Chapter 4:

After work, Annie decided to meet up with Samantha and Trace to get drinks before the show, and to pass the time before Scott joined them, after his parent/teacher conferences.

"I hope you have my $50 Sammie," Annie smirked at her friends, as their beers were delivered.

"Actually, Trace has it," Samantha laughed knowing that Trace wasn’t paying attention to them, but instead to some sporting event on one of the TVs that was in the bar.

"Oh, well might as well up it to $100," Annie laughed.

"Fine, by me… it’s not my money," Samantha laughed along.

Trace returned his attention back to the laughing girls that he was with.

"What are you two laughing about?"

"Nothing babe," Samantha said patting him on the shoulder.

"So Justin said you two had breakfast this morning," Trace said taking a sip of his beer.

"Yeah, he was waiting for Jessica’s flight, so he stopped by the office and wouldn’t leave until I agreed to go to brunch with him. Plus, he paid- so that was the seal to the deal, but it wasn’t actually that bad."

Trace put his hand on Annie’s forehead, "Are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah of course," Annie rolled her eyes swatting Trace’s hand away. "I mean there were a few biscuits and creamers that didn’t survive, but it went fine."

"What did you guys talk about?" Samantha asked

"Just about things that needed to be talked about."

"Like…"

"Like- he wanted to know about Brad and I, so I told him the story, and then I got some answers about the article that talked about ‘That Girl.’

‘That’s it?"

"In a nutshell- yeah," Annie said playing with the top of her beer glass. "Oh, and he asked if I wanted to come with him to pick up Jess at the airport?"

"What did you say to that?"

"I just started laughing, and told him that Jess isn’t a big fan of me and then I asked if he ever knew why I wasn’t at their wedding."

"Did you tell him what Miss Lynn told you about what she found?"

"Yeah, and he actually looked shocked about what I said, but whatever"

"So should Trace just give you the $100 now then?"

"Huh? What about $100?" Trace asked, once again not really paying attention to the girls.

"No I don’t wanna give away the pleasure of you seeing the dirty looks through the night," Annie smiled, just as Scott arrived at their table.

"Hey babe," Scott smiled giving Annie a quick peck on the lips.

"Hi!" Annie smiled as Scott took a seat at the table, and quickly joining Trace in their own little boys world.

"Oh, but I asked if he would do a favor at tonight’s show," Annie said with a huge smile on her face.

"What do you mean favor?"

"Yeah, what do you mean favor?" Scott asked, quickly changing his attention back to Annie.

"He’s just going to add a song to his playlist. That’s it, nothing too exciting."

"What song is he adding?" Trace asked looking suspiciously at her.

"’The Thunder Rolls,’" Annie shrugged.

"What are you up too Annie Grace," Trace was concerned about this one, even using her middle name.

"Well we all know Brad is going to weasel his way in- well Justin and I made it a little easier and that’s the song that will be dedicated to him. Let’s just say that you’ll understand what I’m talking about at the show, and I’m just going to leave it at that."

"So you and Justin are all right then? Samantha asked.

Annie slowly nodded, "Yeah, but I’m still pissed at him about the article."

"As you have every right to be."

By this time Scott and Trace went back to their own side conversation.

A little while later, the four of them made their way over to Bridgestone Arena and proceeded to the will call window to get their passes.

"Last name and photo ID please," the older lady at the ticket window said.

Annie handed over her ID, "Sullivan."

The lady looked at her ID and then back at Annie, "But your ID said Atkinson."

"Yeah, I know- there should be a note on the envelope explaining the reason why it says Atkinson."

"Oh, I see it now, and there’s also instructions saying that before I had over the passes you have to repeat a secret phrase," the lady said looking at her quite confused.

Annie at that moment got a text from Justin with what she had to say and mumbled, "I’m going to kill him."

"You’re holding up the line miss, what’s the phrase?" the lady said.

"Yeah, I’m not saying it, so I’m just going to show you what I’m supposed to say on my phone," Annie said passing her phone through the slot in the window.

"That works, I guess," the lady said returning Annie’s phone along with an envelope.

"Thanks," Annie smiled, leaving the ticket window and going to return to the group.

"What took so long?" Trace asked.

"Just Justin trying to put one over on me, but I outsmarted him," she said going through the envelope and handing Scott his pass, just as she heard her text message alert go off.

"Annie- I know this is late notice, but we scheduled a new client meeting in the morning at 8am. See you there" – the text from her boss, Richard, said.

As soon as she was about to put her phone back in her back jean pocket, her text message alert went off again. "Richard stop it," she mumbled taking another look at her messages.

This time it was from Justin, "You suck- I know you didn’t say the phrase. Anyway Jessica wants to talk to you, so come down to the dressing room."

"Errr," she mumbled.

"So, what’s the plan now?" Samantha asked.

"Well I know you and I are going to see J, but what about you two?" Trace asked looking at Annie and Scott.

"Well looks like we’re going with you because Justin just texted me and said Jessica wants to talk to me," Annie shrugged.

"Why?" Samantha asked as Annie just shrugged in response again, as they made their way back to where to load-in garage area was.

"Hey Frank," Trace smiled to one of the security guards.

"Hey Trace," Frank said, as the group passed him.

As they made their way down the hall towards the dressing room, they saw Jessica talking to one of the tour crewmembers.

"Hey speak of the devil," Trace smiled.

Jessica looked over in their direction and waved, she then finished up her current conversation and headed their way.

Annie took a heavy sigh as Scott squeezed her hand in support.

"Hey Guys!" Jessica smiled giving Trace a hug.

"Hi Jess," Trace said.

"I’m so glad you guys are here, so J is in the dressing room so go see him, cause I need to steal Annie away for a little bit," Jessica said connecting elbows with Annie.

Annie’s eyes got wide at the gesture; she didn’t know what was going on. She looked at Trace for help, but all he did was stifle his laugh, which in return made Annie give him the dirty look.

"So Annie and I will catch up to you in a little bit okay," Jessica said dragging Annie away from the group.

"If I don’t return in 30 minutes call the police!" Annie shouted behind her.

"Oh Annie, you’re so funny," Jessica laughed as they went into the room where the catering was being set up.

Jessica looked around the room to make sure it was just she and Annie.

"So what’s up?" Annie asked trying to cut the tension in the room.

"We need to talk…"

"Yeah I got that, so what do you want to talk about?"

"You and Justin"

Annie started laughing, "Me and Justin?"

Jessica just stared at Annie not amused that she was laughing at this quite serious matter.

Annie saw Jessica just looking at her and stopped laughing, "So what about me and Justin?"

"I want you two to stop hanging out together," Jessica said crossing her arms over her chest.

Annie copied her, "Not going to happen. Wait! Hold on! Does this have anything to do about the article? Because I didn’t find out about it until a few days ago."

Jessica rolled her eyes, "I just think that you being here is a distraction for him, and he doesn’t need that."

"Me? A Distraction? Really? You’re kidding right?"

"I think it’s better for him if you’re no longer around."

"Better for him, or better for you? Just 2 days ago, I saw him for the first time in almost a year, and then it was him who came to my office and offered to go to brunch, so I’m just thinking that you think that I’m a threat and that it’s better for you that I shouldn’t be friends for Justin anymore," Annie said as Jessica shifted in her seat. "Sorry Jessica, you might have kept me from your wedding, but there’s no way you’re keeping me from one of my best friends- someone whose been there for me from the first day of kindergarten. Justin and I have been through more shit together that you can't even imagine. So, if you want to break up a 30 plus year friendship- go ahead but you’re going to be the one to tell Justy."

And with that Annie got up from her seat and headed back to the dressing rooms, where the rest of the group was, and leaving Jessica by herself.

As soon as Annie walked into the room, she blurted, "Justin- your wife is a bitch."

Everyone in the room looked at her.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh- I just had the loveliest conversation with her, and I think it would be best for her to tell you what we talked about. She’s down at catering if you wanna go see her," Annie smirked, taking a seat between Trace and Scott.

Justin looked at her and then left to go see what Jessica was up to.

"So what happened?" Samantha asked.

"Oh, she told me that I needed to stop hanging out with Justin because I’m being a "distraction" to him," Annie said leaning onto Scott.

"Wait? You’re the distraction?"

"I guess," she shrugged. "I’m read to head to the bar after that encounter."

Scott stood up, and held out his hand to help Annie stand up.

"We'll see you guys out there," Scott said, making his way to the door with Annie behind him.

Before Annie closed the door she said, "Oh and if Justin really wants to know what Jessica and I talked about, cause I’m sure she’s going to make it my fault. I have it recorded on my phone, so if he wants to hear it- just let him know, okay."

"Will do- see you two in little bit," Trace smiled as the dressing room door closed.

Bridgestone Arena was slowly filing up with people as Annie and Scott made their way to the VIP bar area and lucky for Annie, Jason was one of the bartenders for the event.

"Hey you two!" he said as he poured Annie her drink. "What can I get you Scott?"

"Just a beer- doesn’t matter," Scott smiled.

"So where’s Molly?" Annie asked.

"She’s working tonight," Jason replied handing Scott his beer.

"And Lucy is out of town," Annie nodded.

"Yep."

That’s when Annie’s text alert went off.

What did you say to Jess? She was crying when I found her.

Annie just replied with an eyeroll emoji and then wrote: I didn’t say anything to her- and was her crying more sniffling and then big loud cries because my dear friend that is what is called a ‘fake cry.’

Then Justin quickly replied: We’ll talk about it later

Uh huh – Annie replied just as Trace and Samantha joined them.

"Did she really pull the fake cry and fake tears shit?" Annie questioned Trace.

"It’s great to see you too Annie! I would love a drink!" Trace jokingly responded. "Yep, she did and as soon as J went to hair and makeup- those tears dried up faster than a lake in Southern Cali.

Annie shook her head at what Trace just said, and decided to let it go for the night, as this was neither the time nor the place to get into with Jessica.

Throughout the concert, Justin did an amazing job as he usually does and every time Annie was always amazed by his performance, even though she’s seen him perform countless of times.

Justin made it to the little stage in the back of the arena, while at the same time, Trace was making sure Annie was right next to the stage for Justin’s plan.

"Trace- what are you doing?" Annie shouted.

"Justin has something for you," he shouted back.

"Yeah, I know but I want to enjoy it over at the table with everyone else."

"Well, he planned for more…"

"What, are you…"

But before Annie could finish her question, she was being pulled up the stairs to the stage.

"What are you doing?" she mouthed to Justin.

He just rolled her eyes in response, if Jessica hated Annie now, this just might be the tipping point for the murder of Annie by Jessica.

"So Annie- how long have we known each other?"

Then someone handed Annie a microphone. "Um… since kindergarten."

"And earlier today, you asked me to do a favor for you."

"Yeah, but it wasn’t this…"

"But you wanted to add a certain song to the playlist to be sung for a certain person."

Annie just looked at him.

"And what song was that and who was it for?"

"The "Thunder Rolls" in honor of my not-so-lovely ex-husband Brad.

"That’s when a spotlight lit Brad and his date, also showing them on the video screens.

Brad had two beers in his hands, and his date was yelling at him for some reason, plus it was almost obvious that Brad was way past his drinking limit. Then someone who was sitting behind him, mentioned that he was on the video screen.

"Say Hi Brad!" Justin said. "And this next song is dedicated to you from Annie, but I’m not the one that’s going to sing it. Ladies and Gentleman… Mr. Garth Brooks!" The roars of the audience just explode and Justin was giving the "We’re not worthy" move.

One of the camera operators just stayed on Brad, who was staring at the stage very confused as his date just kept yelling or talking to him and wasn’t paying attention to what really was going on.

Annie just stood there speechless.

"So as Justin said- this song is dedicated to Mr. Brad Atkinson from your ex-wife Annie."

Just as Garth Brooks started the song, Annie headed off the stage. Her mind in a fog, cause she still can’t comprehend what just happened.

Instead of watching Garth perform, Annie watched Brad the entire time and by the end of the song, his date had thrown one of his beers on him and then walked out. You could tell by the look on his face that he was embarrassed and pissed off.

"You okay?" Scott whispered in Annie’s ear, so she could hear him over the music, and putting the hand on the small of her back.

Annie just nodded, taking his hand and turning it into a hug and then a kiss.

Scott smiled breaking the kiss.

"Thank You," Annie whispered.

"Why are you thanking me?"

"Just thank you for dealing with me and all my baggage and shit."

"We’ve all got baggage babe, but tonight I think you just got rid of one of the bags," Scott smiled.

Annie smiled back, and pulled Scotts head down to kiss him once more. "I love you."
"I love you too."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: trace originalcharacter best friends bestfriends