. "Don't go!"
"I've got to talk to JC, but if you want, I'll come back here for the night."
"Please. Don't want to be alone."
"OK, then, I'll be back as soon as I can." He ran his fingers through her hair one last time and left the room.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: celebritysync jc chris