Author's Chapter Notes:

Woke up in tears with you by my side

Breath of relief and I realized

No, we're not promised tomorrow

So I'm gonna love you, like I'm gonna lose you

 

Meghan Trainor & John Legend - Like I'm Gonna Lose You

 

"Hi, we're *NSYNC... and you're watching Good Day Tokyo!" the five members all said in unison. Everytime they recorded an intro like that it solicited a combination of eye-rolling and smirking from JC. It had been over 10 years of being a band and doing nearly identical shoutouts for you name it. 

 

The band was nearing the end of their time in Tokyo before they would move onto Seoul, South Korea for a few days, then head home. It seemed an endless stream of TV show appearances, in store signings, radio concerts and nightly shows were catching up to them. A big party the night before to celebrate the album with a who's who of Tokyo nightlife-- drop dead gorgeous Japanese models and influencers packed their party. Plenty of pictures had been taken for magazines and gossip websites to help promote the careers of the local celebrities. 

 

JC couldn't remember the last time they felt so jam packed with working-- it had to be back in the days of Celebrity. It was exciting to see all of the fans from Japan come out and show love, but it was exhausting. Communication with home was spotty with the 17 hour time difference and cell phones not being strong with International carriers. That alone was making JC grow extra anxious. The stresses and wear of the trip were beginning to show on the five members of *NSYNC. 

 

"It's been amazing being here in Japan," Justin said with a smile. He reached for his glass of water on the table next to him and took a sip. "The fans have been so receptive, and patient for waiting for us for the last six years!"

 

JC nodded, bouncing his leg. "And that everyone still knows the words to all of the songs, including the new album which just came out this week. We are so very thankful to all of you. We can't wait to see the rest of you today!" 

 

The host led the show out for a commercial break and the guys left the stage setup for the interview and walked across the floor to the performance setup for their band. For their first song, just a grand piano was set up with five stools set up all around. JC grabbed his microphone first, followed by Justin, then Chris, then Joey, then Lance. 

 

Justin looked over at JC and smiled. "Are you ready to sing your song?"

 

JC nodded, returning a little grin to his friend. "I am. Thanks for letting me sing this one first."

 

"Are you crazy? It's one of my favorites on the re-release of the album. I love getting to sing it with you."

 

"Let's do this," JC sucked in a breath and let it out. He had written a song for Samantha... okay, written, re-written, recorded and then re-recorded over the span of many months. It wasn't quite ready for the American version of the album, but was placed as a special bonus track for the Japanese release. He had played it for her for the first time shortly after he proposed, just the two of them in his home studio as he intended it to be heard. It was a love letter, the first song he recorded in his birthday gift.  

 

"Welcome back to Good Day Tokyo! We are here with the five members of *NSYNC here to perform for us! Take it away, gentlemen!" the translator said cheerfully, repeating after the host. 

 

JC grabbed his microphone a little bit tighter and smiled up at the camera. "Thank you. This first song is a special song. We released it on the Japanese version of Gentlemen After Dark and will be bringing it back to the States with us. Sometimes songs have special meaning. This one goes out to my fiance, Samantha. I miss you and love you, sweetheart." He swallowed hard, looked over at Justin who nodded and smiled as the piano began to play.

 

JC closed his eyes, feeling the familiar piano melody he had written in the living room on a day he was specially missing Samantha when she was still living in New York. 

 

Is that music in my ear?

It's like I heard nothing for a thousand years

My eyes were closed, locking in my tears

I was so surrounded, but still all alone

A great big house, but so far from home

How'd you breathe life in this heart of soul?

 

The rest of the group joined him in perfect harmony.

 

It's like I can feel

It's like I breathe

It's like I live

It's like I can love

For the first time

 

JC smiled, his eyes closed as his hand went up in the air along with the music. 

 

Justin took over for the second verse, his soulful voice the perfect companion to JC's. 

 

I'm electric, finally exposed

You see through me, strip off all my clothes

If this is falling then let me go 

 

The rest of the group joined for their harmonized chorus again, all five voices playing an equal part to round out the rich sound JC had initially orchestrated.

 

It's like I can feel

It's like I can breathe

It's like I can live

It's like I can love

For the first time

 

JC stood up from his stool, his eyes closed. He was feeling a mix of emotions that surged through his body and he couldn't sit any longer. His voice grew more passionate. 

 

I'm finally awake and I can feel my heart

It's beating like a drum when I'm right here where you are

I can feel it, I can feel it

Oh, can you feel it? 

 

The group finished off the song with an a capella chorus, as JC could feel tears pricking at his still-closed eyes. As the song ended, he sucked in a light breath to fight back the tears and then slowly opened his eyes to look at his bandmates. He hadn't been moved to tears by a song in ages... but he knew this was the one that was special. 

 

***

 

The morning show had ended and the band had a short break before they would be performing one final show in Tokyo before hopping on a plane that evening for Seoul. JC ran back up to his hotel room, walking past his packed suitcases that were waiting by the door. He knew he didn't have long but he had an important call to make. 

 

He sat down on the edge of the bed and dialed Samantha's number. He held the phone up to his ear, smiling waiting to hear her voice. He hadn't been able to talk to her for 2 days and he was eager. He waited for the ring to begin but he was met with silence. 

 

"Must have not pressed the button," he mumbled, taking the phone down and looking at his screen. Dialing Wifey the screen read. He let out a little grunt and hit the end button. He went into his recent calls and tried again, still met with no dial tone. This trip had been unbelievably frustrating. This had been happening over and over again when he had finally had a free moment to text or call. Samantha was strangely silent on the other end as well and it was beginning to stress him out. 

 

He heard a knock on his door and he walked over, peeking out. Justin was standing there with a puzzled expression. He opened the door.

 

"Hey J what's wrong?" he asked, stepping back for Justin to enter. 

 

"My phone isn't working. I've been trying to call Ashley and it's just all mixed up. Like no dial tone. And I'm not even sure my texts are going through." Justin was looking panicked. 

 

"Ugh you too?" JC made a face. "I've been trying to call Samantha and I've had no luck. I expected more texts and pictures too and it's been almost radio silent. I don't know what's going on but it keeps making me more and more nervous." 

 

"I thought technology was supposed to improve," Justin rolled his eyes. "We get new cell phones that are supposed to have amazing International calling capabilities. I just hate this."

 

JC nodded. "It feels isolating and ridiculous, bro. I'm sure the girls are worried at home too."

 

"I don't like this. Like... I don't like Johnny being able to tell us who can and can't come on one of these promo trips with us. Feeling this run down and exhausted was different when we were younger but I'm not liking it right now." Justin's voice was serious, a tone JC hadn't heard from him in many years. 

 

"I know." He rested his hand on Justin's arm, looking at him, feeling his concern. "We can have a group meeting when we get back. We don't run like this anymore. We're our own people."

 

Justin nodded. "I think it needs to be addressed." He crossed his arms, jaw set. "I'm calling a meeting when we get home and all of this settles."

 

***

 

The three days in Seoul flew by in a whirlwind. Record store signings, concerts, TV and radio shows, sightseeing, private dinners with executives. There was barely enough time to breathe, let alone stop and think about what was really happening. 

 

The phone situation was still not ideal, but a phone call had come into the front desk of their hotel that Chris' sister had gotten into a severe car accident and required his attention immediately. As a result, the last two days of their trip were cut short at the insistence of the band and arrangements were made to fly home that afternoon.

 

A flight that takes you around the world is already long, but a flight that is taking you back around the world to someone you are missing that you haven't been in touch with in over 5 days seemed even longer. According to the TV in front of him, they were less than an hour away from Los Angeles. JC was staring at his phone in his hand, examining it carefully to notice if any messages had popped up. "C'mon..." he grunted, looking from his phone, to the window, to Justin who was seated across the aisle from him doing exactly the same. 

 

As the plane touched down and began taxiing to the gate, one ping after the next began to pile up on the phone. He tried to scroll to the text messages tab but his phone overloaded and started itself. The LG logo came on the screen and he rolled his eyes. "C'mon phone..."

 

It turned on again. JC's heart was in his throat just at what he saw before the phone restarted itself. He looked over at the clock. It was 3AM and he knew he couldn't just call her but he was contemplating it. 

 

Justin looked over as his phone chimed. "Oh my god."

 

"I'm going to be sick," JC mumbled, putting his fist to his mouth as the messages continued to pile up. "Oh god." He started to scroll through them. The original messages were flirty, responding to his pictures and texts with some of her own. Then they began to get more worried, sad, even a little bit of angry tension. He grunted as one popped up telling him if he wanted to break up with her, he should have just asked for the ring back instead of running away. JC thought he was going to throw up.

 

Justin let out a sigh. "Okay, we are home. Everything is gonna be fine, we're gonna make it right C."

 

JC was about to jump out of his seat to get off the plane. "Make it right? What if it's all fucking too late? Everything is always too late." He felt he was slowly about to lose his shit. When the door to the plane opened, he was already up and grabbing his bag. 

 

Justin stood up on the other side of the aisle, grabbing his carry on. "Melinda said she'd get our checked baggage and drop it off later for us. Let's just get home."


Meanwhile back at their home, Samantha was struggling to sleep. It had been one week since she had heard from her fiance and she was beyond worried. Pictures of their parties and fan encounters had been posted on message boards and on the Internet where the band looked happy and engaging but nothing had been communicated to her from them directly. Every time she called, his phone sent her straight to voicemail and her texts went unanswered. She couldn't sleep in their bed out of the sadness she was feeling, even going so far as to panic-pack her carry on to make a fast escape back to New York if she hadn't heard from him by the end of the trip. 

 

She was in the den in the basement, curled up under a blanket on the couch. She was staring at the wall where JC had hung several of *NSYNC's awards and accolades. A few of her magazine covers were placed along with his, but her eyes were fixated on the No Strings Attached multi-platinum plaque. "Why did I fall in love with a boyband member?" she mumbled.

 

She heard the sound of squealing tires and some banging and she sat up quickly. "What was that?" she said to no one in particular.

 

JC slammed the door to the car and ran inside, letting himself in. After tossing his carry on in the foyer, he hung his keys up on the rack and ran for the stairs, taking two at a time to the bedroom. As he rounded the corner he saw the bed unmade and clothes on the floor, but it was empty. He stopped, sucked in a harsh breath, needing a moment. It was 3AM and his girl wasn't home. He blinked. 

 

He ran into the guest room, checking the first door. Empty. He was feeling lightheaded, so nervous he wasn't able to breathe right. He ran back down the stairs. "Where could she be? Justin's... with Ash." His voice was barely above a mumble. He ran down stairs to the living room, which was empty as well. His voice got louder with his frustration. "Jesus! Just let me fucking catch a break."

 

Sam wrapped herself up in the blanket and shuffled her feet into the hallway, then up the stairs from the lower level den to the living room. She thought she heard the sound of his voice but thought she could have been imagining things. "Josh?" She said, groggily. Her hair was piled in the messiest top knot and her eyes were red and tired. 

 

His head whipped down so fast and he sucked in a sharp breath, within milliseconds he was in front of her at the top of the stairs, looking down. "Samantha..."

 

"Baby..." her eyes squinted, "You're not supposed to be home for 3 more days. What? Oh god I'm dreaming. This isn't fair." She sighed.

 

His hands went up to her face as he held her gently. "Oh it is me, I promise it's me." His hands fell from her face to let his arms wrap around her so tightly, bringing his head down to cradle in her shoulder. She could feel the harsh pounding of his heart up against her body.

 

She smiled softly, letting her hand go to his chest where it touched his racing heart. "Oh my sweet baby." She sucked in a breath, letting her head go on top of his and she began to cry softly. Her body wasn't racking with sobs, just a silent cry and release of all of the emotions she felt. 

 

JC smiled softly. He knew his girl, and he held her there against him for a few long moments. His lips came down to the side of her face where he mumbled, "I had to come home to you. I was dying." 

 

She looked up at him and whispered, "You're not leaving me?" Her racing mind was getting the best of her. She had made the mistake of reading some message boards and gossip websites while he was away, filling her mind with stories of ghosts of the past.

 

"What? Leave you?" He took the blanket that was barely hanging on her and tossed it to the floor before lifting her up into his arms. "I wouldn't leave you, ever. If you ever left me I'd be chasing you down. These 10 days made me realize that you're ingrained into who I am. I'm an absolute mess without you."

 

She sucked in a soft breath and brought her forehead to his. "Good. Because I couldn't fathom not being engaged to you anymore if you wanted to end this."

 

"Oh baby. I know we couldn't talk. I was upset too. But... I never want to end this. I want to marry you, I want to have a family with you and grow old with you. Fuck, if I have to leave the band I'd do that for you too." He was looking down at her with so much emotion, you'd have to be blind not to see it on his face. 

 

She slid her arms around him and squeezed him a bit herself. "God do I love you Josh, but baby?"

 

He was looking down at her as he headed for the stairs, bringing her back to their bed. "I love you too. Yes?"

 

She smiled softly, "You're not leaving the band. I just wanted to ask you to hold me and let me fall asleep in your arms. I'm so tired."

 

"I'm exhausted, and I am going to hold you so close. Let's sleep all day tomorrow, I don't even care. I just need to be with you." He took her to the bedroom, kicking off his shoes before climbing into bed with her. 


She curled up into his body, even tangling up her legs with his. Her hand slid up into his shirt to rest her hand on his skin, in no way rubbing or feeling him to turn him on, rather just the familiar feeling of his skin held a deep comfort.

 

He let out the longest sigh,one of relief and exhaustion. He was with her and everything was going to be okay, even if it was going to take a couple of days to be okay, it was all going to turn out all right. He needed his face to be close to hers. He knew that they didn't need anything else to be said,they just needed to be together. He stroked her hair and looked down at her until she fell asleep, knowing he needed her to completely fall asleep before he could, but with a few strokes of her hair, her eyes grew heavy and she let out the harsh sigh she always let out before she fell asleep. It was then he was finally able to let go and close his eyes, falling into the deepest sleep he had in over 10 days.

 

The afternoon light came creeping in their bedroom window. Sam hadn't moved a muscle, still snuggled into him in the same position as when her head hit the pillow. JC's arms were around her, feeling relaxed and awake, thinking about everything as he held her. His eyes were closed and he was feeling at peace, knowing she was in his arms. He heard her let out a soft sigh, digging her face into his chest a little bit more. She let out another soft sound as her body slowly began to wake up.

 

He was already smiling to himself as he whispered, "Hi..."

 

"Mmm. Good morning, baby." She stretched a tiny bit, making another soft groan as she looked at him with sleepy eyes.

 

He let his eyes flutter open and he smiled, looking down at her with a deep love in his eyes. He stroked her hair away from her face, continuing to play with it as he made his solid eye contact with her. He couldn't have been happier to be waking up. 

 

She smiled softly, nodding at him, not sure at exactly what, but she did. She leaned up and placed a soft kiss on his lips with a satisfied hum. JC smiled at first in return then touched her face and kissed her right back, not a sexy kiss nor a little one, one where their lips were locked and they stayed locked, having a moment together, a waking up in each other's arms, nothing else matters type of kiss. 

 

She smiled softly, looking up at him with adoring eyes. Her lips placed the softest little kisses on his lips, snuggling into him even more. 

 

He reached and wrapped his arms around her tightly, tangling up his legs with her even more, wanting to snuggle the hell out of her. He put his face next to hers and breathed there for a moment before he mumbled on her lips, "I may never go back to Asia."

 

She smiled softly, stealing another soft kiss. "Isn't Bora Bora considered Asia though?" She was loving having him wrapped up around her, up against her. 

 

He laughed, giving her a squeeze. "You know what I meant. I'm not ever going to Bora Bora so I wouldn't care if I had my phone. Wait. I'm NEVER going that far away without you ever again." He looked down at her. "I'm so serious."If it's possible to love you even more, I think I do."

 

She offered a soft grin, reaching up to play with his hair. "It's possible.  Because my heart is feeling some type of way right now aboutyou, even though I didn't think it could feel more than it already did."

 

He smiled, tilting his head so she could play at his hair some more. His arms were still on lock around her and he made no plans to let go of her anytime soon. "Wait until you become my wife."

 

She laughed softly, letting her fingers play at his scalp, rubbing at it gently. She was being very deliberate and gentle with her touches on him. "Baby, if we're being honest I already kinda feel like your wife. I look at you and feel like you're my husband already."

 

He groaned at how good it felt for him to be rubbing on his head like that. "Baby, I feel like you're my wife already too. I mean I know I'm keeping you for the rest of my life and growing old with you. All I need to add is the wedding band and my last name to the list."

 

She grinned cutely as her fingers worked a bit more into his scalp, knowing he was on that airplane for 18 hours earlier. "You're gonna look so good with a wedding band on." She brought her lips to his jaw and kissed gently. "I can't wait to shop for them with you."

 

He almost purred at her fingers, then he smiled when her lips were on his face. He loosened one of his arms on her so he could rest his hand on the skin of her back. "Baby, I'm gonna love anything you want for me."

 

"Mmm, maybe something platinum." She grinned against his skin, "You know what I do want baby? I want something for breakfast with you. I'm hungry."

 

"Mmmmmmm. Girl, you are speaking my language. I'm so hungry, but I'm so in love with you that I don't want to get out of this bed either," he smirked. 

 

She laughed softly, grinning. "Then we can cook together in the kitchen. Nobody said we needed to be apart for this." He fingers hooked into the elastic of his boxer briefs. 

 

He grinned so cute, sitting up straight with her in his arms. "And what are we making? Lunch? Dinner? Breakfast? Mmm, god I missed you."

 

"How about brunch?' she peeked over at the clock. "It's 1PM. That qualifies as brunch." She grinned so cute, leaning down to take his shirt off of him, tossing it on the floor. She let her fingers play at his leo necklace for a moment.

 

He was grinning from ear to ear that she just did that. He looked down at her messing with the necklace. "I guess I didn't need my shirt to be in the kitchen though."

 

"NOPE," she grinned, "I haven't admired your body in almost 2 weeks. That's a long ass time okay?"

 

"It is a long ass time because I haven't been able to see your body either and we both never got all the pictures we promised." He licked his lips before picking her right up out of bed, carrying her downstairs to the kitchen. 

 

She giggled softly. "Guess I'drather have the real thing." He put her down on the counter and she leaned up to kiss him once before she shimmied out of his grip, off the counter and began to gather materials to make eggs benedict.

 

He started a pot of coffee, but was watching her every chance he got and smiling so cute. "I'll take the real thing over a photo any damn day." He had his eyes on her, checking her from top to bottom.

 

"The real thing is always yours," she grinned softly, watching him watch her, "I still remember you checking me out in my Skins shirt, in the loft after the Halloween fashion show," she giggled, "Must be something about being in a kitchen."

 

"Well, we kinda started this relationship in a kitchen," he smirked as he pulled two coffee cups out of the cabinet, "Strangers who knew they were attracted to each other, cooked together in a kitchen."

 

She grinned as she warmed the canadian bacon, stirring her homemade hollandaise sauce for the eggs benedict. She took a moment to look back at him. "Waffles and fruit," she smiled, "Strangers who knew they were attracted to each other, who probably had no idea shit would get so serious." She giggled lightly. 

 

He grinned, leaving his coffee to brew while he came up to place his lips at her neck near her ear with a smile. "I had no idea shit would get this serious with you, baby, just knew I needed to be around you."

 

She tilted her head a bit to let him continue to love on her neck, it made her smile. "Likewise, you and your cheesy lines that were so endearing..."

 

"I meant them," he smiled as he placed a trail of kisses across the back of her neck to the other side, leaving his lips there. "I've meant everything from day one with you." He began to sway their bodies together.

 

"I know. You've been genuine right away with me. That is one thing I've noticed about you." She backed her body into him, making sure that she was moving lightly against his hips when he swayed their bodies together.

 

His hands gripped her hips a little harder and his face dipped down against her neck a bit when she did it. He didn't say anything right at first wanting to take the time to genuinely appreciate his woman. Sam's eyes fluttered closed as they swayed together. Their hips were moving and her ass was in fact moving against his hips but in a sensual movement where she was in tune with how her body melted into his. 

 

He smiled and pulled her away from the stove for a moment, turning her around to face him. He pulled her into his body and needed to put his forehead against hers, then his nose on hers. He took a moment to rub his nose back and forth with hers, then put his lips to her cheek in an appreciative soft kiss, simply saying how happy he was to be there with her in that very moment.

 

Her eyes closed again and she smiled, letting her nose rub against his a few more times before she whispered, "Waking up with you may be the most incredible experience I've had in this life, Joshua Chasez."

 

He smiled big against her cheek, placing the smallest kisses back to her lips until he enveloped them once. ‘Then I guess you're in for a lifetime of incredible experiences. Over and over and over."

 

She smiled, stealing one soft kiss before she began to soft boil the eggs for the benedict. She couldn't help but have the cutest little grin on her face while she was cooking. He had her so in love.

 

He was grinning too and couldn't stop stealing glances at her. He walked over to make their coffee before putting her cup right next to where she was cooking as he leaned on the counter and watched her. He knew nothing needed to be said.

 

She hummed softly, nothing specific, just a soft little song as she plated the english muffins, egg, canadian bacon and drizzled the hollandaise sauce on top. Some breakfast potatoes went on the side and the kitchen smelled the aromas of the coffee and homemade breakfast.

 

"That looks and smells like it's going to be the best breakfast I've had in weeks, damn baby." He was licking his lips as he made his way to sit down. He was more than ready.

 

She giggled softly, carrying their plates over to the table. "We've been so good this past month. So many green smoothies and overnight oats. We deserve it." She smiled, putting his plate down and hers, then walked back to the counter to get her coffee.

 

"I know, and even that I would have taken over some of our breakfasts in Japan. I'm starving." He watched her and took his first bite, not able to wait. He made a noise and shook his head at her. "If I hadn't already asked you to marry me, this would be the moment I got on one knee for you."

 

She laughed so softly. "You know that I would have said yes, absolutely yes baby."

 

He smiled and rubbed on her leg as he finished his breakfast hurriedly and happily. "I mean, I would have let you say yes but then I probably would have felt bad afterward."

 

"For proposing over eggs benedict?" she smirked. 

 

"Yes," he sipped his coffee, "You deserve way better than a ring over eggs benedict in a kitchen." He grinned. 

 

"Mmm, I would have definitely still loved it. I mean, I love what you did but I can guarantee I would have loved anything you did for me." She leaned in and kissed his cheek softly then took another sip of coffee. "You still look hungry. Can I make you something else honey?"

 

"No I'm good," he grinned slightly, "Cause I'm gonna snack all afternoon."

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: soloj jc celebrity solojc