Author's Chapter Notes:

Enjoy, friends! 

 

This one is meaty. :)

Riley sat next to Johnny and Lynn in a private recovery area. It had been a relatively quick procedure, and it had gone well. Justin’s mom had flown in for the weekend and was a nervous wreck, but had seemed to calm down a little once talking to Johnny. Now came the tricky part: Keeping Justin from talking.


Riley looked up when she heard the sound of wheels coming their way. He looked sleepy, but alert. Glancing around slowly, his eyes landed on her.


“Riiillleeeyyyy...Hiiieeeee” he whispered out hoarsely with a goofy smile on his face.

Lynn’s eyebrows raised as she looked over to Riley. 


Riley covered her mouth and bit her cheek to keep from laughing. The anesthesia had clearly had an effect, and she briefly considered grabbing a quick video for blackmail purposes.


“Justin. SHUT UP!” Johnny scolded through a quiet laugh.


He was met with a confused pout as Riley held her finger up to her mouth “Shhh. Quiet time.”


Lynn chuckled and joined in, “Justin, HUSH”


Justin looked irritated as he let out a breath, listening to the aftercare instructions along with Riley, Lynn, and Johnny.


“He’s gonna need a little extra help the first week. Soft foods, quiet environment. I am prescribing a mild painkiller, but there shouldn’t be too much discomfort. It’s a tiny incision. “ He held out a printed packet that Riley took.


“Any questions, contact information and a nurseline is on the back page. Do you have any questions for me now, though?”


“Physical activity?” Johnny asked?


“Very limited. Just to be safe. Normal day to day, but I’d avoid workouts or anything like that for the time being. We’ll look to start voice therapy in a couple weeks. Until then- A reminder- NO noise.” He looked at Justin “If you need to cough or sneeze, there are safe ways to do it.”


Riley paid attention as the doctor demonstrated, knowing there was little chance Justin was absorbing all of this.


She had her work cut out for her in the next few weeks.


As she thought this, Lynn spoke up “That sounds like a lot. Maybe I should stay a little longer.” She looked to Justin “I wanna make sure you’re good, honey…”


Reaching out to grab his mom’s hand, he lazily patted it, reassuring her with his eyes and nodded his head toward Johnny and Riley.


Riley was silent. She knew enough not to fight a protective mother. 


“Justin...I’m your mom. You need to let me take care of you sometimes”


Opening his mouth to speak, he caught himself, the anesthesia having worn off more. His eyes darted between Johnny and Riley.


“Lynn...He’ll be fine. He’s in good hands. There is no need to worry. Spend the weekend with him. I’ll be close and Riley...Well she’s definitely got this.”


Lynn sighed and looked to Riley “I’m a phone call away...I can be back in a heartbeat.”


Riley swallowed and smiled “What if I make sure he facetimes you once a week during recovery?”


Johnny looked down, stifling a giggle. Justin shot her a look.


Lynn’s eyes lit up “Perfect!” She looked back to Justin “I like her!”




***


Riley fumbled with the door. Keys in one hand, grocery bags bundled in the other. 


Shoving the door open with her body, she set the bags down temporarily on the floor, blowing the hair out of her face. 


Walking down the foyer into the living room, she scowled a bit.


“Have you moved today?” she called out to the pile of basketball short and hoodie on the couch. 


Moving his focus from the tv to her direction, he gave her a pointed look.


“K. Get up. You have legs. I need help”


He scribbled something on a whiteboard and held it up “I’m resting.”


Riley was happy to put the food she had gone out to get at his request away, but he had REALLY been milking this whole “recovery” thing. It had been a week, which meant at this point, he should be on his feet and just giving his voice and throat a bit of a rest.


“You had vocal surgery, not an amputation, Justin.”


Rolling his eyes, he forced himself up. Grabbing a bag, he set it on the kitchen island and reached inside. Pulling out a 4 pack of pudding cups, his face fell.


“They didn’t have butterscotch...because its 2018, not 1987”


Justin shot her daggers and moved on to the rest of the bag. Staring inside, he made a satisfied face and started to put the contents in their appropriate homes.


“Any pain today?” He shook his head no.



“Good. Have you had to cough?”


He held up 1 finger, stopped to reconsider, then nodded in confirmation.


“Alright.” Riley walked over to the hall table and picked up a notebook to write something. 


Catching up to her, he grabbed the notebook from her and gave her a questioning look.


“I’m keeping track...monitoring progress.”


He grabbed a pen and wrote on a blank page, holding it up for her to see.


I’m fine.


Riley smirked “Are you? I thought you were ‘resting?,’ “ she air quoted.


Caught, he handed the notebook back to her and moved to pick up another bag. 


“So you start vocal exercises next Friday. I’ll meet you here for each session and we can head out. “


Justin nodded.


Riley smiled “I kind of like you this quiet,” she joked.


He squinted his eyes at her, walking back to the couch. 


****

Riley fished her phone out of her pocket, rolling her eyes.


6 texts in a row.


Riley, where are you?

I can’t find the honey.... 

Nevermind...Got it.

When do you think you’ll be here?

Can you order more bottled water?

Riley...?



Sighing, she typed her reply


Long line. Be there in about 15 minutes. Will order water when I get there.


On top of his surgery recovery, Justin had somehow caught a cold. The vocal therapy was going well, but had he been able to actually talk, he may have claimed he was actually dying. 


Riley felt like she had basically only been home to feed Benji or crash into her bed for the night.

She felt bad he could not cough or sneeze freely, but was also ready to throw him out a window.


Walking into his apartment, she found him under a blanket on his couch. 


“Ok. Soup’s here !”


He stared at her dramatically, pulling the blanket farther up over himself. 


“Justin...I know this sucks, but seriously...You aren’t dying…”


He pushed the blanket down and grabbed the whiteboard to answer.


I mean...I might be. 


Riley rolled her eyes. “Fine, but I just waited in a long line for this, so try some before you go…”


Justin mouthed “Ha ha”  as he took the container from her. Opening it, he sniffed it and then gave her a questioning look.


“It’s Matzoh ball soup...with chicken. Jewish Penicillin”


Justin set the soup down and wrote, a confused look on his face.


Are you Jewish?


Riley laughed “No...but I AM a New Yorker. Just trust me on this one. Eat.”


Justin shrugged and slowly started the soup. Riley ate her own, enjoying the silence.


“Riley,” she heard him whisper.


“Justin! Stop.” She pointed to the whiteboard. “Use that.”


Making a face, he wrote and held up the board.


Is there ice cream left?


“I don’t know. Is there? You know where your freezer is, right?”


Huffing, he got up and made his way to the kitchen.


“Keep doing that, you’ll be stuck not talking longer,” she called after him. 


Opening the freezer door, he glared back at her before searching the shelf.  Waving at her, he pointed at the lack of ice cream.


Riley sighed. “I’ll get some more when your cold is over”


Justin’s eyes were dark, annoyed, as he made his way back over to the whiteboard.


It makes me feel better, Marin…


“I. Know. that. “ she said through a tight mouth.”But I am doing the best I can here, Justin.”


Nodding at her, he gave her a doubtful look.


“OKAY. Listen Timberlake. I know this is hard for you, but you are making it hard for everyone else, too. You have me running around like crazy, for the most RIDICULOUS stuff. How about take it down a notch and stop acting like a five year old…”


His eyes were fire now as he clenched his fists in frustration.


“Stop, Justin. I’m leaving. I’ll be back tomorrow for your appointment. There’s pudding in the fridge. Eat that.”


**

Making her third trip to his apartment in one day, Riley took deep breaths to calm herself down. First he needed  more cold medicine because the first one “tasted funny,” then he got hungry, and finally he wanted to go over travel details for his upcoming rescheduled tour dates.


The last one being pretty important, Riley was not in the position to really complain about it, but she did have a plan.


Riley pulled her rollerbag through the door, being careful to clear the carrier she was wearing.


She was met in the foyer by Justin, who had been expecting her. As he stared at the rollerbag, she answered the question in his eyes.


“I’m staying here until you’re cleared. “ she said.


Justin’s eyes got wide and he opened his mouth to try to whisper.


“Shhh. It’s happening. It’s easier. I spoke to Johnny and he agrees. I can’t keep going back and forth over the bridge, and you have the room.”


Justin looked from her to the carrier on her shoulder, which had started to move.


Riley smirked, putting the carrier down “THIS...is Benji.” 

She unzipped the front mesh panel “I couldn’t leave him alone, so...Don’t worry, he’s housetrained.”


Benji made his way out of the carrier slowly, shifting around. Justin smiled, crouching down and reaching his arm out, and he trotted right over, jumping up onto his knees with his front paws.


“Hey! ...Down, Benj!” Riley spoke firmly. 


Justin waved her off, scratching Benji behind the ears. 


“Okaaay then...I’m gonna go get my stuff in the guest room. You ok with him in here for a bit?”


Justin nodded. 


“Great. I brought the travel arrangements. Think of what you want for dinner while I unpack.” She turned and made her way to the staircase.


Watching her, Justin shook his head. She was unbelievable. And he was starting to realize that was exactly what he needed.

**


Riley woke up and yawned, slamming her alarm. She had gotten used to her temporary room. Staying at his place had proven much easier, even if it came with the occasional argument. The time saved commuting meant she actually had some down time.


Justin had seemed to relax a little having her that close. He didn’t have to text her every time he needed something. They had fallen into a rhythm, even taking time to get to know each other a little more, Riley with her words and Justin with a pen and his eyes. Riley had started to understand him more than ever before, which ultimately made things easier.


“Morning, Benj!” she called and looked down at the foot of the bed. He had adjusted fairly quickly, sleeping at the foot of the bed, just like he usually did at home.


This morning, though, he was missing.


“Benji? Where are ya, buddy?”


Getting up, she searched the room and the hall. Nothing. Making her way downstairs, she stopped short as she saw him. Curled up in Justin’s lap on the couch.


Traitor… she thought.


“Well...Good morning. Looks like you have a new friend…”


Justin looked up, eyes dancing with amusement. Benji lifted his head, tongue hanging out in a smile.


“Ok, little dude...Come on...breakfast.”


Benji whimpered and buried his head back down into Justin’s waist. Smiling, Justin shrugged.


Riley shook her head. “Men…” Shuffling to the kitchen, she started breakfast. 


--


Riley finished up breakfast dishes and turned to walk into the living room, only to find Justin staring at her.


“JESUS…” she stumbled back a bit “Ok creepy…”


He smiled and started to laugh as she stopped him “Hey hey hey...STOP. No! No laughing.” 


He rolled his eyes and held up his whiteboard.


Stop being perfect. Relax a little.


Riley shook her head “Noooot perfect. I just can’t stand a dirty sink.”


Justin quickly erased the board and scribbled something new.


Overachiever, he smirked.


Riley sighed. “I can leave, ya know…”


He shook his head No and pointed at the tv, scooting over on the couch. 


She sat down next to him.


“Stop saying things like that. Seriously. This is my job, Justin. Just making things easy on myself. I’m not a robot…”


Justin smiled and wrote again ...You take care of EVERYTHING. Own it.


“Stop…”


She was hiding more than he knew, and the guilt had been eating at her.


Justin shrugged, a smirk on his face.


She couldn’t take it anymore. He had to know. He had to understand why she kept herself so guarded. It was the only way she was going to be able to relax and move on. She took a deep breath before she could stop herself. 


“I...I slept with Derek…”


His eyes went wide as he snapped his head to look at her and he opened his mouth before catching himself, letting her continue.


“In March...Just once I...Met up with him while you were on tour and...I don’t know what happened….I’m such an idiot. I know I am. He’s still with her. The girl he cheated on me with...and I fell for his bullshit. Again. So I’m really not who you think I am. Put together Riley. In control Riley. Uptight Riley. I’m a mess…”


Justin steadied his breathing. He wanted so badly to be able to talk to her right now. To tell her she wasn’t a mess. To tell her she deserved better. That she wasn’t an idiot. That any time she opened up even a little bit, he always wanted to hear more. That he didn’t know what he would do without her.


But he couldn’t tell her. Not the way he wanted to. He wondered if he could even find the words with a full voice. 


She watched his eyes change color as he wrote, then held up the white board.


Not a mess. Perfectly Riley.


She didn’t know what to say. Perfectly Riley. What did that even mean? It had been a long few weeks. Actually, it had been a long couple years. She couldn’t remember exactly who “Riley” was anymore, realizing for the first time it had been too long since she had thought about it. She had been too busy. Who she used to be. What she used to want. Where she was headed in life. 


She was exhausted. Physically and mentally. He had brought her to a breaking point. Why was she trying so hard? Why did he trust her so much? Why didn’t she want to disappoint him? 


“I’m not…” she said quietly “I haven’t been. Not really.”


He wrote again: I know…


Erasing and writing again, this time he held up 

At the bar? Tequila night. Was that her?


Riley smiled, biting her lip “Maybe?” 


Justin smiled and rewrote

She was pretty cool…


Riley laughed and wiped at the tears that had formed in her eyes “Oh GOD...Sorry…”

She had embarrassed herself. 


Justin shook his head, reaching out to wipe the rest of her tears away with a napkin. 


She smiled and giggled a little as new ones formed. “Oh my GOD what is wrong with me,” she huffed. 


Moving away for long enough to write, Justin held up his reply.


Nothing…

Throwing the white board onto the table, he closed the distance between them, kissing her softly. 


Closing her eyes, she melted against his lips, feeling herself relax as a few last tears fell.

Reaching his hands up to frame her face, he brushed them away with his thumbs.

Riley reached up to rest her hand on his arm as he deepened the kiss, her arms slowly finding their way around his neck. Sliding his hands down, they felt their way down her body as she gently ran her fingers through the slight wave starting to form in his hair.


She felt her heart start to race as his breathing started to get heavier, her own breath picking up to match.


Gently grabbing her waist, she felt him pull away, his breath against her mouth. Opening her eyes, she looked into his. They were crystal blue, soft and kind. With her own, she questioned him. 


Cupping the side of her face with one hand, he smiled gently at her, his eyes conveying something new now. Somehow, she knew exactly what he was trying to say.


He stared at her, deliberately ignoring his instinct. She was beautiful. Her brown eyes like honey in the moment. Messy dark waves framing her face as they grazed his hand. She was also tired. She was worn out. She hadn’t stopped since he met her, and she needed rest. He needed her.


One last brush of her lips, he reached for the white board, smiling, one more time as she bit her lip.

 

Riley...Go to bed…



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant celebrityj soloj enemiesturnedlovers