Riley stared at her half empty cup. She wasn’t sure how much more time she could kill.


The last few conversations with Justin had been like pulling teeth. He was getting ready for the European leg of the tour, and Riley had been asked to assist with travel arrangements, in addition to any appearances or interview on the break. It was keeping her busy, for which she was grateful, but Justin had been back in NYC for 3 weeks, and she had only seen him in person 3 times. 


Got Germany flight rebooked.” Riley had texted him. “Simple misunderstanding. You’re good to go! :)


She sat waiting for a reply, which usually came immediately. This time, 15 minutes had passed.


Thank you.

His reply seemed uneventful. Clipped.


Don’t forget about us boring Americans while you are overseas…;

 

As soon as she sent it, she took a large gulp of her coffee and covered her face with her hand. She was reaching, and she knew it. 


Had she done something wrong? No “Marin” for at least 2 weeks, and he seemed...distracted all the time?


Riley’s thoughts shifted to Katie’s gossip. She knew Yolanda would be joining him on tour. She also knew he had worked with her again, and had overheard Johnny asking him about a session in New York while he was back.A session she hadn’t been asked to coordinate. She wanted to know what was going on, but figured it wasn’t her place to ask.


On the other end, Justin grabbed his phone as it chirped. Smiling as he looked at it, he started a reply, quickly backspacing before he gave himself a chance to send it. He knew Riley had been uncertain since the Star Ceremony in LA, and was doing his best to remain professional. The tour was going well, and Riley was an amazing assistant. He didn’t want to rock the boat or give the wrong impression.


Yolanda stirred in the bed next to him, the sun hitting her skin in highlight as she woke up. Seeing his face, a wistful smile now as he carefully considered whatever he was writing, she studied him. He was focused, almost too purposefully, but casual. Who was he texting?


“Good morning…” she smiled, catching his attention.


“Hey..” he smiled back “Travel arrangements…it never ends…” he gestured as he held up his phone.


Yolanda nodded “Riley?”


“Yeah...A few of the flights got rescheduled...All good now, though…”


“Good. I can’t imagine managing your schedule. Mine looks crazy enough. I hope you pay her well,” she answered.


Justin smiled “Yeah...maybe not enough…”


He looked back to his phone, replying to Riley's message.

 

Nope. Won’t. See you in October.


Riley opened her text messages, sighing. 


“You did ask him to be professional.” she thought to herself. Finishing her coffee, she decided to call it a day and plan for a night in. Benji was always happy to see her, anyway.


***

The August sun peaked through the window. No one had warned Yolanda that Europe didn’t believe in air conditioning, but two months later, she was almost used to it. It had been an amazing trip. 


Justin had been right, and she had clicked naturally with the other singers, dancers, and the crew. They had honestly become friends she hoped she would keep in touch with. The level of talent was unlike anything she had ever been a part of, and living her dream on this scale would never get old. 


Then there was Justin himself. They were spending more and more time together, evenly divided between working on music and exploring their physical attraction. It didn’t feel serious. She didn’t need it to. They had a rhythm she understood. In a lot of ways, they were a lot alike.


Yolanda was falling more in love with creating beats the more she worked with him, and he was enjoying filling in the missing pieces. 


Having locked down the beat she planned on releasing as her commercial debut, she was excited to hear the lyrics Justin had offered to write, meeting him at a London studio on their day off.


“You wanna read ‘em, or…” Justin asked as they got the small studio set up.


Yolanda smiled “Or you could sing them? I wanna hear what they sound like against the beat…”


“Alright,” Justin grinned. He headed into the booth, pulling the headphones over his ears. 


“I like being on the other side - feels good,” Yolanda teased behind the control board.


Justin laughed “It’s good practice...You’re gonna be doing a lot of it soon…”


Yolalnda shook her head, still humbled by his confidence in her “Just sing, Justin…”


He smiled as the track started, and settled right into the beat as he sang.Yolanda was quiet, focused on the harmony. As the lyrics unfolded, a theme jumped right out at her.


The analogy was clever. Justin’s signature sense of wordplay was onvious. He had done a great job comparing the feeling of being in love to having had too much to drink.


“...God paid extra attention/ when he put that face on you/my head is pounding/my heart is aching too/what I wouldn't give/for another shot of you…”


She held her reaction. The song was good. She could hear her voice on it. 


“...That smile got me spinning/like I had too much 901/You said keep it on ice/but we've only  just begun…It’s not on the schedule, but I’m thinkin’ that it could be fun...Nobody else is smooth like you. That’s why I stay sippin’ on you...Another shot won’t hurt me, No...I just want another shot of you…


Yolanda listened, and watched as he continued, He meant what he was singing. She could see it in his face. 


Tequila? She didn’t drink tequila. Couldn’t be about her. Could it?


Their relationship was casual. They had never even discussed expectations, so it had seemed implied things were “cool" between them.


“Schedule.” The word jumped out at her immediately, as a flood of memories of the last two months came to her. 


The way he smiled at certain texts. The way it took him too long to answer them. How immediately he knew he could ask her for anything, and it would get done. The chocolate he had bought her in Germany as a “thank you,” ultimately deciding not to send it.

The look on his face any time he hung up after a brief conversation with her.


He had called her his “right hand,” and Yolanda herself had spoken with her to set up studio sessions. She was clearly incredible at her job, but Yolanda got the sense there was more to it.


She clicked off the track.


“So...What do ya think?” he smiled at her.


“It’s...It’s perfect…” Yolanda replied.


He pulled off the headphones and stepped out of the booth.


“Yeah? Obviously whatever you wanna tweak. It’s just an idea, honestly…”


“It’s really good...Justin…”


“Yeah?” he asked, grabbing a seat next to her, hand on the small of her back.


“Those lyrics...Who are they about…”


His expression changed. Cautiously, he spoke “Uhh...I don’t know they just...came to me, I guess...You said you wanted to sing about love...something different, so…”


Yolanda stood up, sighing “Justin...I love the song. It’s a perfect fit for me...but...It’s not about me…”


“I -I’m sorry I thought we-”

“We’re FINE, Justin. Really. This ...What we’ve been doing ...It’s been a lot of fun, but…”

“...But?” His eyes were searching, confused.

“...But you want Riley..”


His eyes went wide as he looked at her “What?! No...No it’s not like that. She’s my assistant. That’s all.” 


Yolanda shook her head, smiling “No, it’s not. This song. It’s about her, isn’t it? 


“What?! No…” he breathed.


“You can’t see your face when she texts you, or when you see something that reminds you of her. You reach out to her for the smallest favors, even halfway across the world.”


“Yolanda…”


“LISTEN,” she cut him off “I have followed your career for years, and the thing I respect most about you is that you always go after what you want musically. Even when it’s the weird choice. The unexpected choice. You need to do that for yourself, too, Justin...not just your career.”


Justin shook his head and looked at her “No. That’s not what’s happening here. She’s great at what she does. I get along with her, but what we have…”


“Stop. Please? Justin, you aren’t breaking anyone’s heart here. I like you. I like working with you and, well, everything else has been...hott, but I won’t be your second choice. And I don’t think you’re the kind of guy that wants to actually do that…”


Justin was speechless for a second, running his hands down his pants before replying.


“Things are a lot more complicated than you think…”


“So uncomplicate them. I’m not bailing on you. You think I am gonna walk away from my big break? Not a chance! You make me better than I ever have, and the opportunity you’ve given me I...I am still not sure I deserve it.”


“You do…” He said sincerely.

 

“I’m doing my best to believe that, and I will keep working hard, but you need to be honest with yourself. All these songs about love, Justin...Don’t you think you deserve to at least TRY in real life?”


Justin smiled “You realize this is making you even hotter, right…”

 

Yolanda shook her head “Shop’s closed. Unless you have more lyrics,” she smiled.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant celebrityj soloj enemiesturnedlovers