Author's Chapter Notes:

:)


“Something to drink?” 


The flight attendant interrupted Riley’s book and she looked up. “Oh uh...Yes thank you. Coffee?”


“Cream and sugar?” the woman smiled at her. 


“Both, please. Thank you…” Riley smiled back. 


“You know there’s tequila, right, Marin?” Justin teased from behind the flight attendant. 


“It’s nine o ‘ clock in the morning, Justin…” Riley laughed.


The flight attendant shared the laugh and left to get Riley’s beverage. Justin slid into the seat next to her. 


“Eh...Details…” He shrugged. “Just kidding. You comfortable?”


Riley was sitting in the back section of the 3 cabin private flight. It was nicer than any trip she had ever taken, with each area resembling more of a lounge than public transportation. Creamy off white leather seating was carefully arranged among shiny wooden detailing and accent furniture. She hadn’t been sure what to expect, but she had to admit , she felt pretty important.


“I should be asking you that…” Riley answered. 


Justin looked around “Well...Yeah...I’ve done this before…”


“And what makes you think I haven’t?” Riley sat up straight and put her book down on the finished wooden table in front of her. 


“Your eyes…” he said.


“My EYES?”


“When we boarded. The way you looked around.”


“...It’s a nice plane.”


Justin smiled “Uh huh. Anyway, you’re not on duty right now so...ya know...just relax.”


“Neither are you…” she countered.


“Touche...What are you reading…?”


“A book…”


“Fascinating...Does it have a name?”


Riley held up the book.


“The Woman in the Window” he read aloud. “Any good?”


“So far. Suspenseful…” she laughed lightly. 


“A thriller?… Hmm...Wouldn’t have guessed that…”


“What?”


“I dunno, Marin you just ...seem…”


“Uptight?”


“NO...No, not uptight….Careful…”


“Careful?”


“Yeah...But I mean...Kind of why you’re here ?”


Riley smirked “...Not always careful, Justin. Just. Focused.” Her mind briefly drifted to all the drama with Derek over the past few months. Drama she didn’t want to talk about with him.


“Focused... Ok.” he smirked back “Good, then…” He stared at her for a second.


“...Can I help you with something?” she stared back.


“Mind if I chill here for a bit? Johnny never stops working up there. Gets a little boring…”


“Fine by me. I might be boring too, though…”


He snorted. “Hardly…”


Riley felt herself go a little red. She knew she had slipped up a couple times, maybe shown herself too much. She made a mental note to be more self-aware as his assistant. 


“What does that mean?”


“Nothing. You’re good to have around, Marin. It was actually kind of weird not to see you the last few weeks.”


“We talked. Everything got handled that needed to, Justin…”


“Yeah..No..I know it did, I just meant...nevermind.”


Riley smiled “...You missed me?”


She looked mighty pleased with herself, and Justin thought back to the stubborn woman who wouldn’t back down that night at Johnny’s offices. The Riley that knocked back tequila like it was water, and gave only as much information as she wanted to.


“...Maybe a little…”


Riley shook her head. “Can’t even handle yourself for a month, Timberlake... “ she teased. 


“Okay, Marin...Calm down…” he laughed, noticing a playful look in her eyes. A look he hadn’t seen since their night at the bar, only now there was something reserved. Something she was keeping to herself. “You sure you’re good?” he asked.







Part of her wanted to tell him, and she didn’t understand why. As much as she wanted to be totally over Derek, she wasn’t, but this new life was helping. She needed to stay busy. This trip had come at just the right time, and she wanted to tell him that- Thank him for it - but now wasn’t the moment. They were on their way to honor HIM and his bandmates. 


“I’d be better if you let me read…” she teased. 


“Damn, okay then, “ he laughed. “Marin…”


“Yeah?”


“Thanks for coming...I mean...on this trip and all. For helping…”


“Of course…” she shrugged. 


There was a pause as they looked at each other.


 Riley noticed his eyes were softer, lighter. There was still a hint of a smile on his face as he looked stuck in a thought. The sweater he wore clung loosely to his arms and chest. He wore it with the ease he seemed to have doing anything. 


She smiled a little herself. Her hair had gone slightly wavy after taking it down form the bun she had it in before the flight. Her hoodie was too big on her, but Justin noticed how she somehow made it look polished, put together. Sitting in front of him now, she looked smaller than her presence and skill would suggest. She was more confident than she gave herself credit for, he thought.


“I’m gonna read…” she smiled, picking up her book.


“Okay…” he trailed off, pulling his headphones back up around his ears and settling back into his seat.


**


“Riley...Riley…” the whisper woke her up slowly. A hand gently touched her shoulder as she propped herself up, sending the open book on her lap falling to the floor.


“Hmmm...Johnny? “ she squinted “Sorry...I must have dozed off...what’s up?” 


She looked around and noticed Justin’s headphones on the table, but no Justin.


“Where’d he go?”


“That’s why I woke you up. He started freaking out. We were talking about the ceremony and the trip and he…” Johnny paused, not knowing how much Riley knew.


“...Drifted off?” Riley hinted. 


“Yeah...Walked off to his cabin. Been in there awhile. I tried, but...You think you can try to calm him down?”


Riley sighed. “Worth a shot.”


“Thank you. You know where to find me…”


She smiled “I got it. Thanks, Johnny.” He walked back up to his cabin, and Riley rallied. 

She slid open the partition to the center cabin. It was slightly bigger than hers, but open enough to see him had he been in the seating area. He wasn’t. Scanning the area, her eyes fell on the bathroom door. Occupied. The little red illuminated sign gave him away. 


She slowly walked over and waited, listening for any activity or indication he needed privacy, but it was silent except for his breathing.



Riley knocked on the door. “Justin...You ok?”


“Riley??”


“Yeah. You good? Johnny said-”


The door cracked open. “It’s been so long...This is...A big deal”


“Yeah, it is Justin. You deserve it, though...and those are your brothers.”


“Riley...there’s a lot you don’t know…”


She took a deep breath “Do you wanna talk about it?”

“No...I just…”


“Justin, they love you. Your fans love you. ALL of you. You are part of that. It’s gonna be a great day. You’re gonna be great. You always are…”


His breathing picked up a little and she saw his eyes shift. Oh no. Not here.


She lowered her voice to a whisper “JUSTIN! JUSTIN STOP. STOP IT NOW!”


He stared at her “Leave me alone, Riley, It’s fine. I’ll be fine.”


“NO! Justin….KNOCK IT OFF,” she continued, still hushed so no one would hear her.


He reached out and grabbed her hand.

“Justin..?”


“Riley, come here…” He slid the door open and pulled her in before she could stop him.


“Justin what the hell are you-”


“Shhh” he stopped her, pressing his lips on hers. 

She could have stopped him, but felt herself lean in. They fell against the wall, not much room to move. 


She deepened the kiss, and his hand pushed her shirt up. Gripping his arm, her hesitation was gone. 


He shifted her up against the sink slightly, moving to her hip to pull her yoga pants down on her hip.

 

She returned his move, undoing his fly and gripping the waistband of his boxers. 

 

He kissed her neck as she continued. 

“Damn, Riley…” he whispered in her ear..


Riley let out a breath that caught in her throat. He pushed himself against her, both hands on her hips as she wrapped her arms around him. He reached around for the elastic of her pants.

It was a perfect moment. And then - 


*DING DING * “The captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign due to turbulence ahead. Please return to your seats with your seatbelts securely fastened”


Justin pulled back suddenly, his distant eyes replaced by concern. “Shit.”


Riley searched and found her breath “It’s ok,” she spoke softly “Justin it’s ok it just-”


“No” he shook his head “Turbulence…”


Riley laughed. “Yeah...I’ll say…”


Justin smirked “I’m...I don’t actually like flying that much...nervous…”


She squeezed his hand. “You got this. Go sit down. Buckle up, Justin.”


He squeezed back before quickly re-zipping his pants and turning to leave 

 

“Buckle up, Marin…”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant celebrityj soloj enemiesturnedlovers