Chapter 2

A week had passed since Amanda's arrival back home.  She sank into work and desperately tried to forget about JC.  She hadn't heard from him much, only a few texts here and there.  She tried to imagine how busy he likely was and tried to tell herself that the whole meeting was nothing more than a great celebrity crush encounter.  These lies were her way to pushing down the idea that maybe it was fate that she had met JC.  She was aware how crazy it sounded to have swirling thoughts about a man she met for a few hours.

 

Over the last few days, she had told the story to Emma who was totally outraged that she had JC's number and wasn't blowing his phone up every second of the day.  That wasn't Amanda's style.  As much as she strongly considered throwing caution to the mind, she had never been the girl that could just add a notch to her bedpost. 

 

In an attempt to quiet her thoughts, she dove back into her work.  It was Friday and it was the day that she normally worked at home.  Her life at the office could be chaotic, so it was nice to end the week quietly and have the ability to focus without distraction.  It was inching towards 3pm and she was looking forward to having a quiet evening in her sweats with a bottle of wine.  She pushed up her sleeves and tried to concentrate on the last bit of work.

 

Moments later, she saw her phone flash with a new notification.

 

JC:  Happy Friday!  What are you up to?

 

Amanda couldn't help but smile.  He was thinking of her and she hoped he had been.

 

Amanda:  Hi!  Finishing up work, looking forward to some wine and a night in.  What about you?

 

Amanda pressed send and wondered if she had answered too quickly.  Emma would have probably coached her, but this was Amanda's small way of throwing caution to the wind.  It was getting harder for her to not let her mind wander and to not regret pursuing the idea of a one night stand in Chicago with JC.

 

JC:  I finished up some work earlier, trying to find a way to relax.

Amanda:  Wine always helps

JC:  That's true.  I was thinking about something you said and I wanted to send you something, but I'll need your address.

 

Address?  What could he possibly want to send her?  And there was no way she could willingly take anything more from him.

 

Amanda:  I still owe you from the other things you've done for me. 

JC:  You don't owe me anything.  Please?  Just trust me.

 

Amanda considered his offer.  She had no idea what he had in mind, but she did trust him.  Again, it was completely crazy to do so after only a few hours, but this was her chance.

 

Amanda:  If I don't give you my address, are you going to stalk me anyway?

JC:  Yes J

 

Amanda quickly typed in her address and hit send.

 

After nearly 2 hours had passed, she pushed her laptop closed, and walked into her bedroom.  This was her favorite part of her week.  Work was completed for now and she could uncork a bottle of cab and sink into the couch.  She quickly changed into some Lululemon leggings, an oversized, crew neck long sleeved shirt, and piled her hair into a messy bun.  Amanda strolled into the kitchen, selected a bottle of wine from her wine rack, reached into the cabinet for a glass and made quick work of pouring a glass.  She moved into the living room where she pulled out one of her favorite vinyl albums, Lambert, Hendricks & Ross.  She gently placed it into her record player and sank into the couch with wine in hand.  It had been a long time since she sat quietly and just listened to albums.  She had been listening to a lot of music over the last week after she considered what JC had told her.  Music was always there for her.  As she had closed her eyes to focus on some of the harmonies of the song, she was startled by her doorbell.

 

Who could possibly be at her house right now?  She placed her wine glass down on the coffee table and made her way to the front door.  She glanced quickly at the mirror in her foyer to ensure she wasn't a complete mess.  Good enough.  She swung the door open to find JC leaning against the jamb with his crystal blue eyes sparkling.

 

Her jaw nearly hit the ground and she felt her heart stop momentarily.

 

"We didn't finish what we started," he stated simply with a grin.

 

******

"So you really are stalking me?"  Amanda asked and grinned back.

 

"Is that your way of inviting me in?" 

 

There was the charming banter that Amanda had been replaying in her head.

 

"You can come in... I'm obviously floored that you're standing on my porch right now."

 

She stepped to the side to allow JC to enter her home.  JC Chasez was standing in her house.  He had on straight black jeans, a plain white t-shirt, and gray jacket which he had paired with the same Converse shoes he wore the day they met.  He looked sexy as hell.  Amanda was back to feeling like she was living out an actual dream.

 

"You look pretty, Amanda," JC said and lightly touched her arm.

 

Amanda rolled her eyes and grinned.  "I clearly was not prepared for you... or anyone to be here.  You can come and sit," she gestured to the living room.  "Would you like some wine?  I just opened a bottle of cab."

 

She tried to collect herself and focus on being a good hostess.  To JC Chasez - who had now taken a seat on her couch.  She was definitely reeling.

 

"Amanda?"

 

Amanda met JC's blue eyes once again and nodded.

 

"Can you stop and sit?"  JC grinned at her.

 

Amanda smiled, took a breath, and sat down beside him.  "I'm sorry, I just... I honestly didn't think I would see you..."

 

"What are you listening to?  Jazz... but I don't know who this is..."

 

"Lambert, Hendricks & Ross," Amanda explained.  "I had a choir director who made us listen to this album for inspiration.  It stuck with me."

 

JC moved his hand to her thigh.  "I like it.  I wish I could have been here for the part where you were relaxing with the wine."

 

Amanda could feel her heart beating out of her chest.  Why was he so flirtatious with her?  Clearly, she was enjoying every second of it, but it was hard to comprehend.

 

"I can bring the wine and try to get back to that place," Amanda said while standing up.  JC followed.

 

"I'm glad that the sitting portion of this visit lasted about 20 seconds," JC said with sarcasm.

 

Amanda scoffed as she entered the kitchen where she pulled out another wine glass and grabbed the bottle.  JC took both objects out of her hands and placed them back on the counter.

 

"You're not wondering why I'm here?"

 

"Of course I am," Amanda laughed and glanced down at the floor.  "Why are you here?"

 

"This is a thing I do.  I find pretty girls on flights, stalk them, and invite myself over for shock value."

 

Amanda laughed and playfully slapped his chest.  "Stop.  Why are you here?"

 

JC grabbed her hand.  "Honestly, it seemed pretty stupid to be so close and not see you."

 

Amanda used her other hand to nervously tuck a stand of hair behind her ear.  "Is this even real life?"

 

JC laughed.  "I think so.  Seriously.  I liked hanging out with you.  You live here, I live in LA, I want to know more about you."

 

"So your first instinct was to find my house and surprise the hell out of me?"  Amanda giggled.

 

"I didn't think you'd agree to see me otherwise," JC stated and ran his palms over his jeans.

 

"How did you get here?  You've been in Chicago all week?  How was the new artist..."

 

"Amanda.  We have all night, one at a time," JC said while flashing a grin.  "I teleported... no, I rented a car."

 

"You drove?!"

 

"What is that supposed to mean?" JC laughed.

 

"I'm just surprised... you were dedicated to seeing me, that's sweet."  Amanda's heart was beating out of her chest again.  "So you're here and I look like a hot mess.  Can I pour you wine now?"

 

"I'd love some.  Also, you look pretty - I said that already."

 

Amanda scoffed and collected the glass and wine bottle as she moved back to the living room.  She busied herself with filling the glass once she reached the couch.

 

"Honey, can you take the compliment?"

 

Amanda smiled.  He was so fucking charming.  "Yes, thank you.  This is not normally how I win men over."

 

"You're doing just fine with me.  Women are at their best when they don't try too hard."  JC settled back into the couch and Amanda handed him a glass.  She sat down beside him.  "Can I look at your collection?"  He gestured to her vinyl record and CD collection that sat in her living room.

 

"Of course; only if you don't judge me."

 

Amanda watched as JC thumbed through her vinyl display and took a sip of wine.

 

"You listen to everything," he commented.  "You have good taste."

 

"That's a massive compliment coming from you, thank you."  Amanda was really proud of her record collection.  It had taken her whole life to collect and develop.  She took another sip of wine and watched JC continue through her vinyl and move onto her CD collection.

 

"You have my record," JC stated and turned around to look at her.

 

"Obviously.  It's one of my favorites."

 

JC rolled his eyes.  "You're being polite."

 

Amanda curled her leg under her and relaxed into the couch.  "Come on, JC - it's like a mixtape of your favorite stuff."

 

JC sauntered back to the couch and sat beside her.  "That was the idea, I just wanted to make songs I liked.  I would re-do pieces of it if I could.  Everything was so rushed back then.  Can I pick the next record we listen to?"

 

Amanda nodded.  "Are you hungry?  I was going to order something.... We can go out too if you give me a bit to change?"

 

"We can order something... later," JC said with a shrug.  "Can I tell you something?"

 

Amanda paused and shifted to turn to him.

 

"I'd like you to stop being nervous and take a deep breath."  JC grabbed her free hand and gently rubbed over the top with his thumb.  Amanda swallowed and took a deep breath.  "Why are you so nervous?"

 

Amanda smiled a bit.  "Are you serious?  The flight was neutral territory, this is my house and you're in it."

 

"Should I go?"

 

Amanda squeezed his hand.  "No, I like you here.  It's just throwing me off.  You're in my house, JC Chasez."

 

JC laughed.  "I get it.  Your house is cool, stop being nervous."

 

Amanda nodded again and made a gesture with her hand.  "I can show you the rest of my house.  I'm being a bad hostess and didn't provide the whole tour."

 

Amanda stood up and grabbed his hand to lead him into the kitchen.  Her kitchen table overlooked her fenced in backyard and the dining area led to the hallway of her 2 bedrooms, office, and bathroom.  Her hallway was lined with a variety of photos of family and friends.  She guided him through all of it and they ended back where they started.

 

"How long have you lived here?" JC inquired.

 

"A little over a year.  I know it isn't much, but it was something hard I worked to buy on my own."

 

"I like the independent chick in you."

 

Amanda flashed a smile.  "What does that mean?"

 

"You own your own home, you like your job, you were listening to jazz by yourself when I got here."

 

"That makes me sound like a loner."

 

"No, it's cool.  I like that about you.  Your house feels like a home and that says a lot about you."

 

"That's nice, thank you...  See - I took a compliment," Amanda smirked.

 

JC circled his arms around her and Amanda's breath hitched when she felt how close he was to her.  He lifted his hand and her fingers brushed her cheek.

 

"Can I kiss you?  I've been wanting to since I left the airport.  I've regretted it..."

 

Before he could finish, she hungrily pressed her lips to his.  She felt her whole body tingle in the way that it had any time he touched her.  This moment had only happened in Amanda's wildest dreams and she felt herself melt into him.

 

******

JC and Amanda had ended up back on the couch.  Amanda had opened a second bottle of wine while JC had selected another record to play - Miles Davis.

 

Amanda lifted her glass and took a sip.

 

"I should have asked earlier, like prior to all of the wine... are you driving back tonight?"

 

JC reached to scratch the back of his neck.  "Well, I was hoping not."

 

"Are you being a little presumptuous, Joshua?"  Amanda said sarcastically with a chuckle.

 

"Maybe a little..." JC returned the smile.  "I have a bag in the car."

 

Amanda tapped her fingers on her thighs nervously.  "I would like you to stay here."

 

JC reached over and put his hand over her fingers to calm them.  "Clearly I was hoping for you to say that."

 

Amanda and JC ordered sushi for dinner and washed it down with several more glasses of wine.  They had ended up laying on Amanda's king-sized bed to watch a movie.  They were leaned up against her headboard comfortably as JC wrapped his arm around her to pull her closer.  Amanda rested her head comfortably on his shoulder.  She wasn't able to focus on the movie at all; being so near to the man she had adored for so many years made it difficult to concentrate on anything.

 

"When is the next time you're in LA?"  JC inquired quietly.

 

"Probably a few weeks?  I'm not sure exactly, I'll probably have to go to Atlanta first.  Where are you going next?"

 

"Home, LA.  I don't travel as much as I used to, most everyone I work with is in LA."

 

Amanda desperately wanted to ask him where this was all going, but knew it was far too soon to try and label whatever it was between them.  She didn't feel the need for that, but couldn't get over the fact that JC could be with any girl he chose, and yet, he was with her at the moment.

 

"JC, I need to ask you something," Amanda stated as she picked her head up off her shoulder while JC turned to her and nodded.  "We just met and I'm not trying to get anywhere here, but I can get really in my feelings here..."  She felt him rub her arm gently while she brushed her hand nervously over the white comforter.

 

"Amanda.  Stop being nervous," JC said in a calming manner while Amanda took a deep breath.  "I think I know what you're trying to say.  Listen, I've gotten to a point in my life where I need someone in my life who doesn't treat me like a ‘celebrity.'  You're the first person I've met in a long time who knew who I was and didn't cause a scene.  I like talking to you, I like that we have music in common, I like being here at your house and feeling comfortable.  Is that okay?"

 

"More than okay," Amanda blushed.  "I'm getting in my own head.  And I have to admit, you're so fucking cute that I'm a little freaked out."

 

JC chuckled.  "You're really fucking pretty."

 

Amanda leaned back into JC with a huge grin, rested her head back on his shoulder and snuggled in.  While she knew from following his career that he seemed like a genuinely good person, it was becoming more apparent that she was just naturally comfortable with him.  With JC the person, not the JC that she had watched growing up.  It scared her to think that she could be in a place again that she had strong feelings for anyone, much less someone who had so much complexity and fame.  JC had managed to get know more about her than anyone had and in a very short amount of time.  She had nerves around him, but she was totally at ease when making conversation with him.  She was about to dive into her thoughts when she felt JC shift beside her.  She glanced over to him.

 

"Are you getting in your thoughts again?" JC asked with a smile.

 

Amanda weakly smiled and nodded.

 

"I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but can we lay down?"  JC unwrapped his arm from around her and started moving pillows.

 

Without answering, Amanda slid down on the bed to make space and watched as JC did the same.  Once he had gotten comfortable on his back, he pulled Amanda's arm to force her to rest on his chest.  Amanda felt herself melting into him and breathing in his cologne again.

 

"Can I ask you something?" JC said as he exhaled a contented sigh.

 

"You have a lot of questions today," Amanda joked.  "Yes."

 

"How are you not dating anyone?"

 

Amanda groaned.  "We're doing this already?"  JC shrugged.  "Well, I've been sitting out for a while after my last relationship.  I've been focusing on work for a while I guess."

 

"Why did your last relationship end?" he asked and quickly added, "You don't have to answer."

 

"No, it's fine.  The short version is that he was selfish, had other issues, and wasn't interested in committing.  You can hear the long version some other day if you want."

 

JC shook his head in agreement.  "Sounds like a lot to unpack there."

 

"Trust me, I've done the work.  You?"

 

"She cheated.  I've been doing the same as you, focused on work."

 

Amanda took in sharp breath.  The way he said it made her believe that it came from a painful place.  She could relate to that.  "I'm sorry, you don't deserve that."

 

"No one does.  You didn't really answer my question though - how are you not dating anyone?"

 

"Um.  I guess I don't know how to answer that?"

 

JC tucked a piece of Amanda's hair behind her ear.  "You're the kind of girl who should be taken."

 

"I'm totally fair game, Chasez," Amanda grinned and perched her chin on his chest.

 

JC leaned over and brushed his lips to hers.   "Cool."

 

Before she knew it, they had both drifted off to sleep.

 

******

Amanda rolled over and blinked in the morning light.  She quickly remembered that she had fallen asleep next to JC, but he wasn't lying next to her now.  That meant that he had either left in the middle of the night or was exploring in her house which caused her a moment of panic.  She quickly rolled out of bed, did a quick check in the mirror, and stepped into the hallway.

 

Once she turned the corner, she saw that JC was in her office, seated at her Yamaha Clavinova wearing headphones and was definitely in his own world.  He had changed into a pair of sweatpants at some point and his hair was tousled from sleep.  Amanda watched for a moment in amazement.  The man she had dreamed so much about was sitting at her electric piano in her house.  She smiled to herself and moved closer so she could scoot in on the piano bench next to him.

 

Once he realized that she was next to him, he removed his headphones and smiled at her.

 

"Hi.  You forgot to show me this on the tour," he said with a grin.

 

"Hi.  I didn't know I needed to point it out.  What were you playing?"

 

"I've had an idea for a few days and saw the opportunity to play around."

 

Amanda nodded.  "I didn't mean to fall asleep on you last night.  You should have woken me up."

 

"No way.  I was comfortable and so were you," JC shrugged and hung the headphones back in their place.  "Will you play something for me?"

 

"No way," Amanda said with a chuckle.

 

"Why not?"

 

"You had a much better chance last night with the wine," Amanda slid off the bench and walked to lean again the frame of the door.  "Are you hungry?  I can make some breakfast?"

 

"You cook, too?  Are there things you can't do?"  JC asked with a smirk.

 

"You haven't heard me play piano, so I guess we'll find out.  Is there any food you won't eat?"

 

"I can't cook, so I can't complain about what others make for me."

 

Amanda walked into the kitchen and started pulling out eggs, hashbrowns, and a few other items.  It had become a weekend ritual of hers to make brunch and start the day slowly, so she always had essentials in the fridge.  As she started sorting through ingredients, she felt JC put his hand on the small of her back.

 

"Can I help?"

 

"You just said you don't cook," Amanda pointed out with a grin and started cracking eggs into a bowl.  "No, really, I'm good.  You can go back to working if you want, I really don't mind.  I like the idea that you may have written something in my house."

 

"I didn't come here to work, honey."

 

Amanda grinned.  She hoped she would never tire of him calling her honey.  Her stomach did a flip every time he flirted.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love producerjc