Author's Chapter Notes:

The plot thickens. ;)

Riley sat silent in the car. She didn’t know what to say, or if he even wanted to talk about what had happened. JC had seemed awfully interested in her opinion, and Jen had made it a definite point to introduce herself to her. Riley wondered exactly what everyone thought, and wondered how exactly her working relationship with Justin would change.



Truthfully, the last few months had been a whirlwind. True to her nature, she had handled it all in stride, focusing on responsibility to distract herself from her thoughts. Her new life was keeping her busy enough to feel “normal,” but she couldn’t shake the slight hint of fear she felt any time she started to relax. What was she afraid of, and why did he still make her a little nervous?


This break in action could be a good thing for her.


Justin would be headed to Arizona separately to continue his tour, while Riley would go home. They wouldn’t be seeing each other for months. Maybe the distance would erase any uncertainty, she thought.


“Marin...MARIIIINNN…” his voice broke her from her thoughts.


“What? Uh...sorry…” She came to.


“You ok?”


‘Yeah...Fine...Great trip...Just a little tired. Big day…”


“Uh huh… Big day…” He looked at her cautiously.


“Look...Justin, I don’t want you to think I-”


“Riley,” he shook his head “Don’t do that. We’re good...Remember?”


“Yeah. I remember. It’s just...on Ellen…”


Justin smiled and looked down “Yeah...Yeah that was kind of weird...Marin, no one knows anything. I promise. It’s...not going to be an issue…”


“It...can’t be.” She looked at him seriously.


“I know.” It was his turn to be sincere.


“I need this job…”


His heart sank a little, realizing how close they had come to making both of their lives complicated. 


“You’re not losing it, Marin. You’re too good at it. I need you.”


Riley smiled and leaned on sarcasm. “Yeah...You kind of do…”


***


Riley excused herself quickly, salon robe still on. She had been enjoying the light duty that Justin being away had afforded her. Apart from checking in on his apartment, and text check-ins to see how the tour was going, she really hadn’t had to do much. She was thoroughly enjoying pampering herself when her phone rang. Looking down, she made a face.


“I’m sorry...I have to take this quickly…” she apologized.


“No problem, hun..I’m gonna go get started on her color and come back…” her hairdresser gestured at another client.

Riley nodded then clicked answer “Justin, what’s up?”


“Hey! Marin...Got a minute?”


“For you? I’ll give you 5,” she joked.


She heard him audibly smirk. “Need your help again.”


“Do I need to fly out somewhere? 


“No, just make some calls. You remember that artist...Yolanda?”


“Sure...from the listening party…” Riley answered. She actually remembered a lot more about her. Mainly the way her and Justin had looked at each other during their studio session.


“Right. Well...The label is getting close to picking her up. Johnny liked my idea of working with her a little more on her demos.”


“Ok. Where do I come in?”


“She’s gonna be in Miami for a new artist showcase. I figured it would be a great time to get her in the studio out there. Great setup for that kind of thing. I need you to help me book some time and arrange cars.


Riley quickly scanned his schedule in her brain “Do you have time for that, Justin?”


“It’s gonna be tight, but I can be in Miami on the 16th...Show is on the 18th. We’ve made bigger squeezes happen…”


Riley sighed. “You are trying to kill me, Timberlake…”


“No...I just know you can get it done…” he smiled into the phone. “Please?”


“I’ll take care of it, Justin...I gotta go. I’ll confirm when I get home.”


“Out and about?” he asked.


“Just a haircut. Nothing exciting.”


“Don’t do anything crazy, Marin. I have to be seen with you.” Justin teased.


“NO ONE sees me…” she laughed “And you have NO right to talk about bad hair choices…”


“Ouch,” he laughed. “That wasn’t even fair…”


“Goodbye, Justin…” she laughed. “I’ll update you later.”

***


“Hello Marin…” Justin answered his phone.


“Are you in the car?” Riley asked.


“So on top of things. Yes. On my way. About 10 minutes out.”


“Ok. She got there early, so she will be out front. Remember you’re on a tight schedule, Justin. I can’t shove you out the door from my apartment…” Riley laughed.


“Ohhh I’m pretty sure you could find a way…” Justin joked.


“Don’t make me have to, Justin..” Riley laughed. “I’ll check in later.”


“Bye Riley.”


Justin leaned back on the back seat on the way to the studio. For other people, this might be the last thing they wanted to be doing in the middle of a world tour, but he was a workaholic. Creating music was his happy place, and watching an artist develop from the ground up was a way of giving back for him. He remembered starting out, and all the nerves and excitement associated with it.


The car pulled up to the studio and he saw Yolanda outside right away. Her hair was pulled up, perfect dark coils on top of her head. Effortless. Her long, bright maxi dress was dressed down by a dark denim jacket that served more toward fashion than the sunny Miami weather. Even just standing there, she commanded attention. 


Getting out of the car, he greeted her. “Early again…” he smiled, getting her attention.


“I aim to please..” she smiled “..and I hate being late...It surprises people, but I’m not usually what people expect, anyway…”


Justin grinned. “Is that right?”


Yolanda smirked “Guess you’ll find out.”


“Let’s get inside..” Justin answered, intrigued.


Once inside the studio, Justin greeted an engineer, and made sure everyone was comfortable. 


“Should we start with the single?” he asked Yolanda.


“Sure… I think the track is solid...But not sure on the vocal. I keep going back and forth on some things…”


“Well let’s hear it…” The engineer spoke up. He cued up the track and an upbeat rhythm began. 


“This is hott..” Justin commented.


Yolanda smiled “Thanks…”


“This you?” he asked “The beat…”


Yolanda nodded “I made it.”


The engineer looked up, impressed “Damn, girl…”


Yolanda’s voice filled the room as they all sat and listened. Justin leaned over, focused, moving to the beat as he moved his head to listen intently. The track finished and he spoke up.


“That’s not bad at ALL. Honestly?” he looked at Yolanda.


“Please..?” she offered.


“You’re holding back...on the hook. You’ve got more, don’t you?”


“Maybe…”


“Get in there…” He gestured toward the booth.


She noted the shift in his tone. In the zone. Intense. It became clear to her how he was able to have amassed such a large catalogue of work, and worked with so many artists.


‘Pick it up from the first verse..” he instructed the engineer, who took his direction.


“Go Off...pretend we’re not here…” He looked at Yolanda. His blue eyes were vivid, piercing. 


HOW was she supposed to pretend he wasn’t there?!


Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and steadied herself, starting the hook. As she got halfway through, the music stopped, startling her eyes open.


“No. Again.” Justin spoke evenly.


The track restarted from the same spot, and Yolanda again steadied herself and sang, before getting cut off again.


“Like you mean it... “ Justin’s voice guided her again.


Pulling the headphones off, she spoke “I DO mean it…” she stared right at him.


Justin smiled “Good. Then make me believe it…”


The track began again and Yolanda’s gaze was pointed, darker. She was annoyed, and had worked too hard for too many years to not be taken seriously. She closed her eyes and started again, this time making it through the entire hook.


The track clicked off and Justin spoke again.


“There it is!”


Yolanda opened her eyes, thrown off. “Did you just come for me on purpose?”


Justin smirked “Maybe…”


“...Did it work?” she asked. 


“You tell me…” he said quietly, pressing play. 


Yolanda listened as she heard herself like she never had before. Her voice was strong. Forceful, but sincere. The message in the lyric was CLEAR.


“...Is there a filter on that…?” she breathed.


“Nope. All you…” Justin smiled, and she returned it.


“...Oh you’re dangerous…” she laughed.


“So are you…” he answered.


“Keep that…” he turned to the engineer, all business again. 


“Let’s talk about the verse…” he turned back to her. 


“The verse is fine…”


“Is it?” he cocked his head to the side.


She gave him a look, clearing her throat and adjusting the headphones “Fine...play me in…”


She had always heard he was a perfectionist, but experiencing it in person was a whole new level.


Making it to the end of the song, two hours later, the engineer was wrapping up. “We good?” he asked.


“Yeah man, thanks again...We’re gonna hang out a minute, but you can head out, “ Justin locked hands with him, giving him a quick goodbye.


“We are?” Yolanda gave him a look as the engineer headed out.


“Yeah...I mean if you want to…” 


“Long day,” Yolanda returned briefly.


Justin smiled “Too much for you?”


“For me? No. Too much for you? Sure as hell seemed like it..”


She was annoyed. He was amused. 


“Used to everyone praising you all the time. Huh?”


“EXCUSE ME?” she snapped.


“You heard me. You can sing your ass off. Or we wouldn’t be here right now. But here’s where it gets harder…”


“I’m WELL aware of how hard it gets…” Yolanda stated.


“You’re not. You have NO idea. You will, though, and I don’t think you’re going anywhere…”


“You’re damn right I’m not. You have no idea what I’ve been through…” she stared at him.


His mouth fell into an automatic lazy smile “I’d like to…” His eyes softened slowly, getting brighter.  He sat down casually, waiting for her reply.


“I wouldn’t mind getting some food…” she said calmly.


Justin smiled “Food sounds good.”






You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant celebrityj soloj enemiesturnedlovers