Author's Chapter Notes:

Last chapter!

It took about a month for Alani to leave her job at the hotel, pack up her belongings and say her goodbyes to all her friends in Maui. She anticipated that leaving Kala would be the hardest part. And it was. The two friends went out for what they called their final supper the night before Alani was to return to LA for good.

“I already knew you were going to move the moment you left to go visit him,” Kala said softly. She was extremely happy for her best friend but undoubtedly sad as well. Not only were they best friends and roommates, they had become family. With Alani’s parents being gone and not having close family. Kala was her family.

“You did?” Alani asked, surprised. How did she know? Alani herself couldn’t have even predicted it when she decided to go on the trip. She had only planned to go to LA to spend time with JC.

“I knew the moment I dropped you off at the airport. It was obvious how much you were in love with that guy. It was only a matter of time before you realized it.”

Alani smiled, feeling her cheeks flush. “It took us both a little while to figure it out.”

“Well, I’m glad you did. You’re my best friend and I just want you to be happy. I’m really going to miss you though.” Kala admitted sadly. 

“Promise me you’ll come visit?” 

“Only if you hook me up with one of his rich friends,” Kala said with a straight face.

The two girls fell into a fit of laughter. When Alani finally got her bearings, she wiped the tears from her eyes and said, “Some things never change.”


6 months later


Alani sighed happily as she looked around at her surroundings. She was seated at her own desk, in her own office, in her own place of business. The dream had finally come to fruition. She had her own photography studio – Peace, Love and Hau’Oli. Hau’Oli meant happiness in the Hawaiian language and it was most definitely fitting these days. For the first time in her life, she felt like she fit somewhere. She felt like she had found her place in the world and all facets of her life were flourishing. She was extremely grateful to JC for the support both financially and emotionally. He was there every step of the way.

Not only did Kala come to visit, but Alani offered her a job as the receptionist for Peace, Love and Hau’Oli. Kala eagerly accepted and made the move to LA as quickly as possible and the two friends were able to open the studio together. It was a full circle moment that Alani never imagined would happen. 

“Good morning, Mama,” She heard before looking up to see the man of her dreams in the doorway, a large coffee cup in his hands. She smiled as she remembered the first time he presented her with a coffee in Maui. The morning after she had been a complete bitch to him. It was like their thing now. He knew she liked to start her day with her cup of coffee and he always made sure she had some. What probably seemed as a simple gesture to some was an act of love and care to her. 

“Morning,” she replied as he approached her, giving her the coffee and a sweet kiss on the lips. She was sitting at her brand new white wooden desk with her laptop in front of her, several papers strewn across the desk. Her black rimmed glasses sat atop her head as she looked at him with admiration in her eyes.

“What?” He asked, eyebrows raised in curiousity. “Is the coffee bad?”

“No, it’s fine. I’m just really happy. I just feel like my dreams are coming true in more ways than one. I have you, this amazing job, I’m living in this big, beautiful city, I have a full list of clients today. I’m just really grateful that you have helped me get to this point.”

“See what falling in love with me gets you?” He joked, taking a seat in a chair across from her. 

She rolled her eyes in response, “Shut up. I’m being serious here.”

“I know. Sorry, honey. While I have helped you, give yourself some credit. You have the skill, you’re the one who had this idea, had a vision for this studio, took an extremely large leap of faith. I’m really proud of you.” He reached across the table and placed his hand on top of hers giving it a gentle and encouraging squeeze.

“Thank you.”

“On another note, I can’t believe Eric is your first client today,” JC chuckled, shaking his head in disbelief.

Alani laughed. It really was a weird moment given their history. She thought back to meeting Eric at JC’s barbecue and the awful things he had said about her that eventually got him kicked out of JC’s home. To think that he would hire her to do his professional headshots several months later was hardly believable. However, their relationship had done a full turnaround. He had since apologized for his behavior and had made a valiant effort in making sure she knew he supported her and JC’s relationship. Alani being the forgiving person she was, accepted his apology and was able to move on, knowing they would both have to be around each other.

“Right?! I’ll try my best to make him look good.”

“That’ll be hard to do,” JC joked. “But you’re good at what you do, so I’m sure he’s in good hands.”

“Hate to interrupt this love fest here,” Kala peaked her head in the doorway, “But your first appointment is here.”

“Thanks Kala. I’ll be right out. “ Alani said, waving off her friend before taking a big sip of her coffee and sighing in satisfaction.

JC stood up and peeked out the door making sure the coast was clear, shutting the door behind him. “He can wait a couple minutes. I wasn’t done with you.” He voiced coming toward Alani’s side of the desk.

She looked at him with curious eyes as he sauntered towards her. He grabbed her coffee and placed it onto her desk then pulled her up from her seat. 

“What are you doing?” She asked, draping her arms across his broad shoulders. He circled his arms around her waist and clasped his hands together. 

“We never christened this office,” He says, his voice low and deep, causing a chill to run through Alani’s body.

“We don’t have time for that, Josh. My client is literally on the other side of those doors waiting for me, “ She tried to reason, knowing she didn’t stand a chance in trying to resist him. 

“Your client is Eric. He can wait.” He kissed her full lips, moaning at the taste of coffee and vanilla.

Alani returned the kiss and didn’t even realize her hands had slipped into his hair, pulling him closer. She had somehow always lost all rational thought when it came to JC.

“Is the door locked?” 

“One step ahead of you, honey.”

Chapter End Notes:

I had a couple bouts of writer's block when writing this one which is why it took me so long to finally finish it! I'm happy where these two ended up though! Thanks for reading :)


Completed
JTlover1989 is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Double Back also liked 16 other stories.
This story is part of the series, JC & Alani. The previous story in the series is Love on the Weekend.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: sequel love jc producerjc interracialjc