“Katie it’s starting!” Riley shouted from the living room. 


Katie practically skidded into the room, beer in hand, from the kitchen as Jimmy Fallon’s voice announced “....GO GET HIM, JUSTIN!”


“Damn, girl..” Alex laughed. 


Riley’s oldest brother had invited everyone over for a Superbowl party to make up for missing brunch. His 6 year old was GLUED to the tv, a mini Justin fan himself.  She could not escape him anywhere in her life. Riley laughed as he bounced along to the opening notes of the show.


“Hey, HE gets it...” Katie smiled and handed Riley the beer she had grabbed for her. “DANG, Ry...Your boy looks GOOD….”


“He is not my boy, Katie,” she rolled her eyes. 


He did look REALLY good, though…


“How’s that going, sis?” Alex asked. 


“Busy,” she took a sip of her beer. “But ya know, busy is good. Glad to have this week off, though.”


She didn’t dare tell them she was actually checking on his apartment while he was gone.


“Ry, Seriously... Look at him. I swear I hate you.” Emi breathed as she stared at the tv.


“He didn’t invite you out to this?” Diego asked.

“Invite? No.” Riley laughed “Besides look at this, do you know how much WORK I would be doing for this?” She had to admit, though, could have been cool to see a Superbowl in person. 


Even her brothers were dancing a little. The pacing was smooth, and she couldn’t deny that his energy was unreal.


By the time he hit a dance break, she felt something new for him: Pride. She had seen how hard he had worked for this performance, and could tell how much fun he was having. 


He sat down at the piano, and she found herself smiling. “Good job, Justin…” she whispered.


The entire room’s jaws fell when Prince appeared above him and he sang along.


Katie and Emi were too invested to notice her reaction. 

Thank God.


Then “that” song. 


Damn it, Justin… 


She felt a tear roll down her cheek…


“JUST PUT YOUR HAND ON THE PAST…I’LL REACH OUT AND PULL YOU THROUGH” She heard Katie’s voice as she tugged at Riley to get up. 

“Stop…” Riley smiled.


“YOU JUST GOTTA BE STRONG...” Emi pulled her other arm. Riley caved and got up, swaying arm in arm with her friends. 


Alex and Diego looked on, laughing as they tried to sing along.


“You’re both crazy!” Riley giggled.


“And you don’t hate him, anymore…” Katie teased…


Riley rolled her eyes through a smile “Whatever…I GOT THAT SUNSHINE IN MY POCKET” she sang as her friends squealed.


Maybe she didn’t...




************


Riley waited in the black towncar. It was raining as she looked out the window, and monitored her phone for any updates. They were parked at a private gate - Something out of an action/adventure spy movie. She half expected a mysterious crew to show up with suitcases and burner phones to deliver a secret message to her.


The click of an unlock button and a door opening interrupted her daydream as a scruffy smile greeted her. “Hey Marin…”


She scooted over to let him in “Welcome back, Justin…” Riley smiled. “How was your flight.”


He shrugged “It was fine. Everything set up at the studio?”


“Yep. Good to go...You sure you don’t need a nap or something first?”

“Nah. I’ll be ok.”


“So um...Great job at Superbowl..” Riley looked at him.


“You watched? “ he smiled.


“Justin - It’s the Superbowl. Everyone watched…”


“Uh huh...Man, what a rush…”


“Well you killed it, so…”


“Thanks, Riley.” He had half expected her to blow it off, part of him flattered she hadn’t.


“Looks like Yolanda is gonna beat us there,” Riley stated, getting back to business. “I let them know she’s clear to wait for us inside. That ok?”


“Of course. Honestly just glad we could squeeze this in before tour.”


“You’re cutting it close. Take a break some time, would ya?” Riley joked.


“ You know I won’t ” Justin laughed.


They walked into the studio and Yolanda waited on a couch. Her tight curls fell in her face as she scrolled her phone. In the dim light, her skin was highlighted at an angle and her looks were obvious.


“THERE she is..” Justin beamed. “Hey girl…”


She looked up. “Hello again,” she smiled, getting up to greet him. 


He hugged her and stepped back to look at her. “Well, long time no see. Let’s see what you’ve got.”


“I’m a little nervous. I’m used to the setup in my room and my cousin’s studio. This is gorgeous.” She looked around.


“Same idea,” Justin reassured her. “Just sing. Don’t even think about it.”


“I’ll try.”


“Did you bring your mixes?” he asked.


“Oh uh, yeah…” She grabbed a flash drive out of her bag and handed it to him. 


“Ok. let’s go. Grab those headphone.” He smiled.


They got set up as Yolanda stepped into the booth. Justin spoke through the mic. 

“Ok so just..Pretend you’re in your room.”


Riley watched from the side, genuinely curious to hear Yolanda’s voice. 


He pressed play and slid a few controls as the music started. 


Yolanda closed her eyes and took a deep breath before launching into a cascading opening sequence. 


WOW. This girl could SING. Justin’s eyes went wide and he looked down to hide his reaction. 


She continued on, and Justin stopped her 2 minutes in. 


“Damn, girl…” he looked at her “You came to PLAY, huh?”


She blushed from behind her mic. “Was that ok?”


“Okay?? Honey...Your life is about to change…”



***


Riley watched as they worked through two songs, and recorded new mixes. They were almost done wrapping up two usable demos, when Justin turned to her.


“Riley...You mind grabbing us a couple coffees? Usual for me and a regular coffee for Yolanda?”


“Of course! Be back in a few. “ Riley got up. She could use some caffeine, herself. 


**


As Riley picked up her order and turned to leave, she was stopped by a familiar voice that froze her in her tracks. 


“RILES? Is that you…”


What was he doing here?


She turned around slowly, careful to remind herself she was still “at work” to keep herself strong. “D-Derek uh...Hi…”


“Hey! Wow. Long time no...How are you?”

“Fine. Uh...What are you doing in New York?” 

Derek had gone ahead after they split and moved to Austin. A clean break. How nice for him, while she was left to pick up the pieces of her life at home. 


“Ah..Actually here on business for a couple months. Project lead for a new division.”

“Impressive,” she managed.


“Yeah, I guess...Wow. What a surprise, huh? What are you up to these days?”

“You know...Life...Actually just on a break from work ...Gotta get these back,” she lifted the drink tray. 


“Yeah, yeah of course uh...Listen I uh..I’d love to grab a drink while I’m in town. Clear the air a little? Riley I know things didn’t end…”

“Derek, I don’t think so-”


“Just a drink, Riles - um..Riley. I think it’d be good for both of us.”

Riley looked down and sighed. “Fine. Um..Text me. I gotta go. “


She made her legs move, needing to get back to the studio as soon as she could. She felt like she had seen a ghost. In a way, she had. 


She made her way back into the studio and stopped short, noticing Justin and Yolanda laughing. They sat next to each other, Justin playfully squeezing her arm. Her eyes bore into him as she smiled coyly, and he was hanging on her every word. 


OH this day was getting better and better…


Riley cleared her throat. “Um...Sorry… Coffee” she weakly announced. 


Justin took a quick breath, looking as though he had been caught.. “Thanks, Riley.” He stood up quickly to grab the drinks. “We’re uh..we’re almost done for the day.”


Yolanda moved a section of hair bashfully behind her ear and took a sip of her coffee. “Thank you. I needed this.” she gestured at Riley.

 

Riley needed something stronger.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant celebrityj soloj enemiesturnedlovers