Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

The idea for this story came from watching the Girlfriend video and wondering what it would have been like if they used a girl who was a little on the heavier side to be one of the girlfriends. It kind of spiralled from there. I've been working on this for awhile, so I'll probably post a lot at first until I reach as far as I've written. I know what I want to have happen, I've just got to get it written! Please let me know what you think. My plan is for this to be the first in a three part series.

Author's Chapter Notes:
I don't know if the guys ever did live chats online, it just sounded like something fun for them to do.
Chris was this month's victim for the live online chat. He didn't mind, he found it quite fun. He enjoyed the excitement of the fans and usually he got some really good questions. More often than not, he got the moronic questions: "Can you ask JC if he will marry me?", "Boxers or briefs?", "Can I get Lance's phone number?", but he got his fun with those questions by giving really absurd answers (Lance's number usually was the phone number for the local pizza place). It was a creative outlet for him and he enjoyed pulling the fans' legs.
Today's chat was going fairly well. The moderator was doing a great job of sorting out the questions and answers. It was almost time to wrap it up when Mary, the moderator and all-around IT guru tapped his shoulder.
"Chris, I don't know if you're going to want to handle this one." She pointed to a question on her screen. "There are about ten questions, all similar." She shook her head in disbelief.
Chris read the message quickly. His anger piqued immediately. "Mary, fire it over here. I'll respond to that." While he waited for the question to appear on his screen, he thought about what he wanted to say. He was really not impressed.
The question was, "Where did they find that girl who played JC's girlfriend in the Girlfriend video?" which didn't sound so bad at first, but the follow-up did. "She's huge! She should be ashamed to be seen in public!"
The question popped up on his screen. He took a deep breath and started typing. "Actually, the girl who played JC's girlfriend is a very close personal friend of all of us. She is gorgeous! She's incredibly beautiful, and any one who knows her knows this is true. She's fantastic. She can make your day just by sharing one of her smiles with you. She's a friend who would go that extra mile for you. A guy would be very blessed indeed to have her as his girlfriend."
When he finished his reply, Mary concluded the chat and thanked the fans for their participation.
Chris was still angry when he stepped away from the keyboard. He stormed out of the room and was pacing the hall when he bumped into JC. Chris stopped long enough to help JC up off the floor then stalked off down the hallway.
"What's eating him?" JC mumbled.
Mary was just coming out of the room and saw the whole proceedings. "It was the chat. The last question really pissed him off."
JC was slightly startled as he hadn't expected an answer to his question. "Hey Mary. How did a chat question get him all riled up?"
"Why don't you ask him?" she pointed to Chris who was coming back towards them.
"Chris? What's going on, man?" JC was getting worried.
"Jace, does Jess usually read the transcripts of the chats?"
"Yeah, but what does Jess have to do with this?"
"Do me a favour, call her and ask her not to look at this one, OK?"
"What?" JC looked at his friend as if he'd suddenly grown a second head.
"Chris," Mary interrupted. "I know what you're trying to do, but it won't work. I did a search and there are a lot of threads on all the fan sites about it. It's not going to go away."
"OK, you two, what's going on?" JC looked back and forth between the two, trying to get a straight answer.
"Come with," Chris sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. "I guess I'd better show you."
JC, Chris and Mary went back into the suite and Chris sat JC down in front of the computer. He pointed at the relevant message. JC had trouble concealing his anger and frustration.
"What?! Where do these people get off? Jess is beautiful! She's a knockout! How can anyone say that about her?"
Mary responded, "Apparently, in their small world, people who are bigger than a size two don't have a right to live, let alone be beautiful. I hate to show you guys this, but there's more." She turned her computer towards them. Their jaws dropped when they saw the results of Mary's Google search. How could this be happening?
"I'm going to get the other guys," Chris said as he got up. "We're going to have to do something about this. What are we going to do about Jess?"
"I have no idea," JC replied as he put his head in his hands. His thoughts wandered back:

"Come on, Jess, pleeeeeeze!"
"Josh, give me a break. Knock off the whining already."
"Baby, I'll stop whining if you say yes."
"Is that a promise? ‘Cause you're driving me crazy!"
"I promise. Pleeeeeeeeeze!"
"OK, OK, OK. I give, Josh. I'll do it. I don't know why you want me of all people to be in this video with you, but I'll do it. But, I want something from you in return."
"Sure, baby, what do you want?"
"First of all, don't call me baby. I'm not a baby, OK? Second of all, I want you to promise that you and I can spend a whole day together when you get some time off."
"Deal! You know you're my best girl, don't you?"
"Sure, Josh. I already said yes, you don't need to lay it on so thick now."

It had taken a lot to convince her to do the video with him. She said that she was a regular homebody type of girl, not a gorgeous model type. Josh had assured her that she was just the girl he wanted to play his girlfriend. "Jess, you're a real woman. You are incredibly sexy with all those curves, girl! You are beautiful! You've got this inner beauty that shines through you and illuminates you. Jess, if you saw yourself the way the other guys and me see you, you would totally understand why I chose you. Please say you'll play my girlfriend."

Chris returned to the suite with Joey, Lance and Justin in tow.
"Jace? What's wrong? Did someone die?" The three newcomers jumped in all at once.
JC shook his head, "Nah, guys, I'm fine. I just don't know what to do next."
"Shit!"
All five members of NSYNC turned abruptly towards Mary who almost never swore.
Mary looked at them. "I'm sorry. I just can't believe this crap. And now I've got a death threat here. We're going to have to move fast with this, guys. And you're going to have to let Jess know about this."
Chris gave the three newcomers a quick rundown of the situation. They agreed that this was crazy. They all knew and loved Jess. They couldn't believe anyone, let alone people who were supposed to be their fans would react like this.
While Mary went to work contacting the Internet Service Provider of the person who posted the death threat and then to contact the authorities, the guys formed a huddle, trying to decide what to do about Jess.
JC was in deep thought when his cell phone rang. He really didn't feel like answering it, but he saw Jess' number, so he got it on the second ring.
"Hey, Baby, how are you?"
"Josh, Josh, Josh, why do you always call me baby? Aren't I older than you?"
He grudgingly laughed, "Yeah, but maybe if I call you baby, you'll feel younger and you'll want to date a younger guy like me."
"Not going to happen, Chasez. I love you, but not that way!"
"Aw, I love you too. So, what's up?"
"What's up? Well I figured you were probably not sure of what to say to me, so I thought I'd call you and tell you I already know."
"Know what?" he asked in what he hoped sounded like sincerity.
"Josh, don't fool with me, OK? I know about Chris's chat today and that I am currently number two on the most used key word of the day. By the way, tell Chris that I think he's a sweetheart for what he said about me."
JC looked over his shoulder. "I'm not going to tell him that! Do you know how silly that will sound from me?"
"Fine, goofball, let me talk to Chris."
"Hey, Chris, Jess wants to talk to you." JC handed the phone to him.
"Hey Sweetie, how are you?"
"I'm fine, Chris. How are you doing? They sure gave you a rough time in the chat today". She didn't give him to a chance to get a word in edgewise. "Look, I want to thank you for what you wrote about me being beautiful and all, it was really sweet."
"Well, Sugar, it wasn't meant to be sweet. I was simply telling the truth. To be honest, I was hoping you wouldn't see any of that crap that got posted about you. It is all crap you know."
"Yeah, I know, but it wasn't all crap, Chris, some fans posted some really nice stuff about me too. But really, I'm not worried, Chris. So I'm not a skinny little chick. I am a big girl, but I take care of myself, and I know that the value of my life is not in my weight. I don't care what they think about me.
I wasn't going to read any of the transcripts until this evening, but Becky dearest called me to share the wonderful news. She made sure that I knew how everyone thinks I'm fat and started to tell me about all the diets I should try."
"Ugh! What is that girl's problem? Isn't she your friend?"
"Want to know a secret? She was my friend for a little while, then I realized she only hung out with me to meet Josh. Now that she has, she's insanely jealous of the relationship I have with him. That was part of the reason I agreed to be in the video-I knew it would drive her crazy!"
Chris laughed. "I never knew you had an evil streak to you!"
"Yes you did! Weren't you there the time I put Josh's hand in warm water when he slept in and I wanted to go out?"
"Oh yes, I do remember that!" A grin cracked his face. "A woman after my heart. Oh! Here, JC wants to talk to you again." Chris handed the phone back to JC who was gesturing impatiently.
"Hey, Honey, how are you doing about all this?" JC asked.
"I'm OK, Josh. I was telling Chris that I know that my weight isn't me and so what if I'm not a toothpick. Most guys I know prefer a little meat on a woman anyway. "That's true, I know I do." He grinned.
"Not going to work, Josh, still not going to go out with you."
"Oh, Jess, that hurt!"
"Sure it did, you big baby. So what's the plan here?"
"We're actually just talking about it. Can I call you back in a while and let you know the plan?"
"Sure, no problem. Don't hang up if you get the machine, OK? I'm screening calls, so just say something and I'll pick up."
"What do you mean you're screening your calls? Why?"
"What do you mean what do I mean?" She sounded exasperated. "I'm screening my calls. I've gotten a few weird phone calls this afternoon, so I'm being selective in who I pick up the phone for."
He sighed, "Jessie, I'm so sorry that this is happening. I'll fix it somehow."
"Josh, don't be sorry. I'm not. If being in that video with you is what it takes for people to start realizing that we don't all have to fit into the moulds that society tries to cram us in, it's a good thing."
JC shook his head and let out a small chuckle in spite of himself. "You always know how to put a positive spin on everything, don't you?"
She smiled, "Of course, don't forget, I'm your Suzie Sunshine. I'll let you go. Call me soon, OK?"
"Yeah, I will. Love you!"
"Love you too, Josh."

"She's already screening her calls?" Chris was angry.
"Yeah. She's gotten a few weird calls already. What are we going to do?" JC looked around the room at his friends' faces and realized they didn't have a clue either.
"Well," said Lance, "If they've already tracked down her phone number, I think we need to get her some protection and get her out of there. From the looks of these web pages, a lot, but certainly not all, of this is hate mail, and who knows what someone might try to do to her."
"Agreed," said Joey. "Let's get her out of there first. Where can we place her?"
The five guys thought for a few minutes.
"I've got an idea," Chris said. "For now, why don't we send her to stay with my mom and sisters. She knows them and would be comfortable there."
"Good idea," Lance said. "Why don't you call your mother? Hey, Jace, why don't you get Jess's friend Becky to go over and keep Jess company until we can get her out of there?"
"No!" Chris yelped. "Don't do that!"
"Why not?"
"Because Becky is a bitch, that's why. She's the one who called Jess to let her know about all the press and even gave her diet advice. She's out to get JC, and is jealous of his relationship with Jess."
JC laughed. "What? You're kidding, right?" He stopped laughing when he saw Chris' face. "You're not kidding. Man, I never really liked the girl, but I figured she was a friend of Jess, so I'd put up with her. If I'd known what she was really like..." he left off, shaking his head.
Chris went to the other side of the room to call his mom. JC decided to get Jess on the phone again. Her phone rang and rang as he expected, and it finally went to the machine.
"Hey! Sorry I missed your call. You know what to do!" .
"Jess, it's Josh. Pick up. Jess? Pick up, Jess! I'm serious, Jess! PICK UP!-Damn!" JC slammed his cell phone shut. "The machine cut me off!"
He redialled the number and waited for the machine to pick up again. "Jessamyn Elisabeth Crosby, I swear, if you do not pick up this phone right this instant, I'm going to hop on the next flight and come and kick your ass myself! Pick up, dammit!"
"Joshua? What the hell is your problem? Can't a girl go to the bathroom without getting screamed at?" She sounded angry.
"Oh, thank God! I just got worried when you didn't answer the first time." He was relieved.
"Well, next time I'll take the phone to the bathroom with me, would that make you happy?" she asked sarcastically.
"Very funny, smart ass! Why can't you ever be serious?" He was angry with her now.
"I can be serious, Josh, but if I'm serious, I'll lose my cool."
"It's OK to lose your cool. Talk to me. How are you really feeling?" She could hear the concern in his voice.
She sighed. "You sure you really want to know?"
"Would I have asked if I didn't?" he almost laughed.
"No, I guess not. Joshie, I'm scared. People keep calling me and now they're ringing the doorbell, and it's just plain weird. Why do they care how I look? Why do they have to make a big deal about my appearance? I know I'm heavy, I don't need them rubbing it in my face! You know they say that you are your own worst critic? Well now the whole country seems to agree with my worst critic, and it feels really shitty." She broke off as she sobbed.
"Oh, honey! I wish I could be there with you. I'd give you a super big hug."
"I know you would. You do give the best hugs around." She sniffed, trying to control her tears.
"Look, I know this won't help how you are feeling, but we're going to get you out of there, OK? You're going to stay with Chris's family."
"You guys don't have to do that. I'll be OK." She went back to being the tough guy.
"No way!" He practically yelled at her. "We are not letting you stay there when you have crank callers and people outside of the house. Lance is on the phone hooking up with some security to come and get you. Can you get your stuff packed?"
"Yeah, but how long should I pack for?"
"I don't know. Take as much as you might need for a week or two and if you need anything else, we'll get it for you."
"Jace?" He was surprised by how vulnerable she sounded.
"Yeah, babe?"
"Will you stay on the phone with me until the security guy gets here? I'm scared."
"Yeah, we'll stay on the phone with you. Don't worry. I think the other guys might want to talk to you as well. OK? I'm going to pass you to Joey. Get packing though, OK?
"Yeah, I will. Thanks!"

"Hey, Beautiful!" She loved the sound of Joey's voice; it always made her smile.
"Hi Joe. How are you doing?"
"I'm OK, just worried about you."
"You don't need to worry. You guys are taking good care of me. Hey, help me pack. What kind of clothes should I bring?"
"Well, let's see. You'll definitely need under-thingies, you know, those double barrelled slingshot thingies, and pyjamas, unless of course you sleep in the nude, in which case, I want you to come and share my suite." He smiled, knowing he was going to get a reaction out of her.
Jess just groaned. "Joseph, what am I going to do with you? I meant should I bring nice dressy clothes or just my regular stuff?"
"OK, I'd say bring a couple dressy things and your regular comfortable clothes. We're setting up a press conference, and you may want to be in on it. Of course, like JC told you, if you need anything, we can get it for you. Oh, hey, Lance wants to talk to you."
"Hey gorgeous," she heard his deep voice rumble and knew he meant what he said.
"Hi Lance. What's up?"
"Well, look, the security company is sending over two guys. They are going to pick you and your luggage up. We'll have someone from the company keep surveillance on your place while you're gone."
"Lance, this seems like a lot of work. Thanks for planning it all. I feel better already."
"Jess, you know it's not a problem. I only wish I could do more for you. You keep your chin up sweetie. I'm going to pass you to Chris."
"Thanks, Lance."
"Your name is Jessamyn?" Chris mocked.
"Oh, shut up! It's not like I picked it. Why do you think I tell everyone to call me Jess? I'm going to have to give Mr. Chasez some beats for telling everyone my name that way."
"Hey, I like your name. It's very pretty. It's just that I always thought it was short for Jessica."
"Yeah, I know, a lot of people do. It's just such a long and old-fashioned name. I never really felt like a Jessamyn."
"Well, I think it suits you. So, have you got a smile on your pretty face now?"
"I'm working on it. Do you think it would be OK if I took my laptop? I've got deadlines coming up."
"Yeah, by all means, take your laptop. My mom won't mind at all. She says that you are more than welcome and she and my sisters are looking forward to having you stay with them."
"Chris, thank you so much for arranging for me to go there. I will feel safe being with your family. When will you guys be back home?"
"Well, I don't know for sure (I can never remember my schedule, you should know that), but I'm pretty sure its sometime in the next two weeks."
"That's good. I'll be glad to see you all again."
"I'll be glad to see you too. I want to know that you are safe. Besides, I'm dying for one of those killer smiles you give."
She laughed, not quite sure what other reaction to give. Was Chris flirting with her? Nah, that was impossible. He was just trying to make her feel better.
Lance tapped Chris on the shoulder. Chris passed the phone to him.
"Hey, Jess, the security guys have just pulled up in front of your house. Do you see them?"
"Yeah, Lance, I see them. I guess I have to go now, don't I?"
"Yeah. You go with them. They're going to keep in touch with us and let us know when you've safely reached Chris's place. OK?"
"OK. Tell all the guys thank you. I love you all."
"We all love you too. Now get going, Girl."


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: celebritysync jc chris