Chapter 5:

Later that night, heavy pounding on her front door woke up Annie.

At first, she thought it was part of her dream- so she just lay there, until it happened again, and this time the pounding was also yelling her name.

"Annie! Annie!" the pounding yelled.

Sighing, Annie knew that voice, she threw the cover back and released Scott’s arm from her waist, only to have him re-grab her and pull her closer to him.

"Scott, let go," Annie said just as he rolled onto his back.

"Annie! Annie! I need to talk to you," the pounding said with even more pounding.

"What’s going on?" Scott asked not opening his eyes.

"One of my bags just returned," she said pulling on some boxer shorts and a t-shirt that was on the bench at the end of the bed.

"Do you need help?"

"No- I got it, just go back to..." but before Annie was able to finish the sentence, Scott was already back snoring away.

Shaking her head, she grabbed her phone, and headed downstairs and to the front door.

"Ann…" the pounding yelled just as she opened the door.

"Hi Brad," she said leaning against the door jam.

"We need to talk."

"No, we don’t. Plus, you’re going to wake up the entire neighborhood," Annie said stepping on to the porch and closing the front door behind her.

"Why’d you embaresses me tonight at the concerts?" Brad asked slurring his words.

"I didn’t embarrass you- you did it yourself and you’re still drunk. How’d you get here?"

"I drive."

Annie saw Brad’s truck halfway on the sidewalk and halfway onto her yard.

"I’m calling Jamie to come get you."

"Don’t call Jamie. I’m perfectly fine, now why’d you embarrass me tonight?"

"Brad, I’m calling Jamie. You’re still drunk, and like I keep saying you embarrassed yourself," she said calling her brother.

Brad’s buzz was starting to wear off as he took a seat on the porch steps, while Annie talked to her brother.

"Uh huh… okay… whatever.. I’ll see you in 10 minutes."

After Annie hung up with Jamie, she took a seat next to Brad. "He’ll be here in 10 minutes to take you back to your place."

"Okay," Brad mumbled with his head in his hands, then looked over at Annie and noticed her outfit.

"Sorry to have waken you up."

"Ehhh, it’s okay. I have an early morning meeting anyway.

"I’m sorry."

"It’s okay."

"Annie…"

"Hmmm.." she replied, wishing Jamie could be there already, because she didn’t like the way this conversation was going, no matter which direction it was heading.

"Do you ever think about what it would be like if we didn’t get a divorce?" Brad asked leaning his head on her shoulder.

"Sometimes, but it’s all in hindsight now," she said, not flinching when his head hit her shoulder, in fact she kinda missed it.

"What about if you hadn’t miscarried those 2 times, do you think we would have still gotten a divorce?"

"Brad," Annie signed tightly closing her eyes. "I don’t know, I can’t say for sure if the miscarriages never happened that we would still be married. I would like to think that it would have never happened, but I don’t know if you would have cheated still and we would still have gotten a divorce."

"I’m sorry Annie, for all the pain I’ve caused you."

Annie wiped the tears that were threatening to fall from her eyes.

"A person as wonderful as you defiantly doesn’t deserve a jerk like me. I’m so sorry Annie."

At that moment, Jamie came rolling up in his patrol car and Annie couldn’t’ have been more relieved.

"Awww, look how cute you two look," Jamie teased his little sister and his ex-brother-in-law.

Annie rolled her eyes, as Brad stood up.

"Just get him home, I would have sent him in his own vehicle, but by his parking job decided not to," Annie said as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Okay, but what are you doing to do about his truck?"

"Probably have a tow truck come and get it in the morning," Annie said rubbing her eyes, hoping Jamie didn’t see the possible tears coming. However, he was her brother, and she knew he would notice.

"You okay?" Jamie asked looking at Annie.

"Yeah," Annie choked out, "Everything’s fine, but I have a meeting in the morning, so I should get back to bed."

Jamie just looked at her not believing her, but knew not to push the issue this late at night. "Alright, well text or call me tomorrow, k?"

Annie just nodded as Jamie hugged her and kissed her on the cheek.

"I love you little sister," he whispered before heading to his patrol car.

As soon, as they drove away, Annie headed back into the house. She closed the front door behind her, and leaned against it, wanting to burst out crying, but nothing came out, even with all the weird emotions she was having his week, but she wasn’t quite sure if it was from that or the pure exhaustion she was feeling.

She made her way back upstairs and to the bedroom, where she crawled back into bed with her back to Scott. He once again grabbed her by the waist and pulled her close.

"Everything okay?"

Annie just nodded ‘yes’ in reply, because if she opened her mouth, she was afraid of what could come out.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: trace originalcharacter best friends bestfriends