It was the day of the barbecue at JC’s and they were waiting for the guests to arrive. The California sun was shining brightly and the weather was perfect. The backyard was simply decorated with no real theme in mind, since there were no upcoming holidays to celebrate. JC just wanted to have a little get together to allow Alani to meet some people that he considered important in his life and to also bring her trip to a close. The food was spread out in the kitchen and some in the backyard. Tables full of hot dogs, hamburgers, veggie trays, a variety of fruit and other finger foods. One area was designated the bar and consisted of several wines, beers and a homemade sangria that Alani had made that morning for the occasion.

 

“Are you ready for this?” JC asked, squeezing Alani’s hands encouragingly.

 

“Yeah, I think I’m ready. I actually don’t feel too nervous,” Alani looked down at her outfit, feeling confident and comfortable. She chose a black and cream knee length sundress in a tropical floral design and black espadrille wedge sandals to match. Her long black tresses were pulled back in a low ponytail with two wavy tendrils on either side of her face. 

 

“Well, good. You look beautiful, babe. You don’t have to worry about anything. These are my friends and they know how important you are to me. Just be yourself. They will be on their best behavior or I’ll kick their asses out.” He said the last part jokingly but fully knew he would if anyone was disrespectful to Alani.

 

“Thanks. You don’t look too shabby yourself Joshua, and I can’t have you kicking anyone out over me. You’ve known these people way longer than you’ve known me.”

 

“That doesn’t matter to me. I want you to be happy and comfortable and if you’re not, they can go. Simple as that.”

 

“You’d do that for me?” She asked surprised. 

 

“Absolutely, honey.” He responded with no hesitation.

 

The doorbell rang throughout the house alerting them that their first guests had arrived. “I’ll get that. Be right back. Remember, just be yourself.” He winked at her.

 

 

The party was in full swing with guests milling about. At first, Alani stuck near JC to get acquainted with everyone, meeting Joey, JC’s long time friend Autumn, his manager/friend Eric, as well as some other friends he had made since living in LA. The meetings were all warm and welcoming with the exception of Eric’s, he seemed a bit cold and Alani wasn’t quite sure why but he was cordial nonetheless. 

 

Once she felt comfortable, she eventually separated from JC and walked around chatting with some folks, eating a little here and there and refilling her drink every so often. JC had always seemed to be within her line of sight in some direction and that was comforting for the both of them. Now, she was sitting chatting with Michael, Lance’s husband, catching up like two old friends.

 

“JC tells us he got you one of those new fancy cameras. So does that mean you’ll take some anniversary pictures for us?” Michael asked, nudging Alani playfully.

 

“He did buy me a new camera. It was a total surprise! I love it. It has so many features. The new photos will be ten times better. I’ll definitely take some for you and Lance if you want me to. Don’t think you have to hire me just because I’m dating JC — or friends with JC.” 

 

“One, you and JC are definitely NOT friends. Don’t even go there. Two, we really enjoyed the photo session you did with the twins. We wouldn’t mind doing that again. Speaking of, when do you think the pictures will be ready?”

 

“Once I get back home, I’ll upload them on my laptop and edit them and send them your way.” She smiled.

 

“I can’t wait to see them. Anyway you totally skirted around the JC comment.” Michael smirked. 

 

Alani took a sip of her drink and sighed. It was either the alcohol or the intense need to confide in someone, but she felt compelled to share her feelings with Michael. He seemed like a safe space. She had tried to contact Kala back home and get her thoughts on the issue but she didn't get a hold of her, which wasn’t unusual.

 

“Michael, I'm not really sure what to do. I want to have a real relationship with JC, but what if this trip was just like a honeymoon. Things are good now, but if I moved out here would it continue to be that way? I want to risk it. I look at him and I see all the possibilities of our future. I really really like him.” She confessed.

 

“You love him.”

 

“What?”

 

“Admit it. You love him.”

 

She thought for a minute before answering, “I do, but there’s no way he feels the same.”

 

“Alani, you’re crazy if you don’t see that he loves you. Lance and I saw that days ago when he brought you over. He won’t say it first. He’s been burned too many times so he’s scared. I can guarantee if you tell him, he will say it back though.”

 

Her eyes widened at the realization. Michael saw her seemingly putting all the pieces together, recognizing how deep their feelings went for each other. 

 

“You have to tell him.” Michael added, giving her an encouraging hug then getting up to walk away..

 


 

Alani sat there thinking about their conversation and although it seemed scary, Michael was right. The trip was basically over and she had avoided any real discussions about her feelings about JC and where they stood. He deserved to know how she felt, and he deserved to know before she left. She gave herself a quick pep talk and got up in search of him.

 

“Alani. Alani. I’ve been trying to catch up with you to chat.” Joey spoke up, walking to catch up to her as she walked towards the doors to head back inside the house. She stopped right before as she heard him come up to her. 

 

“Hi, Joey.” She laughed, turning to hug him.

 

“I never thought I would see the day that JC would fall in love again. This is great. Maybe the old guy will finally settle down.”

 

Fallen in love? Did everyone know but her? 

 

She shook her head, not knowing what to say. 

 

“I just wanted to say how nice it was to meet you. I have heard this guy talking about you for months now, so it was finally good to put a face to the name. A lovely face might I add.” 

 

She blushed, “Thank you. That means a lot. I’m learning a lot about JC through his friends today, specifically how much he cares about me.”

 

“That’s not surprising to me. I’ve known him for nearly 30 years now, I know how he struggles with showing his emotions sometimes, but those tell tell signs are there.”

 

“Enlighten me.” Alani said, eyebrows raised. 

 

“I mean JC is not a stranger to flings. He could’ve let this be that, but he saw something in you that made him want to keep trying even while you were thousands of miles away. That has to mean something, right?” Joey reasoned. 

 

“I mean I guess so. I could’ve just been a good lay,” she joked.

 

“Hey, maybe you were but again, my friend has had his share of, “ He paused, carefully thinking over his words.

 

“One night stands,” She laughed, filling in the blanks for him.She wasn't naive, she knew JC’s past.

 

Joey grinned, “Sure, but none of which he has tried to pursue like this. Quit trying to sell yourself short. You seem like an amazing woman from what I can tell. I just wanted to thank you for making my friend happy. You’ll learn that all of the guys are pretty tight knit and we all genuinely just want the best for each other.”

 

“Thank you Joey. You seem like such a good friend. I’m looking forward to getting to know you all more.”

 

Joey reached in for a gentle hug and she gladly accepted.

 

“Do you know where Josh went? I’ve been looking for him.” Alani asked, looking around.

 

“Last I saw he and Eric were going to his office for something.”

 

“Thanks.” She gave him a warm smile before retreating into the home in search of her guy, who she had been hearing loves her from everyone around them. It was an indescribable feeling and she was feeling butterflies in her stomach at the thought of admitting her own true feelings to him. She was eager to say those words. 

 

After a quick stop in the kitchen for a refill on her sangria, she made her way towards the office. She noticed the door cracked from a couple feet away and stopped to listen to make sure she wasn’t interrupting anything important.

 

“When does she leave?” Eric asked, a hint of distaste in his voice.

 

“Her flight is tomorrow morning,” she heard JC say with a sigh.

 

“Good. Maybe you’ll actually get back to work once she’s gone. She’s been a distraction,” 

 

She could hear the annoyance in JC’s response , “no she hasn’t. I still went to the studio this week, even though I shouldn’t have. The rest of my week was cleared.”

 

“Jace what are you doing? This could’ve just been a one night thing.”

 

“Well it wasn’t. Look, what is your issue with her?”

 

“She’s not right for you. She’s a little .. fluffier than most girls you would go for. She’s broke and clearly using you to get some money. Come on, man. You can do better than that.”

 

Alani knew she should’ve stopped eavesdropping but she couldn’t tear herself away. She had met Eric and he had seemed standoffish but she was taken aback by what he was saying. It hurt.

 

“Eric, you should stop talking about her that way please.” Jc said his voice was unusually calm.

 

“No man, someone needs to talk some sense into you. Send her ass back and move on. She already got you for a $5,000 camera. Did she put out for that too?”

 

“Get out,” JC replied coolly.

 

“What?” Eric asked incredulously, “Are you serious?”

 

“I am serious. I warned you. You’re supposed to be my manager and more importantly, my friend, if you can’t accept the person that I love then yes, get the fuck out.” Jc said, his voice raising with each passing moment.

 

The person he loves? Alani heard herself audibly gasp, then quickly covered her mouth.

 

She quickly scrambled away in search of a room to escape ino. She didn’t want them to know she had been listening even if the conversation was about her. Hearing Eric’s disdainful comments about her was hurtful, but JC taking up for her was way more impactful. She heard what she assumed was Eric stomping away and seconds later heard the front door slam. After a beat or two, she emerged from the room hoping to go back to the party and act like she never left. 

 

“Hey, what are you doing in here?” JC asked, coming around the corner.

 

“Um, I was looking for you,” she answered, nonchalantly.

 

“What’s up? Is everything okay?”

 

“I was just going to tell you,” she paused, trying to work up the courage to tell him what she wanted to, her real feelings about him, confessing her love, but the scene she walked into had put a huge damper on her confidence to make that confession.

 

“Tell me what?” He eyed her curiously.

 

He blew out a long breath and ran a hand through his hair, “you heard our conversation didn’t you?”

 

“Yeah I did.”

 

“Fuck. I’m sorry you had to hear that,” he sighed pulling her in for an embrace. He kissed her forehead softly. “Don’t worry about him, okay? He can be such an ass.”

 

Alani nodded, unsure of what to say. Eric was someone who would be a large part of JC’s life, how was she supposed to coexist with someone like that around?

 

“Seriously. He was drunk and being dumb. I promise he will come around.” He kissed her fully on the lips. “Now, let’s get back to your party.”

 

“Okay,” she said, plastering on a fake smile. 

 

He took her hand in his and gave it a light squeeze before they made their way back to the festivities. Alani tried her best to put Eric’s comments to the back of her mind, along with her plan to tell JC how she really felt.

Chapter End Notes:

Only a few chapters to go before the end! Feedback is appreciated as always :)



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: sequel love jc producerjc interracialjc