Author's Chapter Notes:

Isn't it funny when a comment makes you want to post more and kinda gives you motivation to get the words from brain to paper to computer?? :) 

Chapter 9

While at happy hour with Molly and Lucy, Annie’s text message alert went off

‘What do you mean you’re off the project?’

Annie didn’t want to talk to Justin about what happened, so she turned her phone onto vibrate.

"What was that about?" Lucy asked.

"Nothing – just work shit," Annie mumbled taking a sip of her drink.

"So how was Millington?" asked Molly.

"Ehhh, it was home. I’m going back next weekend, because we’re cleaning out the office in the house, so dad can move in, and Clare could get her own room. And then everything from the office, is going to the apartment above the hardware store to be turned into the new office."

"I thought Clare liked sharing a room with Finn."

"I did too, but she says that he snores too loud for her, and she’s been climbing into bed with Connor and Carly almost every night, which isn’t good for either of them."

"Yeah"

"Plus Scott said he would come and help, so that’ll be nice," Annie said as her phone kept shaking the table with it’s vibrations. She looked down and saw that Trace had joined the message.

‘What’s going on? Didn't you guys have a meeting about the house plans this morning?"

‘Yeah, but I had to go to LA last minute, so Jessica went by herself.’

‘Oh’

Lucy couldn’t stand the table vibrating anymore, so she grabbed Annie’s phone.

‘What are you doing Luce?"

"Going to try and shut up the vibrating until we’re done’

‘What are you bickering hens bickering about? We’re trying to enjoy happy hour here! So STOP it!! –Lucy’

‘We’ll stop when we find out why Annie is no longer working on the house, and until then we’ll just keep bugging you girls *Wide Smiley Emoji and Tongue sticking out emoji*’ Trace replied.

"So you pulled yourself off of Justin and Jessica’s house project?" Lucy questioned.

"Yep," Annie said, taking in the last of her drink.

"So the meeting with Jessica and Justin ended up going lovely then," Molly said rolling her eyes.

"Oh yeah, real lovely," Annie sighed. "The meeting only happened with Jessica, since Justin had to go to LA at the last minute. So yeah it only went as good as you think it went."

"Ooo… please… do tell!"

"Well the fact that she had multiple pages of demands for this house, like a 2-story closet, 2 nanny rooms, 2 maid rooms. She wanted the master bedroom on the complete opposite end of the house from the other bedrooms, so when they have kids, they won’t disturb her beauty sleep. Then she wanted 4 to 5 different architectural styles for the house. When she asked if I still had the list, I told her that it’s on the side of I-40, and that this was Nashville, not LA. Then she says that she ALWAYS gets what she wants, so at that point I just pulled myself off. I sent the plans to them last night, and Justin said they looked good and reminded him of home, and then today I get the pain-in-my-ass daddy paid everything and I don’t have to work a day in my life bitch."

"Can I smack her? That would be great!" Molly smirked.

"Sure, I don’t care."

"Alright, next time I see her, I’ll smack her for you."

"Awww, thanks!"

"You’re welcome," Molly smiled grabbing her purse from the hook under the table. "But I got to go, Jason and I are going out for dinner."

"Aww," Lucy cooed, as Molly rolled her eyes.

"Have fun!" Annie smiled as her and Lucy also grabbed their bags and headed to their cars.

"So let me know how that convo with Justin and Trace work out," Lucy said giving Annie a hug.

"I will. I’ll probably wait until tomorrow to respond. They can wait," Annie laughed returning Lucy’s hug.

"Alright lady, I’ll text you later."

"Sounds good," smiled Annie as they went their separate ways.

While on the drive home from happy hour with the girls, Annie got a call from Connor. 

"Yo," Annie responded. 

"So, I talked it over with dad, and instead of moving everything out of the office for dad's bedroom, we just figured it would be better for him if he were to move into the upstairs apartment."

"Okay, sounds good to me."

"Less stuff to move and go through. Plus that he has the freedom to come and go without waking Finn and Clair, and have his buddies over I guess."

"Yep."

"Plus it kind of keeps the tradition alive, since when mom and dad took over the house, grandma and grandpa moved into the apartment, and now that Grandma lives with Uncle Will. It's dad's turn to move in." 

"Okay." 

"So you don't have to come over next weekend, since Jamie is already coming over, I'll put him to work."

"Okay." 

With so many one word answers coming from Annie, Connor started to get worried. 

"And then maybe we can get Clare a pony." 

"Sounds good."

"Annie, are you even listening?"

"Yeah, sure. Dad moving into the apartment, Jamie helping out, Clare pony. Got it."

"Is everything alright?" 

"Yeah, it's just work and work meetings and that's all. Look Connor, I just got home. So I'll call you later," Annie said hanging up the phone as she got out of the car and walking into the house. 

As soon as she got settled at home, Trace texted her separate of the group text. 

'You home?'

'Maybe...' but before she got the chance to hit the send button, he was already calling. 

"I don't think I've ever been so popular with all the phone calls and text that I've been getting these last few weeks," she answered, grabbing a pint of Ben & Jerry's out of the freezer. 

"So did you really pull yourself off of their house project?" 

Plopping herself on the couch, and eating a spoonful of ice cream, "Maybe... but are you really shocked that I did?" 

Trace sat on the other side of the phone thinking about it, "Probably not- especially knowing how the first meeting went. So what happened?" 

"I emailed them the basic outline plans the other day when I got back into town, Justin said he liked them, and then this morning there I was in a meeting with just Jessica, cause Justin had to fly out to LA, telling me it's not what they had envisioned for their house, and where were the required items she wanted. But then I told her that it was implied they were only suggestions, and that her list was somewhere along I-40, and that I should go find it because she always makes sure she gets what she wants... so I gave her something she wanted- pulled myself off. Simple as that..." 

"I saw the plans and thought they looked great..."

"Right! Thank you! But now I'll just have another firm have this clown house under their portfolio, because there's no way I'm putting my reputation or even the firm's reputation on a clown house, I don't care who it's for. I know exactly why she's doing it, and I know it shouldn't bother me but it does..." 

"Why is she doing it?" Trace asked already knowing the answer. 

"Because like she'd said before she wants me to end the friendship with Justin, I keep telling her it's not going to happen, and to stop thinking that I'm a threat to her because I'm not. I might have to ease her mind and tell her that "That Girl" was actually about her, and not me." 

Trace started laughing on the other end of the phone. 

"But you already know it probably won't ease her mind at all, since she's hated me from the time minute we met." 

"She didn't hate you..." 

"Oh yeah, her opinion of me was already set before actually meeting me in person. The night we all went to dinner to meet her, was the moment I knew her opinion of me would never change, doesn't matter what I do."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: trace originalcharacter best friends bestfriends