Author's Chapter Notes:

Dear Readers...Just trust me... ;)

Justin laughed, trying not to choke on his mouthful of food. He and Yolanda had decided to grab takeout and hang out a little while longer. She had been telling him about all the crazy experiences she had had trying to build her career.


“...So all this is still a little hard to believe. I mean I would do anything to sing, but...I sort of always figured I’d be stuck doing bar mitzvahs, demos,  and birthday parties…”


“Voice like that? Nah. Just takes time …”


“Well...I’m here...with you..That’s something..” she smiled.


Justin smiled back “Happy to help...Hey...Would you wanna come to a show...Check out how things happen...Maybe hang out?”


“That would be great!”


“How long are you in Florida...Can you get to Sunrise on the 19th?”


She smirked “I think I can do that. “


He handed her his phone “Let’s make sure I can get ahold of you…” 


***

Justin’s phone chirped as he stepped out of the shower. Looking down, he saw a text from Riley.


Never Heard back from you...How’d the studio session go?


Justin smiled to himself “Pretty damn good…” he said under his breath. 


Went well. I think Yolanda is gonna be HUGE, he answered.


Glad it worked out. “Off Duty” for now. ;) Have a good show tonight.


Talk soon, Marin. Say hi to Benji!

 

Riley set her phone down on her coffee table and picked up her laptop. Curiosity had gotten the better of her and she found herself headed to google to search for Yolanda.


Finding a few more results than she expected, she clicked on the first one. An instagram account. 


It was impressive. Someone had clearly taken a lot of effort to curate the account, and give the visitor a pretty good idea of her brand. Clicking on the video posts, she took a journey through Yolanda’s catalogue and small gigs, going back as far as 2013. She really was the real deal.


Riley hit the back button on her browser and made her way through an official website, and an image search that placed Yolanda at various community events, gigs, and parties. 


She was pretty. REALLY pretty. Nothing like Riley style-wise. She took more risks in that department, and had a casual mystery about her that threw Riley off as she sat on her couch in sweats and dirty hair. She compared it to Yolanda’s curls, which seemed to be restyled quite often according to her mood. Always experimenting, it seemed. 


Yeah, she could see why Justin had been intrigued. As she began to wonder what had really happened in the studio and why he had made it such a point to squeeze the session in, she silently scolded herself, shutting her laptop and reaching for her tv remote, instead. 


“He’s a musician, Riley. Stop being weird…”


**

Yolanda carefully made her way down the hall, not knowing exactly where to go. She wasn’t a stranger to backstage chaos, but the show had JUST ended, so she wasn’t even sure Justin would be around just yet. 


Feeling a little out of place, she texted the number he had given her at the studio.


Hey. Made it to the back...You around?


Her phone chirped back. 


Third room down the hall. Be right there.


Yolanda walked into what looked to be a common area, and smiled at the 3 people sitting on the couch. Curiosity crossed their faces, but after smiling and waving back, they went back to their conversation.


Justin walked in, smiling.


“Hey! You made it!” He hugged her. “Ahhh...Sorry..I’m kinda gross…”


Yolanda laughed “Well yeah you never stopped! That was a really fun show!”


“Glad you enjoyed it...Let me get cleaned up and then we can chill?”


“Sounds good.”


He walked her over to introduce the crew hanging out in the room, who found easy conversation with her talking about common acquaintances and her music. 


What seemed like no time later, Justin walked back in the room, dressed casually in a hoodie and gray joggers with a beanie. 


“Backstage tour?” Justin winked at Yolanda?


“Sure...Great to meet you all,” she smiled at the group she had been talking to.


**


As they walked the empty stage, Yolanda found herself in awe. She never imagined this is what would have happened by going to one listening party. Then again, she had always heard big breaks come at the strangest times when you least expect it. 


Justin was happy to focus on her smile. She was comfortable in her skin, and probably had no idea what a natural star she already presented herself as. 


“Thank you, Justin...for this..for the studio..Just thank you. This is...This is really something.”


“Well...So are you..” he stared at her. 


Yolanda shuffled on her feet, unsure of what to say. “I’m trying to be…” As she tried to step back naturally, her foot caught a slick spot and before she knew it she was headed backwards off balance. 


Justin moved quickly, grabbing her waist awkwardly to keep her upright. Shaken for a second, she steadied herself against him to stand, and saw him looking at her.


“You ok…?” he asked, eyes scanning her reaction.


“Yeah...Good now...Thanks…”


“No problem…” he trailed “Uh...guess we should um…” he gestured toward the exit stairs.


“Probably a good idea…” Yolanda smiled. 


Taking her hand to guide her, they caught each other’s eyes...noticing it at the same time. 

Pulling her back toward him, Justin placed a light peck on her lips, stopping himself.


“Sorry, I…”


“Uh...No that’s...fine..” Yolanda grinned. “I...liked it…”


Justin grinned back, moving back toward her to finish the kiss. 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant celebrityj soloj enemiesturnedlovers