Justin pulled up to his home and noticed the familiar BMW idling waiting for him. It was Jessica. In a moment of weakness, he yearned for some support and he knew that Jessica was always there for him before, so he called her to come over and keep him company. He told her what was going on and explained that he didn’t want to be alone. 


However, on the ride home quickly began to realize that he may have made a mistake. If Zenia returned home tonight, what would she think seeing Jessica there? Inviting his ex over would just possibly put him in a situation that he couldn’t handle at this moment. 


By the time he reached home, he knew what he needed to do. He had to tell Jess that it was all a mistake and send her home. 


Justin stepped out of his car and walked over to Jessica’s car where she quickly got out and enveloped him in a hug. He had to admit it felt comforting to be held after everything that had occurred that day. 


“Hey. Are you okay?” She asked, pulling back to stare at him in a caring way. 


“No. I’m not. Look Jess-" He started.


“It’s okay. I’m here. I’ll stay here as long as you want me to.” She interrupted, pulling him into another hug, rubbing his back.


He abruptly broke their embrace, stepping back and putting his hands into his pockets. 


“I think I made a mistake. I appreciate you coming out at this hour, but I don’t think its a good idea for you to be here. Thanks Jess, but you should go.”


Jessica looked down at her feet. Even though it was pitch dark outside, with the exception of the solar lights lining the driveway, Justin could tell that she was embarrassed. He waited for her to say something, to cuss him out, to scream at him for making her come out at one o'clock in the morning for no reason at all, but she didn’t.


She simply got in her car, turned on the engine and quietly left the property, leaving Justin standing outside alone once again. 





Zenia awoke some time later, the room pitch black except for a small sliver of light shining in from the moon outside. She was unsure what time it was or how long they had been locked in the small room.


She felt for Grace who was laying beside her on the floor fast asleep, a thin fleece blanket underneath them.


She sat up trying to figure out any way to get out of the room. She walked over to the window again for what felt like the hundredth time since they were locked in the room. She pulled on the metal bars using all her strength, but they didn’t budge at all. 


She wondered what Justin was thinking right now. Was he worried about them? Did he think that she left him willingly and didn’t want to be with him anymore? She wished so much that she could just call him and tell him that she loved him.




Zenia cried out in frustration, sitting back down on the hard floor, hugging her knees. She cried until she felt she had no more tears left. It was then that she decided that in order to have a fighting chance to get out of here, she would have to play along with whatever sick game Michael had come up with in his mind. She would pretend to be a family if it meant that she could gain his trust and get out of here. 


Zenia heard the locks on the door being unlocked and her heart began to race. She quickly dried her tears, not wanting Michael to see her in a weakened state. Michael stood in the doorway and flipped on a nearby light. 


“I bought you guys some dinner. Come out to eat,” he said simply, before walking away.


Zenia quickly woke Grace and carried her into the next room where Michael was seated on the small couch with several McDonald’s bags. She was well aware that it was way past dinner time, it being nearly 2 AM, but she wasn’t going to deny any food, not knowing when they would have a meal again. 


“There’s chicken nuggets and fries,” He said shoving the bag in Zenia’s direction. She was grateful that he was at least not letting them starve. Gracie quietly and hesitantly ate her food, not wanting to engage with the scary man that had torn her away from her real home and the only person who she ever looked at as a father figure.


Zenia decided in order to enact her plan to go along with his game, that she would strike up conversation with Michael. 


“So, where have you been today?” She asked innocently, biting a french fry. 


Michael’s eyebrow raised at her, “Around. Why?”


“Just making small talk. We’re supposed to be a family, right? We should talk to each other at dinner.”


“Yeah, I guess,” Michael replied, hesitantly. “I went to town to get a couple things taken care of.”


“I see. Thank you for the food.” Zenia stated, smiling in his direction. 


Grace looked between her mother and this strange man questionably. She didn't know why her mom was smiling and being nice to Michael when he had done such awful things to them. 


“Yeah. Okay,” he responded. They continued to eat their food in silence. Zenia gathered up all the trash and went to the small kitchen space to dispose of it in the trash can.


“It’s time for you both to get back to the room,” Michael said, motioning towards the other side of the cabin.


Zenia’s heart dropped, thinking she wouldn’t have to be back in that room just yet. She took Grace’s hand in hers and started the short walk to the room. She stood in the doorway, “Michael, how are we supposed to be a family if you keep us locked in that room?”


Michael seemed to actually think before he answered her, but then shrugged. “I don’t trust you yet. I have to know you won’t try to run away.”


Zenia quickly shook her head, “We wouldn’t. We don’t even know where we are. Please, Michael. Don’t lock us in here.”


He hesitated once again and Zenia felt some relief in knowing that he was seemingly thinking about what she had said.


“Not yet, Zenia.” He said simply, moving to close the door.


Zenia wanted so bad to put her hand out and stop the door from closing, to protest more, but she played it safe and watched the door close. She turned out the light and cuddled up with Grace in their makeshift bed, listening to her soft cries. 


“Mommy?”


“Yes, Gracie?” Zenia asked, stroking her soft brown curls with her hand, trying to provide any sense of comfort to her daughter.


“Why were you being nice to him? He’s a bad man.”


“I know he is. I’m just trying to be nice so that maybe he will let us go back home. Do you think you can be nice too?” Zenia asked. 


Grace seemed to ponder the question briefly before agreeing, “Yes, Mommy. I’ll try.”


“Thanks, baby. We will do what we need to get out of here.”


“Will we ever see Justin again?” 


“Yes of course.”


“Do you think he misses us?”


“I know he does.” Zenia reassured her. 





Justin awoke the next morning feeling the other side of the bed by habit. His eyes shot open quickly at the realization that he was in bed alone. He reached for his cellphone, checking it for what felt like the thousandth time since he got home last night. After filtering though his messages, which included one from JC and Lance, his former band mates, reaching out for support, he dialed his manager, Johnny. 


“Hey, J. What’s going on? Any word from Zenia?” Johnny answered, sympathetically. 


Justin sighed, “No. I want to put out a statement.”


“Justin, are you sure that’s a good idea? I mean this could get really messy.”


“Johnny, I want this to have national attention. I want the world to know what’s going on. I want them back home and I think the more people that know, the better.” Justin reasoned. He felt law enforcement wasn't taking this seriously. It was only a month prior that they had filed a police report claiming that Michael had destroyed Zenia's apartment. They didn't seem to take that seriously either. He was determined to take matters into his own hands.


Johnny hesitated before answering. He always wanted to do what was in the best interest of Justin and his career. A possible kidnapping could reveal things that could either hurt or strengthen his career. At the end of the day, all he wanted to do was help Justin.


“Okay. I’ll get in touch with your publicist, Annie and we will get this out to all the major news outlets by the end of the day.” Johnny responded. 


“Thank you.”


Justin said a silent prayer and hoped that going public with this would bring him closer to bringing Zenia and Grace back. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love interracialj justin solojustin