Author's Chapter Notes:
You thought I'd forgotten all about this story, didn't you?  LOL.  Well, I didn't!  Here's the next one!
    Once all the arrangements were made, Jess went back out to the stage area to watch the sound check.  She found Kelly back there and they finally had a chance to talk privately.
    "So," Kelly bounced, "Tell me, tell me!"
    Jess just laughed.  "What do you want to know?"
    Kelly glared at her.  "You know what I want to know!  Tell me everything, but first, tell me about the kiss!"
    Jess got a faraway look in her eyes and smiled.  "I saw fireworks," she sighed.
    The two girls were enjoying a giggle over their discussion when Justin pulled them both onto the stage.  "Hey, girls" he said in his mic.  "Can I sing this next song to you?"  Justin flashed his big blue eyes at them.
    "I'd really rather you didn't," Jess replied.
    "Too bad," he shot back at her.  He started singing the opening lines of  "This I Promise You".  Jess pouted at him.  Why did he have to choose her favourite song?  Justin kept making faces at her, trying to get Jess to crack a smile and knowing that she could never resist his crazy faces.  The incongruity of the words and his expressions finally did make both girls laugh, and Justin let them go.    
    When he came backstage a couple of minutes later, Justin sought Jess out and asked her to have dinner with him.  She agreed somewhat reluctantly, and went out to the bus for a few minutes of peaceful solitude.  She had asked Josh to come and find her there when the sound check and meet and greet were done.
    About an hour later, JC found Jess laying in his bunk, writing in her journal and listening to music.  He tapped her on the shoulder and when her heart returned back to her chest, Jess turned off the music and talked with him.  
JC held her closely.  "If this is what you want, you know I'm behind you one hundred percent."
    "It's what I need to do, Josh.  Really.  And I need you to talk to Chris for me-not about this.  I'll tell him about this.  I need you to tell him about my past.  I can't, not yet.  But I know you're right, and I want him to know."
    "Jess, honey, if I thought it would really help you, you know I'd tell him in a heart beat.  This is something you need to tell him yourself.  I'll help you in any way I can, even if you want me to be there with you, but he really needs to hear it from you."  JC saw her look of disappointment.  He cupped her face in his hand.  "You know I'm only saying this because I love you.  You need to tell him so that you can get the closure you need and really move on from this."
    Jess frowned.  "OK, I'll think about it, Josh."
    "OK then."  The two friends held each other tightly and then released the hug.  "Hey, Justin said to remind you he's expecting you in craft services."
    "OK, I'll just get changed, and I'll go over there."

    It was funny, but in spite of all the people around them, Jess and Justin actually managed to have a fairly intimate dinner for two.  They were able to talk and hear each other and enjoy each other's company.  They talked about everything under the sun and enjoyed a few laughs as well.  Before she knew it, it was time for Justin and the others to go on stage.  Jess found Kelly and they made their way to their seats with the help of a couple of security guards.  A couple of people looked closely at both girls, trying to place them in the NSync universe.  One or two people looked like they might approach them, but no one actually did.
    The show rocked the house!  Even though Jess had seen every one of their tours more than once, she was totally surprised by this one.  The quality of the show the guys put on was unsurpassed.  It was neat for Jess to see all of the things the guys had told her about put together.  She and Kelly sang along and danced in their seats.  The guys made frequent stops near where the girls were sitting and gave them waves and winks galore.  Even Chris made a point of sending a couple of smiles her way.
    When the show was over, Kelly and Jess made their way backstage and to the vans.  The guys came out shortly after and they made their way to the hotel.  There were many fans outside, so they entered through the back door with a large contingency of security.  
    Jess and Chris had made eye contact on the ride over, and as soon as they cleared the elevator, they sought a quiet place where they could talk together.  Jess took a deep breath.  This was one of the hardest conversations she'd ever had to have before.
    "Chris, I'm going home tonight."  Chris made a move to interrupt, but she held up her hand.  "Please, I have to say this.  Chris, you were right I have a hard time accepting anything good in my life and I've realized there are some things I need to think about.  I need some time and space to be on my own.  But, I'm hoping when you come home in a few weeks you'd be willing to give me another shot."  She smiled at him.  "I'd really like to have a date with you.  I'll even make you dinner and we can just chill because I know how little of that you get to do on tour.  What was it you said?  You and me, maybe a little romance, see where it goes from there?" she smiled.
    Chris smiled back.  "It's a date."  He reached out and squeezed her hand.
    "Really?"
    "Really."  He pulled her to him, noticing once again how well their bodies fit together.  "Can I still call you?"
    "Um, yeah, but give me a few days, OK?  I really need some time alone.  I'm thinking of heading to the beach for a couple days and then I'll go home and get back to work."
    "Sure, I can give you a few days."  He squeezed her tightly and gave her a quick peck on the lips.  Jess turned and sped off down the hallway, not wanting him to see how upset she really was.

    She didn't need to knock on the door, because JC was waiting for her.  "How did it go?" He opened the door and ushered her in.
    She didn't answer him, so he held out his arms and let her throw herself against him.  He held her while she cried, knowing how much this was tearing her up inside.  Jess sniffled and pulled herself away from him.  "Let's just say it went.  I've got to go.  My flight leaves in a couple hours."
    Jess picked up her bags.  Josh took the heavy bag and walked with her to the door.  Jess turned around and put a restraining hand against his chest.  
    "Josh," she sighed, "I've got to go on my own, OK?"
    He looked down into her sad eyes and nodded.  "OK.  Love you."  He offered her a half smile.
    "Love you too."  She replied.
    They gave each other a kiss on the cheek, then she picked up her bags and walked down the hall.  
    JC closed the door slowly, not wanting to let her go, especially knowing how much she was hurting.  



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: celebritysync jc chris