Author's Chapter Notes:

Took a brief break to write a short for the Awesome August challenge! It's called Love on the Weekend. Check it out if you haven't.

 

But now it's back to Justin and Z!

*Trigger Warning* - drug use

I never thought that this would be something I would have to share with you all. For several months now, I have had these two phenomenal ladies in my life. One, my beautiful, amazing girlfriend, Zenia Carter, and her equally amazing daughter, Grace, affectionately known as Gracie. They have been missing for two days now. Due to certain events that occurred prior to their disappearance, I have reason to believe that they did not leave on their free will. I am sick with worry and I just want my girls back home with me. To my fans, if you have any information, please contact the authorities. I love you all. Z & Gracie, I won’t stop until you’re back home.


-JT

Justin read over the social media post that included a picture of the three of them smiling in front of a zoo exhibit their first outing together. Surprisingly, Annie was pleased to let Justin release a statement. She even let him write it himself, before she changed a few things, such as omitting Michael's name, as to not accuse him of something that the authorities weren’t sure that he had done.

But Justin knew the truth. 

He had been feeling a little more hopeful about everything and hoped that this would bring them back quickly, but it had been a week since the post, as well as multiple stories from different news outlets, and no credible leads.

He felt that hope dwindling and was started to fear the worse with each passing day.

He stayed holed up in his house, mostly in bed, feeling a dark veil of depression coming over him. He knew letting himself spiral was not going to help the situation, but it was hard to have any motivation to do anything. It didn’t help that anytime he left the house, he was surrounded by paparazzi asking him millions of questions about Zenia and Grace. It was all too much. 

Lance and JC had helped him organize a search party that had gone out twice already to comb over areas of LA. Both times they had returned home with no leads and a ton of disappointment. 

“J? I’m going to head out. Are you good?” JC asked his friend, his voice thick with concern. He hated to see his friend this way. He hadn’t met Zenia or Grace yet, but when his friend came calling for help, he didn’t hesitate to offer it.

“Yeah, man. I’m fine. Thanks for helping. I really appreciate it.” Justin responded.

“I’ll be back tomorrow. I’ll call you if I hear anything. Get some rest, J.” JC waved at his friend before exiting the home. 

Justin sighed and ran a hand down his face. He was extremely tired, but needed to call Zenia’s mother to update her, He was keeping his promise to keep Tanya informed. 

“Hey, Tanya. Have you heard anything today?” He asked into the phone when she answered. 

“No,” She said sadly, “I’m sorry I didn’t get to come to the search today. I had to work. Did you all find any leads? Anything at all?”

Justin hesitated before answering, knowing his answer would just further break Tanya’s heart. He couldn’t imagine what she was feeling. This was her daughter and granddaugther. “Sorry, but no we didn’t. I don’t even know where to look or go.”

“What if they’re gone, Justin?” Tanya asked, her voice wavering with emotion. 

Justin’s jaw clenched. He wasn’t letting himself go there. He had to believe they were still alive. Anything other than that would completely destroy him. He had to keep up this strong facade with Tanya's sake.  

“They’re not. We just have to keep looking. I refuse to believe otherwise. We will find them,” He needed to believe his own words.


“Thank you for everything you’ve done. Thank you for loving them.” Tanya started to cry.

“Don’t thank me for that. I’ll keep you posted, Tanya. Have a good night.” Justin ended the call fearing his emotions would take over after hearing her break.


He slowly made his way to his bedroom, to the solace of his bed. His body felt worn down, racked with grief. He laid there feeling the tears flow down his face and soaking his pillow. 


Zenia looked around the tiny room that she and Grace had begun to inhabit. Michael had slowly added a few things, getting a small bed that they were able to share and a used TV. She had saw the news story on their disappearance and couldn’t believe what she saw. Her heart swelled when she realized that Justin was doing everything he could to find her. She had started to feel hopeful, but still didn’t know how they would be found, or how they would be able to escape.

She knew Michael was starting to soften some. He made sure they had food everyday, bought them a couple of outfits and had even had small conversations with Zenia, but something was still off and she couldn't quite put her finger on what it was. 

It was evening and Michael had returned from his daily outing. Zenia still wasn't sure what he did during the day when they were locked away. He had unlocked the bedroom door and allowed Grace and Zenia to come out. Grace had decided to stay back in the room and watch the TV. Zenia ventured out and sat on the couch beside Michael.

"How was your day?" She asked.

"Fine," he grumbled.

"Where do you go during the day?"

"Work and stuff," He answered, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a small bag, a syringe and various other items. Zenia's eyes widened as she looked at the drug paraphenalia suddenly realizing what was in front of her. 

"What are you doing?" She asked incredulously. "Michael, please don't tell me that is what I think it is."

He rolled his eyes as he began to prep his items. "Zen, you're smart. You know what this is. And you're going to do it with me."

He began to crush up the substance. She looked away in horror. Suddenly, it all began to add up. His erractic behavior, sudden aggressiveness and this sick ass game of wanting to be a family was all a result of his addiction. This wasn't Michael. She knew that all along, but she had no idea that this is what had caused the change.

"I'm not doing that," She said adamantly. She had told herself she was going to play the game and gain his trust, but this was not what she had in mind.

“Fine. Suit yourself,” He shrugged. Zenia watched in horror as he began to inject the drug into his arm. She wanted to look away but didn’t. She had to see it to believe that it was real. That he was really doing this in front of her. 

She watched him inject the entire contents of the syringe into his arm and pull the needle out, replace the cap and put it on the coffee table in front of them. He looked at her with a lazy grin on his face, said something untelligible, then laid back on the couch with his eyes closed.

Zenia continued to watch as he stayed in that position for a couple of minutes. She saw that he was breathing and figured that it was just the effects of the drug taking over. When it seemed he was unaware of anything going on around him, she quietly got up and went through the small cabin, searching high and low for her cellphone. 
She opened cabinets rummaging through the contents. She opened drawers and closets, becoming more and more frustrated with finding nothing. 

“Fuck,” She cried. She went back over to the couch and sat beside Michael. She looked at his pockets thinking if she could just get her hands on any phone she could call for help. Or even his keys, she could just grab Grace and they could drive away.

She slowly moved her hands towards his pocket, her hand inching its way inside. Her heart sped up when she felt the edge of a phone on her fingertips. 

Michael sat up quickly, his eyes wide. Zenia froze, her hand still in his pocket.
“What are you doing?” He asked, coming out of his drug-induced haze. 

“Just making sure you’re okay,” Zenia said pulling her hand back. 

“I’m great,” He saw how close Zenia was to him and immediately began to assume the wrong idea. Zenia saw the realization on his face. He thought she was coming onto him. She was glad he didn't suspect her of trying to get his phone, but this was not what she wanted or intended.

“Come here,” He said pulling her arm closer to him, “I’ve missed you, Zen.”

Zenia gulped as he leaned in and attached his lips to hers in a short kiss. When he pulled back,  he cupped her face with his hand and smiled. 

“I’m so glad you’re here with me.” He said, looking into her eyes.

Zenia gave him a polite smile, “Me too.”

She leaned into his hand, her insides screaming in repulsion that they were this close.

She felt she was slowly chipping away at that guard that Michael had up and now that she knew what was really going on by discovering Michael’s drug habit, everything was starting to make more sense.

“I’m going to head to bed. Goodnight, Michael.”  She stood up from the couch, leaned over to kiss his cheek and walked back to the room with Grace where she remained for the rest of the night.

As she drifted off to sleep that night, she heard the doors being locked as they were every night and for once, she felt safer knowing that they were.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love interracialj justin solojustin