Riley hurried down the hall. Opening the door, she peaked her head in.


“Hey...They need you…”


“Now??” he asked, about to take a bite of food.


“Yeah...Show’s tomorrow so they wanna make sure everything is right in time…”


Justin looked down “Umm…”


“Justin...come on..It’ll be quick…” she urged. 


He made a face “Can you make the call?”


“I mean...I CAN...Do you trust me with that? It’s your blocking…”


He gave her a look “Marin...Do I trust you?? REALLY?”


Riley sighed “Fine. I’ll handle it.” She glanced at his plate “Don’t eat all the food. I haven’t had anything since breakfast…”


“I’ll make you a plate…” he teased.


“IDLE THREATS, JUSTIN…” she called as she walked away.




The stage edits handled, Riley walked backstage, finding Justin in the same place she had left him. She collapsed onto the couch next to him. 


“Still hungry?” He asked, nudging her with a plate.


She smiled “You actually got me food?”


“Said I would…” he shrugged. 


“Thank you.”


They sat talking while she ate, and Riley was grateful for his private room. He grabbed her hand, letting his fingers stay linked with hers.


“You look tired…” he said.


“I AM tired.” she laughed.


“Sorry you had to work…”


She shrugged “Part of the job. I just got kind of a promotion, too...Gotta make sure I stay on my boss’s good side…” she joked.


“You’re good. I’ll have a talk with him…” he grinned.


There was a knock at the door, and Justin dropped her hand, standing up.


“Uh...yeah?” he called.


Riley sighed. 


Game face, Riley. Time to hide.


**


“You sure you have to leave…?” Justin asked.


She stared at him. He wasn’t making it easy. Covered only halfway by the hotel comforter, he looked at her with bright blue eyes.


“We said a few shows…” she smiled. “Benji is probably already mad at me...and if I stay much longer…”


“Yeah...I know...You’re right…”


“Tour’s over soon... “ she reminded him.


“True.”


“Well...You know where to find me…” she smirked.


“Speed dial...My dreams….My bed?” He gave her a playful look.


“Hmmm...We’ll see” she bit her lip.


Riley wanted to stay with him. She thought she had done a pretty convincing job of being just his “assistant on call,” but if she was honest, it was draining. She needed time to herself to process it all. He was trying, but they had no choice but to switch on and off.


She knew she would still have to put on her professional hat more often than not, but maybe it would be easier after tour was over. 


**


6 Days. She hadn’t had a real conversation with him in 6 days.


They had a healthy text chain going, but she hadn’t heard his voice for longer than 5 minutes since the day after she got back to New York. 


Good Morning and/or goodnight messages. Like clockwork. Her phone had buzzed every day.


Every phone call felt rushed, though, as he continued to move from city to city.


She hated the way it was making her feel. She hated that she was thinking about it so much. 

She hated that half of those 5 minute conversations had been work related. 


This wasn’t who Riley was. A  needy...girlfriend? Was she his girlfriend? Were they even really dating?


Riley’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of her door buzzer. 


No one knew about her and Justin, and it was eating at her.


That was about to change. She knew privacy was important, but she knew she could trust both of them with ANYTHING.


She hit the door button for Katie and Emi and waited at an open door as they made their way up the stairs to her apartment. They each had two bottles of wine in hand.


“Isn’t that a little much…?” Riley questioned.


“You sounded upset…” Emi smiled  “We wanted to be prepared.”


“For all situations…” Katie nodded...showing Riley the bottle of tequila in her bag.


“Nooooo tequila...Not tonight…” she shook her head. 


Katie and Emi gave each other a knowing look as they walked inside.



Settling in with their pizza, Emi was the first to ask.


‘So...What’s the emergency, Ry...What’s going on…”


Riley took a deep breath. “Um...So the thing is...I’ve sort of been seeing someone and-”


Katie quickly swallowed her sip of wine and cut her off  “Justin...right…”


Emi looked at her with wide eyes.


“Katie!” Riley stared at her.


“...Am I wrong..?” she shrugged, a smug look on her face.


Riley looked down “Not exactly…”


Katie shook her head “You really thought I wasn’t gonna figure that out? ‘New York based,” but you picked up to be with him while he is on a tour that has been arranged for months?”


Emi snorted “ You should maybe be the one working for him, Carmen San Diego…”


“Oh SHUT UP,” Katie laughed “I’ve been WAITING for details, though...Are the rumors true…?”


“I am NOT answering that,” Riley took a long sip of wine as her face flushed.


Katie and Emi laughed.


‘So then yes…’ Emi whispered.


Riley shook her head “ANYWAY...Listen...That’s not why I called you guys.” 

She sighed “It isn’t working…”


Emi frowned “What do you mean…?”


“Well..It’s not like we can be open about it...and It’s not like I am *exactly* allowed to ...date...him…Not that we’re dating...Actually...I don’t really know WHAT we’re doing…”


Katie smiled “Did you sign an NDA?!”


Riley took a second to answer. “Maybe…”


Katie looked proud of herself. Fangirl and “music biz” aficionado.


“Sooooo….It’s weird? Are you sneaking around?!” Emi asked, excitement in her voice.


Riley groaned. “Yes! It’s weird...I mean one minute…”


Katie was grinning “Go on…”


“...One minute it’s...exciting and feels like...something? The next it’s all business and formality  and….I dunno…” Riley continued.


“Ry...Look. I don’t blame you for jumping on that but-”


“KATIE!” Riley blushed and covered her face.


Katie laughed “I’m SERIOUS. You KNOW I wouldn’t say no, but...Do you like him? Like...LIKE HIM, LIKE HIM…?”


Riley bit her lip, her nose scrunching up…”I...Maybe?”


Emi smirked “OH YEAH...She’s done…”


Katie sighed “Then you can’t work for him…”


“I love my job. I am GOOD at my job...REALLY good.”


“Riley...You’re good at every job you have ever had. You won’t let yourself not be…”


“This is different…”


“YEAH...Because you are hooking up with your boss…” Katie countered.


“She’s not wrong…” Emi agreed, covering up with a sip of wine.


Riley looked down. They were right. She had been thinking about it since she’d been back, but it still wasn’t easy to hear her two best friends echo what had been ringing in her head.


“I..I don’t know if I can, I mean...I don’t want to upset him…”


“Then just be honest with him…” Emi said. “If he likes you back...He’ll get it. You would have more...freedom…”


“Maybe...Maybe not…” Riley wondered.



Three bottles of wine, and some teasing of Riley later, the three of them were laughing at everything.



“BUT really, though...OUT OF THE THREE OF US...YOUUUU are the one that got the chance...WHAT IS LIFFEEE?” Katie slurred a little.


“It’s..always the ones you DON’T expect…” Emi nodded, raising her glass.


“Can I just like...Be his friend? Can we be friends, Riley?” Katie asked.


Riley laughed “I don’t know. He has friends...I might be his friend...FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS.” She was drunk. 


“RILEY STAWP. YOU’RE YOU. He likes you..He HAS TO…’ Katie whined.


“He should...Be more...specific..” Riley complained.


“Call him now and quit…” Emi handed her her phone with a floppy arm.


Riley slapped it away “OH MYGOD NO…”


“Can I call him?”


Riley giggled “NO!” 


The shuffled playlist they had on suddenly changed songs, and all three girls stopped, laughing.


Riley’s smile gave way as she started to sing “I brag abooout yoouuu…”


Katie pointed at her, laughing “Oh you are SO screwed…” 


*****

Riley unlocked the door and made her way into the apartment, flipping on a light switch instinctually to do her normal check.


Glancing around, the hair on the back of her neck stood up seeing an empty cup on the kitchen island, and a remote control thrown on the couch. 


His cleaner never missed a spot, and definitely had never used any of his stuff before.


Grabbing her phone, prepared to make a call, she slowly moved further into the kitchen. 


Someone had clearly gotten in. She was definitely not ready to fight off anyone, but wondered if anything else was out of place. The last thing she wanted to do is call him and freak him out if it was nothing serious.


“H-hello…” she asked quietly, looking around.


“Hey Marin…” he appeared in the kitchen from around the corner.


“OH MY GOD” she grabbed her chest. “Wait...JUSTIN?!”


He smiled “Surprise?”


She racked her brain.” What happened? Why are you here? You almost gave me a heart attack!”


He moved to her to pull her into his chest, laughing lightly “Glad you survived...Wanted to see you..” he shrugged.


“Sooo ...That tour you’re on…?”


“Private plane, Riley...Day trip”


She smiled “I may have forgotten. Haven’t heard your voice in awhile, so...memory fades…”


He leaned down to kiss her quickly “My fault...Need a reminder?”


She shoved him back lightly. “How long are you here.”


“Flying to St. Louis tomorrow..”


“...So what did you have in mind?” she raised an eyebrow at him.


“..You..” 


Riley rolled her eyes, and scrolled through her phone  “Pizza or tacos?” she asked.


**

Riley let her breathing slow down as she collapsed on top of him, head on his chest.


“Worth the trip…?” she teased.


He grinned at her “Stupid question…”


Riley smiled. Scooting herself down, she moved to sit on the couch. 


“Couple more weeks…” 


“Yeah...It’s been a good run..” he sat up next to her.


Riley was quiet.


And then what? She wondered silently. Back to business as usual? Had this all been some “on the road fantasy?” Were they going to tell anyone?


“You ok?” he interrupted her thoughts.


“Yeah...I’m...Actually...No…”


Concern washed over his face “What’s wrong…”


“Forget it...Sorry. We only have a day…”


“Riley…”



She sighed. “Justin...What are we doing here?”


“What do you mean…”


“I mean..I work for you..You’re..My boss...but I’m also-”


“My Riley..” he finished.


“What does that MEAN, Justin...You flew out here for ONE DAY just to see me?”


“Yeees…” he answered, meaning hidden in his tone.


“I can’t keep sneaking around like this...I’m sorry. I like you, Justin..I really like you, but I’m not a secret…”


Justin sighed “That’s fair...What do you wanna do?”


Riley bit her lip.


“Maybe I shouldn’t work for you…”


“What? What are you saying…”


“I’m saying...I can be your assistant or….your Riley. Not both.”


“You ARE both.”


“And I can’t do it…” she shook her head “One or the other.”


His eyes were wider “Riley...You can’t…”


“Which one, Justin…”


He looked down, playing with his hands. “Both.”


“NOT both...WHICH. One?” she repeated.


“Can we talk about this later…?” he looked at her, his eyes softer, conflicted.


His damn eyes. They held an unfair power. 


She had made up her mind, but those eyes left her speechless too often.


Taking a deep breath, she leaned forward to take his lips into hers. Every minute with him counted right now.


“Fine…”


***************

Riley sat across from Johnny and Justin. She had asked to see them both, knowing they would be in the state.


It was a trek for Riley to get to Buffalo, but this was too important. They had squeezed her in early before his show.


She had told Justin it was business related, just not why. For his part, he was excited to see her. It had been about a week since his day trip, and he hoped her hesitation had blown over. Maybe they could sneak away after the show. He owed her the discussion she wanted to have, and he was finally ready to have it. He knew they could figure something out. She was too important to him.


“Good to see you, Riley...What’s going on?” Johnny asked. 


Justin was watching her carefully. She looked nervous. 


Why did she look nervous?


“You too! Um...Well...I actually wanted to do this in person, so…” She took a deep breath, pulling an envelope from her bag. 


Handing it to him, she spoke again “I’m giving notice. Something has come up that will greatly affect my performance, and ..It’s in everyone’s best interest if I move on.”


Johnny took a deep breath “I see. Is there any way this could be resolved. You’ve done an excellent job, Ms. Marin.”


Riley smiled “Thank you. No, I don’t think there is a solution here. This is the best way.”


Justin was staring at her, eyes dark. His jaw was tight.

“Are you sure, Marin…”  His voice was monotone, controlled.


Riley met his gaze “I’m sure.”


“Can you give us a minute…” Justin looked to Johnny.


Nodding, Johnny got up “I’ll be outside”


Justin glared at Riley.


“Are you REALLY doing this?” he asked. 


Riley looked down “Yes. This is...the hardest thing I have ever had to do. But it’s the right thing to do.”


“How? How is it the right thing?”


“Justin...I can’t be with you while I WORK for you. It’s not right.”


“We can make it work, Riley. I don’t trust anyone more than you.”


Riley smiled “I know. That’s exactly why. It’s messy.”


“It’s not.”


“It is, Justin. Sneaking around. Trying to figure out how to act around everyone else. Going over schedules when all I want to do is get you alone somewhere… I can’t do it anymore…”


“You mean you won’t try…”


“EXCUSE me?” her tone changed. 


“I’ve seen you handle complicated. I have SEEN you do it. Are we not worth it?”


“Don’t do that...That’s NOT what I said…”


“Sure seems like its implied…”


“I’m not...leaving you I just-”


“You’re just leaving me high and dry. Got it” he barked.


“JUSTIN...Would you just LISTEN to me?!” She screamed.


“I’M LISTENING...I’VE BEEN LISTENING...to you BAILING…” 


“I’m not BAILING...I’m doing this for-”


“For WHAT...Because it’s too hard? Since WHEN do you back down from a challenge, Marin?!’


“JUSTIN...I’m trying to make this easier-”


“EASIER? This is your idea of EASIER.”


“YES. If I quit we can stop hiding!”


“If you quit, I will never see you!” he yelled.


“Whose fault would THAT be?!”


“I’m supposed to drop everything?!”


“What the FUCK...WHEN did I say that?!” Riley countered.


“Running away...Because its EASIER...That’s who you are now? “


“Justin…” Riley warned.


“No...No I get it...You’re just gonna give up who you are…Since when do you change for anything?!”


Hearing him say those words was it. Hearing him say the same thing to her Derek had triggered her. Just as quickly as he had calmed her fears and brought her back to herself, he had torn her down again. 


“...Fuck you, Justin…” Riley said, pools filling up her eyes. 


“Riley…” Justin’s eyes went wide as he reached for her hand.


“Don’t touch me.” Riley spoke softly “I have to go…” 


Wiping her eyes quickly, she grabbed her bag and coat, heading for the door.


“RILEY...WAIT…” He brushed her arm.


“Let me go, Justin…” her eyes warned.


Pulling his hand away, he took a breath as he watched her leave.


She found Johnny in the hall, thanking him one more time as he explained her final paycheck and paperwork she would need to fill out.  As she turned to leave he stopped her.

“Riley…” he said calmly.


Turning around she answered him. “Yes?”


“You’re doing the right thing...He’ll realize that. He will…” he winked. 


Riley’s heart jumped into her throat. He knew. Of course he knew.


“I...Thank you,” she shrugged. “It doesn’t matter now, does it?”


Johnny looked down, an understanding smile on his face.


“Take care of yourself...I mean that…”

 

Riley held herself together for one more minute. “I will. Goodbye, Johnny…”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant celebrityj soloj enemiesturnedlovers