Riley settled in to a large plush chair, bottle of water in hand, as Justin focused with military precision to a backing beat.

He held a set of headphones to his ears as his facial expressions changed in time to the music.

 

“Back it up guys…Can we turn up the bass here…”

Riley had to admit, she had always wanted to be a fly on the wall for a studio session, and the day had been pretty easy so far. Justin was doing his thing; in his element.

He was actually getting stuff like water himself, which she had not expected.

Johnny had left to handle other business, so this was the first time she had been alone with Justin on the job.

It was going smoother than she expected. She could tell Justin was comfortable. Having not really followed his solo career, it was almost a surprise when she realized how long he had been doing this.

He was a veteran, and it showed.

She hung back as he spoke in detail about each track and noticed TINY details she would never have thought to pick up on.

It was almost annoying how easygoing he was being. Was this an act? How was this the guy that turned his back on his four brothers?

She even found herself bopping along to some of the songs. There were a few she actually liked.

For a brief moment, she saw the Justin with weird bleached hair. The teenage ball of energy in shiny jerseys. She smiled to herself at the memory.

“Riley…RILEY…”

His voice pulled her out of her daydream.

“Yes? What’s up?”

“We wanna break for lunch soon. Can you get us food?” He asked.

“Of course…In the mood for anything in particular?”

He took a minute to think, scrunching his face as he did so. “Uhhhh…pizza?”

“Oh...that’s easy. Plain? Pepperoni?”

“Yes.”

“Which one, Justin?”

“Surprise us.”

UGH. Now she had to be a mind reader. Great.

“Um. Ok.”

He smirked “You’re a New Yorker. If you don’t know pizza…”

She contemplated a quippy comeback, but there were too many people there.

“Won’t be an issue,” she replied.

She was definitely ordering herself garlic knots. And not sharing.

**

The studio session wrapped up, and Riley made mental note of his mention of a video shoot. He had really scheduled himself into a corner with the Superbowl being right around the corner.

How did he do all this? She was tired just having to manage the scheduling.

She stood to meet him as he walked away from the soundboard.

“Well…You know pizza.” Justin smiled.

“Uh. Thanks. Listen um…Can we go over this month’s schedule quickly. I am seeing some tight turnarounds here.”

He shrugged. “Used to it”

“Glad to hear it. I just want to make sure I understand what I need to handle and remind you of dates and times.”

He sat down on one of the couches “On top of things. I like it. Ok shoot.”

Riley looked down at everything she had managed to keep track of, and her notes.

“Ok, well, this video shoot falls right in the middle of superbowl run-throughs. Is there going to be a potential conflict there? And should we book a car for the whole day?”

Justin rubbed his pant leg with the palm of his hand and bit his lip “Uh...Those are just for marking the show order, really. The big rehearsals will be when I get to Minneapolis. That shoot is just part of the video… Sounds like a lot I guess.”

“It does. Car?”

“Yeah- Yeah…Book the whole day.” His voice sounded distant.

“Oookay. Noted. “

Justin got up suddenly without looking at her, and grabbed a CD off the shelf.  It was random.

“Here...advance copy. Like I said, you should be familiar. Busy few weeks. “ Justin handed her the CD and sat back down, this time picking at the fabric of his jeans.

“Th-ank you. Uh…I was going to check in on your place the Saturday after you leave. Cleaner is coming that Friday. Does that work.”

“Uh huh…” He wasn’t even looking at her. He wasn’t looking at anything. What the hell?

“Justin…”

“Hmm?” he looked at her lazily, his eyes cloudy.

“Did I…do something wrong?”

“No?” He looked confused.

“Oh. Alright well um…Guess we should head out?”

“I um…You can go. I’ll wrap up and get myself home.”

“Oh. Sure. I’ll…Talk to you tomorrow.”

“Night Marin.” He was tapping his foot now.

Something was off. Did he take something? Should she have been watching for that? She had seen pictures of him drinking, like any other celebrity, but she was wondering if there was more she didn’t know. She stared at him for a second before turning around to leave, but she was concerned.

“Justin are you ok?” she asked cautiously, walking slowly toward him.

“Fine, why?” He was pacing the room, straightening random things. “Finishing up. Good night.”

“Need some help with that?” She went to grab a chord he had knocked loose.

“MARIN STOP. “ She jumped back a little. His voice sounded agitated, and there was a slight panic in his eyes. Panic? Shame?

“Sorry,” She dropped the chord.

He stopped what he was doing, recognition flooding his face. “Fuck…FUCK…”

He sat back down on a couch and ran his hands down his legs before running one of them over his head.

“Shit Riley. Sorry.” He took a few deep breaths and closed his eyes.

“Look it’s not my place but…but if you took something I-“

 

“I didn’t take anything, Marin,” he said quietly, defeated. “Sit down. I guess there’s something else you should know…”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant celebrityj soloj enemiesturnedlovers