JC and Mitchel crossed the street quickly. It was cool and moist for a spring Southern California evening. JC turned up the collar on his jacket, while Mitchel breathed a few warm breaths into his fist. The walk was longer than expected. After leaving the Long Beach Convention Center, the two old friends grabbed dinner at a small Indian restaurant. They decided to grab a drink or two at Mitchel's urging. The hotel bar at the Renaissance seemed to lack any kind of character, so the young woman at the concierge, with cropped bangs, horn rimmed glasses and a neck tattoo that peaked out of the side of her collar, recommended the Stache. She was local, it was her favorite spot, they had an interesting craft beer list, and it was close but far enough away that the hoard of elementary school teachers also attending the music education conference would not be there, which was ideal. JC was not recognized as frequently anymore, as his *NSYNC days were long behind him, but there was something about elementary school teachers. They always knew who he was, they were always fans, and they still screamed. The two men weaved through the small cluster of tattooed smokers holding court outside the bar, opened the door, and went in. 

The inside was dark, and had a purple hue. It was full of people, who looked like they had stepped off the set of Grease, but there were still two seats available at the end of the bar, so the two men pushed their way through the crowd and had a seat. 

"Time warp!" Mitchel laughed. "Is this Morrissey?"

"Yeah, man. Not what I'm used to. I can dig it, though," JC chuckled.

The two men ordered beers and fell into a rhythmic conversation, when a small woman in a Dodgers Jersey, cut off shorts, and Birkenstocks squeezed between the two. She spun around Mitchel. "Sorry," she yelled over the music.

"We take your seat, hon?" JC asked, preparing to stand.

Nicole spun to face him, placed her hand on his shoulder, then wrapped the other arm around the front of him, leaned forward, and reached down. "No! No, I just left my purse on this hook here under you. You're good." She smiled with a wink and slung her purse over her shoulder. She moved her hand from him and reached for her drink, still on the bar. Securing both her drink and her bag, she turned, and resumed her place next to Kike by the pool table. He wrapped one arm around her shoulders, guided her hips with his to the rhythm of the music, leaned in and pressed his forehead against hers. 

"Very different crowd than you're used to?" Mitchel laughed. 

"Any crowd is different than I am used to these days. J and I keep a low profile." He laughed, but turned back to Nicole. 

Kike had now picked her up, she wrapped her legs around his waist, and he kissed her neck, just above her chest. Nicole drained the rest of her drink and flung her head back. He put her down, and they swayed some more to the music. Kike again placed his arm around her shoulders and guided her to a small group. They talked, but Nicole wasn't processing the words. She was just glad she hadn't gone home, without Kike, that is.

"Another one, Mama?" he asked, again moving his lips to her ear. 

His breath made her insides ignite. Should she have another, or suggest they go across the street to her place? Question of the evening. Oh hell, what was one more? "Yeah." 

His powerful embrace around her shoulders compelled her toward the end of the bar to the seats now occupied by JC and Mitchel. After the quantities of alcohol Nicole had consumed, she was not as steady on her feet. That should have been the first sign she probably should have stopped, but she was having fun. She squeezed in between Kike and JC. JC turned to look at her as he felt her body brush against his side. 

Recognizing her from their last encounter, he smiled wide and the corners of his blue eyes crinkled. "Leave something else?" he asked. 

She smiled back. "My fine motor skills, maybe," she slurred and tried to laugh. Kike pulled her closer to him, and she turned to face him. Her head may have turned easily, but the room seemed to be a few seconds behind. 

"The same?" he asked, leaning his head toward Marcus. 

Nicole squeezed her eyes shut and shook her head. Hoping it would help focus her vision. "What?" 

"Gin in tonic?" Marcus asked her. 

"Ye-yeah," she stuttered and nodded her head in the affirmative. 

Kike pulled her into another tight embrace and pressed his lips to her neck. While it was a welcome experience, she was not prepared and stepped back. Again, brushing against JC. He turned his attention on Nicole again. He watched as she leaned toward Kike, licked her tongue across his lips, gave him a quick peck on the cheek, removed herself from his embrace and said, "Bathroom." 

Hoping a quick pit stop would help her regain some coordination, she joined three other girls in the bathroom line. No sooner had Nicole left the bar than Marcus had returned with her drink. Kike picked it up, and took a sip. JC watched him out of the corner of his eye and then turned his full attention back to Mitchel. Mitchel quickly re-directed JC's attention, as with wide eyes he quickly flicked his head to the side, silently requesting JC to turn back the opposite way. He turned just in time to see Kike place something into the drink. He wasn't quite sure he understood what he saw, but when Mitchel looked shocked, he knew exactly what was happening. 

"Hey! What are you doing?" JC asked, sharply turning his full body toward Kike. 

"What's up bro?" Kike responded. 

"She looks like a sure thing. You're going a little far, putting something in her drink. Seems unnecessary."

"You don't know what the fuck you're talking about." Kike spoke through gritted teeth and leaned closer to JC, establishing his dominance.

"Friend, I don't want trouble, it's just... I can't let you give that to her." JC stood up. He was not prepared to fight anyone, but he couldn't let this slide. 

Kike picked up the drink, but JC tried to bat it away. Then, again, for the third time that night, a brush against JC's side distracted him. He turned as Nicole danced her way back between the two men. "Shut your mouth. How can you say, I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved. Just like everybody else does..." she sang along with the song. She faced JC, "Secret, this is the only Smith's song I actually like. I'm such a poser!" she laughed, turned, and grabbed the drink from Kike.

JC grabbed her wrist. "Don't drink that"

"The fuck, dude?" Nicole was startled.

Kike shoved JC and Mitchel finally rose from his seat. JC raised his arms, signaling he wanted no part in a physical altercation. Nicole eyed both men. "What the hell is happening here? Kike, let's go." 

JC grabbed her arm and pulled her back against him. She was not steady enough on her feet to keep her balance, and she fell against his chest. "Ouch. You're hurting me," she yelled, pushing off of him.

"Don't drink that. He put something in your drink."

She fought to remove JC's grip, "Get offa me! What the fuck?" 

"He put something in your drink, I can't let you drink that." JC continued to swat at her drink. 

"You're out of your mind, guy!" She eyed him and took a long sip. He hit it out of her hand, and it splashed on the bar top. Immediately, a large, barrel-chested, bearded man rushed toward Nicole and JC. "You're out!" He grabbed them both and started to escort them out. JC pulled away, walking out on his own. Nicole, on the other hand, was putting up a fight. Mitchel followed behind, but Kike sunk back into the crowd and tried his best to blend in. JC held the door open, as the bearded bouncer threw Nicole out with some force. She was off balance already, and had trouble staying on her feet. She fell to her knees, and JC tried to help her up. She swatted at his hand. 

"What the fuck?" She stood up and turned back, expecting to see Kike behind her, but when the door opened and Mitchel walked through, she turned back around and stared JC down. "Are you out of your mind? What are you doing? I don't even know you!" Nicole yelled. The louder her voice got, the more her head started to swim. Words just came flying out, but they weren't the most coherent. 

JC grabbed her by both arms just above the elbows. Shook her gently, "Honey, he put something in your drink. While you were gone. We saw it." He turned to look at Mitchel, who nodded in confirmation. 

Nicole heard the words, but struggled to understand the meaning. She watched his mouth move again as he said something, but what it was he said, she did not know. His lips kept moving. And she blinked a few times. Her head fell forward, and she slumped toward his chest and became limp in his hands. Mitchel stepped forward and tried to help her back up right. JC placed one hand on her face, and patted her cheek in an attempt to wake her up. She quickly came to and smiled. 

"Hey, what are you doing? Is she okay." A stranger across the street yelled. 

"Yeah, yeah, just too much to drink," Mitchel called back.

Just what JC needed, for people to notice him with an unconscious girl in his arms. "Do we call the cops?" JC asked. 

Mitchel wasn't sure. "Will that look bad?" he asked JC.

"We can't just leave her here." 

"Get her an Uber, maybe?"

"Mitchel, to where?"

"Look in her purse, maybe she has an ID?"

JC walked Nicole a few feet to a bus stop bench and sat her down. She was not unconscious, but struggled to stay upright, so he leaned her back against him as he stood behind her. Mitchel started to dig in her purse, looking for her wallet, and immediately her phone rang. He handed the phone to JC. 

"Honey, you want to answer this. Maybe they can come get you?"

Nicole laughed in response. 

The phone stopped ringing. But, it quickly started again. Matty D. showed up on the display. JC swiped to answer the call. 

"Hello?" JC said.

"Who's this?" said a gruff voice on the end of the line.

"Hey, I'm Josh. I'm with this girl you're calling."

"You're with Nicole? Who are you?"

"Nicole. Yeah. We met at this bar. The Stache. She's had too much to drink. I'm not sure how to get her home."

"Don't you touch her! I swear to god, you lay one finger on her and I will find you and I will end you."

"Hey, friend. I am just trying to help her. We are outside the bar. It's called the Stache. Do you know it? At a bus stop. I don't think she can go further. I was going to call an ambulance. Unless you want to come get her."

"Is this some kind of sick joke?" 

JC tapped the FaceTime icon on the phone and watched as a young man appeared on the screen. This is me. I am Josh. Is this Nicole? He lowered the phone down in an attempt to get Nicole in the frame. Matt saw Nicole leaning against the front of a man's body. He tried to call out to her, but she didn't respond. JC raised the phone back up to his face.  I am not trying to hurt her. I am helping. Take a screenshot. Can you come get her? I can stay until you get here. Otherwise, I'm going to call 911."

"I'll be right there. 10 minutes. I'm not far." The phone clicked as Matt took a screen shot of JC's face

"Okay."

JC sat down next to Nicole on the bus bench. He placed his arm around her, under her armpits, to keep her up right. Nicole's head lobbed from side to side. Every so often, she would catch his eye, and she would smile. Mitchel stood in front of them to block the view of others, lest they think something inappropriate was happening. 

"We going back to my place?" Nicole slurred looking at JC. She raised her eyes and saw Mitchel, "Ooo a friend. You coming too?" She laughed. "Fun! I'm just there," she pointed across the street to a giant gray and blue building. 

"You live there?" Mitchel asked. 

"Yeah, lesgo. I promise a good time." Nicole slurred and rolled her head back once again to face JC. "You're not Kike." She closed her eyes tightly and tried to shake her head, hoping it would clear up some of the fogginess rolling in. 

"No, no, I'm Josh. This is Mitchel. Matty, Matt? He is coming to pick you up."

"Matt. Where's Matt?" She tried to stand up, but JC's hold kept her seated. 

"He's coming."

"Fuck. Him. And. His judgement. This is my life. If I want to take you home, I can."

If not for the seriousness of this situation, JC would have laughed right out loud, but he felt bad for her. She wasn't just a sloppy drunk, she had been drugged, and while he knew she was safe in his care for the time being, he couldn't help but feel sorry for her. 

As they waited for her friend to arrive, Nicole fell very silent. JC thought she may have fallen asleep, but suddenly in a moment of complete lucidness, Nicole bolted straight up. And took a few steps toward the curb. 

Mitchel intercepted her before she reached the street. "Where ya going? We're waiting for Matt, remember?" 

Nicole placed a hand on her forehead, and scooped her hair back, flipping it to the side. "I'm going home." She tried to take a step, but Mitchel continued to block her progress. 

Exasperated, JC rose from the bench and walked toward her. He placed his hand on her elbow, and gripped lightly. He tried to pull her back toward him, and back to the bench, but she tried to shake him loose. He gripped her arm tighter. 

"Get your fucking hands off of me. I will scream!"

He tried again to pull her back toward him, "C'mon, just sit. Matty, your friend, will be here any minute."

"I don't want Matt. Take your hands off me." 

She again tried to break free, but he pulled her back. Her balance failed slightly and she rolled her ankle. In the process, one of her sandals slipped off. Regaining her balance, she turned sharply, and with her free hand, she slapped JC across the face. Hard. JC pulled back in pain and Nicole had to shake her hand in an attempt to alleviate the stinging. Mitchel went to attend to JC, and Nicole saw it as her chance to escape. She turned quickly and started to run toward the curb, deciding to leave her shoe behind. She did not take more than two steps when she slammed into the chest of another man. She looked up and saw Matt looking down at her, wrapping his arms around her small frame. 

"Nicole, what the hell!?" He whispered. 

"I'm trying to go home. These assholes won't let me."

Matt looked at Mitchel and then at JC, who was still holding his face.

"Look, man, we were just trying to help," Mitchel explained. 

"He put something in her drink. Her boyfriend, or the guy she was with," JC explained. She drank some of it before I could tell her about it. You may want to call the police. Or take her to the hospital, or something. But we gotta go." 

"Who was she with?" he asked the men. "Who were you with, Nic?"

"Matt quit acting like my father. I am an adult and can take home whoever I want." She explained, still trying to get across the street. 

"Hang on, I will walk you. Just give me a minute." Matt released his hold on her.

"What's your number? Both of you." Matt asked, pulling out his phone. 

"Why?" Mitchel asked. 

"I have no fucking clue what happened here. I'm gonna call the cops, and if you're not guilty of doing anything, then you will give me your number." 

"You don't need our number, man. We helped; we did our part." JC started to walk away. 

"I have your picture, I took that screenshot. I will give it to the police. You wanna make this easy?" 

"C, it's cool, I'll give him mine." Mitchel started to rattle off numbers. 

"No, the both of you. Here, call me, I want to see that you aren't fucking with us." Matt warned. He puffed up his chest to make himself appear bigger. He wanted to look like he wouldn't take no for an answer. 

"Jesus! Fine," JC sighed, thinking it wouldn't be the first time his number got out, and he had to change it. He was ready to do just about anything to get out of this situation. 

The men called Matt, and once he was satisfied that the numbers were real, he took Nicole's arm and began walking her home, across the street.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: affair triangles otherwoman boyfriendjc postsync producerjc moodyjc friendswithbenefits cheaterjc